independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 22nd Jul 2019 7:56pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > WAY BACK HOME ( SONG APPRECIATION THREAD)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #120 posted 05/14/19 8:16am

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

TrcikyChristopher said:

Vannormal said:

-

just wish that Joshua kept away from it...

hate those 'artificial' winds and woosh sounds and telephone voices...

not very fond of the background singers either.

I do love L. La Havas, but here on this track... naaah!

strings are beautiful but mixed way back to the front, and the thing I miss most in this song is the guitar. It should've been a guitar driven track, with a phat heart tearing guitar solo.

-

to me it does not sound as a Prince track, although the lyrics are truely him.

It isn't hunting enough (although it sounds like a promise throughout the song)

-

I don't get the goose bumps.

imho of course

-

Prince wrote the song to Joshua's track.

Say what you will, but without Joshua's instrumental, "Way Back Home" wouldn't have existed.

His production on that album inspired Prince.

Joshua evolved immensely as a producer from his Counter Culture days and I believe it was Paisley Park's environment and Prince's encouragement that did that.

His work on Judith's album and Golden Hippie's single "Stones" (which P co-wrote) are really good.

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #121 posted 05/14/19 9:18am

80tomato

lastdecember said:

Krystalkisses said:

lastdecember said: Ok so then you just give up on life? I just dont get that mindset. There are many people as they age who lose the ability to do what they love and have to grapple with losing that safety net. I guess I just see the life span in a different way as it was my senior thesis in college and I worked in a nursing home while I was pregnant and saw old age, dying and death up close. But I agree we can't know what was inside his head but I find the people who are terrified of aging the most have deeper reasons for that, that go beyond just losing looks and not getting the attention you once did.

I dont think he gave up, but I really see things differently now then I first did when he passed. There are so many underlying personal issues that we will never know, but I have always believed that because prince was so private had never had any kinds of scandals in his life, the last thing he ever would want to be known for would be having an addiction to pain medication. We all know how the press runs with things, I mean the TMZ coverage of his plane landing and the cover story coming out that he had the flu. this was already spirialing and he was doing everything that someone who is trying to hide something does, he was scared, for all his preaching to others he in the end had become hooked, this HAD to be on his mind. And to put that all on top of other people he knew just dieing left and right, Bowie and Houston and Glen Frey and others and MJ I mean Prince locking himself away for 4 days from that death? Factor all that in with his own self, feeling like "what now" " what do I do, I have done it all, I'm the only one left" I think Prince was dealing with more than just pain. Music was his life I know that to the average person we dont get how losing those abilities would effect a person, but I mean Prince really had nothing else at this point, no wife no domestic life, he was all for playing and after parties and that was now gone. His last tour he was saying that "they wont let me or he couldnt play guitar" I mean there's so much here.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #122 posted 05/14/19 9:20am

80tomato

plus , to reiterate, he had fair warning that the tablets were deadly and he still took them RIP

lastdecember said:

Krystalkisses said:

lastdecember said: Ok so then you just give up on life? I just dont get that mindset. There are many people as they age who lose the ability to do what they love and have to grapple with losing that safety net. I guess I just see the life span in a different way as it was my senior thesis in college and I worked in a nursing home while I was pregnant and saw old age, dying and death up close. But I agree we can't know what was inside his head but I find the people who are terrified of aging the most have deeper reasons for that, that go beyond just losing looks and not getting the attention you once did.

