independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 19th Sep 2019 1:37am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 2nd anniversary reactions
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/12/18 2:59pm

gandorb

2nd anniversary reactions

I remember that last April I felt a lot of grief about Prince. I was looking for ways to connect with others who could get my grief it due to their own appreciation of Prince. At the time, I was still engaging in the habit that I had developed after his death: Playing about one Prince CD a day for the entire year. This past Fall, I started feeling less preoccupied with Prince's death though I will always love his music. I started playing only 1 or 2 Prince CDs a week intermixed with all sorts of other music. As this April approached, I didn't notice any upsurge in my consciousness about Prince other than being aware of the upcoming anniversary of his death. However, this past week I have felt more drawn to Prince music again and have played it every day. Today I even had the urge to play disc 3 of the PR Deluxe set, which I never have done since hearing it one time and then culling a few songs off of it for a Prince play-list. This go around I was really getting into it. Hearing Let's Go Crazy single edit followed by Let's Go Crazy dance mix seemed fresh rather than redundant. All is good with Prince music. Reminiscent of last year, I feel a bit isolated in my reactions and grief. So, I was curious to see what others had to say about their own reactions to the upcoming 2nd anniversary of Prince's death.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/12/18 3:01pm

luvsexy4all

..and still no releases (or even news about) to coincide.....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/12/18 3:55pm

Mumio

avatar

The grief is still there. I've just learned to hide it better.

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/12/18 4:24pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

I've been drawing a LOT of Prince inspired pieces since then. Showing my appreciation for his journey and the culture of purple music he inspired.
.
I get really frustrated when I hear people still talking about Prince being murdered or that he is still alive(faked his death). Makes me really bored2

.

Having more music soothes the pain, but having more music also reminds me of the pain.
Being able to add 17 Days extended, Wednesday etc to my playlists is wonderfully painful.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/12/18 4:36pm

gandorb

OldFriends4Sale said:


I've been drawing a LOT of Prince inspired pieces since then. Showing my appreciation for his journey and the culture of purple music he inspired.
.
I get really frustrated when I hear people still talking about Prince being murdered or that he is still alive(faked his death). Makes me really bored2


.


Having more music soothes the pain, but having more music also reminds me of the pain.
Being able to add 17 Days extended, Wednesday etc to my playlists is wonderfully painful.





Hope you share some of your drawings here some day.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/12/18 5:03pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

gandorb said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I've been drawing a LOT of Prince inspired pieces since then. Showing my appreciation for his journey and the culture of purple music he inspired.
.
I get really frustrated when I hear people still talking about Prince being murdered or that he is still alive(faked his death). Makes me really bored2

.

Having more music soothes the pain, but having more music also reminds me of the pain.
Being able to add 17 Days extended, Wednesday etc to my playlists is wonderfully painful.

Hope you share some of your drawings here some day.

Thanks, I will. I have posted some in the Artist forum.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/12/18 5:26pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Stop ritualizing his death and celebrate his life, legacy, and music - that's my reaction.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/12/18 5:58pm

gandorb

TrivialPursuit said:

Stop ritualizing his death and celebrate his life, legacy, and music - that's my reaction.

Yes, we all deal with death differently. Interesting reaction given that in my post I never suggested that my reaction was planned or ritualized. Instead, my feelings and actions somewhat surprised me when they arose quite organically and unexpectedly. That said, I do feel a need to express my belief that people are way out of bounds when they judge someone else's feelings of grief or any other feelings for that matter. Feelings come and go and we all have them. As far as rituals, I have not been real involved with them but I do think they often help people. They are inherent part of our species.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/12/18 6:30pm

missingprn

Nice posts gandorb. I feel like it’s been more than two years. I listen to his music a lot. Sometimes I celebrate it and think what a great life he had and it makes me smile. Other times I’m deeply sad that he’s gone and we’re not going to see him or hear any more of his genius. (I think I’ll be with Prince by the time anything gets released from the vault sad)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/12/18 7:07pm

gandorb

missingprn said:

Nice posts gandorb. I feel like it’s been more than two years. I listen to his music a lot. Sometimes I celebrate it and think what a great life he had and it makes me smile. Other times I’m deeply sad that he’s gone and we’re not going to see him or hear any more of his genius. (I think I’ll be with Prince by the time anything gets released from the vault sad)

Thanks. I think you well illustrate how reactions can include all emotions, including our MUTUAL fear that we will never see the vault releases in this lifetime.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/12/18 7:39pm

RJOrion

TrivialPursuit said:

Stop ritualizing his death and celebrate his life, legacy, and music - that's my reaction.

