independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 11th Dec 2019 8:29pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's Early Dance Training & More Re: Dance
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/15/16 11:17am

anangellooksdo
wn

Prince's Early Dance Training & More Re: Dance

I continue to be astonished at how much and how many people Prince fit into his one life. Great article.

http://m.startribune.com/...378179261/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/15/16 12:19pm

Astasheiks

avatar

Excellent article. Especially like:

"He not only wrote an extended version of his song “Thunder” from the album “Diamonds and Pearls” but also permitted use of his music free of charge for five years with no royalty expectations. It helped save the financially foundering company."

And more...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/15/16 1:10pm

gollygirl

avatar

Loved this, thanks for sharing biggrin

Thank you Prince for every note you left behind 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/15/16 2:13pm

LBrent

That's crazy cuz I saw this move and wondered cuz it looks so balletic (is that a word???)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/15/16 2:27pm

Dibblekins

LBrent said:

That's crazy cuz I saw this move and wondered cuz it looks so balletic (is that a word???)



That ^^^ is called an entrechat.

https://www.youtube.com/w...VhxpHgPTy8

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/15/16 2:44pm

anangellooksdo
wn

Dibblekins said:



LBrent said:


That's crazy cuz I saw this move and wondered cuz it looks so balletic (is that a word???)







That ^^^ is called an entrechat.

https://www.youtube.com/w...VhxpHgPTy8



He used that move to the end.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/15/16 2:49pm

LBrent

Thank you!

I never knew what it was called and I saw him do it pretty damned often in performances.

But to think about him training with dancers...I had to really think about that. That really was exciting to think of him not simply dancing and making up moves like someone does when partying in general.

I'm floored.

P in a leotard and ballet slippers???

I can't even...I need to lay down and reflect on that for realz.

eek

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/15/16 2:53pm

Dibblekins

LBrent said:

Thank you!

I never knew what it was called and I saw him do it pretty damned often in performances.

But to think about him training with dancers...I had to really think about that. That really was exciting to think of him not simply dancing and making up moves like someone does when partying in general.

I'm floored.

P in a leotard and ballet slippers???

I can't even...I need to lay down and reflect on that for realz.

eek


LMAO!!!

The article says he wore pedal pushers - you're alright... wink lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/15/16 3:09pm

morningsong

LBrent said:

Thank you!

I never knew what it was called and I saw him do it pretty damned often in performances.

But to think about him training with dancers...I had to really think about that. That really was exciting to think of him not simply dancing and making up moves like someone does when partying in general.

I'm floored.

P in a leotard and ballet slippers???

I can't even...I need to lay down and reflect on that for realz.

eek



lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/15/16 3:19pm

LBrent

I don't know what it's called but in one of the live concerts that I watched I saw P do a similar move that male ballet dancers do but it's to the side a bit.

I'm looking for an example on YouTube.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/15/16 4:53pm

Dibblekins

LBrent said:

I don't know what it's called but in one of the live concerts that I watched I saw P do a similar move that male ballet dancers do but it's to the side a bit.

I'm looking for an example on YouTube.


If you find it, let me know...I might still remember the ballet terminology!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/15/16 5:28pm

steakfinger

LBrent said:

P in a leotard and ballet slippers???

C'mon, we've all seen him in MUCH worse than that.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/15/16 6:30pm

HerecomethePur
pleYoda

Prince would have been a great jump roper!

LBrent said:

That's crazy cuz I saw this move and wondered cuz it looks so balletic (is that a word???)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/15/16 9:52pm

Anotherwontdar
e

avatar

I've always appreciated his dancing and professional and effortless mic moves. Then I watched Arsenio '91 recently...whoa!

Every now and then
There comes a time you must defend
Your right to die and live again --
And again, and again...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/15/16 10:20pm

LBrent

Dibblekins said:

LBrent said:

I don't know what it's called but in one of the live concerts that I watched I saw P do a similar move that male ballet dancers do but it's to the side a bit.

I'm looking for an example on YouTube.


If you find it, let me know...I might still remember the ballet terminology!

