independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's 'Kiss' Lyrics
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/09/16 10:36am

destinyc1

Prince's 'Kiss' Lyrics

On my way to the studio blasting prince's 'kiss' song.Then my friend starts feeling it.Then she sings the words LETS GO WENDY BOVAE lol Wait what!!!!???? Let's go wendy bovae ...I said those aren't the words and who the hell is WENDY BOVAE?She said you know wendy and lisa.I said 'oh' i thought the words were Little Girl Wendy's Parade.She said NO that doesn't sound right. neutral Granted i dont know all the words.And the ones i do know i think were on the album .So i was telling some other people and they said its understandable because DUDES voice is so high sad Prince fam i know you guys know all the words correct?Signed wendy bovae jk

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/09/16 10:38am

Doozer

avatar

It's most definitely "Little girl Wendy's parade," leading into her short guitar solo.

He's sung it differently for other players in the past, "Little girl XXXX's parade."

Check out The Mountains and the Sea, a Prince podcast by yours truly and my wife. More info at https://www.facebook.com/TMATSPodcast/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/09/16 10:45am

destinyc1

Doozer said:

It's most definitely "Little girl Wendy's parade," leading into her short guitar solo.

He's sung it differently for other players in the past, "Little girl XXXX's parade."

Thank you so much.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/09/16 11:01am

Junglehop

[Play nice snip - luv4u]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/09/16 11:06am

destinyc1

.SHE HAS ONE BUT,DIDN' WANT PROVEN WRONG.SO I KNEW THE FAM KNEW .

[Edited 6/9/16 11:23am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/09/16 11:22am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

Yep, it's "little girl Wendy's parade". The lyric is more than just queuing Wendy's solo. "Christopher Tracy's Parade" was originally called "Little Girl Wendy's Parade" or something like that. The lyrics were about her guitar, and the rhyming lyrics were different. It was changed for the album and movie.

Those first four songs were recorded together straight through, one layer at a time. Drums, then bass, then keyboard, then percussion, then guitar, etc front to back. By just Prince. I think it's why it has a live feel to it, even though it was a one-man band situation. The original take on those, without Clare's strings, are floating around out there, including with Prince's original "Little Girl Wendy's Parade" lyric.

Just when U think U've got more than enough, that's when it all up and flies away.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/09/16 11:26am

destinyc1

TrivialPursuit said:

Yep, it's "little girl Wendy's parade". The lyric is more than just queuing Wendy's solo. "Christopher Tracy's Parade" was originally called "Little Girl Wendy's Parade" or something like that. The lyrics were about her guitar, and the rhyming lyrics were different. It was changed for the album and movie.

Those first four songs were recorded together straight through, one layer at a time. Drums, then bass, then keyboard, then percussion, then guitar, etc front to back. By just Prince. I think it's why it has a live feel to it, even though it was a one-man band situation. The original take on those, without Clare's strings, are floating around out there, including with Prince's original "Little Girl Wendy's Parade" lyric.

Never knew that.Thanks so much for that info.There's still a video up of him dancing to kiss on A.H.show

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/09/16 11:33am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

destinyc1 said:

TrivialPursuit said:

Yep, it's "little girl Wendy's parade". The lyric is more than just queuing Wendy's solo. "Christopher Tracy's Parade" was originally called "Little Girl Wendy's Parade" or something like that. The lyrics were about her guitar, and the rhyming lyrics were different. It was changed for the album and movie.

Those first four songs were recorded together straight through, one layer at a time. Drums, then bass, then keyboard, then percussion, then guitar, etc front to back. By just Prince. I think it's why it has a live feel to it, even though it was a one-man band situation. The original take on those, without Clare's strings, are floating around out there, including with Prince's original "Little Girl Wendy's Parade" lyric.

Never knew that.Thanks so much for that info.There's still a video up of him dancing to kiss on A.H.show


If you can ever find a copy of DMSR: Prince The First Decade by Per Nilsen, I'd highly recommend finding it. Not only does it catalog the recording sessions (literally what song was recorded on what day in what year at what studio), tour dates, and album releases - all in the back of the book, but the book itself is a treasure trove of these little stories. I remember just being fascinated at the story of him recording those first 4 songs on Parade like that. It also explained why they segue so easily one to another. Susan Rogers talks about how he came in, said he's going to record 4 songs, front to back, one track (part) at a time. He was in pants and no shirt (I think), with these jangly necklaces on. He had a piece of paper with the counts written out on it (eg: how long the song was, how many measures between one song and another, when to bring it down, or when to play louder), and he taped that to his drum kit somewhere. He sat there, and played the drums, with no click track to keep time, and recorded it straight through from "Christopher Tracy's Parade" through "Under The Cherry Moon". Then he grabbed his bass, started at the beginning, and played all the way through again.


