independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 14th Dec 2019 4:40pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Your thoughts on the song "Jam Of The Year"?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/21/18 5:33am

MattyJam

avatar

Your thoughts on the song "Jam Of The Year"?

I never really used to rate this, but have been listening to it a bit more lately and it has grown on me. It's a bit looser sounding than a lot of the songs on the album and I really like the fleshed-out jamming in the last half of the track.

Thougts?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/21/18 10:38am

soladeo1

Frankly underwhelming. Song just doesn’t soar like his other upbeat anthems
like Uptown, Controversy, 1999, Lets Go Crazy, etc.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/21/18 11:12am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Pretty basic horn jam. I like it but no big love. Billy Jack Bitch it aint.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/21/18 11:13am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

Sleep Around, now that's the jam.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/21/18 11:19am

dodger

Prefer the live versions sung in his lower register rather than falsetto. Same with Get Yo Groove On. They both sounded great on the Emancipation release concert.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/21/18 1:19pm

dance4me3121

Mightve been a really good song if it was edited down for time a little bit and without Rosie Gaines

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/21/18 1:22pm

SoulAlive

it's a mediocre song.....not terrible,but not really interesting either.I was surprised that Prince chose this song to open the album with.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/21/18 1:31pm

thedance

avatar

I love this song - but when played live

Not his best song opener - on the album, true..

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/21/18 1:40pm

rdhull

avatar

It wasn’t
c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/21/18 2:00pm

MIRvmn

avatar

I like this song smile
We are living in Orwell's 1984
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/21/18 2:07pm

thedance

avatar

this song was played live (maybe combined with the NPS song Push It Up)

wasn't it... question

Sorry if I am remeber this wrong.. played then.. back in 1997/98?

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/21/18 4:39pm

spacedolphin

avatar

"It really isn't"

music I'm afraid of Americans. I'm afraid of the world. music
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/21/18 6:02pm

IstenSzek

avatar

rdhull said:

It wasn’t


lol


rosie really gets on my nerves on this one. i like parts of the song but as the opening track
to this 3 disc album, it immediately made me check my expectations at the door. my heart
started sinking as soon as it was halfway through. i've grown to like it though. but still, the
rosie growling is too much already lol


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/22/18 9:30am

Wlcm2thdwn3

avatar

I like it.

How long do u wanna be loved? Is forever enough, is forever enough?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/22/18 9:33am

gandorb

IstenSzek said:



rdhull said:


It wasn’t


lol


rosie really gets on my nerves on this one. i like parts of the song but as the opening track
to this 3 disc album, it immediately made me check my expectations at the door. my heart
started sinking as soon as it was halfway through. i've grown to like it though. but still, the
rosie growling is too much already lol




Rosie in full bloom lol .
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/22/18 9:36am

stpaisios

i like snippet of that song in BMW Z3 - in the beginning of the video for 'Betcha by Golly Wow!', sounds bad ass there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/22/18 10:52am

SchlomoThaHomo

avatar

I remember being sort of shocked after finally hearing it. When the tracklist leaked in the Prince Family Newsletter, I was expecting it to be this huge, upbeat funk anthem to kick the album off. And then I heard it and it's this sort of midtempo, smooth jazz track. Not really in your face, as we'd come to expect from Prince, and at times politely funky, but pretty ordinary.

I was sort of expecting Get Yo Groove On to be another funk jam, and obviously that wasn't the case either. So I suppose expectations clouded my initial reception. But in retrospect, it was really just Prince defying our expectations yet again, for better or worse.

I do like the song, and as with nearly every song/album, there is something to enjoy within it, because it came from Prince, whom we love.

"That's when stars collide. When there's space for what u want, and ur heart is open wide."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/22/18 11:20am

jdcxc

Love the slinky bassline and it killed as the tour opener.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/22/18 11:58am

robertgeorge

I agree that the song was a poor lead into the album he was born to make. The title was only going to cause problems, and it just may be that the artificial constraint of sixty minutes per album (pyramid stuff x 3) made some grooves longer than needed.

I didn't mind the song. Rosie Gaines vocals sound like generic samples or warm-up exercises rather than really enhancing the song. The biggest let-down since soulpsychedelicide. It actually reminds me of how I felt with the Gold Standard which is a song that annoys me. For me F.U.N.K is a hundred times better than all of the songs mentioned.

Some nice flute, a good bridge here there, but really Prince? Compare to Let's Go Crazy, 1999, Sign O the times. It sets up the album, as trailing from the beginning to aspire to be a classic album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/22/18 1:47pm

42Kristen

I love I Wanna Be Ur Lover. Eventhough it's a short song. But the long musical instruments playing. Keeps U dancing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/22/18 1:51pm

luvsexy4all

i always thougth of this as a curtis sound

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/22/18 1:56pm

NorthC

thedance said:

this song was played live (maybe combined with the NPS song Push It Up)

wasn't it... question

Sorry if I am remeber this wrong.. played then.. back in 1997/98?


Oh yes, it sure was. It was the opener of his concerts in those years and as you say, played together with Push It Up later.
I like the song as an opener to both the album and the shows. Love the bassline.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/22/18 3:49pm

IstenSzek

avatar

SchlomoThaHomo said:

I remember being sort of shocked after finally hearing it. When the tracklist leaked in the Prince Family Newsletter, I was expecting it to be this huge, upbeat funk anthem to kick the album off. And then I heard it and it's this sort of midtempo, smooth jazz track. Not really in your face, as we'd come to expect from Prince, and at times politely funky, but pretty ordinary.

