independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 25th Jun 2019 8:32am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's "gospel" songs - did they find their way into churches?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/11/19 1:59am

Krid

Prince's "gospel" songs - did they find their way into churches?

Some of Prince's songs have a real spiritual core and also from the music structure remind me of gospel songs - and I believe they would not be out of place in a church setting, with an organ and gospel choir.

Some of the songs which come to my mind are (and there are many more:

Love... thy will be done

Anna Stasia

The Cross

Holy River

Forever in My Life

Now - have some of his songs actually been performed in church? Not only a "Purple Rain" gospel tribute when he died, but in a regular church service?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/11/19 5:00am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

My church band actually played 'Baby I'm A Star' one Sunday.

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/11/19 5:28am

droppingdishes

For the most part, in the black church culture I'm familiar with they would consider this "secular music" which is a BIG no-no.

[Edited 6/11/19 5:28am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/11/19 7:31am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Krid said:

Some of Prince's songs have a real spiritual core and also from the music structure remind me of gospel songs - and I believe they would not be out of place in a church setting, with an organ and gospel choir.

Some of the songs which come to my mind are (and there are many more:

Love... thy will be done

Anna Stasia

The Cross

Holy River

Forever in My Life

Now - have some of his songs actually been performed in church? Not only a "Purple Rain" gospel tribute when he died, but in a regular church service?

All of those songs would be out of place in most church services, except maybe the Cross.

.

the closest I could see is God(the Dance Electric) or 4 the Tears In Your Eyes

.

.

But there was a straight out church choir gospel song that clearly was influenced by Purple Rain, I forget the name at this moment.

Love... Thy Will Be Done, is probabl.y not known enough(even though that might make it easier to pass off as a church song)
.
Anna Stesia is a 'rock' song, I mean that is too personal and not even close to be intergrated into a service

Holy River is 'Princereligiosity' it doesn't translate 'Gospel'

Forever In My Life is a 'proposal' song about romantic love

.

Maybe people have done it, but 'celeb tributes' in a church service would be out of place -the service/worship is directed toward God.

.

* now I will say I remember going to a 'community gospel concert' with a friend and Janet JUST came out, the musical director and his group, did 'Anytime, Anyplace' as an instrumental with some changed lyrics. LOL I could not believe it. He probably thought no one would have heard the song.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/11/19 8:06am

djdaffy1227

avatar

Christian artist Kevin Max, formerly of DC Talk, recorded a solo version of "The cross". I don't think any church sang it but it is known to some of the Christian community.

Making love and music are the only things worth fighting for.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/11/19 9:00am

roxy831

avatar

All of those songs would be out of place in most church services, except maybe the Cross.

.

the closest I could see is God(the Dance Electric) or 4 the Tears In Your Eyes

.

.

But there was a straight out church choir gospel song that clearly was influenced by Purple Rain, I forget the name at this moment.

Love... Thy Will Be Done, is probabl.y not known enough(even though that might make it easier to pass off as a church song)
.
Anna Stesia is a 'rock' song, I mean that is too personal and not even close to be intergrated into a service

Holy River is 'Princereligiosity' it doesn't translate 'Gospel'

Forever In My Life is a 'proposal' song about romantic love

.

Maybe people have done it, but 'celeb tributes' in a church service would be out of place -the service/worship is directed toward God.

.

* now I will say I remember going to a 'community gospel concert' with a friend and Janet JUST came out, the musical director and his group, did 'Anytime, Anyplace' as an instrumental with some changed lyrics. LOL I could not believe it. He probably thought no one would have heard the song.

"Let It Rain" - Bishop Paul S. Morton...

Welcome home class. We've come a long way. - RIP Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/11/19 10:07am

bsprout

OldFriends4Sale said:




.


the closest I could see is God(the Dance Electric) or 4 the Tears In Your Eyes


.


.


But there was a straight out church choir gospel song that clearly was influenced by Purple Rain, I forget the name at this moment.



Love... Thy Will Be Done, is probabl.y not known enough(even though that might make it easier to pass off as a church song)
.
Anna Stesia is a 'rock' song, I mean that is too personal and not even close to be intergrated into a service


Holy River is 'Princereligiosity' it doesn't translate 'Gospel'


Forever In My Life is a 'proposal' song about romantic love


.


Maybe people have done it, but 'celeb tributes' in a church service would be out of place -the service/worship is directed toward God.


.


* now I will say I remember going to a 'community gospel concert' with a friend and Janet JUST came out, the musical director and his group, did 'Anytime, Anyplace' as an instrumental with some changed lyrics. LOL I could not believe it. He probably thought no one would have heard the song.





😳lol. ‘The Ladder’ always struck me as a gospel/church song.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/11/19 3:24pm

cindyt

nothing compares to U....(kanye sunday service LOL)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/12/19 5:35am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

roxy831 said:

All of those songs would be out of place in most church services, except maybe the Cross.

.

the closest I could see is God(the Dance Electric) or 4 the Tears In Your Eyes

.

.

But there was a straight out church choir gospel song that clearly was influenced by Purple Rain, I forget the name at this moment.

