independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > certain website down -source for leaks
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #90 posted 06/15/16 7:13am

Revolution81

avatar

That site was not a "source for leaks". I was there from near enough day 1 and the only thing I saw posted there that i hadn't seen elsewhere first was the Holy River Remix.

toshi said:

It's a well-known fact now that one of the people here is responsible for bringing the site down. He and some other dumbasses shared tons of official major label albums on the site, no wonder it got shut down. Everything was cool, until those noobs came.

Fucking amateurs.

Some of the former members have set up a new place and those guys are obviously not invited.

How is it a well known fact? There was no moderation on there since 21/04, so the owner obviously gave up on it and allowed it to descend into a free for all. How do u know he didnt just pull the plug himself?

My fathers got a shotgun...I hope he doesn't use it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #91 posted 06/15/16 7:47am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Revolution81 said:

That site was not a "source for leaks". I was there from near enough day 1 and the only thing I saw posted there that i hadn't seen elsewhere first was the Holy River Remix.

toshi said:

It's a well-known fact now that one of the people here is responsible for bringing the site down. He and some other dumbasses shared tons of official major label albums on the site, no wonder it got shut down. Everything was cool, until those noobs came.

Fucking amateurs.

Some of the former members have set up a new place and those guys are obviously not invited.

How is it a well known fact? There was no moderation on there since 21/04, so the owner obviously gave up on it and allowed it to descend into a free for all. How do u know he didnt just pull the plug himself?


I think this is a good point. There was no moderation and no response from the admin.


I participated quite a bit in one of the suspected offending threads that got out of hand. As it got out of control several of us tried to contact the admin for guidance, to no avail. Some of us even deleted our own links.

Hopefully this new site that I assume I will not be invited to will clearly post rules and have moderation & admin support to prevent what happened.


The site was also too easily found with any search engine... perhaps that had more to do with it's closure than anything else.



Fauci is a liar.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #92 posted 06/15/16 8:10am

Revolution81

avatar

djThunderfunk said:

Revolution81 said:

That site was not a "source for leaks". I was there from near enough day 1 and the only thing I saw posted there that i hadn't seen elsewhere first was the Holy River Remix.

How is it a well known fact? There was no moderation on there since 21/04, so the owner obviously gave up on it and allowed it to descend into a free for all. How do u know he didnt just pull the plug himself?


I think this is a good point. There was no moderation and no response from the admin.


I participated quite a bit in one of the suspected offending threads that got out of hand. As it got out of control several of us tried to contact the admin for guidance, to no avail. Some of us even deleted our own links.

Hopefully this new site that I assume I will not be invited to will clearly post rules and have moderation & admin support to prevent what happened.


The site was also too easily found with any search engine... perhaps that had more to do with it's closure than anything else.



I wouldn't worry about it. The google back door was brought to the attention of the owner on numerous occassions, as far back as last year.

As for the official/associated content...like that would make any difference to web sherriff or whoever...there was a whole section devoted to that kind of stuff on the non public part of the forum anyway

My fathers got a shotgun...I hope he doesn't use it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #93 posted 06/15/16 8:29am

djThunderfunk

avatar

Revolution81 said:

djThunderfunk said:


I think this is a good point. There was no moderation and no response from the admin.


I participated quite a bit in one of the suspected offending threads that got out of hand. As it got out of control several of us tried to contact the admin for guidance, to no avail. Some of us even deleted our own links.

Hopefully this new site that I assume I will not be invited to will clearly post rules and have moderation & admin support to prevent what happened.


The site was also too easily found with any search engine... perhaps that had more to do with it's closure than anything else.



I wouldn't worry about it. The google back door was brought to the attention of the owner on numerous occassions, as far back as last year.

As for the official/associated content...like that would make any difference to web sherriff or whoever...there was a whole section devoted to that kind of stuff on the non public part of the forum anyway


Thanks. I would hate to think that I unknowingly broke protocol. Your comments are appreciated. wink

Fauci is a liar.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #94 posted 06/15/16 4:01pm

Marrk

avatar

Revolution81 said:

djThunderfunk said:


I think this is a good point. There was no moderation and no response from the admin.