^THIS!...i dont understand the desire for people to celeberate the date of someone's death...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/12/18 9:33pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

gandorb said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Stop ritualizing his death and celebrate his life, legacy, and music - that's my reaction.

Yes, we all deal with death differently...


And don't get me wrong. I grieve his absence, greatly. But it's about perspective and balance. When 'fans' get overdramatic with "crying still, can't talk, no words", I'm like "really, you just typed six words. Anything else you can't say?" lol No one loved Prince more than fans on the Org probably, although there are hardcore fans not on the Org. I get it.

I guess I'd rather not remember when he passed as much as I want to remember him through his music every day. It's like getting your lover flowers on Valentine's day. Try getting them something on May 7th, or August 11th, or November 22nd. Love is a verb that can be exercised at any time. That's all.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/12/18 9:40pm

gandorb

RJOrion said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Stop ritualizing his death and celebrate his life, legacy, and music - that's my reaction.

^THIS!...i dont understand the desire for people to celeberate the date of someone's death...

Celebrate is your interpretation of anniversary reactions. Anniversary reactions are normal and universal, even if you don't happen to be have one about Prince. They come up for people whether they like it or not. It's not like people decide that they are or aren't going to have one. It just happens. I get the opinion of people who don't want to talk about anniverary reactions but I don't get the judgement towards people who are having them. disbelief

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/12/18 11:56pm

milesb

I think of Prince on June 7th.

My password is what
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/13/18 1:23am

Ramzoo

avatar

milesb said:

I think of Prince on June 7th.

There's no one single day without thinking about Prince. I listen to him everyday: his huge catalogue allows us to enjoy different stuff.

I'll always cherish him till my last day on earth...

My first video was "When Doves Cry" in the summer of 1984.

My first concert was on Monday August 25 th 1986 and was the beginning of lots of gigs.

My last concert was on Sunday June 1st 2014 (both at the same venue).

He was on top of his career, I would say between 82-86...

Beginning of May, I'lm flying to Minneapolis for the third time....To sum up: he's my life, my drug.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/13/18 8:43am

Poplife88

avatar

I listen to him constantly still...my reaction to the 2nd anniversary is sad the he is no longer with us making new music and won't be able to see him in concert. But always glad for what he left us and that keeps me happy.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/13/18 9:27am

DarkKnight1

avatar

I went last year. It was very needed and cathartic....as im sure was the case for everyone there. Not going this year. Its pretty costly with hotel, travel, etc... It will still be difficult for many, but the celebratory nature will increase with each year. I will be back next year for sure.

I do wish I had access to all of the exclusive merch though...other than through inflated 2nd hand sellers after the event.

(Insert something clever here)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/13/18 9:36am

Genesia

avatar

gandorb said:

RJOrion said:

^THIS!...i dont understand the desire for people to celeberate the date of someone's death...

Celebrate is your interpretation of anniversary reactions. Anniversary reactions are normal and universal, even if you don't happen to be have one about Prince. They come up for people whether they like it or not. It's not like people decide that they are or aren't going to have one. It just happens. I get the opinion of people who don't want to talk about anniverary reactions but I don't get the judgement towards people who are having them. disbelief


Ummmm...you do realize that they are having a Celebration in Minneapolis next week to coincide with the anniversary of Prince's death...right? And the fact that it's the second one means that this is becoming ritualized.

That's what TrivialPursuit and RJOrion are talking about.

