independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 1999 Live Official Video (Live at The Summit, Houston, TX, 12/29/1982)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 09/14/19 5:31pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

Jill is SERRRRVING in the 1999 clip, and Prince looks sooo happy and excited! dancing jig
"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 09/14/19 5:59pm

violetcrush

SchlomoThaHomo said:

Jill is SERRRRVING in the 1999 clip, and Prince looks sooo happy and excited! dancing jig


He had a new album quickly climbing the charts on both R&B and Top 40 radio, two other groups he created gaining in popularity, 3 women in regular rotation on the tour (Vanity, Susan, and Jill), and he had just met Susannah in LA. Plus any women he was meeting on the road.
*
I’d say that is a recipe for being in a state of bliss!! biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 09/14/19 6:13pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

violetcrush said:

ChocolateBox3121 said:

rolleyes

U have said NOTHING on here I don't already know. Googling & writing ALL of that was unnecessary.

Also I know the difference between the pronouns who & whom. I choose to write in my own unique way and don't need a grammar lesson from U or anyone else here .

I am NOT Googling anything. Do you think you were the ONLY person around during that time period??!! You are “cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs”!! So, if you already know what I posted then it would seem you are purposely posting BS for the heck of it. * So your “own unique way” of posting is to use grammatically incorrect phrases? Okay, gotcha lol

Image result for pot calling kettle black gif

"eye feel like we're on the brink of something. It's going 2 B strict & wild & pretty" prince
This nomination is not just 4 me; it’s 4 prince & 4 the fans.prince truly did whatever prince needed 2 do 2 make the fans happy.prince gave his life 4 his fans. Ms E
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 09/14/19 6:26pm

violetcrush

ChocolateBox3121 said:



violetcrush said:


ChocolateBox3121 said:


rolleyes



U have said NOTHING on here I don't already know. Googling & writing ALL of that was unnecessary.



Also I know the difference between the pronouns who & whom. I choose to write in my own unique way and don't need a grammar lesson from U or anyone else here .



I am NOT Googling anything. Do you think you were the ONLY person around during that time period??!! You are “cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs”!! So, if you already know what I posted then it would seem you are purposely posting BS for the heck of it. * So your “own unique way” of posting is to use grammatically incorrect phrases? Okay, gotcha lol

Image result for pot calling kettle black gif


lol lol lol
*
Whatever gets you through the Org.... biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 09/14/19 8:35pm

PeggyO

Jill Jones was mesmerizing, wow! She knew how to move;I'd like to see more of her.

Loved her in the Automatic video

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 09/15/19 2:21pm

Holmes

Ridiculously cavernous reverb on the audio.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 09/15/19 7:23pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

PeggyO said:

Jill Jones was mesmerizing, wow! She knew how to move;I'd like to see more of her.

Loved her in the Automatic video

Prince(r.i.p.) could have definitely made Jill a STARRA!

"eye feel like we're on the brink of something. It's going 2 B strict & wild & pretty" prince
This nomination is not just 4 me; it’s 4 prince & 4 the fans.prince truly did whatever prince needed 2 do 2 make the fans happy.prince gave his life 4 his fans. Ms E
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 09/16/19 2:19am

jaawwnn

avatar

violetcrush said:

SchlomoThaHomo said:
Jill is SERRRRVING in the 1999 clip, and Prince looks sooo happy and excited! dancing jig
He had a new album quickly climbing the charts on both R&B and Top 40 radio, two other groups he created gaining in popularity, 3 women in regular rotation on the tour (Vanity, Susan, and Jill), and he had just met Susannah in LA. Plus any women he was meeting on the road. * I’d say that is a recipe for being in a state of bliss!! biggrin

29th of December - the album isn't doing nearly what he wanted it to do (sales being basically the same as those of Controvery in the same time period) , he still hasn't had a hit single, I've definitely read accounts that he was very frustrated at this point in time - he doesn't show it here though.

