independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 13th Oct 2019 6:20pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Estate Discussion - Part 10 .... Continued
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 17 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/25/17 4:12am

1Sasha

Maybe I am naive, but why have they not hired people like John Branca (the MJ estate) who know the music industry and could wade through the agreements Prince left behind? I still believe the "heirs" thought they were going to get a quick payday on this, and now they are scrambling and fighting because that never happened. Oh yes, and in The New York Times Tyka said Prince's favorite color was actually orange (when discussing the London exhibition). Anything else they want to change?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/25/17 4:18am

laurarichardso
n

master said:

laurarichardson said:

controversy99 said: --They are not going to sell anything to him. The man is a crook. I honestly think he maybe mentally ill. I guess next Patrick Cousins should be working on the estate along with Rodney and all his Egytian relatives. [Edited 8/24/17 18:13pm]

The estate are very greedy . With their court cases and stopping music on youtube etc. . They want a cut on everything. They were crying about a musical not being endorsed by them otherday. Or in otherwords they are after a cut on everything. . They act like they own everything. . Prince more or less said they would be squabbling like little girls and fighting for every penny. Let Boxhall sell this while they get on with the important job of trademarking colours , mugs and books. and flogging those tyka albums.

[Edited 8/25/17 3:33am]

You do understand that the estate managers are under the direction of the probate court to monitize the estate and do so in a legal and ethical manner. This would mean making sure that people are not infringing on copyrights and just outright stealing.

You do remember that Prince was protective of his copyrights as well as any creator of works should be.

The estate is not greedy the estate is doing what it suppose to be doing. I believe Mr. Boxhill is a crook who might luck out and get a song or two because maybe he made it down to the copyright office before Prince but if he owned all of those songs they would have never have come off of I-Tunes in the first place.

He is not doing this to free the music. He is doing this to get paid and if they let him do it I will bet the estate will find itself back in court trying to get paid royalties off of the music that Ian will not be giving them.

The court as well as the family will never sell or license out the vault material for a misely 10 million as they could dump it all on streaming sites and cut out people like Ian and keep all the money to themselves as Sharon already said that they would like to continue to run NPG LLC as an independent company. Who is Ian and why do they need him?

Do you see the Disney company letting people rip off their copyrighted material?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/25/17 4:26am

laurarichardso
n

1Sasha said:

Maybe I am naive, but why have they not hired people like John Branca (the MJ estate) who know the music industry and could wade through the agreements Prince left behind? I still believe the "heirs" thought they were going to get a quick payday on this, and now they are scrambling and fighting because that never happened. Oh yes, and in The New York Times Tyka said Prince's favorite color was actually orange (when discussing the London exhibition). Anything else they want to change?

They have hired Troy Carter and Rhonda Trotter has been brought in as an advisor since she handled legal matters concerning copyrigths for Prince and is very well respected on copyright matters.

Did John Branca not just cause the estaste of MJ to lose a 9 million dollar suit to Quincy Jones when all they had to do was honor the contract that Quincy had with MJ?

( his justification for not paying Quincy on the witness stand were embarrassing)

Did John Branca cause that estate to owe a 100 million in taxes to the IRS?

Has John Branca been able to sell Neverland Ranch which I am sure the property taxes are massive?

I am sure Comerica has compentent lawyers and I am sure the family will find attorney's to help run the LLC once they are in charge. There must be thousands of entertainment law firms in the U.S alone.

Not sure why agreements Prince have to be waded throught. They are what they are and I am sure they all had an end dates. We already saw in the Quincy Jones case that you cannot break these contracts just because one party is deceased and estate managers do not feel like honoring them.

[Edited 8/25/17 8:12am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/25/17 4:46am

fredmagnus

Can someone please explain to me when the heirs are going to be in charge of the Estate ?

I don't get why they're not in charge yet since the judge already said who the heirs were last may.

Thanks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/25/17 6:40am

rogifan

master said:



laurarichardson said:


controversy99 said:
I say sell it to Boxill with one restriction which is that he must *copy* all the tapes/files and leave the originals as is. Then he can do the remastering, compiling, mixing, etc. and release it. The Deliverance EP was great.

--They are not going to sell anything to him. The man is a crook. I honestly think he maybe mentally ill. I guess next Patrick Cousins should be working on the estate along with Rodney and all his Egytian relatives. [Edited 8/24/17 18:13pm]

The estate are very greedy . With their court cases and stopping music on youtube etc. . They want a cut on everything. They were crying about a musical not being endorsed by them otherday. Or in otherwords they are after a cut on everything. . They act like they own everything. . Prince more or less said they would be squabbling like little girls and fighting for every penny. Let Boxhall sell this while they get on with the important job of trademarking colours , mugs and books. and flogging those tyka albums.



