independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New Power Soul
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/05/21 2:26pm

Farfunknugin

avatar

New Power Soul

New power has yet to be released, wonder why?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/05/21 2:34pm

lustmealways

avatar

great album, hope it gets a super deluxe. come on is a career higlight.

sorry, haters.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/05/21 2:47pm

OperatingTheta
n

I love the album. I'm aware this is a highly unpopular thought, but I'd be more excited by a New Power Soul super-deluxe than Parade. There's so much mystery about the unreleased music Prince recorded in 1998, including the Beautiful Strange and Madrid 2 Chicago solo album projects.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/05/21 2:47pm

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Love this album

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/05/21 3:25pm

fragglerock

avatar

It's an NPG album, none of them have been rereleased, why would this one?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/05/21 5:43pm

OperatingTheta
n

fragglerock said:

It's an NPG album, none of them have been rereleased, why would this one?


If any NPG album were to be rereleased it would be NewPower Soul as Prince is on lead vocals for every song and appears prominently on the cover. It's also the only NPG album he extensively toured.

Essentially, it's a Prince solo album in all but name. What qualifies it as an NPG album is more its exclusive focus on funk, soul and party tracks, than it being a true group recording.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/05/21 6:00pm

RobotFix

avatar

I sighed with relief when I donated my copy to Goodwill. lol

Givin' up food for funk.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/05/21 7:26pm

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

Youd be more likely to get a rave SDE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/06/21 3:37am

databank

avatar

OperatingThetan said:

fragglerock said:
It's an NPG album, none of them have been rereleased, why would this one?
If any NPG album were to be rereleased it would be NewPower Soul as Prince is on lead vocals for every song and appears prominently on the cover. It's also the only NPG album he extensively toured. Essentially, it's a Prince solo album in all but name. What qualifies it as an NPG album is more its exclusive focus on funk, soul and party tracks, than it being a true group recording.

It's officially a NPG album and apparently the present Sony contract only, specifically included material released under the names Prince, Prince And The Revolution, Prince And The New Power Generation and prince with the apparent exception of TBA. Simple as that. End of topic. But Michael Howe just said that some Paisley Park Records side projects were considered for eventual rerelease, no doubt that also applies to NPG Records side projects, so it'll come.

.

It really doesn't make much of a difference who sings or plays on an album BTW. All NPG albums are Prince albums in all but name.

.

And it's titled Newpower Soul, not New Power Soul. New Power Soul is the track on Exodus. Actually all these years we've been using the abbreviation NPS when it should have been NS.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/06/21 4:19am

udo

avatar

Farfunknugin said:

New power has yet to be released, wonder why?

.

Why oh why do I have it on my shelves, since 1998 or so?

Please rephrase to be without doubt.

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/06/21 5:47am

databank

avatar

udo said:

Farfunknugin said:

New power has yet to be released, wonder why?

.

Why oh why do I have it on my shelves, since 1998 or so?

Please rephrase to be without doubt.

Yeah, that was my first thought, too lol

Many orgers aren't native English speakers, though, so we all speak Globish biggrin

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/06/21 5:57am

cfluid

I think OP means re-released anyway. I love this album I have loved it since it's release. I didn't even know Prince had released it until I walked by it in Best Buy one day. I like all the songs on it except 1 and that is ShooBeDoop. The One was kind of a hit on the R&B stations here in Chicago back then. Wasted Kisses is a nice little surprize as a bonus song. I haven't listened 2 the entire cd in awhile, I'm currently in2 Crystall Ball, but I may have 2 play NewPowerSoul next. I've seen where some people on the org absolutely hate this album but I could never understand why really. I have always wished there was more information out there about the makings of this album so a Super Deluxe would be fine by me! My wife and I have great memories of this album and it's time period!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/06/21 5:58am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

id like to think theres better songs in the vault than what came out on NPS

but im not sure im right there.

this def had one of his all time worst covers though.

cant believe he was still using the mic gun prop in the late 90s.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/06/21 6:28am

databank

avatar

cfluid said:

I think OP means re-released anyway. I love this album I have loved it since it's release. I didn't even know Prince had released it until I walked by it in Best Buy one day. I like all the songs on it except 1 and that is ShooBeDoop. The One was kind of a hit on the R&B stations here in Chicago back then. Wasted Kisses is a nice little surprize as a bonus song. I haven't listened 2 the entire cd in awhile, I'm currently in2 Crystall Ball, but I may have 2 play NewPowerSoul next. I've seen where some people on the org absolutely hate this album but I could never understand why really. I have always wished there was more information out there about the makings of this album so a Super Deluxe would be fine by me! My wife and I have great memories of this album and it's time period!

