independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 27th Jun 2019 3:32am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > My Chocolate Surprise ??
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/22/17 5:34pm

gandorb

My Chocolate Surprise ??

After prince died, I decided to complete his official album discography in my collection, as I didn't have the club releases and the releases after Planet Earth. I purposely got The Slaughterhouse and The Chocolate Invasion as the last two, as I was ambivalent about hearing them given the mostly negative comments I had heard about them. There was rarely much of a distinction made between the two releases. I first played The Slaughterhouse, and I was disappointed that it lived down to it's reputation. I wanted to give it a fair shake, so I looked for positive comments made about it and even asked Data Banks why he liked it and TCI so much. He mentioned something to the effect that they seemed to represent the essence of Prince. I tried listening three more times, with no improved appreciation. Yes, there were a few decent funk grooves but there were some almost unlistenable songs that totally destroyed the flow of the album for me. I decided to give it rest and go back to all the P music I love! I was avoidant of playing The Chocolate Invasion, as I didn't want my final first listen to one of Prince's official releases to be one of my worst. Seeking closure, I finally listened to the Chocolate Invasion a couple of weeks ago. I was astounded to find out that I really liked it, and that I enjoyed the whole thing. I especially liked the first four songs, highlighted by the absolutely brilliant When I Lay My Hands On You. I had heard it on a boot, but really came to appreciate how it is a real masterpiece since I have had it on repeat lately. The mid section of the album has some filler but even there the raw fundamental funk of the first 4 songs is carried through. Finally, the ending with a lean yet funky version of The Dance and the wonderfully unique addition to his catalogue When I Lay My Hands On You finish the album on another high note. I could start to appreciate what Data Bank had perhaps was referring to: This album was mostly pure unvarnished funk that wasn't prettified for mass consumption. This does seem to be at least an important part of who Prince was.

I am curious about your views of The Chocolate Invasion, including when your first heard it (right after it was released to the club, since Prince died, etc.). Also, feel free to compare and contrast it with The Slaughterhouse. Thanks.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/22/17 5:44pm

paisleypark4

avatar

Tidal 2015 release[edit]

  1. "When Eye Lay My Hands on U" – 3:41
  2. "Judas Smile" – 6:33
  3. "Supercute" – 4:13
  4. "Underneath the Cream" – 3:59
  5. "My Medallion" – 5:07
  6. "Vavoom" – 4:35
  7. "High" – 5:05
  8. "Sexmesexmenot" – 5:40
  9. "Gamillah" – 3:09
  10. "U Make My Sun Shine" – 7:05

It's a decent release with some cool NPGMC releases especially High, Vavoom, Hands and my personal favorite Gamillah (which reminds me of Madhouse a little). Underneath the Cream is smooth and sexy "cell phone passprot and all your inhibitions spread out on the floor...." YES CHILD. I couldn't stand Supercute's chorus (cringeworthy). Judas Smile was not bad just too long. Sex Me Sex Me Not reminds me of Poom poom..album filler.

Slaughterhouse

  1. "Silicon" – 4:17
  2. "S&M Groove" – 5:10
  3. "Y Should Eye Do That When Eye Can Do This?" – 4:33
  4. "Golden Parachute" – 5:38
  5. "Hypnoparadise" – 6:05
  6. "Props 'n' Pounds" – 4:38
  7. "Northside" – 6:34
  8. "Peace" – 5:35
  9. "2045: Radical Man" – 6:34
  10. "The Daisy Chain" (featuring rap from David "DVS" Schwartz) – 6:13

This album was the more bland of the two. Silicon and Y Should I Do That could have made easy replacements on Chocolate Invasion. Golden Parachute is nice just drags after the four minute line. Same with Hypnoparadise. Dragged on after the interesting parts were done. In all fairness...Northside was best when he did it LIVE. It is funky as hell, but you would never be able to tell that on the album version.

