independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 19th Jun 2019 12:39am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What do fans think of the 3121 album?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/05/19 6:53am

SoftSkarlettLo
visa

What do fans think of the 3121 album?

I actually liked the 3121 album. Liked it so much I gifted a copy of the album to a friend for her 18th birthday.

Someone commented that it's a boring album, but I enjoyed the songs "Lolita" - the fitting soundtrack to a summer vacation in Sydney, Australia, in early 2007. smile
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/05/19 6:59am

thedoorkeeper

Some fans like it.
Some fans don't like it.
Personally I like it - mostly.
But not too wild about Lolita.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/05/19 7:00am

jdcxc

Very Good late-era Prince album that holds up well. “3121” the song is a complete Jam.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/05/19 7:33am

EmmaMcG

avatar

I can't speak for anyone else but I love that album. It was, after all, my very first Prince album and the very reason I became a fan in the first place.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/05/19 8:07am

RJOrion

i can only think of 3 Prince albums that i enjoy or play, less:

Chaos And Disorder
Planet Earth
The Gold Experience

theres not 1 song on 3121 that i would miss if i never heard it again... and at least Planet Earth had Chelsea Rodgers
TGE had Shy and Shhh
Chaos & Disorder had Dinner With Delores..

there are no personal favorites on 3121 for me...
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/05/19 8:13am

Bishop31

avatar

I personally loved it then, and appreciate it more now. The Dance, The Word, Fury all are killer songs. That 2003-2006 is the last era of Prince that I really loved.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/05/19 8:19am

soladeo1

3121, the song, is an ABSOLUTE MONSTER JAM.

And Fury is a killer track too, albeit live it was even better.

Black Sweat really holds up as well.

In all, it's a decent album with a few fantastic tracks. Definately in Prince's Top Half of albums, I'd say.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/05/19 8:46am

Se7en

avatar

I love it. Black Sweat, 3121, Fury, etc. are some of my favorite 00's songs from him, and actually rate up there in his whole catalog.

Lolita doesn't bother me too much, but I can't say I'd ever seek it out to play on its own. The one song that bothers me probably the most is Incense & Candles, specifically the Auto-Tune intro. Again, I don't seek this song out but I'll let it play out if it comes on.

The song that surprised me the most was Beautiful, Loved And Blessed. I love how mature Prince sounds on it.

3121, LotusFlow3r and The Rainbow Children, are (to me) his best albums of the 00's.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/05/19 8:55am

funkyfine

avatar

RJOrion said:

i can only think of 3 Prince albums that i enjoy or play, less: Chaos And Disorder Planet Earth The Gold Experience theres not 1 song on 3121 that i would miss if i never heard it again... and at least Planet Earth had Chelsea Rodgers TGE had Shy and Shhh Chaos & Disorder had Dinner With Delores.. there are no personal favorites on 3121 for me...

Definitely rank it alongside Planet Earth, 20Ten etc for dullness. Just sounds so flat and uninspired. And yes, like all his albums, there are a few nice production touches and a couple of nice melodies but overall, truly average.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/05/19 9:08am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

I like the album

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/05/19 9:44am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

I enjoyed it from the get go. "3121" is a great stand-alone track. The fact that Sonny & Michael played on it make it only better. You can hear it's just a jam underneath (much like he took IGBABN and made it into a song). "Lolita" feels demo-y to me.

3121 - one of the funkier things he'd done in recent years

Lolita - demo-feeling kitschy

Te Amo Corazon - a nice little ballad; beautiful video

Black Sweat - in a minority here but it's my least favorite song. It's screechy and annoying

Incense and Candles - It's okay, nothing special, feels like a cousin to "The Sun, the Moon & Stars", the vocoder effects are a bit blood-curling

Love - a favorite; musically it's a bit thin but perhaps on purpose to show off the lyrics which are great, I really feel that song

Satisfied - one of his better sexy ballads in recent years

Fury - a great song, needed a live "band" take on it (why didn't he record this with Sonny & Michael???)

