independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Katrina's Paper Dolls (demo)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/09/21 8:25am

1nonly

avatar

Katrina's Paper Dolls (demo)

Saw this on youtube. Is this a fairly new leak? I've never heard this one before.

Walking alone in the dark, I see nothing u see
I can be in a park, or flying in the…in the deep sea
I wish u’d hold my hand; then everything could b
There’s nothing strange, we’re not deranged
We only want everyday 2 b a Cosmic Day
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/09/21 8:31am

ufoclub

avatar

I searched and only found what sounds like him covering it live during a rehearsal.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/09/21 8:34am

1nonly

avatar

ufoclub said:

I searched and only found what sounds like him covering it live during a rehearsal.

That could be it. [Snip - luv4u]

Walking alone in the dark, I see nothing u see
I can be in a park, or flying in the…in the deep sea
I wish u’d hold my hand; then everything could b
There’s nothing strange, we’re not deranged
We only want everyday 2 b a Cosmic Day
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/09/21 8:37am

LoveGalore

1nonly said:

ufoclub said:

I searched and only found what sounds like him covering it live during a rehearsal.

That could be it. That could be it. [Snip - luv4u]

Yep - that is a rehearsal. Very chill groove, though. I listen to it often.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/09/21 10:41am

lustmealways

avatar

this whole jam session is spellbinding. i can (and have) listen to Lisa from this for hours on end

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/09/21 12:02pm

Mindbells9

avatar

This comes from the collection of a well-known former band member. Back in 2016, not long before Prince died, I met this former band member and found out we lived within 3 miles of each other. Of course, I asked if they had any unreleased songs from their time with Prince, and they told me "No."

A month later, Prince dies and this band member starts reaching out to me more and more and we struck up a friendship. They admitted to me that they did in fact have a box of tapes that hadn't been heard, full of rehearsals, demos, soundchecks, etc. They invited me over and played some of these things for me, and of course my jaw dropped. I didn't want to come out and ask if I could have a copy of these things, so I decided not to bring it up unless they did. A couple of days later, I was asked if I would be willing to transfer these tapes to digital files for them, and put them on a flash drive and of course I jumped at the chance. This box contained about 40 tapes, some labeled, but a lot of them weren't. I kept this quiet because I didn't want to betray their trust, but then I found out they were sharing the files with some fans online, so I shared them myself with one of my best friends, and of course we set out to use this stuff to find more uncirculating stuff. And we did! But, we also found out how shitty this trading game is. Because of shady traders, and greedy people selling this stuff to Eye Records, a lot of this stuff has come out on bootlegs or leaked. In fact, these events either directly or indirectly kickstarted the big leak of tracks we got in 2016-2018, after traders started stabbing each other in the back and leaking each others shit out of anger lol

A lot of those Purple Rain soundchecks and concerts that Eye records put out was from this collection. The leak of "Dear Michelangelo", the "Someone 2 Call" soundcheck, the so called "banjo version" of "U Got The Look",First Avenue 1983 soundboard, and the rehearsal of "The Ladder" that was overdubbed and released on ATWIAD, the recent leak of the extended outro of "Life Can Be So Nice" and tons more were all from this band member's collection. They eventually sold the physical copy of these tapes to a group of private collectors, so what hasn't leaked out yet will eventually, I'm sure of it. Unfortunately there really isn't much more jaw dropping things to leak from this collection, as about 95-98% of it is already out there. One interesting thing I remember is that they had a copy of "Camille" on cassette in this collection...but one of their family members had recorded over it with some house music from a local radio station neutral

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/09/21 2:06pm

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

Mindbells9 said:

This comes from the collection of a well-known former band member. Back in 2016, not long before Prince died, I met this former band member and found out we lived within 3 miles of each other. Of course, I asked if they had any unreleased songs from their time with Prince, and they told me "No."

A month later, Prince dies and this band member starts reaching out to me more and more and we struck up a friendship. They admitted to me that they did in fact have a box of tapes that hadn't been heard, full of rehearsals, demos, soundchecks, etc. They invited me over and played some of these things for me, and of course my jaw dropped. I didn't want to come out and ask if I could have a copy of these things, so I decided not to bring it up unless they did. A couple of days later, I was asked if I would be willing to transfer these tapes to digital files for them, and put them on a flash drive and of course I jumped at the chance. This box contained about 40 tapes, some labeled, but a lot of them weren't. I kept this quiet because I didn't want to betray their trust, but then I found out they were sharing the files with some fans online, so I shared them myself with one of my best friends, and of course we set out to use this stuff to find more uncirculating stuff. And we did! But, we also found out how shitty this trading game is. Because of shady traders, and greedy people selling this stuff to Eye Records, a lot of this stuff has come out on bootlegs or leaked. In fact, these events either directly or indirectly kickstarted the big leak of tracks we got in 2016-2018, after traders started stabbing each other in the back and leaking each others shit out of anger lol

A lot of those Purple Rain soundchecks and concerts that Eye records put out was from this collection. The leak of "Dear Michelangelo", the "Someone 2 Call" soundcheck, the so called "banjo version" of "U Got The Look",First Avenue 1983 soundboard, and the rehearsal of "The Ladder" that was overdubbed and released on ATWIAD, the recent leak of the extended outro of "Life Can Be So Nice" and tons more were all from this band member's collection. They eventually sold the physical copy of these tapes to a group of private collectors, so what hasn't leaked out yet will eventually, I'm sure of it. Unfortunately there really isn't much more jaw dropping things to leak from this collection, as about 95-98% of it is already out there. One interesting thing I remember is that they had a copy of "Camille" on cassette in this collection...but one of their family members had recorded over it with some house music from a local radio station neutral


dead

If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/09/21 2:27pm

SoulAlive

1nonly said:

ufoclub said:

I searched and only found what sounds like him covering it live during a rehearsal.

