independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 14th Nov 2019 4:04am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Estate to Release ‘Originals’ Album: His Versions of Songs He Gave to Other Artists (EXCLUSIVE)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 6 of 32 « First<2345678910>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #150 posted 04/25/19 12:28pm

Sexybeast

avatar

Who is releasing all these Estate albums? From what i read the money does not go to the remaining Nelson Family, the estate is run by some lawyer's and accountaints at Commerica Bank and Trust.

So who is green lighting all these releases? Its my premonition, this is beling done to generate money to pay Lawyer fees.

Did Tyka or the Nelson brothers and sisters have any say in this?

Henry H. 0+> Fan From Virginia
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #151 posted 04/25/19 12:58pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

They're totally gearing up to run the same liner notes scam as last time. Nobody act surprised on release day.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #152 posted 04/25/19 1:01pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

thisisreece said:

As WhisperingDandelions said in the other thread:


Honestly I think I'm most excited for "Make-Up." One of his most intense and dark new wave tracks, borderline goth electro. I predict a dramatic re-assessment from people who normally write off the Vanity 6 project.

'

I'm the most excited and surprised by the inclusion of this song. It's one of the best songs he didn't put his name to, and probably the strangest. Just the other day I was wodnering what it would sound like with Prince's vocals.

Obviously there are some songs I'd have liked to see, (for instance, 777-9311 would be an incredible opener), but this will be an interesting release and I look forward to it. My only complaint, and its an esoteric one which likely only bothers myself, is that it features 'Baby, You're a Trip'. The Prince version is one of my favourite unreleased songs and I've always wished it would be the final song on a thematic 1999-era album (the sort which would feature songs like 'Purple Music', 'Moonbeam Levels', 'Extraloveable') which this release makes even less likely.

I've been running "Make-Up" on a loop since yesterday. It's always been one of my favorites, the definition of "cutting edge" Prince. I'm so psyched for this.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #153 posted 04/25/19 1:03pm

ThirdStrike

avatar

Ok, I have a question. The press release states that the album will stream exclusively through TIDAL for the first 14 days. It also has language in that release that reads "In the Spirit of sharing Prince's music with his fans as he wanted, the album will be available to stream in Master quality via TIDAL'S HiFi subscription tier". Now, the "normal" subscription tier is "Premium" with a $9.99/month price point. The "HiFi" tier is priced at $19.99/month. That said, am I reading it right to say that the only option to stream for the first 14 days is to purchase (or upgrade to) the "HiFi" tier at the higher price point, or will I as an existing subscriber be able to stream under my current "Premier" tier?

Thoughts?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #154 posted 04/25/19 1:14pm

LenguaDePlata

WhisperingDandelions said:


I've been running "Make-Up" on a loop since yesterday. It's always been one of my favorites, the definition of "cutting edge" Prince. I'm so psyched for this.


I’ve been listening to it today for the first time in a while with my headphones on and half way through the song I thought to myself ‘freaking ‘ell, this song is awesome!’.
Life is just a party, and parties weren’t meant to last...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #155 posted 04/25/19 1:14pm

JudasSmile

avatar

Now this is the kind of release I want to see! I'm really looking forward to this.

U been bamboozled, hoodwinked, took.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #156 posted 04/25/19 1:19pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

Romeoblu said:

I already put together a volume 2. Telepathy 101 Love 89 Sticky Wicked Come Home Train If I Love u 2nite The Sex Of It Baby Go Go Eternity Neon Telephone ALL Day All Night The Screams of Passion Yo Mister I Guess I'm Crazy. [Edited 4/25/19 11:12am]

Stick "Sugar Walls" in there somewhere and that can get my money too! cool


Here's what bothers ME:

Prince died of an overdose of the drug Fentanyl. Of which, it is very highly fucking likely that he never even knew he'd taken.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #157 posted 04/25/19 1:21pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

PennyPurple said:

Can't wait!! Awesome news.

highfive

Here's what bothers ME:

Prince died of an overdose of the drug Fentanyl. Of which, it is very highly fucking likely that he never even knew he'd taken.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #158 posted 04/25/19 1:33pm

TheEnglishGent

avatar

ThirdStrike said:

Ok, I have a question. The press release states that the album will stream exclusively through TIDAL for the first 14 days. It also has language in that release that reads "In the Spirit of sharing Prince's music with his fans as he wanted, the album will be available to stream in Master quality via TIDAL'S HiFi subscription tier". Now, the "normal" subscription tier is "Premium" with a $9.99/month price point. The "HiFi" tier is priced at $19.99/month. That said, am I reading it right to say that the only option to stream for the first 14 days is to purchase (or upgrade to) the "HiFi" tier at the higher price point, or will I as an existing subscriber be able to stream under my current "Premier" tier?