[Edited 9/16/19 2:21am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 09/16/19 2:24am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

jaawwnn said:

violetcrush said:

SchlomoThaHomo said: He had a new album quickly climbing the charts on both R&B and Top 40 radio, two other groups he created gaining in popularity, 3 women in regular rotation on the tour (Vanity, Susan, and Jill), and he had just met Susannah in LA. Plus any women he was meeting on the road. * I’d say that is a recipe for being in a state of bliss!! biggrin

29th of December - the album isn't doing nearly what he wanted it to do (sales being basically the same as those of Controvery in the same time period) , he still hasn't had a hit single, I've definitely read accounts that he was very frustrated at this point in time - he doesn't show it here though.

[Edited 9/16/19 2:21am]

raw?appid=YMailNorrin&ymreqid=b738d394-286a-ff34-1c1e-e00030013c00&token=zitEzqOML3j84e6ealFTT5U7-km5qEQF52lp7AcCuBYtL-znr-wGygYbl7sDnq7BtkROeMtU8px9nSn3h8Exa8ucXrXUSqzOdtfjFIwRecKldJA8i3vzfiNePJFcLA02

"eye feel like we're on the brink of something. It's going 2 B strict & wild & pretty" prince
This nomination is not just 4 me; it’s 4 prince & 4 the fans.prince truly did whatever prince needed 2 do 2 make the fans happy.prince gave his life 4 his fans. Ms E
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 09/16/19 5:01am

violetcrush

jaawwnn said:



violetcrush said:


SchlomoThaHomo said:
Jill is SERRRRVING in the 1999 clip, and Prince looks sooo happy and excited! dancing jig

He had a new album quickly climbing the charts on both R&B and Top 40 radio, two other groups he created gaining in popularity, 3 women in regular rotation on the tour (Vanity, Susan, and Jill), and he had just met Susannah in LA. Plus any women he was meeting on the road. * I’d say that is a recipe for being in a state of bliss!! biggrin

29th of December - the album isn't doing nearly what he wanted it to do (sales being basically the same as those of Controvery in the same time period) , he still hasn't had a hit single, I've definitely read accounts that he was very frustrated at this point in time - he doesn't show it here though.

[Edited 9/16/19 2:21am]


Yes, but it wouldn't be long before LRC started quickly climbing the charts. A few months maybe. I remember it being played on my Top 40 radio stations. Everyone was talking about it. I was in high school, and kids were talking about what the song meant biggrin Dez stated that as they continued the tour there was a “wave of white” forming in the audiences, and he knew they were crossing over.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 09/16/19 5:36am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

violetcrush said:

jaawwnn said:

29th of December - the album isn't doing nearly what he wanted it to do (sales being basically the same as those of Controvery in the same time period) , he still hasn't had a hit single, I've definitely read accounts that he was very frustrated at this point in time - he doesn't show it here though.

[Edited 9/16/19 2:21am]

Yes, but it wouldn't be long before LRC started quickly climbing the charts. A few months maybe. I remember it being played on my Top 40 radio stations. Everyone was talking about it. I was in high school, and kids were talking about what the song meant biggrin Dez stated that as they continued the tour there was a “wave of white” forming in the audiences, and he knew they were crossing over.

The 1999 album & tour was a slow starter. Although R&B radio picked it up quickly. It wasn't a hit out the gate. Until 'Little Red Corvette' hit on the second leg of the tour. Then Warners re-released the single 1999 that then quickly shot up the pop charts along with a another top ten pop single "Delirious". Prince(r.i.p.) then became a HUGE pop star. Although it didn't hurt that MTV added both videos to heavy rotation. Making Prince(r.i.p.) the FIRST major male black artist added to it's rotation roster.

[Edited 9/16/19 7:54am]

"eye feel like we're on the brink of something. It's going 2 B strict & wild & pretty" prince
This nomination is not just 4 me; it’s 4 prince & 4 the fans.prince truly did whatever prince needed 2 do 2 make the fans happy.prince gave his life 4 his fans. Ms E
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 09/16/19 6:10am

Mikado

Why wasn't LRC released as the first single? It has hit written all over it.

A certain kind of mellow.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 09/16/19 6:14am

jaawwnn

avatar

Mikado said:

Why wasn't LRC released as the first single? It has hit written all over it.

