independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 21st Aug 2019 1:40pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince to Receive Honorary Degree From University of Minnesota
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/10/16 12:22am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Prince to Receive Honorary Degree From University of Minnesota

The Purple One is about to become a Golden Gopher.

Read more about it here http://www.twincities.com...minnesota/


Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/10/16 12:29am

leftcoast

I think they should have done this before he passed away.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/10/16 1:30am

Lianachan

avatar

leftcoast said:

I think they should have done this before he passed away.

Reading about this a day or two after he died, it seems they'd been trying for years, but he wasn't interested. He'd finally agreed to it, and this was all going to happen this year if he'd lived too. It's not a posthumous tribute.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"" ~ Isaac Asimov
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/10/16 1:39am

wildgoldenhone
y

avatar

Does that mean he would have a degree without having to take classes and graduate? confuse

'M€€t m€ iπ ∆π°th€r W°®£d, $p∆©€, π J°y!' - FutureLover heart FutureQueen

Attn:
HI PRIVATE EYE
- plz contact L.k.g - thx


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/10/16 1:57am

langebleu

avatar

moderator

wildgoldenhoney said:

Does that mean he would have a degree without having to take classes and graduate? confuse


Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/...ary_degree

ALT+PLS+RTN: Pure as a pane of ice. It's a gift.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/10/16 2:06am

wonder505

This process takes months to complete so I am a little confident Prince knew about it. Bittersweet. sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/10/16 2:10am

wildgoldenhone
y

avatar

langebleu said:



wildgoldenhoney said:


Does that mean he would have a degree without having to take classes and graduate? confuse


Yes: https://en.wikipedia.org/...ary_degree


Awesome!

I mean, he could teach the professor a thing or 2. razz. Taking the class would be a waste of time.



.
[Edited 6/10/16 2:12am]

'M€€t m€ iπ ∆π°th€r W°®£d, $p∆©€, π J°y!' - FutureLover heart FutureQueen

Attn:
HI PRIVATE EYE
- plz contact L.k.g - thx


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/10/16 2:20am

Lianachan

avatar

wonder505 said:

This process takes months to complete so I am a little confident Prince knew about it. Bittersweet. sad



Yes, he did know about it. He'd finally agreed to it.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"" ~ Isaac Asimov
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/10/16 3:34am

captiveunicorn

I'm so glad this is happening, he truly deserves this honour. I'm surprised it had not happened to this point, but if it's true it was previously offered and declined it makes more sense to me. As an academic it is very appropriate to me to see him recognised and honoured in this way.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/10/16 4:11am

deerpath

The man needs nothing because he is Prince, but this is sweet. smile Now the university needs to offer courses on his music, his production skills, his leadership and philanthropy. They need to set up a Prince "Let's Go Crazy" fund to provide musical camps for children and youth that is focused on his genre--PRINCE.

Lease PP from his estate and use it to teach all facets of music creation, production and distribution. Use it to tell the story of his genius.

Prince is the genre. Prince is the culture.

"Hold on to your souls y'all. We got a long way to go. Thank you! We love y'all!"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/10/16 4:17am

suomynona

avatar

So... what's the difference between this thread -- and this locked thread?

Both are tributes from an education facilities in Minnesota that were posted in two different newspaper sources.

One was locked and placed in a different thread to be buried and never heard from again, while another was given it's own thread for people to see.

I mean, what's the difference other than one thread was posted by a non-moderator -- and the other was posted by a moderator.

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/10/16 4:29am

captiveunicorn

suomynona said:

So... what's the difference between this thread -- and this locked thread?

Both are tributes from an education facilities in Minnesota that were posted in two different newspaper sources.

One was locked and placed in a different thread to be buried and never heard from again, while another was given it's own thread for people to see.

I mean, what's the difference other than one thread was posted by a non-moderator -- and the other was posted by a moderator.

Thanks in advance for the clarification!



Your beefs with the mods posting policies aside, which being new and ignorant of history/bias I can't comment on, there's a fairly big difference between being awarded an honorary doctorate by a university and a personal commemoration plaque at a high school. Kind of like the difference between being awarded a ribbon for best talent at your high school talent night and a Grammy.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/10/16 4:40am

suomynona

avatar

captiveunicorn said:

...there's a fairly big difference between being awarded an honorary doctorate by a university and a personal commemoration plaque at a high school.


Yes, I agree. One of the schools he actually attended -- and the other he did not.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/10/16 4:42am

rogifan

This is very cool. Well done U of M. Does the Kennedy Center offer posthumous awards because Prince really deserved that.
Paisley Park is in your heart
#PrinceForever 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/10/16 4:51am

Blakbear

This is pretty cool. Andwhy am I not surprised that it took forever to get him to agree to it? "Have a degree!" "No." "C'mon, have a degree!" "No." "PRINCE TAKE THE DAMN DEGREEE!" "*sigh, side-eye* /Fine/."