The Word - a mid-tempo semi-etheral dogma-laced chant; almost comes across as a meditation, not horrible

Beautiful Loved & Blessed - a pretty song, not sure why some fans scoffed at it so much (I remember negativity around a song literally about self-positivity)

The Dance - a much better version than the 2004 NPGMC version

Get On The Boat - musically fun, but lyrically a commercial for his local Kingdom Hall.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/05/19 10:08am

Empress

I like it. It's not my top 5, but I do enjoy most songs on the album.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/05/19 10:36am

MattyJam

avatar

Weak album. Probably my least favorite, alongside For You.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/05/19 10:37am

Romeoblu

Great album. The recent vinyl reissue made me appreciate it even more, it sounds amazing.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/05/19 11:47am

Empress

The Dance is pure Prince. Great song!

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/05/19 11:52am

dodger

I love the title track. As I do most things he recorded with Sonny and Michael. It stands out a mile to the rest, it's got a groove and balls. His 2000's Days Of Wild.
.
Te Amo Corazon is a nice mature ballad and it sounded great live at The Brits.
.
Fury obviously sounded much better live on SNL and I can't help but imagine it in the studio with Michael and Sonny
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/05/19 12:54pm

Nikeze

Initially thought it had a few good tracks, especially 3121, but mostly wasn't too in to it and rarely listened to it.

Then about a year ago, popped the CD in the car and really fell for it. I think it's a really strong late album. For me, only 2 tracks I don't care for, 6 good songs and 4 stand out.

Certainly not top 10, but probably floating around 15 - 20th.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/05/19 1:35pm

CoolMF

TrivialPursuit said:

I enjoyed it from the get go. "3121" is a great stand-alone track. The fact that Sonny & Michael played on it make it only better. You can hear it's just a jam underneath (much like he took IGBABN and made it into a song). "Lolita" feels demo-y to me.

3121 - one of the funkier things he'd done in recent years

Lolita - demo-feeling kitschy

Te Amo Corazon - a nice little ballad; beautiful video

Black Sweat - in a minority here but it's my least favorite song. It's screechy and annoying

Incense and Candles - It's okay, nothing special, feels like a cousin to "The Sun, the Moon & Stars", the vocoder effects are a bit blood-curling

Love - a favorite; musically it's a bit thin but perhaps on purpose to show off the lyrics which are great, I really feel that song

Satisfied - one of his better sexy ballads in recent years

Fury - a great song, needed a live "band" take on it (why didn't he record this with Sonny & Michael???)

The Word - a mid-tempo semi-etheral dogma-laced chant; almost comes across as a meditation, not horrible

Beautiful Loved & Blessed - a pretty song, not sure why some fans scoffed at it so much (I remember negativity around a song literally about self-positivity)

The Dance - a much better version than the 2004 NPGMC version

Get On The Boat - musically fun, but lyrically a commercial for his local Kingdom Hall.

Last Prince album that had any enjoyable songs for me. Liked 3121, Beuatiful Loved, and Get On The Boat.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/05/19 1:43pm

TheEnglishGent

avatar

I really like it. Don't care much for Incense and Candles but there's a lot of great stuff on there for me.

RIP sad
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/05/19 1:52pm

Transformed1

To me "The Word" was an immediate standout track. Absolutely love it. Unfortunately I played it to death, and have to hear it sparingly now. Always loved "Beautiful, Loved & Blessed". I kind of like "Fury" but the SNL version was sooo much better, that I can't help but wish I was listening to that version rather than the album version. "Love" is decent.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/05/19 2:02pm

RobotFix

avatar

3121 is deeply dissatisfying, despite fine tracks like "Fury" and "Black Sweat."

I haven't played the entire album in years.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/05/19 3:09pm

bsprout

Always loved it.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/06/19 3:58am

MIRvmn

avatar

I think 3121 is a pretty weak album and Fury is horrible compared to the SNL version. The Word is the best song on 3121.
We are living in Orwell's 1984
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/06/19 4:42am

NouveauDance

avatar

Between Musicology and 3121 you can just about scrape a half decent late-era pop album together, but there's nothing on there that truly shines. It's a tighter Rave, a less lazy NPS. A safe follow-up to a safe comeback album.

The title track is fun but goes nowhere (this is what the old 12" mixes were for), Black Sweat was a (kind of) hit and deservedly so, although I don't personally like it. Nothing else of note really, lots of treading water and ticking of boxes (guitar pop, check, seduction ballad check, funk workout check...)

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/06/19 6:21am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

The WHOLE 3121 concept was incredible! The album, show performances,Vegas run,movie, exclusive ULTRA private hotel & house parties etc. It was FUN TIMES for me!