[Edited 8/25/17 3:33am]


Good grief, music was coming down left and right when Prince was around. In fact he had a major rant about YouTube on Twitter (but then deleted the tweets).

https://consequenceofsoun...t-footage/
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/25/17 6:51am

nelcp777

ISaidLifeIsJustAGame said:

1Sasha said:

Another prisoner?

There were at least two inmates that filed. Carthen's filed previously.

He is just requesting copies of all filings be sent to him.

Prince should have never went all "Gangster Glam". Joking.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/25/17 10:31am

Astasheiks

avatar

laurarichardson said:

master said:

The estate are very greedy . With their court cases and stopping music on youtube etc. . They want a cut on everything. They were crying about a musical not being endorsed by them otherday. Or in otherwords they are after a cut on everything. . They act like they own everything. . Prince more or less said they would be squabbling like little girls and fighting for every penny. Let Boxhall sell this while they get on with the important job of trademarking colours , mugs and books. and flogging those tyka albums.

[Edited 8/25/17 3:33am]

You do understand that the estate managers are under the direction of the probate court to monitize the estate and do so in a legal and ethical manner. This would mean making sure that people are not infringing on copyrights and just outright stealing.

You do remember that Prince was protective of his copyrights as well as any creator of works should be.

The estate is not greedy the estate is doing what it suppose to be doing. I believe Mr. Boxhill is a crook who might luck out and get a song or two because maybe he made it down to the copyright office before Prince but if he owned all of those songs they would have never have come off of I-Tunes in the first place.

He is not doing this to free the music. He is doing this to get paid and if they let him do it I will bet the estate will find itself back in court trying to get paid royalties off of the music that Ian will not be giving them.

The court as well as the family will never sell or license out the vault material for a misely 10 million as they could dump it all on streaming sites and cut out people like Ian and keep all the money to themselves as Sharon already said that they would like to continue to run NPG LLC as an independent company. Who is Ian and why do they need him?

Do you see the Disney company letting people rip off their copyrighted material?

You go girl, Tell it Laura! biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/25/17 12:20pm

luvsexy4all

https://www.forbes.com/sites/legalentertainment/2017/08/23/princes-estate-the-battle-continues/#76347f016f56

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/25/17 2:11pm

Highonpurple

fredmagnus said:

Can someone please explain to me when the heirs are going to be in charge of the Estate ?

I don't get why they're not in charge yet since the judge already said who the heirs were last may.

Thanks.

One day Prince2Elohim is going 2 make everything allright, I promise, 2 all the rightious ones

I missed the boat, still working on seeing the light

Girl 6

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/25/17 2:36pm

Mumio

avatar

Highonpurple said:

fredmagnus said:

Can someone please explain to me when the heirs are going to be in charge of the Estate ?

I don't get why they're not in charge yet since the judge already said who the heirs were last may.

Thanks.

One day Prince2Elohim is going 2 make everything allright, I promise, 2 all the rightious ones

I missed the boat, still working on seeing the light

Girl 6



Okay. Now you need to say this in words that all of us can understand.

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/25/17 3:58pm

funksterr

Who stole the will? Did he do something bizarre AF in writing, that left the money and power somewhere they didn't like? Believe it or not.... years before the unavoidable came to pass................ he was allegedly/supposedly giving the whole thing away. I think that's what he did and somebody didn't like it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/25/17 7:50pm

laurarichardso
n

funksterr said:

Who stole the will? Did he do something bizarre AF in writing, that left the money and power somewhere they didn't like? Believe it or not.... years before the unavoidable came to pass..... he was allegedly/supposedly giving the whole thing away. I think that's what he did and somebody didn't like it.


---I think he gave a lot of money away to charity and I think he was gearing up to give away even more.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/26/17 6:01am

master

laurarichardson said:

master said:

The estate are very greedy . With their court cases and stopping music on youtube etc. . They want a cut on everything. They were crying about a musical not being endorsed by them otherday. Or in otherwords they are after a cut on everything. . They act like they own everything. . Prince more or less said they would be squabbling like little girls and fighting for every penny. Let Boxhall sell this while they get on with the important job of trademarking colours , mugs and books. and flogging those tyka albums.

[Edited 8/25/17 3:33am]

You do understand that the estate managers are under the direction of the probate court to monitize the estate and do so in a legal and ethical manner. This would mean making sure that people are not infringing on copyrights and just outright stealing.

You do remember that Prince was protective of his copyrights as well as any creator of works should be.

The estate is not greedy the estate is doing what it suppose to be doing. I believe Mr. Boxhill is a crook who might luck out and get a song or two because maybe he made it down to the copyright office before Prince but if he owned all of those songs they would have never have come off of I-Tunes in the first place.

