independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 15th Jun 2019 5:32pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Graffiti Bridge - Prince songs only = a killer spiritual album!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 05/16/19 4:10pm

RicoN

avatar

Genesia said:

falloff @ the idea of Tick Tick Bang being "spiritual." Is there a Sacrament of Splooge that I don't know about?

[Edited 5/16/19 11:19am]



The second cumming
Yes, I've probably made a spelling mistake, but I can't be arsed to go back and correc tit.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 05/17/19 2:05am

SoulAlive

CAL3 said:

Milty2 said:

Ugh this would have been Prince's greatest album if it only contained his tracks. This album has the greatest concentration of Prince tracks that I love the most.

.

They're all his tracks. Just because he had other people sing some of them don't make them someone else's tracks.

.

Does anyone NOT consider "Melody Cool" or "Round and Round" Prince tracks? Some collaborative element on some of the tracks, heaven forbid...

.

For such a notorious control freak, it's actually pretty cool hearing him delegate and share the spotlight a bit.

I agree.Can't understand why so many fans dislike the songs sung by the other artists confuse "Shake" and "Round and Round",in particular,are superb songs.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 05/17/19 3:34am

RicoN

avatar

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

Yes, yes I am sure this has been debated to death on here - but so what! I really wish the album was configured as follows. It would complete the spiritual triple of LoveSexy, BatMan OST & Graffiti Bridge. Looking at the 10 solid tracks to make a stand alone album I think it holds up brilliantly & would be on a par with say his 2nd tier albums [1st tier obvs being P. Rain, SOTT, 1999 etc]

I think we are ALL agreed on this!

Track list

Disc 1 PRINCE

  1. Can't Stop This Feeling I Got (4:24)
  2. New Power Generation (3:29) 1
  3. The Question Of U (4:00)
  4. Elephants And Flowers (3:54)
  5. We Can Funk [feat. George Clinton] (5:28)
  6. Joy In Repetition (4:53)
  7. Tick, Tick, Bang (3:30)
  8. Thieves In The Temple (3:20) 1
  9. Still Would Stand All Time (5:23)
  10. Graffiti Bridge (3:51)

Disc 2 ASSEMBLE YOUR CREW!

  1. Release It [performed by The Time] (3:54) 2
  2. Round And Round [sung by Tevin Campbell] (3:55) 1
  3. Love Machine [performed by The Time and feat. Elisa Fiorillo] (3:34) 3
  4. Shake! [performed by The Time] (4:01) 1
  5. The Latest Fashion [The Time/Prince] (4:02)
  6. Melody Cool [sung by Mavis Staples] (3:39)
  7. New Power Generation (Pt. II) [feat. T.C. Ellis] (2:5

let's be honest here:

Track list

Disc 1 PRINCE

  1. Can't Stop This Feeling I Got (4:24) - decent enough tune but this version is wet/lame/whatever you want to call it. 6 out of 10
  2. New Power Generation (3:29) - 6 out of 10 at best, lyrics are excruciatingly embarrasing
  3. The Question Of U (4:00) - solid tune. 8 out of 10
  4. Elephants And Flowers (3:54) good, quirky tune (too much God). 7 out of 10
  5. We Can Funk [feat. George Clinton] (5:28) a pale imitation of the actual song. 7 out of 10
  6. Joy In Repetition (4:53) 10 out of 10 song, up there with the best, but ruined by the half arsed, lazy fade in. 8 out of ten
  7. Tick, Tick, Bang (3:30) typical throwaway album track (ronnie talk to russia etc). 5 out of 10
  8. Thieves In The Temple (3:20) cynical wannabe When Doves Cry, comes alive on the 12 inch. 7 out of 10
  9. Still Would Stand All Time (5:23) overblown, overproduced direness. 4 out of 10
  10. Graffiti Bridge (3:51) do I actually have to say anything about this song? I can still literally remember hearing this song for the first time, saying to my mate: 'this is like a toothpaste commercial'. this is the song that broke my Princely heart. 2 out of 1

That's not a killer album right there. Melody Cool is one of the best songs on the album.