Thoughts?


Thoughts? Do a free trial with a new email address.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #159 posted 04/25/19 1:36pm

ThirdStrike

avatar

TheEnglishGent said:

ThirdStrike said:

Ok, I have a question. The press release states that the album will stream exclusively through TIDAL for the first 14 days. It also has language in that release that reads "In the Spirit of sharing Prince's music with his fans as he wanted, the album will be available to stream in Master quality via TIDAL'S HiFi subscription tier". Now, the "normal" subscription tier is "Premium" with a $9.99/month price point. The "HiFi" tier is priced at $19.99/month. That said, am I reading it right to say that the only option to stream for the first 14 days is to purchase (or upgrade to) the "HiFi" tier at the higher price point, or will I as an existing subscriber be able to stream under my current "Premier" tier?

Thoughts?


Thoughts? Do a free trial with a new email address.

Don't think you can free trial the higher tier is the issue. I think the free trial is only for the lower "Premium" tier, although I could be wrong...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #160 posted 04/25/19 1:36pm

Romeoblu

HatrinaHaterwitz said:



Romeoblu said:


I already put together a volume 2. Telepathy 101 Love 89 Sticky Wicked Come Home Train If I Love u 2nite The Sex Of It Baby Go Go Eternity Neon Telephone ALL Day All Night The Screams of Passion Yo Mister I Guess I'm Crazy. [Edited 4/25/19 11:12am]

Stick "Sugar Walls" in there somewhere and that can get my money too! cool




I would if I had a Prince vocal version.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #161 posted 04/25/19 1:38pm

fabriziovenera
ndi

avatar

HatrinaHaterwitz said:

Romeoblu said:

I already put together a volume 2. Telepathy 101 Love 89 Sticky Wicked Come Home Train If I Love u 2nite The Sex Of It Baby Go Go Eternity Neon Telephone ALL Day All Night The Screams of Passion Yo Mister I Guess I'm Crazy. [Edited 4/25/19 11:12am]

Stick "Sugar Walls" in there somewhere and that can get my money too! cool

.

Don't forget I Hear Your Voice

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #162 posted 04/25/19 1:47pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

Vol. 2 I go "Violet Blue", "Mia Bocca", "Pride and the Passion" and "My Drawers" if we're talking 80s. "Murph Drag" would be way cool.

.

ThirdStrike said:

Ok, I have a question. The press release states that the album will stream exclusively through TIDAL for the first 14 days. It also has language in that release that reads "In the Spirit of sharing Prince's music with his fans as he wanted, the album will be available to stream in Master quality via TIDAL'S HiFi subscription tier". Now, the "normal" subscription tier is "Premium" with a $9.99/month price point. The "HiFi" tier is priced at $19.99/month. That said, am I reading it right to say that the only option to stream for the first 14 days is to purchase (or upgrade to) the "HiFi" tier at the higher price point, or will I as an existing subscriber be able to stream under my current "Premier" tier?

Thoughts?

I feel like press release wording usually would include something like "exclusively" before the word "available" if that were the case. Otherwise it's "available" in Tidal, Tidal HiFi, CD, vinyl, deluxe exclusive liner notes premium edition, etc.,, only the first 14-day part was emphasized. I could be wrong.

[Edited 4/25/19 13:51pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #163 posted 04/25/19 1:51pm

ladygirl99

Haha now just like I expected from the org. Bitch and complain about the littlest in every upcoming release. lol Been this way since the purple and black days.

But I am kidding. Its not what I expected but hey its another release add to the collection.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #164 posted 04/25/19 2:02pm

thedoorkeeper

Can't wait for this to be released! Never heard any of these songs as bootlegs so it's all new to my ears!
And only two months away!
Good times!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #165 posted 04/25/19 2:04pm

BartVanHemelen

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:

They're totally gearing up to run the same liner notes scam as last time. Nobody act surprised on release day.

.

Last time the liner notes thing was mentioned IN THE FIRST PRESS RELEASE.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #166 posted 04/25/19 2:05pm

Quicho1

I'm ok with getting decent quality versions of these songs, but as long as most are from the mid-80's, I would've tweaked the set list a bit. Add "All Day All Night", "G-Spot" and "Noon Rendezvous", plus the vocal version of "Feline" for starters. Not sure what I'd remove for this however.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #167 posted 04/25/19 2:11pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

I love the concept, but I’m just wondering why they chose these particular tracks? Most of us have listened to the bootleg versions and it would be nice listening to better quality ones, but I’d love to hear things I haven’t heard before. I’d love to hear the original versions of all The Time songs for example.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #168 posted 04/25/19 2:15pm

LenguaDePlata

Quicho1 said:

I'm ok with getting decent quality versions of these songs, but as long as most are from the mid-80's, I would've tweaked the set list a bit. Add "All Day All Night", "G-Spot" and "Noon Rendezvous", plus the vocal version of "Feline" for starters. Not sure what I'd remove for this however.

