independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 17th Oct 2019 4:35pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 1999/Vanity6/WhatTimeIsIt Superalbum?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/26/18 10:52pm

paraded

1999/Vanity6/WhatTimeIsIt Superalbum?

Let's pretend...

What if Prince’s 1982 efforts had all been geared towards a Graffiti-Bridge style album including tracks from 1999 and those from the albums Vanity 6 and the Time’s What Time Is It, sequenced together as a double album? I know that Graffiti Bridge was done the way it was because it was a soundtrack, but it’s very intriguing to consider the concept of a unified album of Prince and his associates of the time. If you had to combine 1999, Vanity 6, and What Time Is It and cherry pick the best tracks to become a double album (or single CD), what would that look like?

(By the way, these are all great albums on their own -- it's not to criticize any of them. It’s just for the hell of imagining it, and maybe for something fun to drive to in the future!)

[Edited 2/27/18 13:50pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/26/18 11:28pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/27/18 12:55am

PurplePartyFix

Seems like a fun idea to me. Here's my quickly built version:

1999

Little Red Corvette

The Walk

Delirious

Nasty Girl

Let's Pretend We're Married

Wild & Loose

DMSR

Drive Me Wild

Lady Cab Driver

All the Critics Love U in New York

International Lover

777-9311

Listened to it once through and it flowed great to me. That's the beauty of playlists!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/27/18 7:44am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

paraded said:

Let's pretend...

What if Prince’s 1982 efforts had all been geared towards a Graffiti-Bridge style album including tracks from 1999 and those from the albums Vanity 6 and the Time’s What Time Is It, sequenced together as a double album? I know that Graffiti Bridge was done the way it was because it was a soundtrack, but it’s very intriguing to consider the concept of a unified album of Prince and his associates of the time. If you had to combine 1999, Vanity 6, and What Time Is It and cherry pick the best tracks to become a double album (or single CD), what would that look like?

(By the way, these are all three great albums on their own -- it's not to criticize any of them. It’s just for the hell of imagining it, and maybe for something fun to drive to in the future!)

I usually do this with each album era. I think they tell a story if placed right.

I mix in the songs/album from each period with the Prince album

I'm going to try to put together one I've done with the 1999 period

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/27/18 8:16am

thedance

avatar

nuts

no no no! leave the 1999 album alone.. it's a God damn masterpiece....!

thats a "superalbum" already, and the 2 others are amazing as well.....


Prince in 1982 = music

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/27/18 8:51am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

a combo of what we have to work with

.....................................................

1999

Little Red Corvette(remix)

Delirious

Let's Pretend We're Married

All The Critics Love U in New York

Free

Lady Cab Driver

International Lover

DMSR
Automatic

Something In the Water(Does Not Compute)

.

Nasty Girl

Make Up
Drive Me Wild(extended)

Wet Dream

He's So Dull
If A Girl Answers
Bite The Beat

.

Wild n Loose

777-9311

OneDayI'mGonnaBeSomebody

Gigolos Get Lonely Too

The Walk

I Don't Want 2 Leave U

.

How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore

Horny Toad

Irresistable Bitch

.

Moonbeam Levels

Do Yourself a Favour

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/27/18 10:12am

databank

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:


a combo of what we have to work with


.....


1999


Little Red Corvette(remix)


Delirious


Let's Pretend We're Married


All The Critics Love U in New York


Free


Lady Cab Driver


International Lover


DMSR
Automatic


Something In the Water(Does Not Compute)


.


Nasty Girl


Make Up
Drive Me Wild(extended)


Wet Dream


He's So Dull
If A Girl Answers
Bite The Beat



.


Wild n Loose


777-9311


OneDayI'mGonnaBeSomebody


Gigolos Get Lonely Too


The Walk


I Don't Want 2 Leave U


.


How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore


Horny Toad


Irresistable Bitch


.