The 3121 album also debuted at number#1 selling over a half a million copies.It became the first Prince(r.i.p) album ever to debut at number 1, with 183,436 sold in its first week. It was also Prince's(r.i.p) first number #1 album since the multi platinum 1989's MEGA hit Batman soundtrack.

[Edited 6/6/19 8:34am]

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/06/19 7:45am

lurker316

avatar


It is one of my top five favorite albums.

3121 -- amazing song. It's funky, it's original, it's got a great hook, it's weird... It's everything you'd want in a Prince song. One of my favorite songs of all time.

Lolita -- a gimmick song. I don't mind it, but I often skip it.

Te Amo Corazon -- a nice song, and I respect that Prince once again explored a completely new genre of music.

Black Sweat -- the only song on the album I strongly dislike. I find the synth to be annoying like fingers on a chalkboard.

Love -- It may be a throw-away pop song, but it's incredibly catchy. It's better than most any other throw-away pop songs you'll hear on the radio.

Fury -- pretty good, but I'm not as in love with it as many fans. To me it sounds like derivative rock.

The Word -- Like Love it's a throw-away pop song. It's not as good as Love, but it's got a great hook. Very easy to listen to.

Beautiful Loved & Blessed -- I should hate this song. I'm cynical and can't stand self-affirmation. But the melody is infectious. In fact, it's my second favorite song on the album after 3121.

Get on the Boat -- it's okay. I said Fury was a derivative rock song. Similarly, I think this is a derivative funk song.

I'm ambivalent about Incense and Candles, Satisfied and The Dance.


.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/06/19 8:07am

dustoff

avatar

Surprised at the dislike/indifference to "Lolita" here. It's one of my favorites from that period.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/06/19 8:07am

PliablyPurple

The title track is up there with other classic P joints. I like about half of the album. Plus, had been waiting twenty years for P to ask me to skate. /finally

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/06/19 8:38am

EmmaMcG

avatar

ChocolateBox3121 said:

The WHOLE 3121 concept was incredible! The album, show performances,Vegas run,movie, exclusive hotel & house parties etc. It was FUN TIMES!

[Edited 6/6/19 7:47am]



Incredible is probably pushing it, in my estimation, but I do agree with you. That time period is etched in my head because as I said previously, it was around 2006 that I started listening to Prince and 3121 was my first album so I perhaps remember it more vividly than most. And it seemed that every time I seen a story about Prince in the media, the term "3121" was used. By pushing the whole "3121 concept", he created a bit of a buzz. Even other kids in my class, who had never really heard of Prince and would have trouble naming more than 2 songs, knew that 3121 was associated with Prince. Plus, Black Sweat was flavour of the month amongst my classmates for a while too. It just goes to show that even when a lot of his fans had kind of written him off as a legacy act, he was still capable of appealing to a younger demographic and with the right promotion, he could have had many more commercial hits afterwards.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/06/19 8:57am

MattyJam

avatar

lurker316 said:


It is one of my top five favorite albums.

3121 -- amazing song. It's funky, it's original, it's got a great hook, it's weird... It's everything you'd want in a Prince song. One of my favorite songs of all time.

Lolita -- a gimmick song. I don't mind it, but I often skip it.

Te Amo Corazon -- a nice song, and I respect that Prince once again explored a completely new genre of music.

Black Sweat -- the only song on the album I strongly dislike. I find the synth to be annoying like fingers on a chalkboard.

Love -- It may be a throw-away pop song, but it's incredibly catchy. It's better than most any other throw-away pop songs you'll hear on the radio.

Fury -- pretty good, but I'm not as in love with it as many fans. To me it sounds like derivative rock.

The Word -- Like Love it's a throw-away pop song. It's not as good as Love, but it's got a great hook. Very easy to listen to.

Beautiful Loved & Blessed -- I should hate this song. I'm cynical and can't stand self-affirmation. But the melody is infectious. In fact, it's my second favorite song on the album after 3121.

Get on the Boat -- it's okay. I said Fury was a derivative rock song. Similarly, I think this is a derivative funk song.

I'm ambivalent about Incense and Candles, Satisfied and The Dance.



.



Kind of strange that you put it in your top 5 albums, and then preceed to give a rather lukewarm track by track review.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What do fans think of the 3121 album?