It's the side flutter leg thingy the prince does in Swan Lake.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/16/16 2:49am

PeteSilas

i always assumed he had some real training at some point but i'm pretty surprised he ever did ballet as a kid. the purple rain thing doesn't surprise me that much because he rapidly went from a guy who really just imitated the spastic moves of Mick Jagger to a real soul dancer. some of the stuff he did on tour are just amazing.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/16/16 2:52am

PeteSilas

also, it still kind of amazes me how many people describe him as pathologically shy when the people that worked with him knew him as a high strung autocrat who wouldn't hesitate to jump on their cases if shit wasn't right. Kinda a split personality.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/16/16 3:17am

briant

excerpt:

"While growing up, Prince had ballet training through an initiative called the Urban Arts Program. It connected students “who didn’t fit into the traditional academic world” with local arts institutions, explained Minnesota Dance Theatre (MDT) artistic director Lise Houlton.

..

Prince took classes with MDT in Dinkytown. Houlton’s mother, company founder Loyce Houlton, became a mentor and close friend.

“He was very good to her,” said Lise. “He would bring her out to Los Angeles for film premieres. They shared stories and dance information. He would bring people who influenced him to the sound checks of his performances, which were even more interesting than the shows. He really used everything he experienced in those dance classes.”

She continued with a catch in her voice, “It makes me so proud of my mother.”

..

Prince’s loyalty to Loyce continued as his star rose. He headlined a benefit concert for MDT at First Avenue in 1983 that rang up $23,000 for the company’s coffers. The evening included choreography by Loyce to “D.M.S.R.” while Prince made history with the first live performance of his anthem “Purple Rain.”

..

During this period Prince used the MDT studios at Hennepin Center for the Arts to rehearse for his film debut. John Command, an actor and choreographer with a résumé stretching from Hollywood to the Chanhassen Dinner Theatres, was teaching jazz dance at MDT when Loyce called with a unique offer."

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/16/16 6:22am

Lovejunky

avatar

He does this Move in Gett Off..Holding his guitar wearing his yellow Buttless lace number...

I dont know how to make gifs otherwise I would..

HerecomethePurpleYoda said:

Prince would have been a great jump roper!

LBrent said:

That's crazy cuz I saw this move and wondered cuz it looks so balletic (is that a word???)

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 11/16/16 6:22am

Lovejunky

avatar

Learning something new about him every day

briant said:

excerpt:

"While growing up, Prince had ballet training through an initiative called the Urban Arts Program. It connected students “who didn’t fit into the traditional academic world” with local arts institutions, explained Minnesota Dance Theatre (MDT) artistic director Lise Houlton.

..

Prince took classes with MDT in Dinkytown. Houlton’s mother, company founder Loyce Houlton, became a mentor and close friend.

“He was very good to her,” said Lise. “He would bring her out to Los Angeles for film premieres. They shared stories and dance information. He would bring people who influenced him to the sound checks of his performances, which were even more interesting than the shows. He really used everything he experienced in those dance classes.”

She continued with a catch in her voice, “It makes me so proud of my mother.”

..

Prince’s loyalty to Loyce continued as his star rose. He headlined a benefit concert for MDT at First Avenue in 1983 that rang up $23,000 for the company’s coffers. The evening included choreography by Loyce to “D.M.S.R.” while Prince made history with the first live performance of his anthem “Purple Rain.”

..

During this period Prince used the MDT studios at Hennepin Center for the Arts to rehearse for his film debut. John Command, an actor and choreographer with a résumé stretching from Hollywood to the Chanhassen Dinner Theatres, was teaching jazz dance at MDT when Loyce called with a unique offer."

“LOVE IS THE MASTERPLAN”
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 11/16/16 8:20am

LBrent

steakfinger said:

LBrent said:

P in a leotard and ballet slippers???

C'mon, we've all seen him in MUCH worse than that.

Worse?

Oh, no honey. That's very sexy!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 11/16/16 8:50am

dandan

Literally everyone who knew him, even briefly, mentions his work ethic. Prince got to where he was by working for it. He wasn't talented, he was obsessed.

I got two sides... and they're both friends.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 11/16/16 9:01am

Dibblekins

LBrent said:

Dibblekins said:


If you find it, let me know...I might still remember the ballet terminology!

It's the side flutter leg thingy the prince does in Swan Lake.


You're going to have to give me a bit more than that, lol!

Video footage of Prince doing the 'side flutter leg thingy'???

biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 11/16/16 11:17am

LBrent

Dibblekins said:

LBrent said:

It's the side flutter leg thingy the prince does in Swan Lake.


You're going to have to give me a bit more than that, lol!