[Edited 5/17/19 3:45am]

Yes, I've probably made a spelling mistake, but I can't be arsed to go back and correc tit.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 05/17/19 3:57am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

AvocadosMax said:

Can't Stop This Feeling I Got (4:24) New Power Generation (3:29) 1 The Question Of U (4:00) Elephants And Flowers (3:54) We Can Funk [feat. George Clinton] (5:28) Joy In Repetition (4:53) Tick, Tick, Bang (3:30) Thieves In The Temple (3:20) Album ends right there for me. “Still Would Stand All Time” is a snoozefest, fam. And the title track is a joke [Edited 5/14/19 16:55pm]

no way! Still (who's the full singing will it's) Would Stand all Time" is one of his best!

.

Oh great, now people can't tell "full" and "fool" apart.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 05/17/19 6:54am

TheFman

Does anyone NOT consider "Melody Cool" or "Round and Round" Prince tracks?


Me.

I know they are, but i dont consider them to be and dont ever play them. They're lame. If i buy a Prince-record, i want to hear Prince and not some 'featured'....

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 05/17/19 7:08am

MacDaddy

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

OnlyNDaUsa said:

no way! Still (who's the full singing will it's) Would Stand all Time" is one of his best!

.

Oh great, now people can't tell "full" and "fool" apart.

falloff lol

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 05/17/19 8:42am

PURPLEIZED3121

OOOOF that's some seriously harsh ratings!

RicoN said:

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

Yes, yes I am sure this has been debated to death on here - but so what! I really wish the album was configured as follows. It would complete the spiritual triple of LoveSexy, BatMan OST & Graffiti Bridge. Looking at the 10 solid tracks to make a stand alone album I think it holds up brilliantly & would be on a par with say his 2nd tier albums [1st tier obvs being P. Rain, SOTT, 1999 etc]

I think we are ALL agreed on this!

Track list

Disc 1 PRINCE

  1. Can't Stop This Feeling I Got (4:24)
  2. New Power Generation (3:29) 1
  3. The Question Of U (4:00)
  4. Elephants And Flowers (3:54)
  5. We Can Funk [feat. George Clinton] (5:28)
  6. Joy In Repetition (4:53)
  7. Tick, Tick, Bang (3:30)
  8. Thieves In The Temple (3:20) 1
  9. Still Would Stand All Time (5:23)
  10. Graffiti Bridge (3:51)

Disc 2 ASSEMBLE YOUR CREW!

  1. Release It [performed by The Time] (3:54) 2
  2. Round And Round [sung by Tevin Campbell] (3:55) 1
  3. Love Machine [performed by The Time and feat. Elisa Fiorillo] (3:34) 3
  4. Shake! [performed by The Time] (4:01) 1
  5. The Latest Fashion [The Time/Prince] (4:02)
  6. Melody Cool [sung by Mavis Staples] (3:39)
  7. New Power Generation (Pt. II) [feat. T.C. Ellis] (2:5

let's be honest here:

Track list

Disc 1 PRINCE

  1. Can't Stop This Feeling I Got (4:24) - decent enough tune but this version is wet/lame/whatever you want to call it. 6 out of 10
  2. New Power Generation (3:29) - 6 out of 10 at best, lyrics are excruciatingly embarrasing
  3. The Question Of U (4:00) - solid tune. 8 out of 10
  4. Elephants And Flowers (3:54) good, quirky tune (too much God). 7 out of 10
  5. We Can Funk [feat. George Clinton] (5:28) a pale imitation of the actual song. 7 out of 10
  6. Joy In Repetition (4:53) 10 out of 10 song, up there with the best, but ruined by the half arsed, lazy fade in. 8 out of ten
  7. Tick, Tick, Bang (3:30) typical throwaway album track (ronnie talk to russia etc). 5 out of 10
  8. Thieves In The Temple (3:20) cynical wannabe When Doves Cry, comes alive on the 12 inch. 7 out of 10
  9. Still Would Stand All Time (5:23) overblown, overproduced direness. 4 out of 10
  10. Graffiti Bridge (3:51) do I actually have to say anything about this song? I can still literally remember hearing this song for the first time, saying to my mate: 'this is like a toothpaste commercial'. this is the song that broke my Princely heart. 2 out of 1

That's not a killer album right there. Melody Cool is one of the best songs on the album.

