independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Mr. Nelson on the Northside documentary.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/26/21 4:17am

TurnItUp

Mr. Nelson on the Northside documentary.

I recommend any fan or anyone interested in knowing more about Prince to see this documentary because it's well put together. Also a great thing to see since Netflix is taking their slow time.

I'm always glad to see something that showcases Prince's legacy in a positive way. The trailer is available on Youtube along with the link.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/26/21 5:06am

Vannormal

avatar

-

Mmmmok. Curious to see if the facts are right.

Considdering most documentaries being mediocre to pure crap.

-

What I don't get is that these documentaries never have Prince music.

yeah i kinow the shit with licence and all.

Still very shitty.

It's all about his music, and what we get ? Porn background low fi plastic funk.

-

[Edited 4/26/21 5:18am]

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/26/21 5:44am

camilleisfunky

Vannormal said:

-


Mmmmok. Curious to see if the facts are right.


Considdering most documentaries being mediocre to pure crap.


-


What I don't get is that these documentaries never have Prince music.


yeah i kinow the shit with licence and all.


Still very shitty.


It's all about his music, and what we get ? Porn background low fi plastic funk.


-

[Edited 4/26/21 5:18am]


Since you claim to understand the 'shit with licence', why are you complaining about the lack of music? A lot of work was put into this documentary and it's very interesting actually. It's better generally to see the glass half full.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/26/21 6:52am

coldcoffeeandc
ocacola

avatar

Well done doc-makers, no matter the plastic porno funk!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/26/21 7:00am

Vannormal

avatar

camilleisfunky said:

Vannormal said:

-

Mmmmok. Curious to see if the facts are right.

Considdering most documentaries being mediocre to pure crap.

-

What I don't get is that these documentaries never have Prince music.

yeah i kinow the shit with licence and all.

Still very shitty.

It's all about his music, and what we get ? Porn background low fi plastic funk.

-

[Edited 4/26/21 5:18am]

Since you claim to understand the 'shit with licence', why are you complaining about the lack of music? A lot of work was put into this documentary and it's very interesting actually. It's better generally to see the glass half full.

-

Oh I agree, that it's better to see the glass half full indeed.

It's just that my expectations about most announced Prince documentaries are often fulfilled.

Anways, You're right, I better keep my big mouth shut until i've actually seen it.

wink

Here's the link to the official :

-

https://onthenorthside.com/about-the-film

-

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves.
And wiser people so full of doubts"
(Bertrand Russsell 1872-1972)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/26/21 7:27am

laytonian

Vannormal said:

-

Mmmmok. Curious to see if the facts are right.

Considdering most documentaries being mediocre to pure crap.

-

What I don't get is that these documentaries never have Prince music.

yeah i kinow the shit with licence and all.

Still very shitty.

It's all about his music, and what we get ? Porn background low fi plastic funk.

-

[Edited 4/26/21 5:18am]


Each piece of music played in a for-profit production would be expensive to obtain rights.
Is this the same production as has been streamed?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10016152/

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/26/21 7:58am

lynx

I also find stuff like this hard to watch without the original music

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/26/21 10:02am

Giovanni777

avatar

Isn't this a "pay per view" affair?

"He's a musician's musician..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/26/21 10:14am

AZStreet

avatar

Watched it last night. I liked it. An hour is too short obviously but I still liked it. Spike Moss (The Way) brought up a good point...when P died, nobody came to North MPLS to check on them cause they were mourning too so he was appreciative of this doc.

I believe with the music, most of the folks who were interviewed in the doc contributed.

"You know, this is funky but I wish he'd play like he used to, old scragglyhead son of a...*smack* OOH!"

"Who's the foo singing will it's would"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/26/21 11:58am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

There is a thread on this already: https://prince.org/msg/7/466443

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/26/21 1:27pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

Not a great doc.
Thought it would be about his beginnings and local collaborators but its just a potted history
Disappointing
Some nice little interview bits but it's all over the place
Shame as I'd love a doc on princes early period, hearing from his friends, early bands, etc
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/26/21 6:05pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

TrivialPursuit said:

There is a thread on this already: https://prince.org/msg/7/466443



Please post on that link folks. lock this dupe thread

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Mr. Nelson on the Northside documentary.