Oh, that I can tell you: emotional problems, daddy didn't read their thoughts and fulfil their every wish every second of the day, so they got mad as hell.

.

I also hope someday more info surfaces on the 1997-1998 sessions, everything after 1995 or so is vastly underdocumented by comparison to the first 15 years...

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/06/21 7:18am

LoveGalore

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

id like to think theres better songs in the vault than what came out on NPS


but im not sure im right there.


this def had one of his all time worst covers though.


cant believe he was still using the mic gun prop in the late 90s.



He never stopped using the gun mic.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/06/21 8:56am

OperatingTheta
n

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

id like to think theres better songs in the vault than what came out on NPS


but im not sure im right there.


this def had one of his all time worst covers though.


cant believe he was still using the mic gun prop in the late 90s.



The Beautiful Strange album recorded in 98 sounds very promising. Prince was still carrying a lyric book related to the project in 2002, so it seems it was at least somewhat memorable to him.

I also appreciated the two songs we heard from the Madrid 2 Chicago album, which I believe was also recorded during the same year.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/06/21 8:58am

OperatingTheta
n

More on the 98 Beautiful Strange album: http://www.princevault.co...ul_Strange
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/06/21 9:17am

Poplife88

avatar

I've learned to really like this album.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/06/21 10:21am

Farfunknugin

avatar

Sorry yes I meant re-released. And there are NPG records you can stream namely N.E.W.S.
[Edited 1/6/21 10:22am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/06/21 11:10am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

RobotFix said:

I sighed with relief when I donated my copy to Goodwill. lol


You ain't right lol

I kinda like this album. Just Push It Up/Freaks is a weak middle section. And NPS is a weak start. And I Like Funky Music is a weak end.

lol

But the other songs, I like and love:

Mad Sex
When U Love Somebody
Until Ur In My Arms Again
Shoo-Bed-Ooh
Come On
The One
Wasted Kisses


All good songs to my ears.


If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/06/21 11:40am

luv2tha99s

avatar

Fookin great album!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/07/21 8:07am

TrevorAyer

its a 0(+> album just like twenty10 .. its also better than emancipation

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/07/21 11:14am

Doalwa

This album is the shit if only for Come On, Wasted Kisses and The One!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/07/21 11:22am

funkbabyandthe
babysitters

this album sucked more ass than a pornstar IIRC

better than emancipation?

honestly?! lol

[Edited 1/7/21 11:22am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/07/21 1:29pm

MIInsane

Poplife88 said:

I've learned to really like this album.

Me too. I didn't dig it when it first came out but I gave it a relisten last year and really liked it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/07/21 5:31pm

TheBigBang

avatar

funkbabyandthebabysitters said:

this album sucked more ass than a pornstar IIRC

better than emancipation?

honestly?! lol

[Edited 1/7/21 11:22am]


You're not recalling correctly. This album has some great tracks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/07/21 7:07pm

jfenster

Would've made a great EP
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/07/21 11:27pm

MattyJam

avatar

Everyone bangs on about Come On, but Mad Sex is much funkier to my ears! That bebop jazz line on the piano is everything! And those vocals are nasty!

Awesome song.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 02/20/21 6:52am

jdcxc

MattyJam said:

Everyone bangs on about Come On, but Mad Sex is much funkier to my ears! That bebop jazz line on the piano is everything! And those vocals are nasty! Awesome song.

Yesssss. Truly Underrated Gem! Love the piano chords...a little NOLA funk.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 02/20/21 7:12am

LILpoundCAKE

avatar

jdcxc said:

MattyJam said:

Everyone bangs on about Come On, but Mad Sex is much funkier to my ears! That bebop jazz line on the piano is everything! And those vocals are nasty! Awesome song.

Yesssss. Truly Underrated Gem! Love the piano chords...a little NOLA funk.


the horns on it are also crazy cool.

cool

If U're lookin 4 dirt look in Ur own back yard - Plant some Peace Flowers in Ur warzone so I can fire my bodyguards.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > New Power Soul