independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 20th Sep 2019 2:34am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > His Promotion of women ...
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 01/13/18 10:47pm

PeteSilas

purplerabbithole said:

Oh, don't worry the comments weren't that bad and they didn't phase me. IN fact, the guys were just awkward..nothing serious. The reality is that there needs to be open communication and ways for employees to feel free to bring up situations and comments that make them uncomfortable without it being the end of the world. Its funny but I remember an interview with Arthur Miller when he was discussing his play the Crucible (the one about the Salem witch trials)..Someone asked hiim if he thought the girls were evil because of the harm they caused. He said he kind of sympathized with them because the power structure was oppressive of them and when they got a little empowerment, it exploded and caused harm to well intentioned people... I don't think a man hitting on an employee is a crime or something that should ruin a career, but there does need to be insurances that the women under his employment have the right to say no without losing their jobs. The fact that some women assume that the lonely boss hitting on them would retaliate by firing them if they decline could very well be erroneous and unfair but the assumption is certainly understandable considering that firings and real and frequent harassment has happened before in various settings.. A good HR department with empathy for both parties and measured appropriate reactions would help.

PeteSilas said:

i'm sure you did and i was never an angel but.., some of the things women have pulled were just evil, no other word for it. as a consequence, i've lost out on some winners because of the losers but you only see that in the rear view.

my situations weren't work situations, looking back, i just put myself in a position where someone who had the oppurtunity to be cruel could have either taken the oppurtunity or not, she took it as have a few other women. My point is women aren't always the little victims they pretend to be, i know that first hand. They can be deceptive, manipulating and play innocent at the same time. I am sure many of the weinsteins are really bad guys but i am equally sure that at least a fraction of the women are just jumping on the bandwagon for reasons of their own, maybe they didn't get the break they thought they should have, maybe they want attention, who the hell knows, after what i've been through, nothing women do surprises me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 01/14/18 12:18am

purplerabbitho
le

Well, women are no better and no worse than men. Shitty behavior is shitty behavior..its just looks different in men than in women sometimes.

PeteSilas said:

purplerabbithole said:

Oh, don't worry the comments weren't that bad and they didn't phase me. IN fact, the guys were just awkward..nothing serious. The reality is that there needs to be open communication and ways for employees to feel free to bring up situations and comments that make them uncomfortable without it being the end of the world. Its funny but I remember an interview with Arthur Miller when he was discussing his play the Crucible (the one about the Salem witch trials)..Someone asked hiim if he thought the girls were evil because of the harm they caused. He said he kind of sympathized with them because the power structure was oppressive of them and when they got a little empowerment, it exploded and caused harm to well intentioned people... I don't think a man hitting on an employee is a crime or something that should ruin a career, but there does need to be insurances that the women under his employment have the right to say no without losing their jobs. The fact that some women assume that the lonely boss hitting on them would retaliate by firing them if they decline could very well be erroneous and unfair but the assumption is certainly understandable considering that firings and real and frequent harassment has happened before in various settings.. A good HR department with empathy for both parties and measured appropriate reactions would help.

my situations weren't work situations, looking back, i just put myself in a position where someone who had the oppurtunity to be cruel could have either taken the oppurtunity or not, she took it as have a few other women. My point is women aren't always the little victims they pretend to be, i know that first hand. They can be deceptive, manipulating and play innocent at the same time. I am sure many of the weinsteins are really bad guys but i am equally sure that at least a fraction of the women are just jumping on the bandwagon for reasons of their own, maybe they didn't get the break they thought they should have, maybe they want attention, who the hell knows, after what i've been through, nothing women do surprises me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 01/14/18 11:21am

PeteSilas

i don't put them on a pedestal anymore i can tell you that.

purplerabbithole said:

Well, women are no better and no worse than men. Shitty behavior is shitty behavior..its just looks different in men than in women sometimes.

PeteSilas said:

my situations weren't work situations, looking back, i just put myself in a position where someone who had the oppurtunity to be cruel could have either taken the oppurtunity or not, she took it as have a few other women. My point is women aren't always the little victims they pretend to be, i know that first hand. They can be deceptive, manipulating and play innocent at the same time. I am sure many of the weinsteins are really bad guys but i am equally sure that at least a fraction of the women are just jumping on the bandwagon for reasons of their own, maybe they didn't get the break they thought they should have, maybe they want attention, who the hell knows, after what i've been through, nothing women do surprises me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 01/15/18 12:09pm

cloveringold85

avatar

PeteSilas said:

cloveringold85 said:

Prince loved music and he loved women, but it didn't always make for a romantic combination. I do think that some of his female relationships were purely business.

he did say something I agree with, and it's a reason, not the only one but a reason men like to hire women, men working with men are too competitive and too backstabbing (same with women working together too) all the egos getting in the way of what he's trying to do. He mentioned that before and i could see that. However, there are always issues as he knew, but with women, they don't end up with "i can kick your ass" everytime that gets old.

