independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 6th Dec 2019 8:54pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Was there bad blood between Quincy Jones and Prince?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/05/16 8:13pm

scriptgirl

avatar

Was there bad blood between Quincy Jones and Prince?

I know that back in the 80s, Quincy claimed that Prince treated his fans like shit and seems to not have held P in high regard. Is this all due to We Are the World?

"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/05/16 9:13pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

No.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/05/16 9:41pm

weirdozmedia

avatar

I doubt it, I think there was definitely friendly rivalry going on. Prince claimed Quincy & MJ wanted him to get on the song "Bad". And at the 95 AMA awards Quincy and Prince are laughing as Quincy tries to get Prince to sing We Are The World and Prince refuses. He also may have refused to get on the original song but still contributed Tears In Their Eyes for the We Are The World album.

¡The Future Is Ours, If You Can Count! https://www.youtube.com/w...A_zTY0qWWk
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/05/16 9:45pm

nursev

I thought there was for awhile...people use to say that Quincy prevented Prince from getting some kind of award or something. Dont know if its true though.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/05/16 11:08pm

PeteSilas

they had a few episodes, whether that equates to "bad blood" or not I don't know. First, Prince didn't do the we are the world thing, then, when quincy had a stage full of musicians singing it onstage a few years later, he put the mic to prince who pointed his lollipop at q. quincy supposedly took him to task backstage. My personal feeling, men like quincy just get off on controlling others and namedropping and being all up in everything. He dogged out michael the day after he died because michael left him. men like quincy hate what they cannot rule. that's my take.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/06/16 6:35am

scriptgirl

avatar

I also think that Prince was one of the few toweringfigures in black music who made it big without a connection to Quincy and Quincy didn't care for that

"Lack of home training crosses all boundaries."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/06/16 6:43am

cindymay

I don't think so. I remember Janelle Monae sayin' few years ago that Prince took Quincy with him to one of her shows in Montreaux.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/06/16 8:37am

CAL3

weirdozmedia said:

at the 95 AMA awards Quincy and Prince are laughing as Quincy tries to get Prince to sing We Are The World and Prince refuses.

THAT was one of my favorite Prince moments - when they're side-by-side and Q offers him the microphone during the sing-along chorus and Prince just offers him his lollipop in return... That was a real fist-pumping "that's my man!" moment that I'll never forget.

[Edited 6/6/16 8:37am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/06/16 10:20am

purplethunder3
121

avatar

CAL3 said:

weirdozmedia said:

at the 95 AMA awards Quincy and Prince are laughing as Quincy tries to get Prince to sing We Are The World and Prince refuses.

THAT was one of my favorite Prince moments - when they're side-by-side and Q offers him the microphone during the sing-along chorus and Prince just offers him his lollipop in return... That was a real fist-pumping "that's my man!" moment that I'll never forget.

[Edited 6/6/16 8:37am]

lol

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/06/16 11:19am

PeteSilas

cindymay said:

I don't think so. I remember Janelle Monae sayin' few years ago that Prince took Quincy with him to one of her shows in Montreaux.

where did this come from?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/06/16 2:17pm

dalboy2

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/06/16 3:03pm

sro100

avatar

scriptgirl said:

I know that back in the 80s, Quincy claimed that Prince treated his fans like shit and seems to not have held P in high regard. Is this all due to We Are the World?

Quincy "wrote" an ad in Billboard (I believe) for promotion of "Most Beautiful Girl in the World" in praise of prince

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/06/16 3:06pm

PeteSilas

sro100 said:

scriptgirl said:

I know that back in the 80s, Quincy claimed that Prince treated his fans like shit and seems to not have held P in high regard. Is this all due to We Are the World?

Quincy "wrote" an ad in Billboard (I believe) for promotion of "Most Beautiful Girl in the World" in praise of prince

quincy is a piece of work, i wouldn't doubt all the crazy stories about him. He's a bullshit artist. I don't doubt he said that, but he does whatever he feels he needs to do. listen to his interviews, all he does is talk about himself, sickening. Especially when he never really was the "star".

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/06/16 3:09pm

SPYZFAN1

I remember reading the NY Daily News the next day and they claimed Quincy chewed him out backstage. Called him a "a$$hole" and said "he shouldn't treat people badly". P supposedly looked at him (with his shades still on) and walked away.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/06/16 3:15pm

nonesuch

Don't care at all if Prince got along well with Q. But I respected his refusal to taking part in this bogus-event We Are The World.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/06/16 3:37pm

Aerogram

avatar

In the 80s, there might have been some resentment, but beyond that both men had better things to do plus QJ was no longer producing MJ.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/06/16 3:41pm

Mumio

avatar

PeteSilas said:

they had a few episodes, whether that equates to "bad blood" or not I don't know. First, Prince didn't do the we are the world thing, then, when quincy had a stage full of musicians singing it onstage a few years later, he put the mic to prince who pointed his lollipop at q. quincy supposedly took him to task backstage. My personal feeling, men like quincy just get off on controlling others and namedropping and being all up in everything. He dogged out michael the day after he died because michael left him. men like quincy hate what they cannot rule. that's my take.

Agreed.

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/06/16 3:44pm

Mumio

avatar

SPYZFAN1 said:

I remember reading the NY Daily News the next day and they claimed Quincy chewed him out backstage. Called him a "a$$hole" and said "he shouldn't treat people badly". P supposedly looked at him (with his shades still on) and walked away.

Hope it's true.

Welcome to "the org", Mumio…they can have you, but I'll have your love in the end nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Was there bad blood between Quincy Jones and Prince?