I fucking love that idea. Rogers said his necklace was clanking around on his neck, and you can hear it in the mix a tiny bit here and there (probably "New Position"), although it's not "Oh, there's his necklace", just that there's extra noise in there. But - that's Prince. If anything, Prince was really organic in his approach to recording. That Warehouse VHS that's out (often called The Basement - which it's not) shows that the console was just right there, with no separation of instruments or voice. That lends to a lot of track bleeding, but it also makes songs like "Let's Go Crazy" or "Computer Blue" sound echoy and fucking wonderful. You get that on the first four track of Parade, I believe.



.

[Edited 6/9/16 11:33am]

Just when U think U've got more than enough, that's when it all up and flies away.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/09/16 11:43am

destinyc1

TrivialPursuit said:

destinyc1 said:

Never knew that.Thanks so much for that info.There's still a video up of him dancing to kiss on A.H.show


If you can ever find a copy of DMSR: Prince The First Decade by Per Nilsen, I'd highly recommend finding it. Not only does it catalog the recording sessions (literally what song was recorded on what day in what year at what studio), tour dates, and album releases - all in the back of the book, but the book itself is a treasure trove of these little stories. I remember just being fascinated at the story of him recording those first 4 songs on Parade like that. It also explained why they segue so easily one to another. Susan Rogers talks about how he came in, said he's going to record 4 songs, front to back, one track (part) at a time. He was in pants and no shirt (I think), with these jangly necklaces on. He had a piece of paper with the counts written out on it (eg: how long the song was, how many measures between one song and another, when to bring it down, or when to play louder), and he taped that to his drum kit somewhere. He sat there, and played the drums, with no click track to keep time, and recorded it straight through from "Christopher Tracy's Parade" through "Under The Cherry Moon". Then he grabbed his bass, started at the beginning, and played all the way through again.


I fucking love that idea. Rogers said his necklace was clanking around on his neck, and you can hear it in the mix a tiny bit here and there (probably "New Position"), although it's not "Oh, there's his necklace", just that there's extra noise in there. But - that's Prince. If anything, Prince was really organic in his approach to recording. That Warehouse VHS that's out (often called The Basement - which it's not) shows that the console was just right there, with no separation of instruments or voice. That lends to a lot of track bleeding, but it also makes songs like "Let's Go Crazy" or "Computer Blue" sound echoy and fucking wonderful. You get that on the first four track of Parade, I believe.



.

[Edited 6/9/16 11:33am]

omg!!! Thats too cool.Now i have to find it. Thank you

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/09/16 11:49am

destinyc1

http://www.amazon.com/Dan...0946719233 Trivia is this the correct one?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/09/16 2:09pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

destinyc1 said:

http://www.amazon.com/Dan...0946719233 Trivia is this the correct one?


Yep, that's it. (I always found it funny that, just because of the way it is, Prince is flipping everyone off on that cover.)

Just when U think U've got more than enough, that's when it all up and flies away.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/09/16 4:25pm

destinyc1

Love it.Thank you biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/09/16 7:09pm

RiotPaisley

They want TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for that book. Lol that's absolutely insane... However I suppose I've paid that much for a text book.
I would totally take a class on Prince. Paisley Park should offer Prince sessions. Summer camp for grown ups. Various versions- maybe 3 weeks straight in the summer or weekend classes. Online sessions.
He's a damn genius and I want to know everything about him. Can I get a scholarship!?!
Surprise, surprise.
Another treat. Another trick.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/09/16 7:33pm

nursev

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/10/16 5:19am

destinyc1

RiotPaisley said:

They want TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS for that book. Lol that's absolutely insane... However I suppose I've paid that much for a text book. I would totally take a class on Prince. Paisley Park should offer Prince sessions. Summer camp for grown ups. Various versions- maybe 3 weeks straight in the summer or weekend classes. Online sessions. He's a damn genius and I want to know everything about him. Can I get a scholarship!?!

Riot no 200.00 was for the used.Its 695.00 for the new.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's 'Kiss' Lyrics