I participated quite a bit in one of the suspected offending threads that got out of hand. As it got out of control several of us tried to contact the admin for guidance, to no avail. Some of us even deleted our own links.

Hopefully this new site that I assume I will not be invited to will clearly post rules and have moderation & admin support to prevent what happened.


The site was also too easily found with any search engine... perhaps that had more to do with it's closure than anything else.



I wouldn't worry about it. The google back door was brought to the attention of the owner on numerous occassions, as far back as last year.

As for the official/associated content...like that would make any difference to web sherriff or whoever...there was a whole section devoted to that kind of stuff on the non public part of the forum anyway

It's happened in the past too. I had to implore someone who named another site on one of their posts here to edit their post to remove that sites name.

.

[Edited 6/15/16 16:02pm]

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #95 posted 06/15/16 7:16pm

toshi

djThunderfunk said:

Revolution81 said:

That site was not a "source for leaks". I was there from near enough day 1 and the only thing I saw posted there that i hadn't seen elsewhere first was the Holy River Remix.

How is it a well known fact? There was no moderation on there since 21/04, so the owner obviously gave up on it and allowed it to descend into a free for all. How do u know he didnt just pull the plug himself?


I think this is a good point. There was no moderation and no response from the admin.


I participated quite a bit in one of the suspected offending threads that got out of hand. As it got out of control several of us tried to contact the admin for guidance, to no avail. Some of us even deleted our own links.

Hopefully this new site that I assume I will not be invited to will clearly post rules and have moderation & admin support to prevent what happened.


The site was also too easily found with any search engine... perhaps that had more to do with it's closure than anything else.



>> How is it a well known fact? There was no moderation on there since 21/04, so the owner obviously gave up on it and allowed it to descend into a free for all. How do u know he didnt just pull the plug himself?

@Revolution81

Those are just your assumptions. The owner appeared recently and expressed his dismay for the site's shutdown. There are some other technicalities that don't need to be detailed here, but we know for sure that the owner didn't "obviously gave up on it and allowed it to descend into a free for all."

@djthunderfunk

I beg to differ. That's not really a good point. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but it's an unwritten rule and basic common sense to never share official releases, especially major record labels releases. I mean, Celine Dion? Come on! The fact that you guys were aware of the site's backdoor issue in certain sub-forums makes it even worse. Thanks to that stupid thread on the one of the problematic sub-forums, the real goldmine...the restricted, longtime members only forums also disappeared. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

The place is just not about files, it's a community where like-minded P fans gather and talk. So yes, losing the place over selfish, mindless sharing, SUCK. I can still understand (although I don't condone it) the sharing of obscure/oop/unrleased stuff like St. Paul's few CD-R albums or maybe Taja Sevelle's demo, but sharing the entire Celine Dion's Best Buy dump bin album for that one song? That's just plain dumb.

It's probably bound to happen, but it could've stayed much longer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #96 posted 06/15/16 8:03pm

djThunderfunk

avatar

I don't remember Celine's album being posted by anyone, but, points taken.

Still, minimal moderation could easily have prevented the situation. It was requested very early in that thread, long before things got out of hand.

It seems like to me the thread in question is not the sole reason the site is gone. If I'm wrong, sorry for my participation.


Fauci is a liar.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #97 posted 06/15/16 9:18pm

ForceofNature

Revolution81 said:

That site was not a "source for leaks". I was there from near enough day 1 and the only thing I saw posted there that i hadn't seen elsewhere first was the Holy River Remix.

Although by "source for leaks" I think they just mean that it is where to go for leaked material reliably, not neccesarily the "source of the leaks"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #98 posted 06/15/16 9:25pm

toshi

djThunderfunk said:

I don't remember Celine's album being posted by anyone, but, points taken.

Still, minimal moderation could easily have prevented the situation. It was requested very early in that thread, long before things got out of hand.