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/22/17 5:51pm

Iamtheorg

avatar

"You really liked it, huh?"-Prince/Purple Rain

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/22/17 7:49pm

gandorb

paisleypark4 said:

Tidal 2015 release[edit]

  1. "When Eye Lay My Hands on U" – 3:41
  2. "Judas Smile" – 6:33
  3. "Supercute" – 4:13
  4. "Underneath the Cream" – 3:59
  5. "My Medallion" – 5:07
  6. "Vavoom" – 4:35
  7. "High" – 5:05
  8. "Sexmesexmenot" – 5:40
  9. "Gamillah" – 3:09
  10. "U Make My Sun Shine" – 7:05

It's a decent release with some cool NPGMC releases especially High, Vavoom, Hands and my personal favorite Gamillah (which reminds me of Madhouse a little). Underneath the Cream is smooth and sexy "cell phone passprot and all your inhibitions spread out on the floor...." YES CHILD. I couldn't stand Supercute's chorus (cringeworthy). Judas Smile was not bad just too long. Sex Me Sex Me Not reminds me of Poom poom..album filler.

Slaughterhouse

  1. "Silicon" – 4:17
  2. "S&M Groove" – 5:10
  3. "Y Should Eye Do That When Eye Can Do This?" – 4:33
  4. "Golden Parachute" – 5:38
  5. "Hypnoparadise" – 6:05
  6. "Props 'n' Pounds" – 4:38
  7. "Northside" – 6:34
  8. "Peace" – 5:35
  9. "2045: Radical Man" – 6:34
  10. "The Daisy Chain" (featuring rap from David "DVS" Schwartz) – 6:13

This album was the more bland of the two. Silicon and Y Should I Do That could have made easy replacements on Chocolate Invasion. Golden Parachute is nice just drags after the four minute line. Same with Hypnoparadise. Dragged on after the interesting parts were done. In all fairness...Northside was best when he did it LIVE. It is funky as hell, but you would never be able to tell that on the album version.

Interesting comments. I agree that the best cuts from both albums would have made a better album, which seems the case of so many of Prince's multi-album/simultaneous releases. Nonetheless, for me I would leave most of TCI intact except perhaps consider Nothside, Silicon. and/or 2045 Radical Man to replace Sex Me Sex Me Not and My Medallion. When did he play Northside live? I do hear the potential for a real jam in the album cut.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/23/17 4:57am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

gandorb said:

When did he play Northside live? I do hear the potential for a real jam in the album cut.

http://www.princevault.co...=Northside

[Edited 3/23/17 4:58am]

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/23/17 6:44am

partyup77

I've never really thought of these as "real" albums with a vision or any real cohesiveness - more of just a way to assemble highlights from NPGMC. The songs I love from these two - I have since I first heard them -- same with the tracks I dislike.

LOVE EM

"When Eye Lay My Hands on U" – 3:41

"Judas Smile" – 6:33

"Supercute" – 4:13

"Underneath the Cream" – 3:59

"Sexmesexmenot" – 5:40

"Gamillah" – 3:09

"U Make My Sun Shine" – 7:05

"Silicon" – 4:17

"S&M Groove" – 5:10

"Peace" – 5:35

"2045: Radical Man" – 6:34

"Hypnoparadise" – 6:05

HATE EM

"My Medallion" – 5:07

"Vavoom" – 4:35

"High" – 5:05

"Y Should Eye Do That When Eye Can Do This?" – 4:33

"Golden Parachute" – 5:38

"Props 'n' Pounds" – 4:38

Northside" – 6:34

"The Daisy Chain" (featuring rap from David "DVS" Schwartz) – 6:13

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/23/17 6:56am

alandail

A good chunk of these two albums was orignally planned to be relased as the album High.