.

I think a lot of Prince's relationships were music-related. If he felt a connection with a woman, it was usually because of music (i.e., Sheila, Vanity, Andy, etc.).......now, he wasn't gonna get that with a Man, LOL lol

.

I also think women inspired him. Like you said, when it came to Men, Prince was VERY competitive. With a woman, he could create, captivate & romance them. biggrin

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 01/15/18 3:56pm

206Michelle

HerecomethePurpleYoda said:

That would be pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy and maybe one of these 3way a time or 2.

I hear what you are saying PurpleYoda, but I also think that it's unfair to Prince to "write off" his many personal and professional relationships with women as just a way for him to get sex. He deserves far more credit than that.

.

Prince, being the eminent musician that he was, surrounded himself with the best, and among the best were many, many women. Chaka Khan. Sheila E. Wendy. Lisa. Janelle Monae. Susan Rogers. Joni Mitchell. He greatly admired Joni Mitchell. This is a man who accepted a Grammy award for best songwriter for "I Feel For You." There are many Prince fans (myself included) who like Chaka's version of IFFY better than Prince's version:

Chaka Khan owned I Feel For You. Agree or disagree? http://prince.org/msg/7/428802.
.
He surrounded himself with the best, and if the best person was a woman, he chose her.
.
Secondly, he didn't follow the conventional thinking that looking like a woman made him less manly. To the contrary, he embraced feminine attributes. He wore lace. He wore full make-up. He wore heels. He wore long hair. He wore feminine jewelry.
.
His actions demonstrate that he saw women as his equals.

Live 4 Love ~ Love is God, God is love, Girls and boys love God above
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 01/16/18 10:53am

Angelsoncrack

avatar

42Kristen said:

eye Yes. Prince helped out a lot of women be successful. But some did not make the cut like Mayte Garcia. I just do not get it. Prince had given her the world. She still was the best back up dancer he had. I guess all of that ratchet stuff she was doing on stage back in the '90's did work!

Mayte had a name for herself before Prince as a belly dancer. Just because she never gained mainstream success as an actress or singer does not discount her being successful as a whole. And that 'ratchet' stuff she was doing on stage in the 90s was all envisioned by Prince. He was the one that decided on what she wore, advised her in what styles to dance in and the like just like the rest of the NPG, because he was their boss.

✿Prince and lawsuits. Still a better love-story than Twilight. ✿

@Spoookyelectric ← Follow me on Twitter!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 01/16/18 1:40pm

cloveringold85

avatar

206Michelle said:

HerecomethePurpleYoda said:

That would be pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy pussy and maybe one of these 3way a time or 2.

I hear what you are saying PurpleYoda, but I also think that it's unfair to Prince to "write off" his many personal and professional relationships with women as just a way for him to get sex. He deserves far more credit than that.

.

Prince, being the eminent musician that he was, surrounded himself with the best, and among the best were many, many women. Chaka Khan. Sheila E. Wendy. Lisa. Janelle Monae. Susan Rogers. Joni Mitchell. He greatly admired Joni Mitchell. This is a man who accepted a Grammy award for best songwriter for "I Feel For You." There are many Prince fans (myself included) who like Chaka's version of IFFY better than Prince's version:

Chaka Khan owned I Feel For You. Agree or disagree? http://prince.org/msg/7/428802.
.
He surrounded himself with the best, and if the best person was a woman, he chose her.
.
Secondly, he didn't follow the conventional thinking that looking like a woman made him less manly. To the contrary, he embraced feminine attributes. He wore lace. He wore full make-up. He wore heels. He wore long hair. He wore feminine jewelry.
.
His actions demonstrate that he saw women as his equals.

.

I actually prefer Prince's version of "I Feel for You". I thought Chaka's was good, but too overplayed on the radio.

.

Prince didn't have people around him that he didn't want to hang with. Simple as that.

.

He had certain requirements for his love interests, in how they presented themselves (eye candy), and the way they behaved in public.

"With love, honor, and respect for every living thing in the universe, separation ceases, and we all become one being, singing one song." - Prince Roger Nelson (1958-2016)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > His Promotion of women ...