independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Those sideway buttoned pants
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/09/21 7:46am

Monarch

avatar

Those sideway buttoned pants

Ok I noticed all the way from the mid 80s till the mid 90s Prince would wear these pants that always had 3 or so diagonal buttons. This isn’t really something you’d come across in stores with the occasional exception of jeans with buttons instead of zippers. I realize most of his stage clothes were custom but he was pretty consistent about this. Was this a particular style that I just simply couldn’t find? Were these called something in particular? They always looked so nice.
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/09/21 11:50am

Germanegro

avatar

Bandolier pants, I belive is the term for such garments to identify the cross-way button pattern. These were probably a style more worn by women as well, if I am not mistaken.

hmmm

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/09/21 12:16pm

Monarch

avatar

Germanegro said:

Bandolier pants, I belive is the term for such garments to identify the cross-way button pattern. These were probably a style more worn by women as well, if I am not mistaken.


hmmm




Well I’m not finding anything online as far as bandolier clothing. But there are fashion accessories called that with cross style work. I’m assuming it might have been something from the 70s maybe that he turned it into his own.
[Edited 3/9/21 12:16pm]
Chuck Norris can kill two stones with one bird.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/09/21 1:32pm

Germanegro

avatar

Don't the matadors wear something like those pants?
>
Anybody else? tumbleweed
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/09/21 4:35pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Germanegro said:

Don't the matadors wear something like those pants? > Anybody else? tumbleweed


No. Matador's pants are high waisted (like Prince later wore) and had a zipper.

I can't find anything particular with the pants style, but maybe it has a name. I think it was more of a style or fashion choice. They do remind me of the Navy dress uniform with the cracker jacks pants, which had a regular set of buttons underneath, but then a huge flap on the front with 13 buttons. It's pants you wanna wear and NOT have to pee anytime soon.

"eye don’t really care so much what people say about me because it is a reflection of who they r."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/10/21 4:28am

IwonderMe

Jimi Hendrix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPtv14q9ZDg

Mick Jagger

https://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a66/GLIMMERBOY/GLIMMERBOYA/MICKSDACKS.jpg

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/10/21 5:54am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

the Regency era maybe?

Trousers, top flap

Breeches silk - 18th century - part of a wedding suit. From the Ham House collection, Surrey. Image @National Trust

Detail of buttons at the knee. Breeches image @Met Museum

Country attire of buckskin breeches, clawhammer coat, and hessian boots.

Country or morning attire of buckskin breeches, clawhammer coat, and riding boots.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
https://www.youtube.com/w...7Xc21b6BYE
Keep Looking
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/10/21 7:28am

Genesia

avatar

Why don't people alert me when we're going to talk about clothes? rolleyes

There's nothing magical about this type of fly. Like a sleeve vent, you can make a button fly in pretty much any shape you want. You can have a vertical fly, a diagonal fly (like Prince wore in the mid 80s) or even dual flies (with two openings at either side front).

It's somewhat rare to see an exposed center-front button fly in modern pants - they are usually more of a "covered placket" style. But Prince wasn't really about convention.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/10/21 7:34am

Margot

I think Prince liked buttons.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/12/21 7:24pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Genesia said:

Why don't people alert me when we're going to talk about clothes? rolleyes

There's nothing magical about this type of fly. Like a sleeve vent, you can make a button fly in pretty much any shape you want. You can have a vertical fly, a diagonal fly (like Prince wore in the mid 80s) or even dual flies (with two openings at either side front).

It's somewhat rare to see an exposed center-front button fly in modern pants - they are usually more of a "covered placket" style. But Prince wasn't really about convention.

you mean by an orgnote?

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
https://www.youtube.com/w...7Xc21b6BYE
Keep Looking
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/22/21 6:02am

jfenster

The direction of his erection
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/22/21 7:07am

Genesia

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Genesia said:

Why don't people alert me when we're going to talk about clothes? rolleyes

There's nothing magical about this type of fly. Like a sleeve vent, you can make a button fly in pretty much any shape you want. You can have a vertical fly, a diagonal fly (like Prince wore in the mid 80s) or even dual flies (with two openings at either side front).

It's somewhat rare to see an exposed center-front button fly in modern pants - they are usually more of a "covered placket" style. But Prince wasn't really about convention.

you mean by an orgnote?


It was a rhetorical question. rolleyes

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/22/21 8:32am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Genesia said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

you mean by an orgnote?