I dont think he gave up, but I really see things differently now then I first did when he passed. There are so many underlying personal issues that we will never know, but I have always believed that because prince was so private had never had any kinds of scandals in his life, the last thing he ever would want to be known for would be having an addiction to pain medication. We all know how the press runs with things, I mean the TMZ coverage of his plane landing and the cover story coming out that he had the flu. this was already spirialing and he was doing everything that someone who is trying to hide something does, he was scared, for all his preaching to others he in the end had become hooked, this HAD to be on his mind. And to put that all on top of other people he knew just dieing left and right, Bowie and Houston and Glen Frey and others and MJ I mean Prince locking himself away for 4 days from that death? Factor all that in with his own self, feeling like "what now" " what do I do, I have done it all, I'm the only one left" I think Prince was dealing with more than just pain. Music was his life I know that to the average person we dont get how losing those abilities would effect a person, but I mean Prince really had nothing else at this point, no wife no domestic life, he was all for playing and after parties and that was now gone. His last tour he was saying that "they wont let me or he couldnt play guitar" I mean there's so much here.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #123 posted 05/14/19 9:53am

rdhull

avatar

TrcikyChristopher said:

Vannormal said:

-

just wish that Joshua kept away from it...

hate those 'artificial' winds and woosh sounds and telephone voices...

not very fond of the background singers either.

I do love L. La Havas, but here on this track... naaah!

strings are beautiful but mixed way back to the front, and the thing I miss most in this song is the guitar. It should've been a guitar driven track, with a phat heart tearing guitar solo.

-

to me it does not sound as a Prince track, although the lyrics are truely him.

It isn't hunting enough (although it sounds like a promise throughout the song)

-

I don't get the goose bumps.

imho of course

-

Prince wrote the song to Joshua's track.

Say what you will, but without Joshua's instrumental, "Way Back Home" wouldn't have existed.

His production on that album inspired Prince.

I did not kow that (c) Johnny Carson

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #124 posted 05/14/19 11:05am

Krystalkisses

avatar

lastdecember said:



Krystalkisses said:


lastdecember said:

We cant be in Prince's head but also have to realize that he was human, and I feel death finally Humanized him to people that thought he was super human and not of this earth or something like that. We DO NOT know his mind those last years, but from what i heard from a few like his sister and a few others, there was a feeling of "I have done all this before" feeling like what else do I have to do, I think the solo tour was a shot at doing something he had not done, I also totally believe in this time he did not want others around him because he knew he had a problem and he didnt want people to know. If he toured with a big band or 3rd eye girl i think he wouldnt have felt he could hide it. So we really dont or will ever know, was he depressed was he alone he had to be feeling a real feeling of his own mortality and getting old, regardless of looking good for his age which he always did he for awhile had not been able to do things he could do in his late 30's and 40's so its all in how he took that. Some regardless of it can except it, maybe Prince couldnt, I mean what else did he have? He wasnt going to start acting or being a photographer and never tour and play live, that is what he lived for and now it was a problem to even do it, or why do it even.



Ok so then you just give up on life? I just dont get that mindset. There are many people as they age who lose the ability to do what they love and have to grapple with losing that safety net. I guess I just see the life span in a different way as it was my senior thesis in college and I worked in a nursing home while I was pregnant and saw old age, dying and death up close. But I agree we can't know what was inside his head but I find the people who are terrified of aging the most have deeper reasons for that, that go beyond just losing looks and not getting the attention you once did.


I dont think he gave up, but I really see things differently now then I first did when he passed. There are so many underlying personal issues that we will never know, but I have always believed that because prince was so private had never had any kinds of scandals in his life, the last thing he ever would want to be known for would be having an addiction to pain medication. We all know how the press runs with things, I mean the TMZ coverage of his plane landing and the cover story coming out that he had the flu. this was already spirialing and he was doing everything that someone who is trying to hide something does, he was scared, for all his preaching to others he in the end had become hooked, this HAD to be on his mind. And to put that all on top of other people he knew just dieing left and right, Bowie and Houston and Glen Frey and others and MJ I mean Prince locking himself away for 4 days from that death? Factor all that in with his own self, feeling like "what now" " what do I do, I have done it all, I'm the only one left" I think Prince was dealing with more than just pain. Music was his life I know that to the average person we dont get how losing those abilities would effect a person, but I mean Prince really had nothing else at this point, no wife no domestic life, he was all for playing and after parties and that was now gone. His last tour he was saying that "they wont let me or he couldnt play guitar" I mean there's so much here.