[Edited 5/17/19 3:45am]

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 05/17/19 9:43am

Empress

I enjoy the entire cd. shrug

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 05/17/19 11:42am

databank

avatar

Empress said:

I enjoy the entire cd. shrug

Yeah, me too, I don't care who sings it's still Prince all the way through.

However, if we wanna play the "alternate timelines" game, It could have been interesting to divide the OST in 2 separately sold records, one lead Prince album with the solo Prince tracks, We Can Funk, GB and NPG Pt. II, and one associated artists soundtrack album.

The associated album could then have been a sort of Paisley Park Records sampler as well, featuring the Time, Staples and Campbell songs with guests Candy Dulfer and Elisa Fiorillo from the existing GB, but could also have included Ingrid's 7 Corners, Robin's Number 1, a TC Ellis song and maybe also an unreleased George Clinton song (Soul Psychodelicide?).

However this didn't happen, so...

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 05/19/19 6:02am

violetcrush

MacDaddy said:



BartVanHemelen said:




OnlyNDaUsa said:





no way! Still (who's the full singing will it's) Would Stand all Time" is one of his best!



.


Oh great, now people can't tell "full" and "fool" apart.




falloff lol


lol lol lol
*
Right...how do you NOT hear “fool” on that recording??! Funny how this song was clearly a lament over him trying to find another love in 1988, but morphed into a spiritual song on GB. Or, he just altered the context and improvised for the ‘88 after shows.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 05/19/19 6:09am

violetcrush

RicoN said:

Genesia said:

falloff @ the idea of Tick Tick Bang being "spiritual." Is there a Sacrament of Splooge that I don't know about?

[Edited 5/16/19 11:19am]



The second cumming

lol lol lol
*
Exactly. This album is NOT just spiritual/religious! TTB, JIR, Thieves, and The Q of U are songs about sex, love, and love lost. People need to go back and listen to and/or read the lyrics.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 05/19/19 6:48am

violetcrush

violetcrush said:

RicoN said:
The second cumming
lol lol lol * Exactly. This album is NOT just spiritual/religious! TTB, JIR, Thieves, and The Q of U are songs about sex, love, and love lost. People need to go back and listen to and/or read the lyrics.

....Or, just watch the freakin' film (if you're in the mood for some bad cinematic work - sorry Prince, but it was pretty bad...) and pay attention when he performs the song. Ingrid "Aura" and gang are all giving him the "evil eye" while he's singing this song about blowing his load in or on to some chick. biggrin

*

Common theme with Prince going back to the beginning of his music - one foot in the door of sex, and the other in the door of religion/spirituality. Always dual themes with some racial and political messages sprinkled into the mix.

*

Also important to realize that TTB was originally written and recorded in 1981; Joy In Repetition was originally written in 1985; and Question Of U was originally written and worked on 1985-1987. The original versions of TTB and Q of U are better, in my opinion.

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 05/19/19 10:33am

jfenster

nowwww....GB is not a spirtual movie...what this org is comming to...

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 05/19/19 11:33am

violetcrush

jfenster said:

nowwww....GB is not a spirtual movie...what this org is comming to...

It is Prince's "spiritual" message which included a bridge with graffiti, a real person portraying an angel who also sleeps in Prince's bed with him, a "West Side Story-ish" portayal of two groups fighting over a night club, some notes on a fake brick wall and heart papers, and some really really bad acting biggrin

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 05/19/19 2:12pm

Wlcm2thdwn3

avatar

What is Tick tick bang about? It sure isn't spiritual. confused

How long do u wanna be loved? Is forever enough, is forever enough?
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 05/19/19 3:24pm

violetcrush

Wlcm2thdwn3 said:

What is Tick tick bang about? It sure isn't spiritual. confused


Really??? See Reply #41 biggrin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 05/21/19 12:11pm

jfenster

violetcrush said:

violetcrush said:

RicoN said: lol lol lol * Exactly. This album is NOT just spiritual/religious! TTB, JIR, Thieves, and The Q of U are songs about sex, love, and love lost. People need to go back and listen to and/or read the lyrics.