Frankly, you're in first class on the judgy train at the moment.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/13/18 9:46am

rogifan

Here in Minnesota we’re due to get 11 inches of snow this weekend. Makes me think of Prince and makes me sad. In a recent interview Kim Berry said even though Prince didn’t celebrate Christmas he always wanted to be at Paisly around that time because he loved the snow. sad
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/13/18 9:58am

littlemissG

avatar

Acceptance and joy. Life is a party not meant to last.
No More Haters on the Internet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/13/18 10:23am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

I've been drawing a LOT of Prince inspired pieces since then. Showing my appreciation for his journey and the culture of purple music he inspired.
.
I get really frustrated when I hear people still talking about Prince being murdered or that he is still alive(faked his death). Makes me really bored2

.

Having more music soothes the pain, but having more music also reminds me of the pain.
Being able to add 17 Days extended, Wednesday etc to my playlists is wonderfully painful.

Unfortunately, this seems like a rite of passage when a famous artist tragically passes away...

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/13/18 10:25am

luvsexy4all

just think of the people who werent there/here and never understood what we feel..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/13/18 10:33am

gandorb

Genesia said:



gandorb said:




RJOrion said:





^THIS!...i dont understand the desire for people to celeberate the date of someone's death...




Celebrate is your interpretation of anniversary reactions. Anniversary reactions are normal and universal, even if you don't happen to be have one about Prince. They come up for people whether they like it or not. It's not like people decide that they are or aren't going to have one. It just happens. I get the opinion of people who don't want to talk about anniverary reactions but I don't get the judgement towards people who are having them. disbelief




Ummmm...you do realize that they are having a Celebration in Minneapolis next week to coincide with the anniversary of Prince's death...right? And the fact that it's the second one means that this is becoming ritualized.

That's what TrivialPursuit and RJOrion are talking about.

Frankly, you're in first class on the judgy train at the moment.



Fair enough. I did find myself being more reactive than usual in trying to keep this thread a safe place for people to share possible grief reactions, which is a vulnerable thing. Can I at least get placed into coach class now wink g
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/13/18 10:48am

jmfd

I agree with many, in that I'd rather be celebrating and remembering him in June as opposed to April, when he died.
It would be nice if the estate would eventually move the festivities in future years to the first week in June.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/13/18 10:57am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

jmfd said:

I agree with many, in that I'd rather be celebrating and remembering him in June as opposed to April, when he died.
It would be nice if the estate would eventually move the festivities in future years to the first week in June.

That would solve the snow problem, too... razz

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/13/18 10:58am

littlemissG

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:



jmfd said:


I agree with many, in that I'd rather be celebrating and remembering him in June as opposed to April, when he died.
It would be nice if the estate would eventually move the festivities in future years to the first week in June.



That would solve the snow problem, too... razz


Valid point about the weather.
No More Haters on the Internet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/13/18 11:54am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Mumio said:

The grief is still there. I've just learned to hide it better.


yeahthat

music Empty Room

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/13/18 1:13pm

Mumio

avatar

luv4u said:

Mumio said:

The grief is still there. I've just learned to hide it better.


yeahthat

music Empty Room

Omg, yessssss. hug

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/13/18 5:34pm

ThePersian

I try very hard not to think about it too much. There is just too much wrong with the whole thing to process. It is too tragic for words. Only sounds. And the only who could make those sounds was Prince.
Most of the time I just try to enjoy the music but then ... it just catches me, certain songs, certain segments, certain thoughts... that connect to me like very little has done in almost half century so far and then it’s just irreconcilable loss...
Prince was home.
And home is no more.
The Earth is but one country and mankind its citizens.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/13/18 6:13pm

0uterageous

I can't stand treating 4/21 as a cautionary tale, it's just not that simple to acknowledge :fit:

There are days when I miss looking forward to brand new music, touring, hearing his voice , his inputs on current events, his involvement on projects and so much more.....
It hurts to think how we continue to drift further away from the timeline when he was here with us

The hopeless dreamer in me wishes he never departed
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 2nd anniversary reactions