It was a rhetorical question. rolleyes

11 Yes I know it was rhetorical...

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
https://www.youtube.com/w...7Xc21b6BYE
Keep Looking
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/22/21 9:13am

Genesia

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Genesia said:


It was a rhetorical question. rolleyes

11 Yes I know it was rhetorical...


Nice try – but I don't think you did.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/22/21 9:40am

laytonian

Those directional buttons were intended to lengthen the look of his legs, which were somewhat short in comparison to his trunk. Sometimes, a stripe substituted for the side seam buttons. Couple that with 3" heels and a tall hairdo or hat, he'd have some great proportion.
Ever notice the high collars?
Not only did they serve to lengthen his look but they disguised his long neck. Long hair or high collar.

He actually, alone, would look tall and thin. Unless he stood next to others.
[Edited 3/22/21 9:41am]
Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/22/21 12:29pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Genesia said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

11 Yes I know it was rhetorical...


Nice try – but I don't think you did.

12 yeah I did, cannot tag people on the Org

You should create thread on the fashion

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
https://www.youtube.com/w...7Xc21b6BYE
Keep Looking
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/22/21 12:31pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

jfenster said:

The direction of his erection

LOL I read on a FB someone tying that in with the image of the pants/buttons on the 1999 cover, I forget how they tied it in, but



21273312_1439349572784899_8199690428196866811_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=a83260&_nc_ohc=tPEaQahwHNYAX-tc9T8&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&oh=524e460347e9a0084100d0f2dca45141&oe=607DAD41

23795630_1511064428946746_8990231696946267969_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=a83260&_nc_ohc=m26pQ7S7PS0AX-wlIGd&_nc_ht=scontent-bos3-1.xx&oh=66575730a3d0710c1e62e404423a1b3e&oe=607EDC0E



#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
https://www.youtube.com/w...7Xc21b6BYE
Keep Looking
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/22/21 12:33pm

Genesia

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Genesia said:


Nice try – but I don't think you did.

12 yeah I did, cannot tag people on the Org

You should create thread on the fashion


Why are you numbering your posts? And what does tagging people on the Org have to do with the price of pork?

You don't know what a rhetorical question is, do you?

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/22/21 12:42pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

smile
biggrin
lol

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
https://www.youtube.com/w...7Xc21b6BYE
Keep Looking
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/22/21 12:48pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

The earliest we see him/camp with the buttons is the Controversy era/tour

some hip 2 ankle, others knee to ankle(he want back to the latter during the early 90's)

I don't think they wore the buttons on the front during this time


May be an image of 1 person

May be an image of 6 people

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
https://www.youtube.com/w...7Xc21b6BYE
Keep Looking
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/22/21 7:40pm

Germanegro

avatar

Genesia--I will try remember to send U an Orgnote when a fashion thread appears. It is always cool to read inspired and informative comments! I thought it was cool for OF4S to ask.

Genesia said:



OldFriends4Sale said:




Genesia said:




Nice try – but I don't think you did.




12 yeah I did, cannot tag people on the Org



You should create thread on the fashion




Why are you numbering your posts? And what does tagging people on the Org have to do with the price of pork?

You don't know what a rhetorical question is, do you?


biggrin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/23/21 12:08pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator


This is what true Purple Academicians do... yoda




The trousers were high-waisted, dangerously skintight, ruched and elasticated from the knee below with stirrup elastic detailing. Opposing buttons were strategically placed along the side seams of the trousers and diagonally across the flat waist front to give the illusion of an even smaller waist. Prince was known for his energetic performances and the trousers allowed him to cavort on stage freely with ease. During the Purple Rain tour, the trousers were sewn up in lucid brocades, see-through laces and tactile damasks. Variations of this style of trouser were not just worn by His Royal Badness, in fact, affiliated artists Sheila E and Sheena Easton also wore the style throughout the 1980s. Towards the end of the decade, the trousers no longer had elasticated gather but shared a similar silhouette with exaggerated buttons.


-Marie France & Louis Wells(Prince designers 1981-)

Monarch said:

Ok I noticed all the way from the mid 80s till the mid 90s Prince would wear these pants that always had 3 or so diagonal buttons. This isn’t really something you’d come across in stores with the occasional exception of jeans with buttons instead of zippers. I realize most of his stage clothes were custom but he was pretty consistent about this. Was this a particular style that I just simply couldn’t find? Were these called something in particular? They always looked so nice.

#ALBUMSSTILLMATTER
That's what U want, TRANSCENDENCE. When that happens, O Boy -Prince 2015
https://www.youtube.com/w...nm2Qq6QTFs
#IDEFINEME
https://www.youtube.com/w...7Xc21b6BYE
Keep Looking
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/01/21 7:33pm

Wlcm2thdwn3

avatar

His KISS pants. kiss

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Those sideway buttoned pants