It seems like to me the thread in question is not the sole reason the site is gone. If I'm wrong, sorry for my participation.


I'm not blaming you, I understand that you have taken some steps to mitigate possible issues. If anything, it is the thread starter (I no longer remember who, something with insane) who's probably more responsible than anyone. I was told that one of the guys specifically reminded him about that particular thread and kindly asked him to delete it (it only takes one click) but he ignored the gentle reminder, and now here we are. The sharing of HD tracks stuff didn't help either (talk about noobsness of the highest degree).

Some people go to any length to get a few e-peen strokes here and there.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #99 posted 06/15/16 9:25pm

Revolution81

avatar

toshi said:

djThunderfunk said:



@Revolution81

Those are just your assumptions. The owner appeared recently and expressed his dismay for the site's shutdown. There are some other technicalities that don't need to be detailed here, but we know for sure that the owner didn't "obviously gave up on it and allowed it to descend into a free for all."

@djthunderfunk

I beg to differ. That's not really a good point. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but it's an unwritten rule and basic common sense to never share official releases, especially major record labels releases. I mean, Celine Dion? Come on! The fact that you guys were aware of the site's backdoor issue in certain sub-forums makes it even worse. Thanks to that stupid thread on the one of the problematic sub-forums, the real goldmine...the restricted, longtime members only forums also disappeared. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

The place is just not about files, it's a community where like-minded P fans gather and talk. So yes, losing the place over selfish, mindless sharing, SUCK. I can still understand (although I don't condone it) the sharing of obscure/oop/unrleased stuff like St. Paul's few CD-R albums or maybe Taja Sevelle's demo, but sharing the entire Celine Dion's Best Buy dump bin album for that one song? That's just plain dumb.

It's probably bound to happen, but it could've stayed much longer.

You can spin it anyway you want, bottom line is the sites days were numbered once the owner stopped bothering with it!

And your "unwritten rule" is more rubbish. I seem to recall people asking about the moral issue when Princes ENTIRE hdtracks releases were posted, and the owner himself said something along the lines of "its ok, anything goes as we are under the rader here"...even though he knew that wasnt true lol

Things change, nothing lasts forever, quit trying to blame others for that

My fathers got a shotgun...I hope he doesn't use it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #100 posted 06/15/16 9:48pm

gold31

avatar

I was there from the beginning as well. I appreciated the site, even with the controversy of that one particular thread. I recall a discussion in the thread as to whether or not to put certain albums up. I think there was a notion that, if the album was still in print (something you can order from somewhere like Amazon), then there may be a risk to putting it up. I'm sorry to see the site go, but I am grateful for those who made stuff available. I would love to be a member again of any new site created. When Prince passed, there was an overwhelming sea of emotion to share his music, so some stuff may have been put up that could've drawn attention. But if Prince hadn't passed, that thread wouldn't have happened, at least like that. I don't know if that had anything to do with the site's disappearance, but if so, I willing to look at it as an unfortunate thing that happened due to someone very close to all of us having died. Maybe everyone can try again and improve on reducing the risk from the previous site.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #101 posted 06/16/16 2:00am

toshi

Revolution81 said:

toshi said:

@Revolution81

Those are just your assumptions. The owner appeared recently and expressed his dismay for the site's shutdown. There are some other technicalities that don't need to be detailed here, but we know for sure that the owner didn't "obviously gave up on it and allowed it to descend into a free for all."

@djthunderfunk

I beg to differ. That's not really a good point. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but it's an unwritten rule and basic common sense to never share official releases, especially major record labels releases. I mean, Celine Dion? Come on! The fact that you guys were aware of the site's backdoor issue in certain sub-forums makes it even worse. Thanks to that stupid thread on the one of the problematic sub-forums, the real goldmine...the restricted, longtime members only forums also disappeared. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

The place is just not about files, it's a community where like-minded P fans gather and talk. So yes, losing the place over selfish, mindless sharing, SUCK. I can still understand (although I don't condone it) the sharing of obscure/oop/unrleased stuff like St. Paul's few CD-R albums or maybe Taja Sevelle's demo, but sharing the entire Celine Dion's Best Buy dump bin album for that one song? That's just plain dumb.