Love... Thy Will Be Done, is probabl.y not known enough(even though that might make it easier to pass off as a church song)
.
Anna Stesia is a 'rock' song, I mean that is too personal and not even close to be intergrated into a service

Holy River is 'Princereligiosity' it doesn't translate 'Gospel'

Forever In My Life is a 'proposal' song about romantic love

.

Maybe people have done it, but 'celeb tributes' in a church service would be out of place -the service/worship is directed toward God.

.

* now I will say I remember going to a 'community gospel concert' with a friend and Janet JUST came out, the musical director and his group, did 'Anytime, Anyplace' as an instrumental with some changed lyrics. LOL I could not believe it. He probably thought no one would have heard the song.

"Let It Rain" - Bishop Paul S. Morton...

Yes, thank U

...Phil Colins come to mind too(non gospel of course)

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/12/19 5:37am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

bsprout said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

😳lol. ‘The Ladder’ always struck me as a gospel/church song.

Yes, the Ladder

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/12/19 7:56am

roxy831

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

roxy831 said:

"Let It Rain" - Bishop Paul S. Morton...

Yes, thank U

...Phil Colins come to mind too(non gospel of course)

You're welcome biggrin . I tell ya, when I first heard Let It Rain, the first thing that came to mind was "Did Paul get permission?" confused

Welcome home class. We've come a long way. - RIP Prince
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/12/19 8:00am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

roxy831 said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Yes, thank U

...Phil Colins come to mind too(non gospel of course)

You're welcome biggrin . I tell ya, when I first heard Let It Rain, the first thing that came to mind was "Did Paul get permission?" confused


LOL

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/13/19 9:09am

lurker316

avatar


What about Still Would Stand All Time?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/13/19 10:08am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

lurker316 said:


What about Still Would Stand All Time?

Thanks 4 bringing this 1 up, I haven't heard this in a long while

It's just around the corner, it's just around the block
This love that I've been waiting for, a Love solid as rock
A Love that reaffirms that we are not alone
A Love so bright inside you it glows
And night and day would run together, and all things would be fine
Still would stand all hate around us
Still would stand all time
Still would stand all time

It's not a thousand years away, it's not that far my brother
When men will fight injustice instead of one another
Its not that far if we all say yes and only try
Then Heaven on Earth we will find

No one man will be ruler, therefore love must rule us all
Dishonesty, anger, fear, jealousy and greed will fall
Love can save us all

Oh, love, love, oh love if you would just please give us a sign
Still would...

Oh, love, love, oh love if you would just please give us a sign
Still would stand all time
Heaven, heaven on earth we all want to find (we all want 2 find it)
Still (still) would stand all time

We are not alone people (we're not alone)
Tell me can you see the light (can ya see the light)
If you just open your eyes (still would stand all time)
So much you will know, so much you will show
Love, love, its not that far away if we all say yes and give it a try
(Got ta give it, a try, yes!) still would stand all time (I say still)
(so many times) so may times, I thought I could not make it
(still would stand all time)
Life was closing in I just knew, I just knew I couldn't take it
That's when love opened it's arms, and if you don't go in child
Still would stand all time (still would stand all time)
You better run to the light, leave your past behind
All things will be fine
Still would stand all time

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/15/19 5:33pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

droppingdishes said:

For the most part, in the black church culture I'm familiar with they would consider this "secular music" which is a BIG no-no.

That depends on if they're a more traditional church or not. Like they'll consider what happened to Sam Cooke was because he left gospel to sing secular music. Sam's father is a reverend and had no problem with Sam going secular, same with Aretha Franklin's father. Some traditional church members tended to criticize gospel artists who make secular sounding music like Mighty Clouds Of Joy, Rance Allen Group, Clark Sisters, Mary Mary, Kirk Franklin, etc. Which is kinda ironic since the Father Of Gospel (Thomas Dorsey) wrote blues & jazz songs too. Rhythm and blues/rock n roll/soul are offsprings of gospel. Gospel choirs have sung on secular acts records as well. Some secular singers are preachers like Little Richard, Al Green, & Johnnie Taylor. Today there are gospel rappers.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/16/19 12:53pm

MickyDolenz

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

All of those songs would be out of place in most church services, except maybe the Cross.

Gospel acts sometimes remake well known secular hits but change the lyrics or interpolate part of a song into their song. The same choir who sang on I Want To Know What Love is by Foreigner recorded their own version. The Clark Sisters does the scat from Parliament's Flashlight on Pure Gold. But since none of the songs in the OP were hits other than the Martika song, those songs are not as likey to be chosen anyway.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/17/19 9:37am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

MickyDolenz said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

All of those songs would be out of place in most church services, except maybe the Cross.

Gospel acts sometimes remake well known secular hits but change the lyrics or interpolate part of a song into their song. The same choir who sang on I Want To Know What Love is by Foreigner recorded their own version. The Clark Sisters does the scat from Parliament's Flashlight on Pure Gold. But since none of the songs in the OP were hits other than the Martika song, those songs are not as likey to be chosen anyway.