If someone asks me what does 80's music sound like I'd reach for the song 1999. It still boggles my mind that it wasn't a hit straight out of the gate. I can imagine a world where Little Red Corvette doesn't exist but 1999 is as big a part of culture as Blowin' in the Wind or Dancing in the Street - it's just... there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 09/16/19 9:12am

Vannormal

avatar

-

Not that it is important,

but,

Jill Jones sang on a tune by the superb Ryuichi Sakamoto (who did the RAIN video for Madonna as well), called "You Do Me" (1986),

which is a very very very good song ! Check it out (the whole album is great).

Watch the video here,

https://www.youtube.com/w...ygQHlXeipk

-

No she didn't do much after Prince.

Just a frew guest appearances here and there.

-

violetcrush said:

violetcrush said:

ChocolateBox3121 said: "U obviously don't like Jill(whom can write her own book and it will be a page turner)"

Oh, and it should be "WHO" - not "WHOM" in your above statement. WHOM replaces him or her in a sentence. Does "her can write her own book..." sound right to you?? Nope.

"...no matter what, all will be fine, always."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 09/16/19 10:02am

laytonian

Thank you.
It uses poor grammar just to annoy people.
This place needs a "block user" function.

violetcrush said:

ChocolateBox3121 said: "U obviously don't like Jill(whom can write her own book and it will be a page turner)"

Oh, and it should be "WHO" - not "WHOM" in your above statement. WHOM replaces him or her in a sentence. Does "her can write her own book..." sound right to you?? Nope.




Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 09/16/19 10:05am

laytonian

Mikado said:

Why wasn't LRC released as the first single? It has hit written all over it.


Because "1999" as a first single publicized the album (title).

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 09/16/19 10:14am

Giovanni777

avatar

Not a great live version and the video is messy... not sure why the Syracuse PR concert gets so much hate. Better video, and way better version of "1999". Also noticed his voice is a bit rough. That's all.

"He's a musician's musician..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 09/16/19 11:45am

udo

avatar

ChocolateBox3121 said:

violetcrush said:

ChocolateBox3121 said: I am NOT Googling anything. Do you think you were the ONLY person around during that time period??!! You are “cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs”!! So, if you already know what I posted then it would seem you are purposely posting BS for the heck of it. * So your “own unique way” of posting is to use grammatically incorrect phrases? Okay, gotcha lol

Image result for pot calling kettle black gif

.

You weaponized the word 'black' you terrorris!!

That is not 'inclusive'. lol

Pills and thrills and daffodils will kill... If you don't believe me or don't get it, I don't have time to try to convince you, sorry.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 09/16/19 1:06pm

Mikado

laytonian said:



Mikado said:


Why wasn't LRC released as the first single? It has hit written all over it.




Because "1999" as a first single publicized the album (title).



Plenty of albums back then didn't have the title track released as a single. Or it wasn't released until the third single in, like with Purple Rain.
A certain kind of mellow.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 09/16/19 1:23pm

violetcrush

ChocolateBox3121 said:



violetcrush said:


jaawwnn said:


29th of December - the album isn't doing nearly what he wanted it to do (sales being basically the same as those of Controvery in the same time period) , he still hasn't had a hit single, I've definitely read accounts that he was very frustrated at this point in time - he doesn't show it here though.


[Edited 9/16/19 2:21am]



Yes, but it wouldn't be long before LRC started quickly climbing the charts. A few months maybe. I remember it being played on my Top 40 radio stations. Everyone was talking about it. I was in high school, and kids were talking about what the song meant biggrin Dez stated that as they continued the tour there was a “wave of white” forming in the audiences, and he knew they were crossing over.

The 1999 album & tour was a slow starter. Although R&B radio picked it up quickly. It wasn't a hit out the gate. Until 'Little Red Corvette' hit on the second leg of the tour. Then Warners re-released the single 1999 that then quickly shot up the pop charts along with a another top ten pop single "Delirious". Prince(r.i.p.) then became a HUGE pop star. Although it didn't hurt that MTV added both videos to heavy rotation. Making Prince(r.i.p.) the FIRST major male black artist added to it's rotation roster.


[Edited 9/16/19 7:54am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 09/16/19 1:25pm

SoulAlive

Mikado said:

Why wasn't LRC released as the first single? It has hit written all over it.