I was sort of expecting Get Yo Groove On to be another funk jam, and obviously that wasn't the case either. So I suppose expectations clouded my initial reception. But in retrospect, it was really just Prince defying our expectations yet again, for better or worse.

I do like the song, and as with nearly every song/album, there is something to enjoy within it, because it came from Prince, whom we love.


now there's one that i DID warm up to. i enjoy the heck out of that song
and it's long extended portion. dancing jig



and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/22/18 3:50pm

IstenSzek

avatar

robertgeorge said:

I agree that the song was a poor lead into the album he was born to make. The title was only going to cause problems, and it just may be that the artificial constraint of sixty minutes per album (pyramid stuff x 3) made some grooves longer than needed.

I didn't mind the song. Rosie Gaines vocals sound like generic samples or warm-up exercises rather than really enhancing the song. The biggest let-down since soulpsychedelicide. It actually reminds me of how I felt with the Gold Standard which is a song that annoys me. For me F.U.N.K is a hundred times better than all of the songs mentioned.

Some nice flute, a good bridge here there, but really Prince? Compare to Let's Go Crazy, 1999, Sign O the times. It sets up the album, as trailing from the beginning to aspire to be a classic album.


ah indeed, now that is a nice bit in the song. i love it when the flute pops up in a prince song.


and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/22/18 5:41pm

robertgeorge

IstenSzek said:

SchlomoThaHomo said:

I remember being sort of shocked after finally hearing it. When the tracklist leaked in the Prince Family Newsletter, I was expecting it to be this huge, upbeat funk anthem to kick the album off. And then I heard it and it's this sort of midtempo, smooth jazz track. Not really in your face, as we'd come to expect from Prince, and at times politely funky, but pretty ordinary.

I was sort of expecting Get Yo Groove On to be another funk jam, and obviously that wasn't the case either. So I suppose expectations clouded my initial reception. But in retrospect, it was really just Prince defying our expectations yet again, for better or worse.

I do like the song, and as with nearly every song/album, there is something to enjoy within it, because it came from Prince, whom we love.


now there's one that i DID warm up to. i enjoy the heck out of that song
and it's long extended portion. dancing jig




Get Yo Groove On, is throwaway but it is a nice piece of work. The groove is slinky when it kicks in on the extended part, and the "even Stevie Wonder" can see is fun.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/22/18 8:22pm

bonatoc

avatar

IstenSzek said:

rdhull said:

It wasn’t


lol


rosie really gets on my nerves on this one. i like parts of the song but as the opening track
to this 3 disc album, it immediately made me check my expectations at the door. my heart
started sinking as soon as it was halfway through. i've grown to like it though. but still, the
rosie growling is too much already lol



Exactly. I just can't stand her on this one, and I love almost everything Rosie does.

A good half of Emancipation's disc 1 is kind of depressing.
But remember, this was the aftermath of the WB debacle.

The "album I was born to make" statement, the triple set, like getting back at Burbank for Dream Factory.Crystal Ball.Sign 'O' The Times, it really does look like Prince trying to figure out where to go next, or what to do with all this "freedom". Prince doing covers on one of his albums, for crying out loud. And don't start me with the "Holy River" video, which is the most grotesque clip he's ever done. Whereas the song is a fantastic Springsteenian effort, and a welcomed return to introspection. Thank God for "Top Of The Pops" for getting things straight. It's hard to believe the same album gave us the "Face Down" video, one of his best, surely the funniest — and no one got to see it.

Still, I don't mind the album production, the overdubs are simply fantastic, there is very good musicianship to be found even in the lesser tracks, and sheer genius on the best ones. I can't blame him for feeling low, after having being forced to slice and butcher yet another grandiose 3-set disc (The Dawn).

Some days, when I'm in the right mindset, the album is really enjoyable, start to finish.
But I confess, after three minutes in, I'm always eager for "Right Back Here In My Arms" to come up.
"Ow-howw, oww-oww-a-how-a-ow"... Ow Lawd.



[Edited 1/22/18 20:35pm]

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/22/18 8:24pm

macaylasdad

fart that's what I think of it....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 01/22/18 10:02pm

Astasheiks

avatar

I love it because the groove/bass line is so different than what you are usually expecting from him from previous works.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 01/23/18 2:59am

dodger

SchlomoThaHomo said:

I remember being sort of shocked after finally hearing it. When the tracklist leaked in the Prince Family Newsletter, I was expecting it to be this huge, upbeat funk anthem to kick the album off. And then I heard it and it's this sort of midtempo, smooth jazz track. Not really in your face, as we'd come to expect from Prince, and at times politely funky, but pretty ordinary.

I was sort of expecting Get Yo Groove On to be another funk jam, and obviously that wasn't the case either. So I suppose expectations clouded my initial reception. But in retrospect, it was really just Prince defying our expectations yet again, for better or worse.

I do like the song, and as with nearly every song/album, there is something to enjoy within it, because it came from Prince, whom we love.

Agree, it certainly didn't live up to it's title.

.

Similarly with Emancipation itself. Expected it to be a grand epic anthem of sorts... As you say expectations..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 01/23/18 2:31pm

RumAndRaisin

avatar

One of my all time faves. That bassline, Kirk's drum programming, the sax.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Your thoughts on the song "Jam Of The Year"?