He is not doing this to free the music. He is doing this to get paid and if they let him do it I will bet the estate will find itself back in court trying to get paid royalties off of the music that Ian will not be giving them.

The court as well as the family will never sell or license out the vault material for a misely 10 million as they could dump it all on streaming sites and cut out people like Ian and keep all the money to themselves as Sharon already said that they would like to continue to run NPG LLC as an independent company. Who is Ian and why do they need him?

Do you see the Disney company letting people rip off their copyrighted material?

i just think that prince was bad as far as taking stuff down but nowhere near as bad as these are. . He was bad and lets face it he could have been more succesful if had common business sense. . Look at floyd mayweather He makes millions a great businessman. Then compare to prince both at the top of the field talentwise. Youtube etc is free promotion and he blocked it so does estate. . . Also prince never used to pay people and they had to go to court to get it. Prince was abit of a crook also you know and very tricky to deal with. His insistance on getting bigger cut on his cds leaft nothing for promotion. He could not see that with promotion he would make much more money. They could have come to a deal with warners on first avenue 83 dvd purple rain deluxe and made it better. Sure they blocked it and they could have come to a deal come to a deal with boxhall. He says not paid for studio time and i believe him .

They do not need to be pains in the ass they can easily make money using common sense but so far they have got everythin wrong.

The estate are run by very greedy people .Every action they have taken as shown themselves to be this. . Every penny as to go to them when done sod all to earn it.

[Edited 8/26/17 6:08am]

[Edited 8/26/17 6:15am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/26/17 9:17pm

Astasheiks

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/legalentertainment/2017/08/23/princes-estate-the-battle-continues/#76347f016f56

"While most thought the case was said and done, the judge appointed a second special administrator today, Peter Gleekel of Larson King LLC. Gleekel is tasked to decide whether or not someone should be held accountable for the cancellation of the UMG deal, and if the estate has a right to pursue a claim against any of the parties involved. He has until December 15th to submit a report."

I see this dragging on to 2018 before the heirs get they cut... eek sad smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/26/17 9:18pm

Astasheiks

avatar

funksterr said:

Who stole the will? Did he do something bizarre AF in writing, that left the money and power somewhere they didn't like? Believe it or not.... years before the unavoidable came to pass................ he was allegedly/supposedly giving the whole thing away. I think that's what he did and somebody didn't like it.

What make you think a will was stolen?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/27/17 9:12am

laurarichardso
n

master said:



laurarichardson said:




master said:



The estate are very greedy . With their court cases and stopping music on youtube etc. . They want a cut on everything. They were crying about a musical not being endorsed by them otherday. Or in otherwords they are after a cut on everything. . They act like they own everything. . Prince more or less said they would be squabbling like little girls and fighting for every penny. Let Boxhall sell this while they get on with the important job of trademarking colours , mugs and books. and flogging those tyka albums.




[Edited 8/25/17 3:33am]



You do understand that the estate managers are under the direction of the probate court to monitize the estate and do so in a legal and ethical manner. This would mean making sure that people are not infringing on copyrights and just outright stealing.



You do remember that Prince was protective of his copyrights as well as any creator of works should be.



The estate is not greedy the estate is doing what it suppose to be doing. I believe Mr. Boxhill is a crook who might luck out and get a song or two because maybe he made it down to the copyright office before Prince but if he owned all of those songs they would have never have come off of I-Tunes in the first place.



He is not doing this to free the music. He is doing this to get paid and if they let him do it I will bet the estate will find itself back in court trying to get paid royalties off of the music that Ian will not be giving them.



The court as well as the family will never sell or license out the vault material for a misely 10 million as they could dump it all on streaming sites and cut out people like Ian and keep all the money to themselves as Sharon already said that they would like to continue to run NPG LLC as an independent company. Who is Ian and why do they need him?



Do you see the Disney company letting people rip off their copyrighted material?





i just think that prince was bad as far as taking stuff down but nowhere near as bad as these are. . He was bad and lets face it he could have been more succesful if had common business sense. . Look at floyd mayweather He makes millions a great businessman. Then compare to prince both at the top of the field talentwise. Youtube etc is free promotion and he blocked it so does estate. . . Also prince never used to pay people and they had to go to court to get it. Prince was abit of a crook also you know and very tricky to deal with. His insistance on getting bigger cut on his cds leaft nothing for promotion. He could not see that with promotion he would make much more money. They could have come to a deal with warners on first avenue 83 dvd purple rain deluxe and made it better. Sure they blocked it and they could have come to a deal come to a deal with boxhall. He says not paid for studio time and i believe him .


They do not need to be pains in the ass they can easily make money using common sense but so far they have got everythin wrong.


The estate are run by very greedy people .Every action they have taken as shown themselves to be this. . Every penny as to go to them when done sod all to earn it.