I do get what you are saying and your understanding of the situation and empathy for him, I admire that. You are right, he did have these added pressures that the average person could never understand, and the social isolation that fame inevitably brings, the change in the music industry, that us alot...but I guess, I mean it is just the universal injustice of it that just annoys me so MUCH!!! I mean it isn't like he had a biological clock , he could have still started a family, found a way...i don't know , he could have had those things but he chose not to...it just seems like he got off Scot free from all of his bad decisions, all his manipulative behavior, his abuse towards others, his ego...it just annoys me because it seems he really didn't have to live with his decisions and choices, he didn't really spend much time of the ego integrity VS. Dispare stage of Erik Erickson's life stage ...im just irritates me because why do people who actually try to improve and be giving and try to actually live by God's word, they have to keep facing challenges and Prince and all his destructive behavior and immature antics he just gets to enjoy heaven??? I'm just annoyed at the unfairness of it! Sorry for rambling. Honestly it isn't about Prince as a person, he just always emotionally triggered me because he totally reminds me of my father in so many ways and it just doesn't seem right that Prince got a free pass from feeling the effects of the abuse and immaturity he added to the world , I mean he was probably emotionally numb from all those drugs and now he gets to rock out in heaven while people who didn't do half of what he did have to still suffer and are forced to give up those crutches that keep them from facing themselves. The metaphysical injustice, ugh! Sorry for the rant. sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #125 posted 05/14/19 11:26am

AnnaSantana

gold31 said:

Haven't played it since he passed. Just can't bring myself to do it.

I don't blame you. That song breaks your heart into a million pieces. broken bheart

finger DONALD TRUMP
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #126 posted 05/14/19 1:08pm

PeteSilas

yup, he wasn't stupid he never seemed to be a guy who could be so lost in denial that that could happen. he quasi admitted to a problem, although somewhat cryptically, when he said he was "too close to it" when asked about MJ's death.

80tomato said:

plus , to reiterate, he had fair warning that the tablets were deadly and he still took them RIP

lastdecember said:

I dont think he gave up, but I really see things differently now then I first did when he passed. There are so many underlying personal issues that we will never know, but I have always believed that because prince was so private had never had any kinds of scandals in his life, the last thing he ever would want to be known for would be having an addiction to pain medication. We all know how the press runs with things, I mean the TMZ coverage of his plane landing and the cover story coming out that he had the flu. this was already spirialing and he was doing everything that someone who is trying to hide something does, he was scared, for all his preaching to others he in the end had become hooked, this HAD to be on his mind. And to put that all on top of other people he knew just dieing left and right, Bowie and Houston and Glen Frey and others and MJ I mean Prince locking himself away for 4 days from that death? Factor all that in with his own self, feeling like "what now" " what do I do, I have done it all, I'm the only one left" I think Prince was dealing with more than just pain. Music was his life I know that to the average person we dont get how losing those abilities would effect a person, but I mean Prince really had nothing else at this point, no wife no domestic life, he was all for playing and after parties and that was now gone. His last tour he was saying that "they wont let me or he couldnt play guitar" I mean there's so much here.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #127 posted 05/15/19 5:22pm

herb4

avatar

rdhull said:

ChocolateBox3121 said:

I wonder was that the nephew I use to hang & be close with?!

That quote is A COMPLETE LIE! Prince(r.i.p.) had MUCH RESPECT for his fans. It's the reason he continued to play live and record until the day he transitioned. He actually died for his fans. Which makes his hit single "I would Die 4 U" more eerie.


So Prince is Jesus now? Some fans are touched/dangerous.


It's been that way quite abit around here for many, but especially since he died.