Video footage of Prince doing the 'side flutter leg thingy'???

biggrin

I'm looking. It would help if I remember where I saw him do it. I'm thinking it was Lovesexy cuz he had no facial hair and long hair and was with the Game Boyz.

This first move they're doing is sorta what he did:

https://youtu.be/T-VHt1Mr3Y0?t=179

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 11/16/16 12:15pm

Dibblekins

LBrent said:

Dibblekins said:


You're going to have to give me a bit more than that, lol!

Video footage of Prince doing the 'side flutter leg thingy'???

biggrin

I'm looking. It would help if I remember where I saw him do it. I'm thinking it was Lovesexy cuz he had no facial hair and long hair and was with the Game Boyz.

This first move they're doing is sorta what he did:

https://youtu.be/T-VHt1Mr3Y0?t=179


Well, depending on how many 'flutters', he's doing, I THINK that might be a cabriole (or a double cabriole)...

Check it out on YT and see what you reckon - and then report back, lol!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 11/16/16 12:43pm

LBrent

Dibblekins said:

LBrent said:

I'm looking. It would help if I remember where I saw him do it. I'm thinking it was Lovesexy cuz he had no facial hair and long hair and was with the Game Boyz.

This first move they're doing is sorta what he did:

https://youtu.be/T-VHt1Mr3Y0?t=179


Well, depending on how many 'flutters', he's doing, I THINK that might be a cabriole (or a double cabriole)...

Check it out on YT and see what you reckon - and then report back, lol!

Yes!

Here's an example, finally:

https://youtu.be/fsaEHnjy7r0?t=3

Now please understand, P's weren't as high or as dramatic, but still unexpected and impressive to me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 11/16/16 1:20pm

Dibblekins

LBrent said:

Dibblekins said:


Well, depending on how many 'flutters', he's doing, I THINK that might be a cabriole (or a double cabriole)...

Check it out on YT and see what you reckon - and then report back, lol!

Yes!

Here's an example, finally:

https://youtu.be/fsaEHnjy7r0?t=3

Now please understand, P's weren't as high or as dramatic, but still unexpected and impressive to me.



OK - but now your task is to find Prince doing something along those lines - or we won't believe you... wink biggrin

.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 11/16/16 1:27pm

LBrent

Dibblekins said:



LBrent said:




Dibblekins said:




Well, depending on how many 'flutters', he's doing, I THINK that might be a cabriole (or a double cabriole)...

Check it out on YT and see what you reckon - and then report back, lol!




Yes!



Here's an example, finally:


https://youtu.be/fsaEHnjy7r0?t=3



Now please understand, P's weren't as high or as dramatic, but still unexpected and impressive to me.





OK - but now your task is to find Prince doing something along those lines - or we won't believe you... wink biggrin

.



I'm watching Rio 1991 right now, but I don't think it's this show. He looks right but the show I'm thinking of was in daylight.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 11/16/16 2:30pm

Dibblekins

LBrent said:

Dibblekins said:



OK - but now your task is to find Prince doing something along those lines - or we won't believe you... wink biggrin

.

I'm watching Rio 1991 right now, but I don't think it's this show. He looks right but the show I'm thinking of was in daylight.

It's doing MY head in now - I've watched countless videos of him dancing, and I don't see him doing that particular move!

Blast you, LB!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 11/16/16 4:24pm

LBrent

Dibblekins said:

LBrent said:

Dibblekins said: I'm watching Rio 1991 right now, but I don't think it's this show. He looks right but the show I'm thinking of was in daylight.

It's doing MY head in now - I've watched countless videos of him dancing, and I don't see him doing that particular move!

Blast you, LB!!!

Ok.

I was looking for one of the SOTT concerts when he's in the peach outfi, around when he and Cat dance he does a modified cabriolet (up & down instead of sideways and no leap, just a short jump). Still looking.

Couldn't find it, but I did find a leap, karate style kick and pirouette from Cork 1990:

https://youtu.be/xar1Yn5fdF4?t=885

Not sure if this is an entrechant or a cabriolet. What do you think?

https://youtu.be/R9E5N0MUypI?t=57

And here are everal Barishnicov style pirouettes:

https://youtu.be/WQxF17zYQfw?t=635

https://youtu.be/WQxF17zYQfw?t=749

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's Early Dance Training & More Re: Dance