It's probably bound to happen, but it could've stayed much longer.

You can spin it anyway you want, bottom line is the sites days were numbered once the owner stopped bothering with it!

And your "unwritten rule" is more rubbish. I seem to recall people asking about the moral issue when Princes ENTIRE hdtracks releases were posted, and the owner himself said something along the lines of "its ok, anything goes as we are under the rader here"...even though he knew that wasnt true lol

Things change, nothing lasts forever, quit trying to blame others for that

LOL, fucking white knights. Keep your shitty viewpoint and tired cliches to yourself. You're outside the club anyway now, so your opinion don't matter. Ciao.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #102 posted 06/16/16 2:47am

Revolution81

avatar

toshi said:



Revolution81 said:




toshi said:




@Revolution81



Those are just your assumptions. The owner appeared recently and expressed his dismay for the site's shutdown. There are some other technicalities that don't need to be detailed here, but we know for sure that the owner didn't "obviously gave up on it and allowed it to descend into a free for all."



@djthunderfunk



I beg to differ. That's not really a good point. I'm not trying to throw anyone under the bus, but it's an unwritten rule and basic common sense to never share official releases, especially major record labels releases. I mean, Celine Dion? Come on! The fact that you guys were aware of the site's backdoor issue in certain sub-forums makes it even worse. Thanks to that stupid thread on the one of the problematic sub-forums, the real goldmine...the restricted, longtime members only forums also disappeared. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.



The place is just not about files, it's a community where like-minded P fans gather and talk. So yes, losing the place over selfish, mindless sharing, SUCK. I can still understand (although I don't condone it) the sharing of obscure/oop/unrleased stuff like St. Paul's few CD-R albums or maybe Taja Sevelle's demo, but sharing the entire Celine Dion's Best Buy dump bin album for that one song? That's just plain dumb.



It's probably bound to happen, but it could've stayed much longer.



You can spin it anyway you want, bottom line is the sites days were numbered once the owner stopped bothering with it!


And your "unwritten rule" is more rubbish. I seem to recall people asking about the moral issue when Princes ENTIRE hdtracks releases were posted, and the owner himself said something along the lines of "its ok, anything goes as we are under the rader here"...even though he knew that wasnt true lol


Things change, nothing lasts forever, quit trying to blame others for that




LOL, fucking white knights. Keep your shitty viewpoint and tired cliches to yourself. You're outside the club anyway now, so your opinion don't matter. Ciao.


Lmfao I'm outside the club? Well shhhh...it. What am I gonna do now?
Enjoy waiting for stuff to leak elsewhere so u can post them In your little boys club
Prick
[Edited 6/16/16 3:38am]
My fathers got a shotgun...I hope he doesn't use it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #103 posted 06/16/16 6:23am

djThunderfunk

avatar

toshi said:

djThunderfunk said:

I don't remember Celine's album being posted by anyone, but, points taken.

Still, minimal moderation could easily have prevented the situation. It was requested very early in that thread, long before things got out of hand.

It seems like to me the thread in question is not the sole reason the site is gone. If I'm wrong, sorry for my participation.


I'm not blaming you, I understand that you have taken some steps to mitigate possible issues. If anything, it is the thread starter (I no longer remember who, something with insane) who's probably more responsible than anyone. I was told that one of the guys specifically reminded him about that particular thread and kindly asked him to delete it (it only takes one click) but he ignored the gentle reminder, and now here we are. The sharing of HD tracks stuff didn't help either (talk about noobsness of the highest degree).

Some people go to any length to get a few e-peen strokes here and there.


I don't think it's fair to blame the OP of the thread. He only asked for some long OOP albums that are not available anywhere but eBay, and when it was suggested (by a single person that was not a moderator) that he delete the thread he tried to get guidance from the site admin to no avail and, like me, he also deleted all his uploads to the thread. As far as HD tracks, neither of us uploaded to that specific thread. He's not responsible for the site being gone.