Whoa

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #128 posted 05/15/19 5:54pm

gandorb

I immediately felt the song the first time I heard it and every time I have played it since then. It was as if Prince finally let us see and feel some of the struggles he was having in the latter years. There is no other song of his that evokes as much empathy from me for him, which again is telling that he is expressing some genuine and deep emotions. Absolutely brilliant and essential Prince.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #129 posted 05/15/19 6:02pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

rdhull said:



ChocolateBox3121 said:




PeteSilas said:



hendrix's dad told richards manager that jimi would "eat ten yards of shit" to play with little richard when he gave his ok for it. that's pretty much my feelings. richard doesn't look the same but his brain is sharp as ever and he's still funny. also, he tells the story of how he retired, a nephew of his told him he didn't sound good anymore and was afraid richard would get mad, richard listened and retired. that's humility. Jerry lee Lewis should probably think about not performing too but who would I be to say he should stop? I couldn't ever see Prince giving up anything gracefully, yet and still, as someone else correctly said, he could have done a million other things, produced, wrote, scored, he made the decisions he wanted to make. Someone on here, about 15 years ago, said that between richard and prince "one would die lonely and it won't be little richard". Sometimes I think of that. just found the actual quote from then:


[Edited 5/13/19 18:55pm]wrong. he has respect for his fans unlike Prince. one of the two will die sad and lonely and it ain't gonna be little Richard. Matthew 6:19-21.



[Edited 5/13/19 19:03pm]



I wonder was that the nephew I use to hang & be close with?!



That quote is A COMPLETE LIE! Prince(r.i.p.) had MUCH RESPECT for his fans. It's the reason he continued to play live and record until the day he transitioned. He actually died for his fans. Which makes his hit single "I would Die 4 U" more eerie.






So Prince is Jesus now? Some fans are touched/dangerous.




I wish I could have been in charge of the list of the contestants for the contest to be a guest at Prince’s(r.i.p.) 3121 mansion. I know EXACTLY who I would have DELETED off of it.
So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #130 posted 05/15/19 7:11pm

rdhull

avatar

herb4 said:

rdhull said:

So Prince is Jesus now? Some fans are touched/dangerous.


It's been that way quite abit around here for many, but especially since he died.

Whoa

Nah. Many have overpraised, felt he is the best musician of all time etc etc, said he had the best body etc etc but none have observed him continually as a Jesus deity like she does, something that Prince himself felt distasteful.

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #131 posted 05/15/19 7:12pm

rdhull

avatar

ChocolateBox3121 said:

rdhull said:

So Prince is Jesus now? Some fans are touched/dangerous.

I wish I could have been in charge of the list of the contestants for the contest to be a guest at Prince’s(r.i.p.) 3121 mansion. I know EXACTLY who I would have DELETED off of it.

Im really a nice/great guy.

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #132 posted 05/16/19 10:50am

lastdecember

avatar

PeteSilas said:

yup, he wasn't stupid he never seemed to be a guy who could be so lost in denial that that could happen. he quasi admitted to a problem, although somewhat cryptically, when he said he was "too close to it" when asked about MJ's death.

80tomato said:

plus , to reiterate, he had fair warning that the tablets were deadly and he still took them RIP

I dont buy into his not knowing what he was taking, He OD'd after a concert, which means he was taking during the show or right after it. So he knew exactly what he was taking or if he didnt and that was the first time he ever took it a "red flag" would have went up to check into what he was taking, not to get more. I know people dont like to hear it and they would prefer it was something sinister or murder, but he was a 57 year old man who was either in so much pain he had to have it or so addicted he had to have it.


"We went where our music was appreciated, and that was everywhere but the USA, we knew we had fans, but there is only so much of the world you can play at once" Magne F
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #133 posted 05/16/19 1:05pm

JoeyCococo

gold31 said:

Haven't played it since he passed. Just can't bring myself to do it.

Hard to listen to this one...seems so unlike him to talk this way. I found it odd in 2014 and found it terrible sad after...you know,.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #134 posted 05/16/19 1:14pm

PeteSilas

JoeyCococo said:

gold31 said:

Haven't played it since he passed. Just can't bring myself to do it.

Hard to listen to this one...seems so unlike him to talk this way. I found it odd in 2014 and found it terrible sad after...you know,.