[Edited 8/26/17 6:08am]

[Edited 8/26/17 6:15am]


While Prince was not Warren Buffet he was no idiot. He died with very little debt and about 40 million in real estate. Why are you comparing him to Floyd when Floyd has no copyrights to manage. Once again does the Disney Corporation let people watch movies for YouTube? They do not because they are not going to make any money. There is evidence or money trail showing free viewing on YouTube. Music sales are the worst ever with very few artist even selling a million units YouTube is not bringing that back. In addition, many people that worked for Prince say they were paid very well and only a handful sued and either dropped the case or received pennies. Many of those people are cashing in now so how greedy are those people? WB has to comply with whatever is in the 2014 contract maybe something in the contract is stopping the release of the PR rehearsal tape we just do not know. As far as Prince he did not set up his LLC to not make money he was going to do things to generate income and the estate mangers are going to find ways to do just that as they are under the watch of the court to do so. If you want free stuff get in touch with your bootlegger.
[Edited 8/27/17 9:13am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/27/17 10:19am

Bodhitheblackd
og

laurarichardson said:

master said:

i just think that prince was bad as far as taking stuff down but nowhere near as bad as these are. . He was bad and lets face it he could have been more succesful if had common business sense. . Look at floyd mayweather He makes millions a great businessman. Then compare to prince both at the top of the field talentwise. Youtube etc is free promotion and he blocked it so does estate. . . Also prince never used to pay people and they had to go to court to get it. Prince was abit of a crook also you know and very tricky to deal with. His insistance on getting bigger cut on his cds leaft nothing for promotion. He could not see that with promotion he would make much more money. They could have come to a deal with warners on first avenue 83 dvd purple rain deluxe and made it better. Sure they blocked it and they could have come to a deal come to a deal with boxhall. He says not paid for studio time and i believe him .

They do not need to be pains in the ass they can easily make money using common sense but so far they have got everythin wrong.

The estate are run by very greedy people .Every action they have taken as shown themselves to be this. . Every penny as to go to them when done sod all to earn it.

[Edited 8/26/17 6:08am]

[Edited 8/26/17 6:15am]

While Prince was not Warren Buffet he was no idiot. He died with very little debt and about 40 million in real estate. Why are you comparing him to Floyd when Floyd has no copyrights to manage. Once again does the Disney Corporation let people watch movies for YouTube? They do not because they are not going to make any money. There is evidence or money trail showing free viewing on YouTube. Music sales are the worst ever with very few artist even selling a million units YouTube is not bringing that back. In addition, many people that worked for Prince say they were paid very well and only a handful sued and either dropped the case or received pennies. Many of those people are cashing in now so how greedy are those people? WB has to comply with whatever is in the 2014 contract maybe something in the contract is stopping the release of the PR rehearsal tape we just do not know. As far as Prince he did not set up his LLC to not make money he was going to do things to generate income and the estate mangers are going to find ways to do just that as they are under the watch of the court to do so. If you want free stuff get in touch with your bootlegger. [Edited 8/27/17 9:13am]

Another way to look at is that it's going to take more than a Pantone color or another repackaged WB greatest hits compilation to kick start and renew Prince awareness and a thirst for his music. LR, you yourself said on this thread that Prince wasn't so great at marketing himself so why should we put our faith in his family in this area?

As for Prince songs appearing in movies, etc. Meh...you think someones' going to walk out of a movie theater and say 'he, about that song, gotta find out who wrote it and get into their 40 year career and 1000 song catalogue.'...I don't think so..those who are so inclined are already fans and have 40 plus albums, etc, etc, etc.

We're talking about the need to broaden the fan base, so I agree that it wouldn't hurt the estate or the heirs one bit to be more generous with the music, You Tube clips, more reasonable prices for PP events and merchandise...more Prince music anywhere it can be placed, even for free, until the conversation goes from 'who was that?' to 'Prince, my man.'

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 08/27/17 11:13am

Highonpurple

Bodhitheblackdog said:

laurarichardson said:

master said: While Prince was not Warren Buffet he was no idiot. He died with very little debt and about 40 million in real estate. Why are you comparing him to Floyd when Floyd has no copyrights to manage. Once again does the Disney Corporation let people watch movies for YouTube? They do not because they are not going to make any money. There is evidence or money trail showing free viewing on YouTube. Music sales are the worst ever with very few artist even selling a million units YouTube is not bringing that back. In addition, many people that worked for Prince say they were paid very well and only a handful sued and either dropped the case or received pennies. Many of those people are cashing in now so how greedy are those people? WB has to comply with whatever is in the 2014 contract maybe something in the contract is stopping the release of the PR rehearsal tape we just do not know. As far as Prince he did not set up his LLC to not make money he was going to do things to generate income and the estate mangers are going to find ways to do just that as they are under the watch of the court to do so. If you want free stuff get in touch with your bootlegger. [Edited 8/27/17 9:13am]

Another way to look at is that it's going to take more than a Pantone color or another repackaged WB greatest hits compilation to kick start and renew Prince awareness and a thirst for his music. LR, you yourself said on this thread that Prince wasn't so great at marketing himself so why should we put our faith in his family in this area?