Yes I agree

But I think some of these are too detailed lyrically, you would have to change a lot

Foverever in My Life, I don't see how, because it is straightforwardly a song about loving some with matrimonial substance. Singing it/playing it at a wedding for sure


Anne Stasia is very complex lyrically and very detailed. I can see adding the God Is Love chorus to something though. Holy River too, but I can see someone taking a few verses and making something out of it.

Prince-religiosity is so uniquely his 'dogma'

Love... thy will be done

Anna Stasia

The Cross

Holy River

Forever in My Life

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/17/19 11:46am

MickyDolenz

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Yes I agree

But I think some of these are too detailed lyrically, you would have to change a lot

That's what Weird Al does. He generally does not use whatever the original song was about. Al is not Living In America, but Living With A Hernia. razz Rance Allen Group hos a gospel version of Just My Imagination by The Temptations, but their version is not about a woman like the original. The gospel version of a secular song usually has totally different lyrics, but use the same music & vocal arrangement. Some gospel versions are a straight remake if the song lyrics fit like Michael Jackson's Man In The Mirror & My Sweet Lord by George Harrison. I've heard My Sweet Lord by a gospel group, but they just left off the Hare Krishna part.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/18/19 4:38pm

kingricefan

What about 'A Man Called Jesus', the song he gave to Mavis Staples?

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/19/19 8:17pm

tmo1965

A lot of Prince's songs have a spiritual meaning to them, but like others have said, they're too much rock to be accepted in most churches. Also, I think that because of Prince's past raunchiness, church people would not allow his music in the church. For some, the raunchiness is all they heard in his music.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/22/19 11:19am

MickyDolenz

avatar

tmo1965 said:

A lot of Prince's songs have a spiritual meaning to them, but like others have said, they're too much rock to be accepted in most churches.

I think whether rock is accepted or not has to do with the generation. I mean like somebody was buying the records of Stryper, DC Talk, BarlowGirl, Michael W. Smith, etc. If you listen to the music on Joel Osteen's show, there's some rock based Christian music on that and Lakewood is a mega church watched by millions of people although the music is not generally shown on the main TV broadcast. Jimmy Swaggart has spoken out against contemporary Christian rock. His cousins are Jerry Lee Lewis, one of the original rock n' rollers, and country singer Mickey Gilley. Mickey had a well known country club/bar called Gilley's that burned down years ago. It was used in the John Travolta movie Urban Cowboy. Swaggart himself has songs with guitar solos that sound like rock (or at least country rock) to me, so for him to speak negatively about it is ironic.

For 65 years straight, the #1 genre in music, selling wise, was rock n' roll worldwide. Last year (2017) in June, it got de-crowned by hip hop. Hip hop is the #1 genre. It's hip hop - rock - country - pop or pop - country. ~ Pras
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/23/19 5:06pm

206Michelle

OldFriends4Sale said:



lurker316 said:



What about Still Would Stand All Time?





Thanks 4 bringing this 1 up, I haven't heard this in a long while




It's just around the corner, it's just around the block
This love that I've been waiting for, a Love solid as rock
A Love that reaffirms that we are not alone
A Love so bright inside you it glows
And night and day would run together, and all things would be fine
Still would stand all hate around us
Still would stand all time
Still would stand all time


It's not a thousand years away, it's not that far my brother
When men will fight injustice instead of one another
Its not that far if we all say yes and only try
Then Heaven on Earth we will find


No one man will be ruler, therefore love must rule us all
Dishonesty, anger, fear, jealousy and greed will fall
Love can save us all


Oh, love, love, oh love if you would just please give us a sign
Still would...


Oh, love, love, oh love if you would just please give us a sign
Still would stand all time
Heaven, heaven on earth we all want to find (we all want 2 find it)
Still (still) would stand all time


We are not alone people (we're not alone)
Tell me can you see the light (can ya see the light)
If you just open your eyes (still would stand all time)
So much you will know, so much you will show
Love, love, its not that far away if we all say yes and give it a try
(Got ta give it, a try, yes!) still would stand all time (I say still)
(so many times) so may times, I thought I could not make it
(still would stand all time)
Life was closing in I just knew, I just knew I couldn't take it
That's when love opened it's arms, and if you don't go in child
Still would stand all time (still would stand all time)
You better run to the light, leave your past behind
All things will be fine
Still would stand all time


SWSAT is very much a Gospel-style song. I think it could be sung in a church setting, but it’s only widely known among Prince fans.
Live 4 Love ~ Love is God, God is love, Girls and boys love God above
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/23/19 7:44pm

Seahorsie

avatar

I live in the Midwest (the Bible Belt) and have never heard a Prince song played in church, not even just the tune without lyrics, OR in the nontraditional service either. I do believe that some of his music would be just fine, but I am such a fan, and most people of faith will not admit they like his music. (I obviously am not one of them.....) Probably due to his erotic lyrics in some songs.

The song I always think I would love to hear a full gospel choir do is "I Would Die 4 U". Talk about some deep meaning to that one. Amazes me most of the time I read over the lyrics to his songs.

Just wow.

Good morning children...take a look out your window, the world is falling...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's "gospel" songs - did they find their way into churches?