It was unusual for him to release tracks like that but honestly, he had been recording songs that were that purely honest since Old Friends 4 Sale, susan rogers gave some pseudo-intellectual reason for him not releasing the brilliant track, I don't know if it's true or not, but the same reasoning applied to his erasing the mythic "wally" and for my money, Avalanche is one of those songs and one of the best, buried in the obscure ONA album and hated by his white fans.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #135 posted 05/16/19 1:54pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

PeteSilas said:

JoeyCococo said:

Hard to listen to this one...seems so unlike him to talk this way. I found it odd in 2014 and found it terrible sad after...you know,.

It was unusual for him to release tracks like that but honestly, he had been recording songs that were that purely honest since Old Friends 4 Sale, susan rogers gave some pseudo-intellectual reason for him not releasing the brilliant track, I don't know if it's true or not, but the same reasoning applied to his erasing the mythic "wally" and for my money, Avalanche is one of those songs and one of the best, buried in the obscure ONA album and hated by his white fans.

So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #136 posted 05/17/19 2:52am

jjam

PeteSilas said:

JoeyCococo said:

Hard to listen to this one...seems so unlike him to talk this way. I found it odd in 2014 and found it terrible sad after...you know,.

It was unusual for him to release tracks like that but honestly, he had been recording songs that were that purely honest since Old Friends 4 Sale, susan rogers gave some pseudo-intellectual reason for him not releasing the brilliant track, I don't know if it's true or not, but the same reasoning applied to his erasing the mythic "wally" and for my money, Avalanche is one of those songs and one of the best, buried in the obscure ONA album and hated by his white fans.

Nice generalisation there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #137 posted 05/17/19 6:26am

nosajd

avatar

jjam said:

PeteSilas said:

It was unusual for him to release tracks like that but honestly, he had been recording songs that were that purely honest since Old Friends 4 Sale, susan rogers gave some pseudo-intellectual reason for him not releasing the brilliant track, I don't know if it's true or not, but the same reasoning applied to his erasing the mythic "wally" and for my money, Avalanche is one of those songs and one of the best, buried in the obscure ONA album and hated by his white fans.

Nice generalisation there.


Right, geeze

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #138 posted 05/17/19 9:58am

JoeyCococo

elease tracks like that but honestly, he had been recording songs that were that purely honest since Old Friends 4 Sale, susan rogers gave some pseudo-intellectual reason for him not releasing the brilliant track, I don't know if it's true or not, but the same reasoning applied to his erasing the mythic "wally" and for my money, Avalanche is one of those songs and one of the best, buried in the obscure ONA album and hated by


Good points...we will never know what happened. My thinking is that he was so known to be against drugs, that the acknowledgment that he was addicted may have been too much for him. He was so proud and likely stubborn.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #139 posted 05/17/19 12:36pm

PeteSilas

nosajd said:

jjam said:

Nice generalisation there.


Right, geeze

well, they certainly seemed to have oversensitive reactions to it, the debates are on here about it. People picked apart the merits of the historical accuracy of the lyrics to take veil the hurt feelings. My take on the lyrics? they weren't meant as literally as they were written (Ellington spurned john hammond, never worked with him that I know of, for example) but the points were valid and the music was great, one of those Prince moments, like way back home where I stopped what I was doing and just listened when I first heard it.

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #140 posted 05/17/19 4:06pm

herb4

avatar

I wouldn't stick Avalanche in anywhere near Old For Friends For Sale or Way Back Home and me being a white dude has nothing to do with it. It's just kind of boring but good job trying to be edgy and divisive for no reason I guess, whoever posted that comment.

Avalanche is just like a dissertation and musically doesn't really do much or move at all.