That could be it. That could be it. [Snip - luv4u]

music that demo/rehearsal is fantastic!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/09/21 2:30pm

Ramzoo

avatar

Mindbells9 said:

This comes from the collection of a well-known former band member. Back in 2016, not long before Prince died, I met this former band member and found out we lived within 3 miles of each other. Of course, I asked if they had any unreleased songs from their time with Prince, and they told me "No."


A month later, Prince dies and this band member starts reaching out to me more and more and we struck up a friendship. They admitted to me that they did in fact have a box of tapes that hadn't been heard, full of rehearsals, demos, soundchecks, etc. They invited me over and played some of these things for me, and of course my jaw dropped. I didn't want to come out and ask if I could have a copy of these things, so I decided not to bring it up unless they did. A couple of days later, I was asked if I would be willing to transfer these tapes to digital files for them, and put them on a flash drive and of course I jumped at the chance. This box contained about 40 tapes, some labeled, but a lot of them weren't. I kept this quiet because I didn't want to betray their trust, but then I found out they were sharing the files with some fans online, so I shared them myself with one of my best friends, and of course we set out to use this stuff to find more uncirculating stuff. And we did! But, we also found out how shitty this trading game is. Because of shady traders, and greedy people selling this stuff to Eye Records, a lot of this stuff has come out on bootlegs or leaked. In fact, these events either directly or indirectly kickstarted the big leak of tracks we got in 2016-2018, after traders started stabbing each other in the back and leaking each others shit out of anger lol


A lot of those Purple Rain soundchecks and concerts that Eye records put out was from this collection. The leak of "Dear Michelangelo", the "Someone 2 Call" soundcheck, the so called "banjo version" of "U Got The Look",First Avenue 1983 soundboard, and the rehearsal of "The Ladder" that was overdubbed and released on ATWIAD, the recent leak of the extended outro of "Life Can Be So Nice" and tons more were all from this band member's collection. They eventually sold the physical copy of these tapes to a group of private collectors, so what hasn't leaked out yet will eventually, I'm sure of it. Unfortunately there really isn't much more jaw dropping things to leak from this collection, as about 95-98% of it is already out there. One interesting thing I remember is that they had a copy of "Camille" on cassette in this collection...but one of their family members had recorded over it with some house music from a local radio station neutral




Thanks 4 sharing. Shocked that this band member could sell (cash grabbing ?)even share...
Don't like so much the "Life Can Be So Nice" outro.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/09/21 2:37pm

Marco81

Any idea which of those tapes haven't come out yet? There's a few Purple Rain tour soundchecks with very detailed tracklists on Princevault, but they are not circulating, at least not widely...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/09/21 2:43pm

lustmealways

avatar

eternally seeking more info on the le zenith soundcheck from august 86' w/ coco boys for the love of god dm me

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/09/21 3:04pm

lustmealways

avatar

Marco81 said:

Any idea which of those tapes haven't come out yet? There's a few Purple Rain tour soundchecks with very detailed tracklists on Princevault, but they are not circulating, at least not widely...

A while back when those two PR soundchecks got out I was told there were a few more in the pipeline to come out, and some rehearsals that weren't purple rain era too. also a few things i had never heard about before. no clue as to if that has any relation to this tape collection, but i thought it was interesting.

would be very interested to know exactly what was left from this collection, i have some guesses, but am not certain.

[Edited 6/9/21 15:06pm]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/09/21 3:33pm

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

Mindbells, was there a track listing or any of the album left on the camille tape?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/09/21 5:00pm

Mindbells9

avatar

coldcoffeeandcocacola said:

Mindbells, was there a track listing or any of the album left on the camille tape?


No, the cassette just had "Camille" typed on both sides.This was one of the ones with no cassette case or J-card. And both sides were recorded over, so there was no way to tell if there were any differences from the released tracks.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/10/21 4:57am

sulls

avatar

The leak of "Dear Michelangelo", the "Someone 2 Call" soundcheck, the so called "banjo version" of "U Got The Look",First Avenue 1983 soundboard

UGH! I LOVE the banjo version and wish it would have seen release on the SOTT SDE! Is this better quality than what was leaked???
"I like to watch."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/10/21 8:32am

Mindbells9

avatar

sulls said:

The leak of "Dear Michelangelo", the "Someone 2 Call" soundcheck, the so called "banjo version" of "U Got The Look",First Avenue 1983 soundboard UGH! I LOVE the banjo version and wish it would have seen release on the SOTT SDE! Is this better quality than what was leaked???

No sir, unfortunately the version on the source tape was shitty as well.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/10/21 9:01am

Number23

I Fink I know the leaker.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/12/21 5:22am

muleFunk

avatar

Mindbells9 said:

sulls said:

The leak of "Dear Michelangelo", the "Someone 2 Call" soundcheck, the so called "banjo version" of "U Got The Look",First Avenue 1983 soundboard UGH! I LOVE the banjo version and wish it would have seen release on the SOTT SDE! Is this better quality than what was leaked???

No sir, unfortunately the version on the source tape was shitty as well.

cool

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Katrina's Paper Dolls (demo)