independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 23rd Feb 2020 3:39pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Why did Prince not do Glastonbury?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/22/16 1:01pm

amatthews

Why did Prince not do Glastonbury?

Can someone clarify if he didnt because it was a commercial venture, is that why he choose to do the Hop Farm, superb gig they must have been gutted!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/22/16 1:15pm

Genesia

avatar

Rumor has it that he was was negotiating an appearance this year at the time he died.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/22/16 1:55pm

amatthews

Yes but that's been said every year for the past 8 year!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/22/16 2:01pm

Guitarhero

Michael Eavis:

Prince was close to playing the Pyramid Stage a couple of times. How does it feel to know that will never happen?

Oh, it's gutting to be honest. We were so shocked and sad. It's been so close to happening for the last three years. A couple of times it's been confirmed and then not happened. It's really disappointing that he hasn't played here but it's also, obviously, a huge loss to music because he was an incredible force. Just phenomenal. There was no-one else like him on the planet.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/22/16 2:39pm

jjam

It may well be owing to there not being much money on the table. Prince got a huge fee for playing Hop Farm.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/22/16 5:45pm

suomynona

avatar

Via the Google Custom Search bar in the upper right hand corner of every page on this website: https://goo.gl/72AFIQ

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/23/16 8:05am

Militant

avatar

moderator

The problem with Glastonbury - and I have performed there twice myself - is that the tickets all get sold before the headliners are even announced.

If Prince had agreed to do it, none of us here would have been able to go unless we had already planned to go before it was announced he would be playing.

I think Prince preferred to play to his own fans rather than a group of middle class hipsters who wouldn't know anything beyond Purple Rain, Kiss and When Doves Cry.

By contrast, when I saw him at Hop Farm, the place was jampacked with *actual* fans. Even though I travelled there on my own, I ended up seeing at least 30 people that i already knew there! And of course tons of orgers were in attendance.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/23/16 8:24am

percy28

While 3rd eye girl where in Britain I managed to ask his road crew this question.
They all said the same thing...
He was angry that the glasto promoters use his name before he reached an agreement to sign a contract with them.
I mentioned that glasto sells out regardless of the headliner, they all laughed and said he had this happen to him on several occasions and its prince we are talking about.
It wouldn't of happened this year either .
He set his own rules , totally understandable to me although a shame he never performed.
Hope this answers your question
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/23/16 10:08am

jjam

Kind of an obvious reason why it wouldn't have happened this year wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/23/16 10:23am

youngyosh

avatar

He was scheduled to headline Glastonbury on Sunday night in 2014 & 2015, chose not to for reasons that have been previously discussed ad nauseam..... and was replaced by Kasabian and The Who respectively.

\o/\o/ ° The Breakdown = Best Prince song for 20 years
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/23/16 11:55am

Seandsky

I have a soft spot for glastonbury. Always thought he would appear there eventually and show all the other 'headliners' how its done. So sad it will never happen. Not sure how I feel about it this year...still struggling a bit with listening to music...all seems a bit second rate with Prince gone. I will snap out of that feeling its just taking longer than I thought.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/23/16 2:28pm

amatthews

percy28 said:

While 3rd eye girl where in Britain I managed to ask his road crew this question.
They all said the same thing...
He was angry that the glasto promoters use his name before he reached an agreement to sign a contract with them.
I mentioned that glasto sells out regardless of the headliner, they all laughed and said he had this happen to him on several occasions and its prince we are talking about.
It wouldn't of happened this year either .
He set his own rules , totally understandable to me although a shame he never performed.
Hope this answers your question

Thank you everyone for that now I get it good ol Prince always stood up for what he believed in! We need more like him.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/23/16 2:41pm

aiden

avatar

Militant said:

The problem with Glastonbury - and I have performed there twice myself - is that the tickets all get sold before the headliners are even announced.



If Prince had agreed to do it, none of us here would have been able to go unless we had already planned to go before it was announced he would be playing.



I think Prince preferred to play to his own fans rather than a group of middle class hipsters who wouldn't know anything beyond Purple Rain, Kiss and When Doves Cry.



By contrast, when I saw him at Hop Farm, the place was jampacked with *actual* fans. Even though I travelled there on my own, I ended up seeing at least 30 people that i already knew there! And of course tons of orgers were in attendance.




Hop farm was absolutely amazing and better than glasto could have ever been because of the amount of real fans as you say... I got so sucked into the rumours for prince coming that year that I bought tickets and I was gutted it didn't happen but then a couple of weeks later I was at Hop farm.
"Still Crazy 4 Coco Rock"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/23/16 2:59pm

Genesia

avatar

aiden said:

Militant said:

The problem with Glastonbury - and I have performed there twice myself - is that the tickets all get sold before the headliners are even announced.

If Prince had agreed to do it, none of us here would have been able to go unless we had already planned to go before it was announced he would be playing.

I think Prince preferred to play to his own fans rather than a group of middle class hipsters who wouldn't know anything beyond Purple Rain, Kiss and When Doves Cry.

By contrast, when I saw him at Hop Farm, the place was jampacked with *actual* fans. Even though I travelled there on my own, I ended up seeing at least 30 people that i already knew there! And of course tons of orgers were in attendance.

Hop farm was absolutely amazing and better than glasto could have ever been because of the amount of real fans as you say... I got so sucked into the rumours for prince coming that year that I bought tickets and I was gutted it didn't happen but then a couple of weeks later I was at Hop farm.


Oh, I don't know. He played Coachella. Which is upper-class hipsters, but still...

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/23/16 3:05pm

jjam

amatthews said:

percy28 said:
While 3rd eye girl where in Britain I managed to ask his road crew this question. They all said the same thing... He was angry that the glasto promoters use his name before he reached an agreement to sign a contract with them. I mentioned that glasto sells out regardless of the headliner, they all laughed and said he had this happen to him on several occasions and its prince we are talking about. It wouldn't of happened this year either . He set his own rules , totally understandable to me although a shame he never performed. Hope this answers your question
Thank you everyone for that now I get it good ol Prince always stood up for what he believed in! We need more like him.

Plus the astronomical Hop Farm fee helped...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Why did Prince not do Glastonbury?