Moonbeam Levels


Do Yourself a Favour




Don't forget Grace!
Irresistible Bitch is from 1983 so no. It's PR era material already.
Why the unreleased Do Yourself A Favor?
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/27/18 10:13am

databank

avatar

PurplePartyFix said:

Seems like a fun idea to me. Here's my quickly built version:



1999


Little Red Corvette


The Walk


Delirious


Nasty Girl


Let's Pretend We're Married


Wild & Loose


DMSR


Drive Me Wild


Lady Cab Driver


All the Critics Love U in New York


International Lover


777-9311



Listened to it once through and it flowed great to me. That's the beauty of playlists!


You need a stronger closer track.
A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/27/18 10:48am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

databank said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

a combo of what we have to work with

.....................................................

1999

Little Red Corvette(remix)

Delirious

Let's Pretend We're Married

All The Critics Love U in New York

Free

Lady Cab Driver

International Lover

DMSR
Automatic

Something In the Water(Does Not Compute)

.

Nasty Girl

Make Up
Drive Me Wild(extended)

Wet Dream

He's So Dull
If A Girl Answers
Bite The Beat

.

Wild n Loose

777-9311

OneDayI'mGonnaBeSomebody

Gigolos Get Lonely Too

The Walk

I Don't Want 2 Leave U

.

How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore

Horny Toad

Irresistable Bitch

.

Moonbeam Levels

Do Yourself a Favour

Don't forget Grace! Irresistible Bitch is from 1983 so no. It's PR era material already. Why the unreleased Do Yourself A Favor?

Grace, I don't know how I'm going to work that one in, so I didn't add it.

.

I put Irresistible Bitch there because it is a 1999 album track Bside.
I was going to say that one is a bridge, and could be used for both album eras

.

Just because he recorded it in 1982

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/27/18 12:24pm

Adorecream

databank said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

a combo of what we have to work with

.....................................................

1999

Little Red Corvette(remix)

Delirious

Let's Pretend We're Married

All The Critics Love U in New York

Free

Lady Cab Driver

International Lover

DMSR
Automatic

Something In the Water(Does Not Compute)

.

Nasty Girl

Make Up
Drive Me Wild(extended)

Wet Dream

He's So Dull
If A Girl Answers
Bite The Beat

.

Wild n Loose

777-9311

OneDayI'mGonnaBeSomebody

Gigolos Get Lonely Too

The Walk

I Don't Want 2 Leave U

.

How Come U Don't Call Me Anymore

Horny Toad

Irresistable Bitch

.

Moonbeam Levels

Do Yourself a Favour

Don't forget Grace! Irresistible Bitch is from 1983 so no. It's PR era material already. Why the unreleased Do Yourself A Favor?

Actually Irresistable bitch dates from late 1981. The first Controversy style version was taped in late 1981 with Feel U up, both have Falsetto and early Linn sound along with what sounds like a 1970s Bontempi organ.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/27/18 1:44pm

paraded

PurplePartyFix said:

Seems like a fun idea to me. Here's my quickly built version:

1999

Little Red Corvette

The Walk

Delirious

Nasty Girl

Let's Pretend We're Married

Wild & Loose

DMSR

Drive Me Wild

Lady Cab Driver

All the Critics Love U in New York

International Lover

777-9311

Listened to it once through and it flowed great to me. That's the beauty of playlists!

I like this version a lot -- espeically putting "Drive Me Wild" after "DMSR" after "Wild and Loose" in the middle. I'm going to burn it.

As I work on mine, for some reason I'm fixating on the sonic similarities between "Make Up" and "All the Critics..." It's almost like they could be made into a continuous track.

Also the "water on the brain" and "water upstairs" lines in "Nasty Girl" paralleling "Something in the Water" (I'm probably reading into things too much).

Am really curious what everyone comes up with. Such an amazingly fertile period for Prince.

[Edited 2/27/18 14:13pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/27/18 2:34pm

Genesia

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:


yes

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/27/18 2:46pm

luvsexy4all

these threads ....i need an advil

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/27/18 3:26pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

these threads ....i need an advil





Be careful. One is a Mike & Ike's, one is an Advil PM.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/27/18 4:01pm

EnDoRpHn

paraded said:

Let's pretend...