I have good news for you then - Noon Rendezvous is in it!
I would have killed for 777-9311. Maybe next time...
Life is just a party, and parties weren’t meant to last...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #169 posted 04/25/19 2:27pm

mikeyaddict

avatar

Have preordered the vinyl - £29 on Amazon, with is still steep for an LP (AOA and Plectrum £15 on Amazon at the moment). Until it arrives tho I’ll get the files somewhere and make my own CD - as I’m buying it anyway.
.
Woulda been nice to have Cool, and I would’ve preferred new material - hitnrun 3 / black is the new - but this is a really pleasing set to look forward to. It feels like we’re about to be cuddled.
.
Big loves purple family! Xoxox. Mikey
Comin str8 outta Preston...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #170 posted 04/25/19 2:36pm

WhisperingDand
elions

avatar

BartVanHemelen said:

WhisperingDandelions said:

They're totally gearing up to run the same liner notes scam as last time. Nobody act surprised on release day.

.

Last time the liner notes thing was mentioned IN THE FIRST PRESS RELEASE.

Hmmmmm. But are you sure?

.

I'm going to need a link for proper proof and verification, sir. And no, I have not heard of "Google".

.

What's the tracklist, again? I suppose we can thank the heirs for this release? Do you think $87 is a reasonable price to pay for The Chocolate Invasion on official CD?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #171 posted 04/25/19 2:59pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

WhisperingDandelions said:

Do you think $87 is a reasonable price to pay for The Chocolate Invasion on official CD?


There is no official CD for The Chocolate Invasion so there is no reasonable price to pay for one.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #172 posted 04/25/19 3:24pm

Neversin

avatar

This shitty release looks even worse than those garbage outtake compilation bootlegs from the 1990's...
Again these fucking idiots, now joined by a fucking clueless rapper, mock the fans by neglecting or even listen to those who have studied Prince for his entire career by releasing (just look at that fucking amateur job of a "cover"!) something Prince himself hated and was frustrated about...
Instead of releasing a proper set with his versions of songs he gave to "non-protege acts" (Madonna, Celine Dion, Patty Labelle etc.) as a one off thing they put songs on it that should be combined with a remaster of albums from protege acts...
Pathetic... And, again, The prince Estate showing they haven't even mastered the basics of "Prince 101"...

Neversin.
O(+>NIИ<+)O

“Is man merely a mistake of God's? Or God merely a mistake of man's?”

- Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #173 posted 04/25/19 4:02pm

lust

avatar

Neversin said:

This shitty release looks even worse than those garbage outtake compilation bootlegs from the 1990's...
Again these fucking idiots, now joined by a fucking clueless rapper, mock the fans by neglecting or even listen to those who have studied Prince for his entire career by releasing (just look at that fucking amateur job of a "cover"!) something Prince himself hated and was frustrated about...
Instead of releasing a proper set with his versions of songs he gave to "non-protege acts" (Madonna, Celine Dion, Patty Labelle etc.) as a one off thing they put songs on it that should be combined with a remaster of albums from protege acts...
Pathetic... And, again, The prince Estate showing they haven't even mastered the basics of "Prince 101"...

Neversin.


And yet lots of us are thrilled with the release so different strokes and all that! Doesn’t matter what they do, someone is always going to throw a tantrum and project their opinion as if speaking on behalf of “the true fans”
If the milk turns out to be sour, I aint the kinda pussy to drink it!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #174 posted 04/25/19 4:10pm

Sydney

Excited for this release - cant wait to hear a clear version of "Dear Michaelangelo" with Prince vocals!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #175 posted 04/25/19 4:30pm

soladeo1

Sydney said:

Excited for this release - cant wait to hear a clear version of "Dear Michaelangelo" with Prince vocals!



All Day, All Night would have taken this
release to the stratosphere!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #176 posted 04/25/19 4:44pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

I'm genuinely pleased that we are getting something 'new', and the 'Originals' concept is one that many of us have suggested.

However, there are a few things that disappoint:

1. Artwork. Marketing 101. If the content is not era specific, don't make the cover art era specific. Prince had more photoshoots than most of us have had hot dinners, so a generic/mid era picture would have been far more fitting that something that looks like it should be the cover for Dirty Mind Deluxe; photo and font.

2. Track choices. It would be impossible to please everyone, but it looks like Troy and Jay Z have viewed this from a casual fan point of view. Not a legact project. Sure it's aimed to shift sales, but it comes across eratic. I agree with those that say some of these would be better held for protege projects or remasters. There is no branding to the choices.

