independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 20th Jan 2020 9:53am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Phil Collins Not Dead Yet makes me morn the loss of Prince's autobiography.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 11/05/16 12:18pm

orionzdrm

Phil Collins Not Dead Yet makes me morn the loss of Prince's autobiography.

I don’t post much in the forums these days. I’ve long since given up the idea that my prose would amuse anyone more than me but something is troubling me so I thought this would be the appropriate place to write it down.

Last night I finished reading Phil Collins’ “Not Dead Yet” and instead of feeling fulfilled by his extremely personal and in depth story of his recollections of his life I found myself wondering what could have been. What would have Prince’s autobiography have told us about his perspective on his life? Would he have laid his soul bare and allowed us to see his warts and all like Collins’ book did, given us a by the numbers history lesson or would he have given us the PR image of what he thought we would have wanted to read? I guess with him passing and being so early into writing his memoirs we will never know. I will never be able to buy the book and audiobook and listen to his words tell his story from his perspective. That saddens me. There is still lots to get excited about in the future when it comes to vault music, tours and Mayte’s perspective on her time with him but getting that Open Book will not be one of them. I guess there are truly “lines we will never see.”

N2thelightIgomaywelive2loveGodandoneanother

Orion

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 11/05/16 12:35pm

PennyPurple

avatar

I was thinking about getting Phil's book myself. Is it worth a read?

Prince's book would have been amazing, but somehow I don't think that he would've laid it all out there. It probably would've been what we already know. I think Mayte's book will kinda gloss over things as well, but I'm still looking forward to reading it as well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 11/05/16 12:40pm

80tomato

I don't think Prince would have followed through with getting it published....he always said he didn't look back and maybe it would have been overwhelming...just my opinion

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 11/05/16 12:47pm

Chasing

There will be some good books to come,Mayte's being the most interesting of those connected directly to him and Alex Hahn's book definitely the one for us, the true fans, let's support both fully. I think Mayte will give a very personal account of their life together with a great deal of painful detail, but something very special for us. I actually think that those pages that Prince did write may well yet see the light.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 11/05/16 1:32pm

laurarichardso
n

80tomato said:

I don't think Prince would have followed through with getting it published....he always said he didn't look back and maybe it would have been overwhelming...just my opinion



-- Why would he have signed the deal if he did not want it published.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 11/05/16 1:35pm

FunkiestOne

avatar

80tomato said:

I don't think Prince would have followed through with getting it published....he always said he didn't look back and maybe it would have been overwhelming...just my opinion

.

He clearly changed his stance about "looking back" in the last couple of years. The Piano and Microphone tour was all about it. He talked about his past, talked about the 80s, talked about Vanity and Lisa and his father and much more.

.

The book would have been incredible and fascinating.

[Edited 11/5/16 13:36pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 11/05/16 2:02pm

1Sasha

I am reading Phil's book. He certainly doesn't leave anything out. My favorite musician autobiography is Keith Richards' - next is Eric Clapton's. Do you think Prince would have laid everything bare, or would he have written through the eyes of a JW, coloring his actions with spiritual overtones? I think that if an anthology is ever produced for Prince, then the completed pages should be included in that set.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 11/05/16 4:32pm

orionzdrm

PennyPurple said:

I was thinking about getting Phil's book myself. Is it worth a read?

Prince's book would have been amazing, but somehow I don't think that he would've laid it all out there. It probably would've been what we already know. I think Mayte's book will kinda gloss over things as well, but I'm still looking forward to reading it as well.

I enjoyed it. Well worth the money.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 11/05/16 5:07pm

80tomato

FunkiestOne said:

80tomato said:

I don't think Prince would have followed through with getting it published....he always said he didn't look back and maybe it would have been overwhelming...just my opinion

.

He clearly changed his stance about "looking back" in the last couple of years. The Piano and Microphone tour was all about it. He talked about his past, talked about the 80s, talked about Vanity and Lisa and his father and much more.

.

The book would have been incredible and fascinating.

[Edited 11/5/16 13:36pm]

Yes you are correct, I just feel it would have been a daunting task...there is so much there, but yeah it would have been a fantastic read!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 11/05/16 5:57pm

PennyPurple

avatar

orionzdrm said:

PennyPurple said:

I was thinking about getting Phil's book myself. Is it worth a read?

Prince's book would have been amazing, but somehow I don't think that he would've laid it all out there. It probably would've been what we already know. I think Mayte's book will kinda gloss over things as well, but I'm still looking forward to reading it as well.

I enjoyed it. Well worth the money.

Thank you. I will get it then.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 11/05/16 8:03pm

Elvie

avatar

I was one of the ones at the London book signing for Phil's autobiography (also a long time fan of his). He was part of my youth like prince, so I can totally get your thoughts. I think they were/are both very prolific and sensitive souls. Prince would have written a beautiful book. I hope we get to read some of it one day.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 11/05/16 8:26pm

wonder505

Chasing said:

There will be some good books to come,Mayte's being the most interesting of those connected directly to him and Alex Hahn's book definitely the one for us, the true fans, let's support both fully. I think Mayte will give a very personal account of their life together with a great deal of painful detail, but something very special for us. I actually think that those pages that Prince did write may well yet see the light.