As for Prince songs appearing in movies, etc. Meh...you think someones' going to walk out of a movie theater and say 'he, about that song, gotta find out who wrote it and get into their 40 year career and 1000 song catalogue.'...I don't think so..those who are so inclined are already fans and have 40 plus albums, etc, etc, etc.

We're talking about the need to broaden the fan base, so I agree that it wouldn't hurt the estate or the heirs one bit to be more generous with the music, You Tube clips, more reasonable prices for PP events and merchandise...more Prince music anywhere it can be placed, even for free, until the conversation goes from 'who was that?' to 'Prince, my man.'

Broaden the fan base, yeah I like that, how about rerecording his music in Spanish, French, italian, German, etc. I think patience is a virtue

Peace Power Prince2Elohim

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 08/27/17 3:04pm

laurarichardso
n

Bodhitheblackdog said:



laurarichardson said:


master said:


i just think that prince was bad as far as taking stuff down but nowhere near as bad as these are. . He was bad and lets face it he could have been more succesful if had common business sense. . Look at floyd mayweather He makes millions a great businessman. Then compare to prince both at the top of the field talentwise. Youtube etc is free promotion and he blocked it so does estate. . . Also prince never used to pay people and they had to go to court to get it. Prince was abit of a crook also you know and very tricky to deal with. His insistance on getting bigger cut on his cds leaft nothing for promotion. He could not see that with promotion he would make much more money. They could have come to a deal with warners on first avenue 83 dvd purple rain deluxe and made it better. Sure they blocked it and they could have come to a deal come to a deal with boxhall. He says not paid for studio time and i believe him .


They do not need to be pains in the ass they can easily make money using common sense but so far they have got everythin wrong.


The estate are run by very greedy people .Every action they have taken as shown themselves to be this. . Every penny as to go to them when done sod all to earn it.


[Edited 8/26/17 6:08am]


[Edited 8/26/17 6:15am]



While Prince was not Warren Buffet he was no idiot. He died with very little debt and about 40 million in real estate. Why are you comparing him to Floyd when Floyd has no copyrights to manage. Once again does the Disney Corporation let people watch movies for YouTube? They do not because they are not going to make any money. There is evidence or money trail showing free viewing on YouTube. Music sales are the worst ever with very few artist even selling a million units YouTube is not bringing that back. In addition, many people that worked for Prince say they were paid very well and only a handful sued and either dropped the case or received pennies. Many of those people are cashing in now so how greedy are those people? WB has to comply with whatever is in the 2014 contract maybe something in the contract is stopping the release of the PR rehearsal tape we just do not know. As far as Prince he did not set up his LLC to not make money he was going to do things to generate income and the estate mangers are going to find ways to do just that as they are under the watch of the court to do so. If you want free stuff get in touch with your bootlegger. [Edited 8/27/17 9:13am]

Another way to look at is that it's going to take more than a Pantone color or another repackaged WB greatest hits compilation to kick start and renew Prince awareness and a thirst for his music. LR, you yourself said on this thread that Prince wasn't so great at marketing himself so why should we put our faith in his family in this area?



As for Prince songs appearing in movies, etc. Meh...you think someones' going to walk out of a movie theater and say 'he, about that song, gotta find out who wrote it and get into their 40 year career and 1000 song catalogue.'...I don't think so..those who are so inclined are already fans and have 40 plus albums, etc, etc, etc.



We're talking about the need to broaden the fan base, so I agree that it wouldn't hurt the estate or the heirs one bit to be more generous with the music, You Tube clips, more reasonable prices for PP events and merchandise...more Prince music anywhere it can be placed, even for free, until the conversation goes from 'who was that?' to 'Prince, my man.'


