independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 16th Jul 2019 6:06pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Guitar Only Seen Twice
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/27/19 3:17pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

The Guitar Only Seen Twice

When I bought the Guitar and Bass book from Paisley Park, it had the guitar Wendy played in "Raspberry Beret". I thought it was the only time we'd seen that guitar. It hung in one of the studios at Paisley Park (as seen in the Carver Co. investigation photos).

However, it seems Prince also played it himself in "4 The Tears In Your Eyes". There are flourishes on either side of the sound hole. Clearly the same acoustic for both videos.

pat-smear-foo-fighters-nirvana-germs-pri Tears.jpg

It's one of those quirks where we rarely see something, like the cloud bass ("Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad", "My Name Is Prince" and "TMBGITW").

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/27/19 3:31pm

InThisBedIDrea
m

I'm pretty sure that guitar was at the My Name Is Prince exhibition at the O2 in London.

I could be wrong as it was that long ago now but if I remember correctly it was placed by Prince's cloud suit.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/27/19 4:44pm

42Kristen

Wow. After that. Prince never used that style of guitar ever again? This is what made Prince so different and unique prince

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/27/19 10:14pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

InThisBedIDream said:

I'm pretty sure that guitar was at the My Name Is Prince exhibition at the O2 in London.

I could be wrong as it was that long ago now but if I remember correctly it was placed by Prince's cloud suit.


It would make sense to display it near that suit.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/27/19 10:16pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

42Kristen said:

Wow. After that. Prince never used that style of guitar ever again? This is what made Prince so different and unique prince


Nooo, Prince had over 130 guitars. If he was that unique he'd have never played the cloud guitar after Purple Rain. I also never said he never used "that style" again. It's an acoustic guitar for heaven's sake.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/28/19 12:37am

ian

avatar

It's a 12-string though - I can't really think of any other time he's been seen with a 12-string in his hands.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/28/19 12:37am

Kares

avatar

The soundboard of this guitar is broken so he just kept it on the wall in the studio.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/28/19 12:58am

ian

avatar

Kares said:

The soundboard of this guitar is broken so he just kept it on the wall in the studio.

Soundboard?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/28/19 1:09am

Kares

avatar

ian said:

Kares said:

The soundboard of this guitar is broken so he just kept it on the wall in the studio.

Soundboard?

.

Yes, soundboard. Aka "the top".

[Edited 4/28/19 1:09am]

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/28/19 2:16am

JorisE73

Kares said:

ian said:

Soundboard?

.

Yes, soundboard. Aka "the top".

[Edited 4/28/19 1:09am]


This guitar was on display at the exhibition in Amsterdam but I didn't see any damage on the soundboard of it and it look great, just some broken and missing strings.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/28/19 3:42am

Kares

avatar

JorisE73 said:

Kares said:

.

Yes, soundboard. Aka "the top".

[Edited 4/28/19 1:09am]


This guitar was on display at the exhibition in Amsterdam but I didn't see any damage on the soundboard of it and it look great, just some broken and missing strings.

.

See 'Guitar & Bass' p. 14–15. (And if it was missing strings at the exhibition that is ridiculous. That whole exhibition was so unprofessional it's unbelievable.)

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/29/19 2:56am

ian

avatar

Kares said:

ian said:

Soundboard?

.

Yes, soundboard. Aka "the top".

[Edited 4/28/19 1:09am]

Ah OK I'm not an acoustic player so never heard the term. FWIW it looked fine at the My Name Is Prince exhibit, saw it at quite close rnage.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/29/19 3:06am

Kares

avatar

ian said:

Kares said:

.

Yes, soundboard. Aka "the top".

[Edited 4/28/19 1:09am]

Ah OK I'm not an acoustic player so never heard the term. FWIW it looked fine at the My Name Is Prince exhibit, saw it at quite close rnage.

.

See 'Guitar & Bass' p. 14–15.
That's a broken and unplayable (as the neck is out of position too) guitar.

Friends don't let friends clap on 1 and 3.

The Paisley Park Vault spreadsheet: https://goo.gl/zzWHrU
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/29/19 8:45am

RodeoSchro

avatar

According to that book, there were several guitars we never saw that were used extensively on recordings. That book, in my opinion, should be on EVERY Prince fan's coffee table.

On a somewhat-related note (guitar stuff, anyway), I spoke with a fellow who'd been a session guitarist at Paisley during the 90's and asked him some Prince guitar questions. He gave me a couple answers that were new to me. Specifically:

1. At Paisley jam/recording sessions, Prince often used a capo - something I have never seen him do live or on video; and

2. Prince also used alternate tunings, but apparently never on a record.

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/29/19 8:56am

Genesia

avatar

ian said:

It's a 12-string though - I can't really think of any other time he's been seen with a 12-string in his hands.


Yeah ... he didn't often try to sound like The Hollies. lol

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Guitar Only Seen Twice