  1. When Eye Lay My Hands On U
  2. Supercute
  3. Underneath The Cream
  4. Golden Parachute
  5. When Will We B Paid?
  6. The Daisy Chain
  7. Gamillah
  8. My Medallion
  9. U Make My Sun Shine
  10. High
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/23/17 7:37am

CherryMoon57

avatar

I never really thought so much of The Slaughterhouse myself but I remember being hooked at first listen on The Chocolate Invasion (which I discovered in the Summer of 2007). I still have shivers during each listen of 'When I lay My Hands On You', not just because it is that kind of song but also due to reminiscing that only a few days after hearing it for the first time, I actually found myself holding hands and dancing with Prince onstage (words will never do justice to the surrealness of it all!). So now, the sounds contained on this album instantly recreate and reflect the magical vibe of that incredible Summer.

In terms of song preference I would say that my strong favourite are the first five:


When I Lay My Hands On You

Judas Smile
Supercute

Underneath the Cream

Sex Me Sex Me Not

[Edited 3/23/17 7:50am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/23/17 7:44am

CherryMoon57

avatar

alandail said:

A good chunk of these two albums was orignally planned to be relased as the album High.

  1. When Eye Lay My Hands On U
  2. Supercute
  3. Underneath The Cream
  4. Golden Parachute
  5. When Will We B Paid?
  6. The Daisy Chain
  7. Gamillah
  8. My Medallion
  9. U Make My Sun Shine
  10. High

I love this song even more than the original version... I think it would have fitted quite well on the Chocolate Invasion.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/23/17 7:55am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

The one bit of advice:

neither the chocolate invasion nor the Slaughterhouse (and C-Note or Xepectation) were released on CD. However, there are some that have made them as sell them at extremely high prices as "rare"

Same really goes for the "One Night Alone (Studio)" yes those were on CD but not very many. And I have seen them for sale as "Rare" but were fakes as well.

Being a die-hard civil rights champion,
Being a die-hard libertarian,
Sometimes I have to defend
that which I find distasteful.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/23/17 2:01pm

paisleypark4

avatar

OnlyNDaUsa said:

The one bit of advice:

neither the chocolate invasion nor the Slaughterhouse (and C-Note or Xepectation) were released on CD. However, there are some that have made them as sell them at extremely high prices as "rare"

Same really goes for the "One Night Alone (Studio)" yes those were on CD but not very many. And I have seen them for sale as "Rare" but were fakes as well.

They are on sale for purchase and download on Tidal for 9.99 thank god though. I hope no one buys the bootlegs when they will just be cd-r's. If they put it on vinyl..now..we talkin lol

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/23/17 3:06pm

gandorb

CherryMoon57 said:

I never really thought so much of The Slaughterhouse myself but I remember being hooked at first listen on The Chocolate Invasion (which I discovered in the Summer of 2007). I still have shivers during each listen of 'When I lay My Hands On You', not just because it is that kind of song but also due to reminiscing that only a few days after hearing it for the first time, I actually found myself holding hands and dancing with Prince onstage (words will never do justice to the surrealness of it all!). So now, the sounds contained on this album instantly recreate and reflect the magical vibe of that incredible Summer.

In terms of song preference I would say that my strong favourite are the first five:


When I Lay My Hands On You

Judas Smile
Supercute

Underneath the Cream

Sex Me Sex Me Not

[Edited 3/23/17 7:50am]

That has to be a wonderful association. When I read your posted account of that interaction I was not yet aware of the wonders of the song. Shivers indeed!

I agree with you about the strength of the beginning of the album. I think that's what hit me when I first heard it. I was ready to cover my ears and then the surprise to hear a series of strong songs to start the album. shocked

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/23/17 4:13pm

tish9311

I had a friend make me a copy of the Chocolate Invasion and I really liked it. I was debating getting it off of Tidal. Is is on any other service besides TIDAL?

Beautiful, Loved and Blessed

Thank You Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/24/17 6:35pm

paisleypark4

avatar

tish9311 said:

I had a friend make me a copy of the Chocolate Invasion and I really liked it. I was debating getting it off of Tidal. Is is on any other service besides TIDAL?

nope.

Discogs

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > My Chocolate Surprise ??