I think the title track was the perfect choice for the first single.It's a sensational track and,being the title track, it truly promotes the album as a whole.

..

[Edited 9/16/19 13:31pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 09/16/19 1:28pm

violetcrush

ChocolateBox3121 said:



violetcrush said:


jaawwnn said:


29th of December - the album isn't doing nearly what he wanted it to do (sales being basically the same as those of Controvery in the same time period) , he still hasn't had a hit single, I've definitely read accounts that he was very frustrated at this point in time - he doesn't show it here though.


[Edited 9/16/19 2:21am]



Yes, but it wouldn't be long before LRC started quickly climbing the charts. A few months maybe. I remember it being played on my Top 40 radio stations. Everyone was talking about it. I was in high school, and kids were talking about what the song meant biggrin Dez stated that as they continued the tour there was a “wave of white” forming in the audiences, and he knew they were crossing over.

The 1999 album & tour was a slow starter. Although R&B radio picked it up quickly. It wasn't a hit out the gate. Until 'Little Red Corvette' hit on the second leg of the tour. Then Warners re-released the single 1999 that then quickly shot up the pop charts along with a another top ten pop single "Delirious". Prince(r.i.p.) then became a HUGE pop star. Although it didn't hurt that MTV added both videos to heavy rotation. Making Prince(r.i.p.) the FIRST major male black artist added to it's rotation roster.


[Edited 9/16/19 7:54am]


Actually, I believe it was Michael Jackson who made it to MTV first. Then Prince followed with LRC and 1999. I believe it was early Spring when they began playing his videos. The Rolling Stone cover, which was published in March or April, helped as well. The tour ended April 10th, so they would have been seeing the crossover before that point.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 09/16/19 1:54pm

eyewishuheaven

avatar

jaawwnn said:

Mikado said:

Why wasn't LRC released as the first single? It has hit written all over it.

If someone asks me what does 80's music sound like I'd reach for the song 1999. It still boggles my mind that it wasn't a hit straight out of the gate. I can imagine a world where Little Red Corvette doesn't exist but 1999 is as big a part of culture as Blowin' in the Wind or Dancing in the Street - it's just... there.


I only turned eleven in '82, but it's hard not to imagine people RUNNING to the dance floor upon hearing that intro!

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 09/16/19 2:02pm

violetcrush

eyewishuheaven said:



jaawwnn said:




Mikado said:


Why wasn't LRC released as the first single? It has hit written all over it.



If someone asks me what does 80's music sound like I'd reach for the song 1999. It still boggles my mind that it wasn't a hit straight out of the gate. I can imagine a world where Little Red Corvette doesn't exist but 1999 is as big a part of culture as Blowin' in the Wind or Dancing in the Street - it's just... there.




I only turned eleven in '82, but it's hard not to imagine people RUNNING to the dance floor upon hearing that intro!


I was 15/16 when his LRC and 1999 videos came out on MTV, and I was mesmerized watching them and him. I would also play the songs full blast on my car stereo once I got my license in ‘84. biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 09/16/19 2:19pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

violetcrush said:

ChocolateBox3121 said:

The 1999 album & tour was a slow starter. Although R&B radio picked it up quickly. It wasn't a hit out the gate. Until 'Little Red Corvette' hit on the second leg of the tour. Then Warners re-released the single 1999 that then quickly shot up the pop charts along with a another top ten pop single "Delirious". Prince(r.i.p.) then became a HUGE pop star. Although it didn't hurt that MTV added both videos to heavy rotation. Making Prince(r.i.p.) the FIRST major male black artist added to it's rotation roster.

[Edited 9/16/19 7:54am]

Actually, I believe it was Michael Jackson who made it to MTV first. ThumbnailThen Prince followed with LRC and 1999. I believe it was early Spring when they began playing his videos. The Rolling Stone cover, which was published in March or April, helped as well. The tour ended April 10th, so they would have been seeing the crossover before that point.

Prince's(r.i.p.) 1999 video premiered on MTV in December 1982.

MJ's FIRST music video off Thriller, Billie Jean premiered on MTV march 1983.