Not sure what defines a "true" fan but I will not be supporting Alex Hahn's book. I do hope Prince's 50 pages will be published. I will cherish every word.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 11/06/16 3:20am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

laurarichardson said:

80tomato said:

I don't think Prince would have followed through with getting it published....he always said he didn't look back and maybe it would have been overwhelming...just my opinion

-- Why would he have signed the deal if he did not want it published.

.

Do we really need to go over the looooong list of people Prince signed deals with that he reneged upon? Let's ask Clive Davis, or the two(!) companies who were promised NPS, or the perfume maker, etc. etc. etc.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/09/16 4:32am

PURPLEIZED3121

BartVanHemelen said:

laurarichardson said:

80tomato said: -- Why would he have signed the deal if he did not want it published.

.

Do we really need to go over the looooong list of people Prince signed deals with that he reneged upon? Let's ask Clive Davis, or the two(!) companies who were promised NPS, or the perfume maker, etc. etc. etc.

or should we go over the looooong list of charities, people in his circle, other musicians etc that he promised to help financially & otherwise & delivered big style.

Listen BVH..business is business. I just signed 2 deals & totally reneged on them..the reason is that promises made were broken & goal posts shifted. From the outside I may look bad BUT I did the right thing for me at the time & the other parties damn well knew that. Prince was no dummy & blew with the wind..if you went into business with him it was a cert that things would change. We loved him because of his unpredictability..there was nver a dull moment.

I strongly suspect if you were in charge of his career we would have got another corporate Bruno Mars!

Your lack of empathy across his passing is truly disturbing..do you actually give a rats ass that he has died?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/09/16 4:52am

RicoN

avatar

orionzdrm said:

I don’t post much in the forums these days. I’ve long since given up the idea that my prose would amuse anyone more than me but something is troubling me so I thought this would be the appropriate place to write it down.

Last night I finished reading Phil Collins’ “Not Dead Yet” and instead of feeling fulfilled by his extremely personal and in depth story of his recollections of his life I found myself wondering what could have been. What would have Prince’s autobiography have told us about his perspective on his life? Would he have laid his soul bare and allowed us to see his warts and all like Collins’ book did, given us a by the numbers history lesson or would he have given us the PR image of what he thought we would have wanted to read? I guess with him passing and being so early into writing his memoirs we will never know. I will never be able to buy the book and audiobook and listen to his words tell his story from his perspective. That saddens me. There is still lots to get excited about in the future when it comes to vault music, tours and Mayte’s perspective on her time with him but getting that Open Book will not be one of them. I guess there are truly “lines we will never see.”

N2thelightIgomaywelive2loveGodandoneanother

Orion

Phil Collins notr dead makes me mourn Phil Collins not being dead.

Hamburger, Hot Dog, Root Beer, Pussy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/09/16 6:02am

CAL3

RicoN said:

orionzdrm said:

I don’t post much in the forums these days. I’ve long since given up the idea that my prose would amuse anyone more than me but something is troubling me so I thought this would be the appropriate place to write it down.

Last night I finished reading Phil Collins’ “Not Dead Yet” and instead of feeling fulfilled by his extremely personal and in depth story of his recollections of his life I found myself wondering what could have been. What would have Prince’s autobiography have told us about his perspective on his life? Would he have laid his soul bare and allowed us to see his warts and all like Collins’ book did, given us a by the numbers history lesson or would he have given us the PR image of what he thought we would have wanted to read? I guess with him passing and being so early into writing his memoirs we will never know. I will never be able to buy the book and audiobook and listen to his words tell his story from his perspective. That saddens me. There is still lots to get excited about in the future when it comes to vault music, tours and Mayte’s perspective on her time with him but getting that Open Book will not be one of them. I guess there are truly “lines we will never see.”

N2thelightIgomaywelive2loveGodandoneanother

Orion

Phil Collins notr dead makes me mourn Phil Collins not being dead.

.

That's a fucked up thing to say.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/09/16 10:55am

PURPLEIZED3121

CAL3 said:

RicoN said:

Phil Collins notr dead makes me mourn Phil Collins not being dead.

.

That's a fucked up thing to say.

isn't it just..comments like that say a lot about the OP. confused

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/10/16 1:52pm

orionzdrm

PURPLEIZED3121 said:

CAL3 said:

.

That's a fucked up thing to say.

isn't it just..comments like that say a lot about the OP. confused

I wish him heaven.... Even if sometimes it would be more fun to send them other places. It was ment as a joke so no harm no foul.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 11/10/16 2:26pm

dalsh327

I got the audiobook with him narrating.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Phil Collins Not Dead Yet makes me morn the loss of Prince's autobiography.