independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 28th Jan 2020 11:39pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Just discovered "Go"
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/13/17 4:52pm

MantuaPharoah

avatar

Just discovered "Go"

I thought I had heard everything. I've been a fan of all things Prince for 35 years, but only now have I discovered this unreleased boot.

Amazing song. It's automatically one of my fave unreleased cuts. I'm told it's from the Purple Rain era. I think it would have been amazing on either ATWIAD, or Sign o' the Times.

Beautiful cut.

Anymore insight or thoughts?
The public is squeezin' you kiddo. You'd better kick ass on your next album or else!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/13/17 4:56pm

SomeSoldier

It's been out for a while! It's not my favourite, but it has some moments of great beauty. I think I might like the song better if I got to hear it with pristine sound - there's something about the vocals that grates me, but I have the feeling it's to do more with the sound quality than with the vocals themselves...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/13/17 5:25pm

Shockedelicus

Apparently, Prince really dug "Go" and spent a lot of time on it, but there's no evidence of it being planned for an album.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/13/17 5:56pm

InwardJim

If it lost the spoken stuff over the intro, I'd dig it more. It's a slow burn.

Listen2Prince !!

U can listen to a different Prince project every week for a year! Sometimes U might have to double (or triple) up on related albums to make it fit, tho.

https://listen2prince.blogspot.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/13/17 6:10pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

From Princevault:

Go is an unreleased track recorded in early August 1985, at the Crosstown Circle Warehouse, Eden Prairie, MN, USA, with only Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman (during the same set of sessions as Splash, Empty Room, Sexual Suicide and My Sex). Prince worked on the track further in late October 1985, when bandmembers arrived in France for the America video shoot, although it was worked on in rehearsal, rather than in the studio.

Engineer Susan Rogers noted that Prince put a lot of time and effort into the track, and must have been seriously considering it for release, although it was not included on any known configuration of Parade or any other project. It is likely that the song was considered for the announced Prince and the Revolution album Roadhouse Garden in 1998/1999, but this is speculative. The track remains unreleased.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/13/17 8:06pm

bobgeorge77

TrivialPursuit said:

From Princevault:

Go is an unreleased track recorded in early August 1985, at the Crosstown Circle Warehouse, Eden Prairie, MN, USA, with only Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman (during the same set of sessions as Splash, Empty Room, Sexual Suicide and My Sex). Prince worked on the track further in late October 1985, when bandmembers arrived in France for the America video shoot, although it was worked on in rehearsal, rather than in the studio.

Engineer Susan Rogers noted that Prince put a lot of time and effort into the track, and must have been seriously considering it for release, although it was not included on any known configuration of Parade or any other project. It is likely that the song was considered for the announced Prince and the Revolution album Roadhouse Garden in 1998/1999, but this is speculative. The track remains unreleased.

I love this time period!! Is "my sex" out there? I am not familiar with this one....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/14/17 4:30am

mushmackalenta

Great song. Hopefully soon we'll get it in pristine condition. The leak from avfew years back is s little rough.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/14/17 7:54am

sulls

avatar

Definitely one of my favs!

"I like to watch."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/14/17 6:36pm

williamb610

Ohhh, Go....blah blah blah blah blah.

Prince: Go

Lisa and Wendy: Go

Prince: Go oh

Lisa and Wendy: Go

Prince: Go

Lisa and Wendy: Go

This is all I remember from the snippet I heard on a bootleg ages ago.

Come on, Nelson family. Release this one!!!!!!!!!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/14/17 6:42pm

bobgeorge77

williamb610 said:

Ohhh, Go....blah blah blah blah blah.

Prince: Go

Lisa and Wendy: Go

Prince: Go oh

Lisa and Wendy: Go

Prince: Go

Lisa and Wendy: Go

This is all I remember from the snippet I heard on a bootleg ages ago.

Come on, Nelson family. Release this one!!!!!!!!!!!

If u look, the whole song is out there...... lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/14/17 7:32pm

williamb610

bobgeorge77 said:

williamb610 said:

Ohhh, Go....blah blah blah blah blah.

Prince: Go

Lisa and Wendy: Go

Prince: Go oh

Lisa and Wendy: Go

Prince: Go

Lisa and Wendy: Go

This is all I remember from the snippet I heard on a bootleg ages ago.

Come on, Nelson family. Release this one!!!!!!!!!!!

If u look, the whole song is out there...... lol lol

Time to become Inspector Gadget and find this lost Prince song. Thanks Bobgeorge77!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/15/17 2:03pm

MantuaPharoah

avatar

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It has so much potential. I agree with one of the comments regarding the spoken intro. I'm also not crazy about the ending. But the groove aspect is pretty cool, as well as his prototype vulnerability.

Very cool boot!
The public is squeezin' you kiddo. You'd better kick ass on your next album or else!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/15/17 2:18pm

paisleypark4

avatar

I can see the potential in it too. It kinda drags and monotone in the middle. Would have been a nice b-side or something.

Actually thinking about it...."Splash" is kinda of a better re-creation of that sound from "Go"....

[Edited 3/15/17 14:19pm]

Download all the shit hop that you can for your kids, neices, nephews, and their friends also. That will prevent them from going out and buying it and will prevent some shit hop sales. Every little bit helps - Andy
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemus
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/16/17 5:37pm

williamb610

Found the whole song, on the usual spot.

I like it, all the way through.

It would have been a cool addition to "Around the World..." or "Parade".

I'm really digging it. Hopefully, Tyka and the rest of the Nelson's release it in some form or other.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/16/17 8:25pm

Adorecream

I love it, the lyrics in it, sound heavily of one of his fights with Susannah "Leave me alone with this broken heart". Classic Parade era out take. Pure genius and I love the reggae like beat to it.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/17/17 11:52am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Go

Splash
Adonis & Bathsheba

Sexual Suicide

.

Some Romance 1600 cuts have a similar feel to the above

there are some other unreleased stuff I cannot recall at the moment to include

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/17/17 7:06pm

purplepolitici
an

avatar

"Why'd u have 2 take ur love... n give it 2 another man!" Me n my Mom's fave line. The spoken intro is cute hmph!. I'll keep it as it is. Even those blips here n there don't really mess up the vibe. Good 1! smile

Fly like a dove from up above 🕊️
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/22/17 8:41am

MantuaPharoah

avatar

paisleypark4 said:

I can see the potential in it too. It kinda drags and monotone in the middle. Would have been a nice b-side or something.



Actually thinking about it...."Splash" is kinda of a better re-creation of that sound from "Go"....

[Edited 3/15/17 14:19pm]



I forgot about Splash. I dig that one too, but much prefer Go. Splash kinda prances along and is very "fantastical".

"Splashhhh... I'm under your powwwer... Splash... I could go on for hoooours...". Lol. I dig it, but for some reason it seems to make me want to do ballet. Lol. And I don't do ballet. Lol

Thanks for reminding me of that one.
The public is squeezin' you kiddo. You'd better kick ass on your next album or else!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/22/17 8:44am

MantuaPharoah

avatar

purplepolitician said:

"Why'd u have 2 take ur love... n give it 2 another man!" Me n my Mom's fave line. The spoken intro is cute hmph!. I'll keep it as it is. Even those blips here n there don't really mess up the vibe. Good 1! smile



My favorite part is "I don't wanna hear your lame excuses or reasons why... just go!!" Sounds like typical Prince being a brat. Lol

Great tune! Very enjoyable!!
The public is squeezin' you kiddo. You'd better kick ass on your next album or else!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Just discovered "Go"