independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 15th Jun 2019 4:17pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Gold Standard
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/02/17 3:00pm

cfluid

The Gold Standard

My wife makes me play this song all the time. It hasn't grown on me yet. I have read some posts where some people gush over this one. Am i missing something? It seems a bit busy 2 my ears. I don't hate it, it is one of those ones that doesn't make me feel 1 way or the other. It seems like Prince put a lot of effort n2 it so I wonder if its 1 of those genius moments that escapes me. Is this any1's favorite jam?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/02/17 3:08pm

TheEnglishGent

avatar

Loved it the first time, loved it each time since.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/02/17 3:09pm

Dandroppedadim
e

it's crazy amazing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/02/17 3:14pm

cfluid

biggrin

Dandroppedadime said:

it's crazy amazing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/02/17 3:53pm

Transformed1

I love it, it hit me immediately

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/02/17 4:44pm

conhawa

To my ear...i hear a lot of 80s influence. The synths sound 1982...while the guitar riff reminds me of 1986. A bit too polished....but a nice reminder of the MPLsound
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/02/17 5:09pm

mdmeridius

avatar

I've listened to it for the first time just now and I really like it. The riff reminds me of Kiss a little bit. It was quite exciting. It was a bit different.
Must be something in the water we drink.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/02/17 5:38pm

tishal

I've loved it since the first time I heard it. To me, it flows and is an easy beat. I hardly ever skip over it.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/02/17 6:02pm

IstenSzek

avatar

"lemme get in there...all the way in..."

tonk


love that song music smile





and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/02/17 6:03pm

IstenSzek

avatar

mdmeridius said:

I've listened to it for the first time just now and I really like it. The riff reminds me of Kiss a little bit. It was quite exciting. It was a bit different.


i see what you did there lol



and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/02/17 6:13pm

mdmeridius

avatar

IstenSzek said:



mdmeridius said:


I've listened to it for the first time just now and I really like it. The riff reminds me of Kiss a little bit. It was quite exciting. It was a bit different.


i see what you did there lol




wink
Must be something in the water we drink.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/02/17 7:07pm

Laydown

the best song from the album

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/02/17 7:28pm

sulls

avatar

"This is exciting, it's different"

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/02/17 7:56pm

MD431Madcat

avatar

yeahthat

conhawa said:

To my ear...i hear a lot of 80s influence. The synths sound 1982...while the guitar riff reminds me of 1986. A bit too polished....but a nice reminder of the MPLsound

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/02/17 10:15pm

OrangeClock

great track.

the addition of the bob george-esque outro is the icing on the cake, and it segues perfectly into U Know

The good ol' days weren't always good, and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/03/17 1:49am

antonb

I liked it when I first heard it, but now I skip it because I find it boring to listen to all the way through. Big fan of the album overall though.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/03/17 5:14am

partyup77

It was love at first listen for me -- and has remained an all time favorite.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/03/17 8:07am

herb4

avatar

I like it. Especially that thick breakdown at the end with the Bob George voice. Wish he'd extended that part longer becuase the funk is so much heavier. Gold Standard overall is sort of "funk light" and I think that holds it back. AoA in general, as much as I love it, could have used one or two more "bangers" on it - funk or rock - just to change the pacing up. Funk N Roll is good but the record sort of stays on the same level tempo wise for too long. Get rid of that horrible first track and put something with the uptempo energy of "PFUNK" on it and we go from an A- album to an A+ IMO.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/03/17 8:55am

Harps

I like it very much, and yes, to me it sounds like there is a lot going on, but that's what I like biggrin

.

From the first time I heard the song, it reminds me of The Everlasting Now!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/03/17 1:27pm

dodger

OrangeClock said:

great track.



the addition of the bob george-esque outro is the icing on the cake, and it segues perfectly into U Know



Agree, goes well back to back with U Know (which has grown on me).
From Old school Prince ala Black Album into modern day sounding.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/03/17 2:02pm

lotusflower000
0

I love it. I listen to it to boost my mood.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/03/17 2:12pm

cfluid

Well....damn. I respect all of the responses and opinions posted. I'm going 2 play it til it sticks to my tastes, it has happened b4 ( Dinner With Delores). I must admit, I had no problem with the Bob George voice parts! playing it now! Thanks friends.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/03/17 2:25pm

ForceofNature

I think the issue I have with this song and a lot of the AOA tunes is that it kind of re-treads the same ground Prince or other pop artists have already conquered but in a "diet coke" type of way. The Gold Standard is like a Kiss type of song but not as well composed. Its catchy and enjoyable, its certainly not bad. But I rarely listen to it because why listen to that when you can listen to Kiss?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 07/03/17 5:08pm

rusty1

Forgettable song
BOB4theFUNK
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 07/04/17 3:06pm

bonatoc

avatar

antonb said:

I liked it when I first heard it, but now I skip it because I find it boring to listen to all the way through. Big fan of the album overall though.


Same. By the end of the first chorus, pretty much everything has been said about the musical idea. Which is kinda bland, and not in a Michaelsy way.
The only thing that prevents me from skipping it is that Prince clearly believes in the song, and tries hard to get you into it. But it bears waht I would call "fake minimalism", a nasty trait popularized by Pharrell and other Prince wannabes, trying to capture the WDC and Kiss spirit. The end results sounds like a Prince caricature, done by Prince.
It deserves its place on AOA, it fits the track-listing well, but it's not the kind of song I would go to spontaneously. I can't picture myself going "Hey, I feel like listening to 'The Gold Standard'!".
There are too many feel-good, bragging songs in his repertoire that make you do the do.

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 07/05/17 11:57am

thedance

avatar

Love this track.. love

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 07/06/17 1:34pm

Dorothy3121

avatar

cfluid said:

My wife makes me play this song all the time. It hasn't grown on me yet. I have read some posts where some people gush over this one. Am i missing something? It seems a bit busy 2 my ears. I don't hate it, it is one of those ones that doesn't make me feel 1 way or the other. It seems like Prince put a lot of effort n2 it so I wonder if its 1 of those genius moments that escapes me. Is this any1's favorite jam?

.

Your wife sounds like a very reasonable and smart lady. I love the gold standard because it's funky and free and lets you know it's OK to just dance and have fun no matter who you are.
[Edited 7/6/17 13:37pm]
Take a Bath Baby!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 07/06/17 4:19pm

Spanky

avatar

IstenSzek said:

"lemme get in there...all the way in..."

tonk


love that song music smile






GOOD GAWD!
I wish u heaven
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 07/06/17 4:20pm

Spanky

avatar

OrangeClock said:

great track.



the addition of the bob george-esque outro is the icing on the cake, and it segues perfectly into U Know


nod
I wish u heaven
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Gold Standard