Stubborn ass. biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/10/16 8:40am

mtlfan

I've been to a lot of university convocations and sat through a lot of boring-ass commencement speeches. These kids are in luck if anyone - even Tony M - accepts the award on Prince's behalf.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/10/16 10:02am

1Sasha

mtlfan said:

I've been to a lot of university convocations and sat through a lot of boring-ass commencement speeches. These kids are in luck if anyone - even Tony M - accepts the award on Prince's behalf.

A day late and a dollar short.

While we are talking about honors: why didn't Prince ever receive a Kennedy Center Honor? They gave it to The Who, for Heaven's sake. Absolutely no comparison in terms of quality of work IMO. Paul McCartney delayed his for years, after he was first selected. Does anyone know if this was ever offered to Prince?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/10/16 10:03am

1Sasha

deerpath said:

The man needs nothing because he is Prince, but this is sweet. smile Now the university needs to offer courses on his music, his production skills, his leadership and philanthropy. They need to set up a Prince "Let's Go Crazy" fund to provide musical camps for children and youth that is focused on his genre--PRINCE.

Lease PP from his estate and use it to teach all facets of music creation, production and distribution. Use it to tell the story of his genius.

Prince is the genre. Prince is the culture.

What a perfect idea!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/10/16 11:10am

journalism16

So nice and deserving of both the plaque and degree. He definitely deserves them. biggrin
Erin Smith
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/10/16 2:12pm

paolo

Was reading the article on Star Tribune and some of the comments are disgusting! Sick of people stating was nothing but a junkie!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/10/16 2:17pm

Guitarhero

paolo said:

Was reading the article on Star Tribune and some of the comments are disgusting! Sick of people stating was nothing but a junkie!

Just ignore the ignorant.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/10/16 2:19pm

GirlBrother

avatar

suomynona said:



captiveunicorn said:


...there's a fairly big difference between being awarded an honorary doctorate by a university and a personal commemoration plaque at a high school.


Yes, I agree. One of the schools he actually attended -- and the other he did not.



lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/10/16 2:20pm

Guitarhero

journalism16 said:

So nice and deserving of both the plaque and degree. He definitely deserves them. biggrin

nod It's cool.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/10/16 2:35pm

morningsong

I've never understood the point of these. Once the person is successful in whatever field, what's the point of the degree?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/10/16 3:00pm

Lianachan

avatar

paolo said:

Was reading the article on Star Tribune and some of the comments are disgusting! Sick of people stating was nothing but a junkie!


The internet is chock full of idiots. Don't let them get you down or bring you to their level.
"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge"" ~ Isaac Asimov
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/13/16 3:16pm

purpleaslan

Im sure all these people are being geuninley nice when they are giving out these award's......but it's a bit little and too late,...im sure there will be plenty to come in honour of Prince in this next year. However woulda meant alot more if they had done it while he was alive and showed there love for him whilst he was with us....

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/13/16 3:22pm

sonshine

avatar

paolo said:

Was reading the article on Star Tribune and some of the comments are disgusting! Sick of people stating was nothing but a junkie!


Same thing with the USA TODAY article. It's hurtful but honestly the best thing you can do is not get sucked I'm and keep the commentary on topic. Ignoring the haters I've found to be the one thing that stifles them to some degree anyway.
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/13/16 3:22pm

endiadj

purpleaslan said:

Im sure all these people are being geuninley nice when they are giving out these award's.....but it's a bit little and too late,...im sure there will be plenty to come in honour of Prince in this next year. However woulda meant alot more if they had done it while he was alive and showed there love for him whilst he was with us....



maybe they offered and he declined but they want to honor him now.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/13/16 3:23pm

ForceofNature

I currently attend Berklee College of Music and ever since Prince passed I thought it would be fitting for him to recieve an Honorary Degree. Sure it would be more fitting if the person was alive when recieving it, however I think that it is a nice way of further immortalizing his influence and stating how big we really was

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/13/16 4:18pm

sonshine

avatar

paolo said:

Was reading the article on Star Tribune and some of the comments are disgusting! Sick of people stating was nothing but a junkie!


Same thing with the USA TODAY article. It's hurtful but honestly the best thing you can do is not get sucked I'm and keep the commentary on topic. Ignoring the haters I've found to be the one thing that stifles them to some degree anyway.
It's a hurtful place, the world, in and of itself. We don't need to add to it. We all need one another. ~ PRN
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince to Receive Honorary Degree From University of Minnesota