What if Prince’s 1982 efforts had all been geared towards a Graffiti-Bridge style album including tracks from 1999 and those from the albums Vanity 6 and the Time’s What Time Is It, sequenced together as a double album? I know that Graffiti Bridge was done the way it was because it was a soundtrack, but it’s very intriguing to consider the concept of a unified album of Prince and his associates of the time. If you had to combine 1999, Vanity 6, and What Time Is It and cherry pick the best tracks to become a double album (or single CD), what would that look like?

(By the way, these are all great albums on their own -- it's not to criticize any of them. It’s just for the hell of imagining it, and maybe for something fun to drive to in the future!)

[Edited 2/27/18 13:50pm]

You do realize 1999 was a double album, yes?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/27/18 4:07pm

paraded

EnDoRpHn said:

paraded said:

Let's pretend...

What if Prince’s 1982 efforts had all been geared towards a Graffiti-Bridge style album including tracks from 1999 and those from the albums Vanity 6 and the Time’s What Time Is It, sequenced together as a double album? I know that Graffiti Bridge was done the way it was because it was a soundtrack, but it’s very intriguing to consider the concept of a unified album of Prince and his associates of the time. If you had to combine 1999, Vanity 6, and What Time Is It and cherry pick the best tracks to become a double album (or single CD), what would that look like?

(By the way, these are all great albums on their own -- it's not to criticize any of them. It’s just for the hell of imagining it, and maybe for something fun to drive to in the future!)

[Edited 2/27/18 13:50pm]

You do realize 1999 was a double album, yes?

Yep, the vinyl is right here on my shelf.

Sorry if this thread is tiresome for some. When you've listened to his albums a million times, sometimes it's the unusual connections people make between tracks on different records and the order in which they are placed that lights the fire all over again. That was my intention.

[Edited 2/27/18 16:10pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/27/18 4:11pm

controversy99

avatar

A double album made up of all the tracks from What Time Is It? and Vanity 6 is an interesting idea and leave 1999 as the amazing double that it is. As you can tell from my account name, I like 1999 a lot! No way that I would want any of those tracks replaced by a Protege track.
"Love & honesty, peace & harmony"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/27/18 4:54pm

paraded

controversy99 said:

A double album made up of all the tracks from What Time Is It? and Vanity 6 is an interesting idea and leave 1999 as the amazing double that it is. As you can tell from my account name, I like 1999 a lot! No way that I would want any of those tracks replaced by a Protege track.

That would be interseting too. I should have clarified that 1999 is, to me, one of his greatest masterpieces. I'm not proposing that some of its tracks be deleted because they don't fit or are anything but great. It's just a fun way to reimagine the sonic and thematic overlaps on these three amazing records. The thought came to me listening to DMSR, when he says "Vanity 6 is so sweet" and "Time to fix your clock." It's almost as if Prince and his associates are all singing the chorus together!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/27/18 8:58pm

blackwell1

paraded said:

controversy99 said:

A double album made up of all the tracks from What Time Is It? and Vanity 6 is an interesting idea and leave 1999 as the amazing double that it is. As you can tell from my account name, I like 1999 a lot! No way that I would want any of those tracks replaced by a Protege track.

That would be interseting too. I should have clarified that 1999 is, to me, one of his greatest masterpieces. I'm not proposing that some of its tracks be deleted because they don't fit or are anything but great. It's just a fun way to reimagine the sonic and thematic overlaps on these three amazing records. The thought came to me listening to DMSR, when he says "Vanity 6 is so sweet" and "Time to fix your clock." It's almost as if Prince and his associates are all singing the chorus together!

I like this idea. Sounds like a fun exercise to me. If I can get my music program to work right (ugh!), I'll try some of these examples and maybe offer one of my own.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 1999/Vanity6/WhatTimeIsIt Superalbum?