--- Prince did not market himself to get new fans because he had plenty of fans who came out to see his live concerts. No need to market now thT revenue is gone the family when they take over can find people to help perhaps if Troy does well they will keep him around. The reason you put money in movies and t.v is to get the fees which are quite high and remember Prince was advertising this on the NOG LLC website. He was looking to license out the music go bring in revenue not bring in new fans.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 08/28/17 4:50am

1Sasha

Do we all remember last year's MTV Awards? No mention of Prince. Last night, what I understand was a very touching tribute to Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington. (Sorry, I only watched Taylor Swift's new video - loved it.) Really? Or was that indicative of what matters to millenials - Prince was a "no" and these last two a "yes." Who cares if videos are out there? If someone is making money off of them, then I can see removing them, but regular fans sharing videos? Please. Let them do it. After all, they are the people who bought the albums, DVDS, merchandise and concert tickets all these years. Let them do it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 08/28/17 9:07am

laurarichardso
n

1Sasha said:

Do we all remember last year's MTV Awards? No mention of Prince. Last night, what I understand was a very touching tribute to Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington. (Sorry, I only watched Taylor Swift's new video - loved it.) Really? Or was that indicative of what matters to millenials - Prince was a "no" and these last two a "yes." Who cares if videos are out there? If someone is making money off of them, then I can see removing them, but regular fans sharing videos? Please. Let them do it. After all, they are the people who bought the albums, DVDS, merchandise and concert tickets all these years. Let them do it.

Youtube is making money off of them. We have the official WB channel so it is not like we have no access to videos. No MTV does not care about Prince but they can give time for a tribute to two guys who were not actually have a run of popularity lately and I bet a lot of millenials don't know anymore than Prince.

Think about why those two were up there and not Prince.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 08/28/17 9:11am

nelcp777

Did anyone read the Cousins transcript? This dude is shady to say the least. I have always been weary of a person who claims to have all the answers.

I was suprised when he claimed he had knowledge of things that the SA needed to know, but the SA did not reach out to him. Comerica gave me the vide that they do not hold him in a high regard.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 08/28/17 9:19am

laurarichardso
n

nelcp777 said:

Did anyone read the Cousins transcript? This dude is shady to say the least. I have always been weary of a person who claims to have all the answers.

I was suprised when he claimed he had knowledge of things that the SA needed to know, but the SA did not reach out to him. Comerica gave me the vide that they do not hold him in a high regard.

Cousins had 65 boxes of legal documents that he had to be subpoenaed to turn over. If he wanted to help he could have turned those boxes over without being forced instead of wasting his time representing that convict and trying to get $600,000.00 with not record of what the $600,000 was actually for and submitting it long past the time for claims and stature of limitations.

The man should have is license to practice law taken away.

[Edited 8/28/17 9:33am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 08/28/17 11:00am

nelcp777

laurarichardson said:

nelcp777 said:

Did anyone read the Cousins transcript? This dude is shady to say the least. I have always been weary of a person who claims to have all the answers.

I was suprised when he claimed he had knowledge of things that the SA needed to know, but the SA did not reach out to him. Comerica gave me the vide that they do not hold him in a high regard.

Cousins had 65 boxes of legal documents that he had to be subpoenaed to turn over. If he wanted to help he could have turned those boxes over without being forced instead of wasting his time representing that convict and trying to get $600,000.00 with not record of what the $600,000 was actually for and submitting it long past the time for claims and stature of limitations.

The man should have is license to practice law taken away.

[Edited 8/28/17 9:33am]

In the transcript, Cousins said 120 boxes. He made, in my opinion, a sly remark that storing those boxes are costing him money. The SA, per the transcript and summarized by me, wanted copies of all the boxes, but Cousin's wanted to charge thousands of dollars. Each statement he made, it seemed like he was trying to turn a buck. My personal opinion. I do wonder whatever became of the subpoena. Cousins claimed to have continued to work for Prince for a long time after the divorce, 2009 I believe.

Comerica made several sound arguements, in my opinion, against Cousin and his claim. I know if someone owed my $600k, I would not wait years to settle up.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 08/28/17 12:56pm

Astasheiks

avatar

laurarichardson said:

1Sasha said:

Do we all remember last year's MTV Awards? No mention of Prince. Last night, what I understand was a very touching tribute to Chris Cornell and Chester Bennington. (Sorry, I only watched Taylor Swift's new video - loved it.) Really? Or was that indicative of what matters to millenials - Prince was a "no" and these last two a "yes." Who cares if videos are out there? If someone is making money off of them, then I can see removing them, but regular fans sharing videos? Please. Let them do it. After all, they are the people who bought the albums, DVDS, merchandise and concert tickets all these years. Let them do it.

Youtube is making money off of them. We have the official WB channel so it is not like we have no access to videos. No MTV does not care about Prince but they can give time for a tribute to two guys who were not actually have a run of popularity lately and I bet a lot of millenials don't know anymore than Prince.

Think about why those two were up there and not Prince.

I can't believe in 2016 MTV Awards did no mention of Prince??? eek sad For all the things he did in his Career and being one of the 1st Blacks shown on MTV! Ain't that a Bitch! mad smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 08/28/17 1:11pm

laurarichardso
n

nelcp777 said:

laurarichardson said:

Cousins had 65 boxes of legal documents that he had to be subpoenaed to turn over. If he wanted to help he could have turned those boxes over without being forced instead of wasting his time representing that convict and trying to get $600,000.00 with not record of what the $600,000 was actually for and submitting it long past the time for claims and stature of limitations.