....Or, just watch the freakin' film (if you're in the mood for some bad cinematic work - sorry Prince, but it was pretty bad...) and pay attention when he performs the song. Ingrid "Aura" and gang are all giving him the "evil eye" while he's singing this song about blowing his load in or on to some chick. biggrin

*

Common theme with Prince going back to the beginning of his music - one foot in the door of sex, and the other in the door of religion/spirituality. Always dual themes with some racial and political messages sprinkled into the mix.

*

Also important to realize that TTB was originally written and recorded in 1981; Joy In Repetition was originally written in 1985; and Question Of U was originally written and worked on 1985-1987. The original versions of TTB and Q of U are better, in my opinion.

i would think it was him struggling with the use of his sexual music to "win" rather than using his spiritual music

 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 05/21/19 12:21pm

violetcrush

jfenster said:



violetcrush said:




violetcrush said:


RicoN said: lol lol lol * Exactly. This album is NOT just spiritual/religious! TTB, JIR, Thieves, and The Q of U are songs about sex, love, and love lost. People need to go back and listen to and/or read the lyrics.


....Or, just watch the freakin' film (if you're in the mood for some bad cinematic work - sorry Prince, but it was pretty bad...) and pay attention when he performs the song. Ingrid "Aura" and gang are all giving him the "evil eye" while he's singing this song about blowing his load in or on to some chick. biggrin


*


Common theme with Prince going back to the beginning of his music - one foot in the door of sex, and the other in the door of religion/spirituality. Always dual themes with some racial and political messages sprinkled into the mix.


*


Also important to realize that TTB was originally written and recorded in 1981; Joy In Repetition was originally written in 1985; and Question Of U was originally written and worked on 1985-1987. The original versions of TTB and Q of U are better, in my opinion.



i would think it was him struggling with the use of his sexual music to "win" rather than using his spiritual music


Yes, the song was sung at a part in the film where Prince had not “learned” God’s message of love and peace, and before Aura’s life was sacrificed in order to bring the rival groups together. Essentially the same message as LoveSexy - casual sex and violence = bad/devil and love/peace = good/God.
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 05/21/19 1:04pm

Strive

Guess I'll also post this here. The original lyrics to Elephants & Flowers.



Boy is lonely on a burning hot summer night
Car door slams
Out jumps Coco in a dress so tight
The likeness of Jesus on her leather coat
She's too smart for ecstacy, she's too fast for coke
She takes the boy by the hand
The only thing he understands
Is that she wants him on the dance floor


Elephants & Flowers


Hot sweaty light paints a picture of red and gold
Only just turned 18 year old, body super bold (super bold)
Scream and dance for 12 hours to the New Power Soul (new power)
No sex, no drugs, no devil here
Just good ol' rock n' roll

Elephants & Flowers

Love the one who is love
The one who gives us the power
The one who made everything
Elephants & Flowers
The one who will listen when all others will not
There will be peace for those who love God alot

Elephants & Flowers
Elephants & Flowers

No confusion (confusion)

No tears (no tears)

No enemies (no)
No fear (no fear)
No sorrow (sorrow)
No pain (no pain)
No ball (no ball & no chain)

Sex is not love
Love is not sex
Putting words in other people's mouth
gonna get you elected

Don't kiss me, just talk to me
Don't kiss me, just talk to me

Love the one who is love
The one who gives us the power
The one who made everything
Elephants & Flowers
The one who will listen when all others will not
There will be peace for those who love God alot




[Edited 5/21/19 13:04pm]

no yesterday or tomorrow, no better remedy for sorrow
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 05/23/19 3:52pm

stillwaiting

violetcrush said:

jfenster said:

nowwww....GB is not a spirtual movie...what this org is comming to...