3. Sales gouging - The 3x vinyl colours and edition variants. Nothing but exploitation. It symbolises everything that is wrong with record labels enagement with fans. Their actions have actually caused me to sell my collection rather than grow it. I'm not going to even bother to try and 'keep up'. I'm simply going to buy the CD. If they try to start the next level gouging, with single track exclusives on some releases, I'll turn to dowloading from other sources.

But there are many pluses. I'd pay the cover price alone for Prince's studio version on Noon.

I do hope they carry this through as a project, with Vol 2,3 etc, because I need Time Waits 4 No One, Open Book, So Strong, Blue Limousine, Come Home, 101, Love's No Fun, If I could get Your Attention, Neon Telephone, etc etc.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #177 posted 04/25/19 5:14pm

Ugot2shakesumt
hin

avatar

SquirrelMeat said:

I'm genuinely pleased that we are getting something 'new', and the 'Originals' concept is one that many of us have suggested.

However, there are a few things that disappoint:



1. Artwork. Marketing 101. If the content is not era specific, don't make the cover art era specific. Prince had more photoshoots than most of us have had hot dinners, so a generic/mid era picture would have been far more fitting that something that looks like it should be the cover for Dirty Mind Deluxe; photo and font.

2. Track choices. It would be impossible to please everyone, but it looks like Troy and Jay Z have viewed this from a casual fan point of view. Not a legact project. Sure it's aimed to shift sales, but it comes across eratic. I agree with those that say some of these would be better held for protege projects or remasters. There is no branding to the choices.

3. Sales gouging - The 3x vinyl colours and edition variants. Nothing but exploitation. It symbolises everything that is wrong with record labels enagement with fans. Their actions have actually caused me to sell my collection rather than grow it. I'm not going to even bother to try and 'keep up'. I'm simply going to buy the CD. If they try to start the next level gouging, with single track exclusives on some releases, I'll turn to dowloading from other sources.

But there are many pluses. I'd pay the cover price alone for Prince's studio version on Noon.

I do hope they carry this through as a project, with Vol 2,3 etc, because I need Time Waits 4 No One, Open Book, So Strong, Blue Limousine, Come Home, 101, Love's No Fun, If I could get Your Attention, Neon Telephone, etc etc.



I agree with most of your post except for the gouging part. These are collectibles aimed at hardcore fans and the collector market. Whether it’s different colors and models of Purple Rain shirts or posters or whatever it’s all the same. I won’t put a value on what someone wants to spend their money on. It’s aimed to please collectors more than listeners. Most of us have listened to most of these tracks already anyway.
I say cool, offer the fans as much product as they think they can sell.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #178 posted 04/25/19 6:08pm

Lovejunky

avatar


Song Title First Released by (Artist: Album – year) Year of Prince’s Recording Included on Originals

1. Sex Shooter Apollonia 6: Apollonia 6 – 1984 1983

2. Jungle Love The Time: Ice Cream Castle – 1984 1983

3. Manic Monday The Bangles: Different Light – 1985 1984

4. Noon Rendezvous Sheila E.: The Glamorous Life – 1984 1984

5. Make-Up Vanity 6: Vanity 6 – 1982 1981

6. 100 MPH Mazarati: Mazarati – 1986 1984

7. You’re My Love Kenny Rogers: They Don’t Make Them Like They Used To – 1986 1982

8. Holly Rock Sheila E.: Krush Groove (OST) – 1985 1985

9. Baby, You’re a Trip Jill Jones: Jill Jones – 1987 1982

10. The Glamorous Life Sheila E.: The Glamorous Life – 1984 1983

11. Gigolos Get Lonely Too The Time: What Time Is It? – 1982 1982

12. Love… Thy Will Be Done Martika: Martika’s Kitchen – 1991 1991

13. Dear Michaelangelo Sheila E.: Romance 1600 – 1985 1985

14. Wouldn’t You Love to Love Me? Taja Sevelle: Taja Sevelle – 1987 1981

15. Nothing Compares 2 U The Family: The Family – 1985 1984


58419189_686098058488707_360440206164439


***************

Wish they included 101 and Come Home and 5 Women

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #179 posted 04/25/19 6:20pm

FragileUnderto
w

avatar

Lovejunky said:

Wish they included 5 Women


This is on The Vault :Old friends for sale album. Unless you mean an alternate version
Cant believe my purple psychedelic pimp slap pimp2

And I descend from grace, In arms of undertow
I will take my place, In the great below
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 6 of 32 « First<2345678910>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince Estate to Release ‘Originals’ Album: His Versions of Songs He Gave to Other Artists (EXCLUSIVE)