The man should have is license to practice law taken away.

[Edited 8/28/17 9:33am]

In the transcript, Cousins said 120 boxes. He made, in my opinion, a sly remark that storing those boxes are costing him money. The SA, per the transcript and summarized by me, wanted copies of all the boxes, but Cousin's wanted to charge thousands of dollars. Each statement he made, it seemed like he was trying to turn a buck. My personal opinion. I do wonder whatever became of the subpoena. Cousins claimed to have continued to work for Prince for a long time after the divorce, 2009 I believe.

Comerica made several sound arguements, in my opinion, against Cousin and his claim. I know if someone owed my $600k, I would not wait years to settle up.

I believe he had to turn those boxes over. Not sure how he can beat a subpoena the estate is in probate and they need the docs. I also doubt Cousins has any proof that he worked for Prince beyond 2009 however there are dispositions that Prince gave for suits against Cousin for pretending to be Prince's managers and setting up gigs.

Also there is the matter of stealing the Church. I would imagine that this jackel is going to sit his ass down somewhere unless he wants the estate to push forward on the him stealing that church.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 08/28/17 5:50pm

Bodhitheblackd
og

laurarichardson said:

Bodhitheblackdog said:

Another way to look at is that it's going to take more than a Pantone color or another repackaged WB greatest hits compilation to kick start and renew Prince awareness and a thirst for his music. LR, you yourself said on this thread that Prince wasn't so great at marketing himself so why should we put our faith in his family in this area?

As for Prince songs appearing in movies, etc. Meh...you think someones' going to walk out of a movie theater and say 'he, about that song, gotta find out who wrote it and get into their 40 year career and 1000 song catalogue.'...I don't think so..those who are so inclined are already fans and have 40 plus albums, etc, etc, etc.

We're talking about the need to broaden the fan base, so I agree that it wouldn't hurt the estate or the heirs one bit to be more generous with the music, You Tube clips, more reasonable prices for PP events and merchandise...more Prince music anywhere it can be placed, even for free, until the conversation goes from 'who was that?' to 'Prince, my man.'

--- Prince did not market himself to get new fans because he had plenty of fans who came out to see his live concerts. No need to market now thT revenue is gone the family when they take over can find people to help perhaps if Troy does well they will keep him around. The reason you put money in movies and t.v is to get the fees which are quite high and remember Prince was advertising this on the NOG LLC website. He was looking to license out the music go bring in revenue not bring in new fans.

If your theory is true, and it very well might be...all Prince anything going forward is for the benefit of the family (can't wait for Sharon's jazz career to lift off and a series of albums from Daddy Nelson), the government (estate taxes) and making sure the Graceland honchos at PP can prop up a robust probit margin...nothing for the charities Prince was supposed to have cared so much about, nothing for music education for kids who might not otherwise have access to training and instruments and it looking more-and-more like just crumbs for the fams who kept him well taken care of for four decades. Gotta go, my bootlegger is calling...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 08/28/17 6:56pm

margi

master said:



laurarichardson said:




master said:



The estate are very greedy . With their court cases and stopping music on youtube etc. . They want a cut on everything. They were crying about a musical not being endorsed by them otherday. Or in otherwords they are after a cut on everything. . They act like they own everything. . Prince more or less said they would be squabbling like little girls and fighting for every penny. Let Boxhall sell this while they get on with the important job of trademarking colours , mugs and books. and flogging those tyka albums.




[Edited 8/25/17 3:33am]



You do understand that the estate managers are under the direction of the probate court to monitize the estate and do so in a legal and ethical manner. This would mean making sure that people are not infringing on copyrights and just outright stealing.



You do remember that Prince was protective of his copyrights as well as any creator of works should be.



The estate is not greedy the estate is doing what it suppose to be doing. I believe Mr. Boxhill is a crook who might luck out and get a song or two because maybe he made it down to the copyright office before Prince but if he owned all of those songs they would have never have come off of I-Tunes in the first place.



He is not doing this to free the music. He is doing this to get paid and if they let him do it I will bet the estate will find itself back in court trying to get paid royalties off of the music that Ian will not be giving them.



The court as well as the family will never sell or license out the vault material for a misely 10 million as they could dump it all on streaming sites and cut out people like Ian and keep all the money to themselves as Sharon already said that they would like to continue to run NPG LLC as an independent company. Who is Ian and why do they need him?