Got me thinking about Prince's most revealing songs though and I drummed up an off the top of my head short list and it's rather difficult really. Most of his vulnerable songs are usually about love lost or, in fact, someone ELSE wronging him (a woman, a record company) or else steeped in bravado. Rarely, does it seem it's about him or his weaknesses or mistakes. Intersting to me really thinking about it but these tracks suggest a vulnerable nature we never normally got:

Way Back Home
Papa
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Come Back
Old Friends 4 Sale
Anna Stesia
When Doves Cry
The Breakdown

Don't Play Me

Might make for interesting thread topic on its own. There aren't that many around here any more.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #141 posted 05/17/19 4:30pm

ChocolateBox31
21

avatar

herb4 said:

I wouldn't stick Avalanche in anywhere near Old For Friends For Sale or Way Back Home and me being a white dude has nothing to do with it. It's just kind of boring but good job trying to be edgy and divisive for no reason I guess, whoever posted that comment.

Avalanche is just like a dissertation and musically doesn't really do much or move at all.

Got me thinking about Prince's most revealing songs though and I drummed up an off the top of my head short list and it's rather difficult really. Most of his vulnerable songs are usually about love lost or, in fact, someone ELSE wronging him (a woman, a record company) or else steeped in bravado. Rarely, does it seem it's about him or his weaknesses or mistakes. Intersting to me really thinking about it but these tracks suggest a vulnerable nature we never normally got:

Way Back Home
Papa
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Come Back
Old Friends 4 Sale
Anna Stesia
When Doves Cry
The Breakdown

Don't Play Me

Goodbye

Another Lonely Xmas

Reflection

Somewhere Here On Earth

Future Soul Song

June

Hello

Purple Rain

Might make for interesting thread topic on its own. There aren't that many around here any more.


So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #142 posted 05/17/19 5:09pm

ufoclub

avatar

"Avalanche" wrecks me both the lyrics, and what they mean, how I realte them perosnally to some things, and the clever metaphor, the changing scope of the song, and the incredible melody.

It's a "Joy in Repetition" level favorite for me.

"Way Back Home"... when I first listened to this album (right at it's release). And it got to this part, I felt like the whole thing was a mortal goodbye, almost like the sweetest suicide note. I was floored. It was like he was looking forward to death through a sci-fi metaphor.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #143 posted 05/17/19 6:38pm

PeteSilas

ya, most of the love songs like "i hate u" etc.., gave a very onesided view of things, so, i kinda take those with a grain of salt no matter how great they are and some of them are really great, the only love song i would even put in the same place as way back home is "i love u but I don't trust u anymore". susan rogers described condition of the heart as one of those songs that were so intimate and honest but i never really liked that one. I loved avalanche, the music was great and the lyrics spoke to me being Indian and all, as well as I interpreted Prince as being honest with at least some of his feeling for a rare time. Remember, this is a guy that was eager to "pass" and say his momma was italian and just saying things that a white audience would love to hear. Songs as honest as avalanche and way back home, are just so honest that I don't think they could be faked, which is what gives them their power. you don't like it, you don't like it but i'm just going off of the old threads on it, his white fans, or I assume they were white because I can't see black people having an issue with the lyrics even if they are controversial, they didn't like it. I've said it before, when an artist has fans they seem to think they own the artist and if the artist strays outside of their expectations they turn on them, not just Prince, all artists have to deal with that. His white fans preferred the Prince who sang "black and white, puerto rican everybody just a freakin" or whatever the correct lyrics were. He meant both, "uptown" was a real construction in his brain and he meant that ideal and I think he meant the things that he said in these other songs, but, you can't win over everyone, someone earlier in the thread said Prince was "bullshitting" on way back home.

herb4 said:

I wouldn't stick Avalanche in anywhere near Old For Friends For Sale or Way Back Home and me being a white dude has nothing to do with it. It's just kind of boring but good job trying to be edgy and divisive for no reason I guess, whoever posted that comment.

Avalanche is just like a dissertation and musically doesn't really do much or move at all.

Got me thinking about Prince's most revealing songs though and I drummed up an off the top of my head short list and it's rather difficult really. Most of his vulnerable songs are usually about love lost or, in fact, someone ELSE wronging him (a woman, a record company) or else steeped in bravado. Rarely, does it seem it's about him or his weaknesses or mistakes. Intersting to me really thinking about it but these tracks suggest a vulnerable nature we never normally got:

Way Back Home
Papa
If I Was Your Girlfriend
Come Back
Old Friends 4 Sale
Anna Stesia
When Doves Cry
The Breakdown

Don't Play Me

Might make for interesting thread topic on its own. There aren't that many around here any more.


Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #144 posted 05/17/19 6:42pm

PeteSilas

ufoclub said:

"Avalanche" wrecks me both the lyrics, and what they mean, how I realte them perosnally to some things, and the clever metaphor, the changing scope of the song, and the incredible melody.

It's a "Joy in Repetition" level favorite for me.

"Way Back Home"... when I first listened to this album (right at it's release). And it got to this part, I felt like the whole thing was a mortal goodbye, almost like the sweetest suicide note. I was floored. It was like he was looking forward to death through a sci-fi metaphor.

for some reason, i thought of you when I wrote about avalanche, as being one of the fans who wouldn't have liked it, that's surprising, why could you relate to it? Don't know why I thought of you but I did, maybe because you poo poo'd some of prince's more silly ideas (which deserved questioning).

Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #145 posted 05/18/19 1:45am

Sinnick

leadline said:

There's so many reasons why
I don't belong here
But now that I am I
Without fear I am
Gonna conquer with no fear

[Edited 5/9/19 8:17am]

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before, but I've always felt he wasn't saying 'But now that I am I'. That never made sense to me. Instead, I thought he was trying to say...

'But now that I am about to die'

However, he didn't want to sing the whole phrase - either for effect or because that would be too much of a reveal. Consequently, he stops at the first syllable of 'about' producing an "ahhh" sound which could pass for "I".

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #146 posted 05/18/19 1:51am

PeteSilas

Sinnick said:



leadline said:


There's so many reasons why
I don't belong here
But now that I am I
Without fear I am
Gonna conquer with no fear


[Edited 5/9/19 8:17am]




I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before, but I've always felt he wasn't saying 'But now that I am I'. That never made sense to me. Instead, I thought he was trying to say...



'But now that I am about to die'



However, he didn't want to sing the whole phrase - either for effect or because that would be too much of a reveal. Consequently, he stops at the first syllable of 'about' producing an "ahhh" sound which could pass for "I".


Good catch no one will totally convince me that he didn't have doubts of living
Prince.org: With fans like these he didn't need haters.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #147 posted 05/18/19 5:33am

herb4

avatar

Sinnick said:

leadline said:

There's so many reasons why
I don't belong here
But now that I am I
Without fear I am
Gonna conquer with no fear

[Edited 5/9/19 8:17am]

I don't know if this has ever been mentioned before, but I've always felt he wasn't saying 'But now that I am I'. That never made sense to me. Instead, I thought he was trying to say...

'But now that I am about to die'


Maybe the place he thinks he "doesn't belong" is exactly what you describe.

Because I've always been all "don't belong WHERE?"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #148 posted 05/18/19 8:14am

laytonian

ChocolateBox3121 said:

rdhull said:

So Prince is Jesus now? Some fans are touched/dangerous.

I wish I could have been in charge of the list of the contestants for the contest to be a guest at Prince’s(r.i.p.) 3121 mansion. I know EXACTLY who I would have DELETED off of it.
-----------------------
So Prince, whom fought 4 his first record deal & got it, fought 4 a movie deal & got it, fought 4 freedom from his WB contract & got it, fought 4 his masters & got them.Gets a curable illness & says 2 himself ok, I'm done. "Life is a Box Of Chocolates"

HUH? WTF?

*who
You're saying "him fought 4 his first record deal"

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #149 posted 05/18/19 8:18am

laytonian

80tomato said:

plus , to reiterate, he had fair warning that the tablets were deadly and he still took them

What's your source for THAT?
The hospital pharmacist, when asked to analyze a pill, deemed it "legitimate".

Welcome to "the org", laytonian… come bathe with me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 5 of 6 <123456>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > WAY BACK HOME ( SONG APPRECIATION THREAD)