[Edited 6/16/16 6:24am]

Fauci is a liar.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #104 posted 06/18/16 11:57am

jumptheysaid

pretty daft sharing official material imho, I see its been replaced though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #105 posted 06/18/16 2:39pm

hdtv00

Congrats on making me sign in for the first time in a decade.

Many of you are very naive , I mean seriously if you think they distinguish between offiical and bootleg in the quest to take stuff down you're kidding yourselves. Hell they took stuff of mine down simply becuase it had a picture he owned the rights to in it. It had no music , no nothing , no video a PICTURE he owned the rights to and they infinged me on it. I've dealt with these people before, it makes zero difference or not if it's official. It's Prince's copyrighted material, period end of story it will be dealt with all the same.

I was part of the group that vanished as well. I liked helping others and sharing my MASSIVE collection with others. Anyway it doesn't matter it'll go on and it'll continue to go on no matter what they shut down. It always has and always will. Peace gang.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #106 posted 06/18/16 7:57pm

MIInsane

toshi said:

djThunderfunk said:

I don't remember Celine's album being posted by anyone, but, points taken.

Still, minimal moderation could easily have prevented the situation. It was requested very early in that thread, long before things got out of hand.

It seems like to me the thread in question is not the sole reason the site is gone. If I'm wrong, sorry for my participation.


I'm not blaming you, I understand that you have taken some steps to mitigate possible issues. If anything, it is the thread starter (I no longer remember who, something with insane) who's probably more responsible than anyone. I was told that one of the guys specifically reminded him about that particular thread and kindly asked him to delete it (it only takes one click) but he ignored the gentle reminder, and now here we are. The sharing of HD tracks stuff didn't help either (talk about noobsness of the highest degree).

Some people go to any length to get a few e-peen strokes here and there.

That would be me. I started the thread asking for OOP stuff. I never asked for Celine Dion stuff, or anything that was still in print. As a matter of fact, someone requested the Celine Dion stuff and I stated that it was still in print and it was not wise to post it. Nothing that anyone who was actively involved in that sub-forum posted was still in print. Also, all of the stuff that I posted was OOP. I messaged a few people on the forum about deleting the thread. We all agreed that we would let our links expire and not repost the files, which we did.

The stuff that I was sure was going to get the forum shut down was the posting of HD rips and "remix albums". That was just suicide by post.

[Edited 6/18/16 19:59pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #107 posted 06/20/16 2:31am

Rebeljuice

Its closure probably had nothing to do with what was being shared and more to do with the gaping security holes which revealed the site's existence to the world. The owner of the site was not engaging with the concerns many of us raised about the security issue last year. Perhaps he wasnt engaging with the site at all at this point, I dont know. All I do know is that if the security hole was plugged up before thousands of casual fans hit Google looking for material after Prince died, the site would still be hidden away and very much alive now. Unfortunately, it exposed itself to an influx of unwanted traffic and it started shouting from the roof tops "Hey! Over here! Bootlegs galore!"...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #108 posted 06/20/16 6:34am

ETHERSPIN

avatar

Jon1967 said:

heres a good boot

[img:$uid]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/jonwolslau/jesus-use-me-1_zps96412dff.jpg[/img:$uid]

the one on the right is SURELY Stephen Fry's mother ? smile

** do something,before we're gone , and we're just a rock where a world went wrong...**
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #109 posted 06/20/16 6:54pm

luvsexy4all

keep posting...it was meant to be this way

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #110 posted 07/26/16 11:39pm

LooFlyMeDooKoo
ShooOoh

I was there too, so lucky to be a part of that "epic" thread! Thanks again to everybody involved. I still haven't gotten around to listening to everything yet, haha.

I agree, that prob wasn't the reason it was taken down, maybe a very very small percentage.

See you guys around cool

"I was only sixteen but I guess that's no excuse" - 1974
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 4 of 4 <1234
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > certain website down -source for leaks