Do you see the Disney company letting people rip off their copyrighted material?





i just think that prince was bad as far as taking stuff down but nowhere near as bad as these are. . He was bad and lets face it he could have been more succesful if had common business sense. . Look at floyd mayweather He makes millions a great businessman. Then compare to prince both at the top of the field talentwise. Youtube etc is free promotion and he blocked it so does estate. . . Also prince never used to pay people and they had to go to court to get it. Prince was abit of a crook also you know and very tricky to deal with. His insistance on getting bigger cut on his cds leaft nothing for promotion. He could not see that with promotion he would make much more money. They could have come to a deal with warners on first avenue 83 dvd purple rain deluxe and made it better. Sure they blocked it and they could have come to a deal come to a deal with boxhall. He says not paid for studio time and i believe him .


They do not need to be pains in the ass they can easily make money using common sense but so far they have got everythin wrong.


The estate are run by very greedy people .Every action they have taken as shown themselves to be this. . Every penny as to go to them when done sod all to earn it.


[Edited 8/26/17 6:08am]

[Edited 8/26/17 6:15am]


laurarichardson understands the situation of the estate. The music in the vault belongs to the LLC and is managed under the direction of what Prince set up the LLC to do. The beneficiaries of the LLC named by Prince will financially benefit from income derived from his music legacy. The Estate is made up of Real Estate, PP,personal possesions and vehicles etc. To keep PP running the estate must liquidate what it can and raise money for the state taxes. If you want Prince's music and legacy to continue then you have to allow the "wheels to turn". A will was not necessary as the LLC stands alone and he controls what he wanted by the charter when he set it up. The estate that perhaps would have benefited from a Will was perhaps left to sort itself out as a Will would have been contested much as what has already gone on. I believe the beneficiaries of the LLC will never be known but I am sure his charities are included. I am surprised Van Jones was not more involved in the LLC but we may not know what is really going on there. The LLC is not suject to any state taxes,will remain private always and goes on infinitum.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 08/28/17 7:55pm

laurarichardso
n

Bodhitheblackdog said:



laurarichardson said:


Bodhitheblackdog said:


Another way to look at is that it's going to take more than a Pantone color or another repackaged WB greatest hits compilation to kick start and renew Prince awareness and a thirst for his music. LR, you yourself said on this thread that Prince wasn't so great at marketing himself so why should we put our faith in his family in this area?



As for Prince songs appearing in movies, etc. Meh...you think someones' going to walk out of a movie theater and say 'he, about that song, gotta find out who wrote it and get into their 40 year career and 1000 song catalogue.'...I don't think so..those who are so inclined are already fans and have 40 plus albums, etc, etc, etc.



We're talking about the need to broaden the fan base, so I agree that it wouldn't hurt the estate or the heirs one bit to be more generous with the music, You Tube clips, more reasonable prices for PP events and merchandise...more Prince music anywhere it can be placed, even for free, until the conversation goes from 'who was that?' to 'Prince, my man.'



--- Prince did not market himself to get new fans because he had plenty of fans who came out to see his live concerts. No need to market now thT revenue is gone the family when they take over can find people to help perhaps if Troy does well they will keep him around. The reason you put money in movies and t.v is to get the fees which are quite high and remember Prince was advertising this on the NOG LLC website. He was looking to license out the music go bring in revenue not bring in new fans.

If your theory is true, and it very well might be...all Prince anything going forward is for the benefit of the family (can't wait for Sharon's jazz career to lift off and a series of albums from Daddy Nelson), the government (estate taxes) and making sure the Graceland honchos at PP can prop up a robust probit margin...nothing for the charities Prince was supposed to have cared so much about, nothing for music education for kids who might not otherwise have access to training and instruments and it looking more-and-more like just crumbs for the fams who kept him well taken care of for four decades. Gotta go, my bootlegger is calling...


--Actually Sharon said they would like to put revenue aside for charities Prince supported but realize they have to have a profitable business first. Remember even Prince had to bring in money to fund his charities.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 08/28/17 8:07pm

Bodhitheblackd
og

laurarichardson said:

Bodhitheblackdog said:

If your theory is true, and it very well might be...all Prince anything going forward is for the benefit of the family (can't wait for Sharon's jazz career to lift off and a series of albums from Daddy Nelson), the government (estate taxes) and making sure the Graceland honchos at PP can prop up a robust probit margin...nothing for the charities Prince was supposed to have cared so much about, nothing for music education for kids who might not otherwise have access to training and instruments and it looking more-and-more like just crumbs for the fams who kept him well taken care of for four decades. Gotta go, my bootlegger is calling...

--Actually Sharon said they would like to put revenue aside for charities Prince supported but realize they have to have a profitable business first. Remember even Prince had to bring in money to fund his charities.

And the first order of business apparently was laying their beloved brother to rest for eternity in the lobby of a tourist attraction where people have to pay money to pay their respects. Sideshow Prince.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 17 <123456789>Last »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Estate Discussion - Part 10 .... Continued