"eye feel like we're on the brink of something. It's going 2 B strict & wild & pretty" prince
This nomination is not just 4 me; it’s 4 prince & 4 the fans.prince truly did whatever prince needed 2 do 2 make the fans happy.prince gave his life 4 his fans. Ms E
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 09/16/19 3:22pm

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

Yea Prince was first on MTV, though the MJ machine and fandom like to pretend otherwise.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 09/16/19 3:49pm

leadline

avatar

Looks like the same "Mr. PHD in reverb" (guy who did Originals) is the guy who worked the audio on this concert, because it is literally drowning in reverb. Why this dude feels it necessary to muddy up Prince's vocals with this is beyond me, it is not a small amount, it is a large amount. Let's hope most of the unreleased stuff on 1999 Super Deluxe was not mastered by this guy.

[Edited 9/18/19 8:25am]

"You always get the dream that you deserve, from what you value the most" -Prince 2013
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 09/16/19 7:54pm

violetcrush

ChocolateBox3121 said:



violetcrush said:


ChocolateBox3121 said:


The 1999 album & tour was a slow starter. Although R&B radio picked it up quickly. It wasn't a hit out the gate. Until 'Little Red Corvette' hit on the second leg of the tour. Then Warners re-released the single 1999 that then quickly shot up the pop charts along with a another top ten pop single "Delirious". Prince(r.i.p.) then became a HUGE pop star. Although it didn't hurt that MTV added both videos to heavy rotation. Making Prince(r.i.p.) the FIRST major male black artist added to it's rotation roster.



[Edited 9/16/19 7:54am]



Actually, I believe it was Michael Jackson who made it to MTV first. ThumbnailThen Prince followed with LRC and 1999. I believe it was early Spring when they began playing his videos. The Rolling Stone cover, which was published in March or April, helped as well. The tour ended April 10th, so they would have been seeing the crossover before that point.




Prince's(r.i.p.) 1999 video premiered on MTV in December 1982.




MJ's FIRST music video off Thriller, Billie Jean premiered on MTV march 1983.






GROW UP!!! mad Regardless, MJ was the first to hit constant rotation with the Billy Jean video, which is why he is thought to have had the first video aired. Then he exploded with Thriller December of ‘83.
*
Prince did not move into constant rotation on MTV until they started playing both LRC and 1999 regularly in Spring of ‘83.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 09/16/19 7:58pm

violetcrush

SchlomoThaHomo said:

Yea Prince was first on MTV, though the MJ machine and fandom like to pretend otherwise.


I’m not an MJ fan, but he definitely hit the constant rotation on MTV before Prince did. 1983 was his year with Billy Jean and Thriller.
*
Then Prince came behind with LRC and 1999 in constant rotation. His time to explode on MTV (and everywhere else) was just around the corner smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 09/16/19 9:20pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

violetcrush said:

ChocolateBox3121 said:

Prince's(r.i.p.) 1999 video premiered on MTV in December 1982.

MJ's FIRST music video off Thriller, Billie Jean premiered on MTV march 1983.


GROW UP!!! mad Regardless, MJ was the first to hit constant rotation with the Billy Jean video, which is why he is thought to have had the first video aired. Then he exploded with Thriller December of ‘83. * Prince did not move into constant rotation on MTV until they started playing both LRC and 1999 regularly in Spring of ‘83.

Doesn't matter! Prince(r.i.p.) was THE FIRST MALE BLACK ARTIST on MTV! Which is really groundbreaking in itself & he should be recognized for it.

Own up to U being wrong about that & the 1999 album.

"He had a new album quickly climbing the charts on both R&B and Top 40 radio," rolleyes

To your credit it did eventually quickly climb up the charts early that next year. But not right away. The 1999 album didn't look to good for Prince(r.i.p.) at first. But I was there along the way right up until his pop stardom & beyond.

"eye feel like we're on the brink of something. It's going 2 B strict & wild & pretty" prince
This nomination is not just 4 me; it’s 4 prince & 4 the fans.prince truly did whatever prince needed 2 do 2 make the fans happy.prince gave his life 4 his fans. Ms E
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 1999 Live Official Video (Live at The Summit, Houston, TX, 12/29/1982)