It is Prince's "spiritual" message which included a bridge with graffiti, a real person portraying an angel who also sleeps in Prince's bed with him, a "West Side Story-ish" portayal of two groups fighting over a night club, some notes on a fake brick wall and heart papers, and some really really bad acting biggrin

Naw, you got it all wrong. Graffiti Bridge is about someone who just watched the movie "Field Of Dreams," and wanted to say "If You Build It, People Will Come." But the well conceived plot got off track, and the story focused on The Time's unusual fanatical fascination with Hall Of Fame Shortstop Robin Yount's last name, and the spirtual value of eating a Hot Pepper. Then some girl gets hit by a Jeep and Prince sings "Still Would Stand All Time." Then everybody is happy.

"If U ever lose some1 dear 2 U, Never say the words they're gone....They'll come back."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 05/23/19 5:17pm

violetcrush

stillwaiting said:



violetcrush said:




jfenster said:


nowwww....GB is not a spirtual movie...what this org is comming to...




It is Prince's "spiritual" message which included a bridge with graffiti, a real person portraying an angel who also sleeps in Prince's bed with him, a "West Side Story-ish" portayal of two groups fighting over a night club, some notes on a fake brick wall and heart papers, and some really really bad acting biggrin



Naw, you got it all wrong. Graffiti Bridge is about someone who just watched the movie "Field Of Dreams," and wanted to say "If You Build It, People Will Come." But the well conceived plot got off track, and the story focused on The Time's unusual fanatical fascination with Hall Of Fame Shortstop Robin Yount's last name, and the spirtual value of eating a Hot Pepper. Then some girl gets hit by a Jeep and Prince sings "Still Would Stand All Time." Then everybody is happy.


lol Yeah, but with Field of Dreams when Kevin built it you knew who would come! Not so much with GB. Add to that scenery that is blatantly fake, several bad songs, and you’ve got a recipe for a Razzie award eek biggrin
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 05/23/19 5:45pm

stillwaiting

violetcrush said:

stillwaiting said:

Naw, you got it all wrong. Graffiti Bridge is about someone who just watched the movie "Field Of Dreams," and wanted to say "If You Build It, People Will Come." But the well conceived plot got off track, and the story focused on The Time's unusual fanatical fascination with Hall Of Fame Shortstop Robin Yount's last name, and the spirtual value of eating a Hot Pepper. Then some girl gets hit by a Jeep and Prince sings "Still Would Stand All Time." Then everybody is happy.

lol Yeah, but with Field of Dreams when Kevin built it you knew who would come! Not so much with GB. Add to that scenery that is blatantly fake, several bad songs, and you’ve got a recipe for a Razzie award eek biggrin

As bad as the movie is, and trust me, it makes UTCM look like a 7 Academy Award winner, there is something worse: The Million Dollar Hotel. My favorite band is U2, and Bono co-wrote the original story. When I saw it, I was happy I saw something worse than GB. But it must've hurt his inflated rock star ego.

"If U ever lose some1 dear 2 U, Never say the words they're gone....They'll come back."
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 05/23/19 6:16pm

violetcrush

stillwaiting said:



violetcrush said:


stillwaiting said:


Naw, you got it all wrong. Graffiti Bridge is about someone who just watched the movie "Field Of Dreams," and wanted to say "If You Build It, People Will Come." But the well conceived plot got off track, and the story focused on The Time's unusual fanatical fascination with Hall Of Fame Shortstop Robin Yount's last name, and the spirtual value of eating a Hot Pepper. Then some girl gets hit by a Jeep and Prince sings "Still Would Stand All Time." Then everybody is happy.



lol Yeah, but with Field of Dreams when Kevin built it you knew who would come! Not so much with GB. Add to that scenery that is blatantly fake, several bad songs, and you’ve got a recipe for a Razzie award eek biggrin


As bad as the movie is, and trust me, it makes UTCM look like a 7 Academy Award winner, there is something worse: The Million Dollar Hotel. My favorite band is U2, and Bono co-wrote the original story. When I saw it, I was happy I saw something worse than GB. But it must've hurt his inflated rock star ego.


Interesting. Must be bad because I’ve never heard of the film. I guess proof that musicians should usually stick to making music smile
 Reply w/quote - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
Reply   New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Graffiti Bridge - Prince songs only = a killer spiritual album!