independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 22nd Aug 2019 7:27pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Would A New Album Make You Feel Better Or Worse?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/05/16 9:12am

jhon00

avatar

Would A New Album Make You Feel Better Or Worse?

I was just thinking of what would a new album of unheard Prince songs do for me emotionally besides the appreciation?

Would it make me more sad depending on the type of songs even if they were brilliant, and sounded as if he just recorded them secretively somewhere on earth?

Would they be more uplifting of the melancholy that many of us feel, or make em slightly worse?

Just imagine folk like Jimmy Jam with the help of other Prince related artist polishing up his songs into complete gems of brilliance.

And the anticipation of this album(maybe a double album) promoted to release on a certain date.

How do you think any future album if it ever occurs in the near future would effect you? Would the disappointment be towards those who tried to spice his songs up be so aweful til it would make you only long for Prince's special touch in revising his own material?

Even though he obviuosly wouldn't live long enough to revise them all anyway.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/05/16 9:19am

MattyJam

avatar

There is potential for it to be great, but as MJ's estate have proven, it could all go very wrong.

But it'll never be the same as when he was here. Even if we get twenty unreleased albums over the next 40 years, unless they are released exactly as Prince left them, then they will always feel like "someone-else-doing-Prince", which is exactly how the two posthumously released MJ albums felt (although on one of those albums, it actually WAS someone else doing MJ in places).

I predict it's going to get ugly.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/05/16 9:29am

CROWNS1

I hope they don't commercialize him. I don't want to hear his music on a Ford commercial confused

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/05/16 9:30am

Guitarhero

CROWNS1 said:

I hope they don't commercialize him. I don't want to hear his music on a Ford commercial confused

I hate most adverts so i agree.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/05/16 9:51am

mightycow

avatar

a 'new' release would make me feel as if he were still here somehow, so I'd say yes to such a release

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/05/16 9:56am

rocknrolldave

avatar

If there was such a thing as a Phase Three to HnR, I would be more interested in that (assuming Prince had sequenced the running order, artwork etc himself) than in any release that was compiled by a third party..as the latter wouldn't show us the work as Prince himself intended it.

That said, of course I am interested in hearing whatever comes out, if anything.

I am very uncomfortable with the idea of posthumous releases - I think an artist should have final veto on what is/ isn't released in their name - but still, curiosity gets the better of me.
This is not an exit
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/05/16 10:01am

PurpleColossus

avatar

I don't know yet, I think it's going to be weird having a new album without Prince here as well. I wonder how many completed unreleased albums there are with the songs/sequence/album artwork all set to go? Maybe they will release those first, it would make sense...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/05/16 10:04am

TrivialPursuit

avatar

MattyJam said:

There is potential for it to be great, but as MJ's estate have proven, it could all go very wrong.

But it'll never be the same as when he was here. Even if we get twenty unreleased albums over the next 40 years, unless they are released exactly as Prince left them, then they will always feel like "someone-else-doing-Prince", which is exactly how the two posthumously released MJ albums felt (although on one of those albums, it actually WAS someone else doing MJ in places).

I predict it's going to get ugly.


I think that's a bit of a pessimistic point of view. Everyone is pontificating on things to come, and the ink is barely dry on the death certificate. It's been six weeks. MJ's estate has done well and done badly. With the sales in records after his passing, they cleared his massive debt in mere months (not 2 or 3, but a short amount of time in hindsight). Yet their handling of that Michael album is abismal. Xscape was a better project - but then you had the hologram shitfest.

As far as Prince and new music, I'm quite happy to hear it. The different between MJ's vault and Prince's is that people know Prince music. They are more invested in the music. MJ fans are invested in the glove, the eccentricities, the dancing. Prince was music, more than MJ ever could be. (It's apples and oranges really.) With people around like The Revolution, and NPG people that are quite capable of overseeing particular releases, I'm more confident in us fans eventually getting something worthy of a Prince release. MJ's stuff was just songs from projects. He didn't record all the time, and he had different producers, never had a house band. It just seems more of a random shuffle, than 9 or 10 songs that Prince recorded in a 2-week period.

Of course, that also depends on who handles the estate and those releases. MJ was at least smart enough to put a couple of trusted friends and lawyers in charge of his shit. Because let's face it, if Katharine, or Joseph, or any of those brothers were in charge of MJ's estate, it'd be an even bigger shitfest, and it'd probably still be in debt, with no music released in the last seven years.

This experience will cover courtship, sex, commitment, fetishes, loneliness, vindication, love, and hate.
http://bit.ly/1D3FG2U
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/05/16 10:52am

RiotPaisley

Better.

I know there are some Revolution albums. They could tour on that. I'm going to make sure I see The Time next time they roll through here. Sheila too. I missed her last year cuz I was being a bum. I love hours away from Paisley Park and never went to a party. I'm feeling mostly like an idiot.
Surprise, surprise.
Another treat. Another trick.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/05/16 10:57am

anangellooksdo
wn

I would LOVE a new album. Just so long as everybody keeps their grubs OFF it and it's authentic, raw Prince - just as is.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/05/16 11:18am

MattyJam

avatar

TrivialPursuit said:

MattyJam said:

There is potential for it to be great, but as MJ's estate have proven, it could all go very wrong.

But it'll never be the same as when he was here. Even if we get twenty unreleased albums over the next 40 years, unless they are released exactly as Prince left them, then they will always feel like "someone-else-doing-Prince", which is exactly how the two posthumously released MJ albums felt (although on one of those albums, it actually WAS someone else doing MJ in places).

I predict it's going to get ugly.


I think that's a bit of a pessimistic point of view. Everyone is pontificating on things to come, and the ink is barely dry on the death certificate. It's been six weeks. MJ's estate has done well and done badly. With the sales in records after his passing, they cleared his massive debt in mere months (not 2 or 3, but a short amount of time in hindsight). Yet their handling of that Michael album is abismal. Xscape was a better project - but then you had the hologram shitfest.

As far as Prince and new music, I'm quite happy to hear it. The different between MJ's vault and Prince's is that people know Prince music. They are more invested in the music. MJ fans are invested in the glove, the eccentricities, the dancing. Prince was music, more than MJ ever could be. (It's apples and oranges really.) With people around like The Revolution, and NPG people that are quite capable of overseeing particular releases, I'm more confident in us fans eventually getting something worthy of a Prince release. MJ's stuff was just songs from projects. He didn't record all the time, and he had different producers, never had a house band. It just seems more of a random shuffle, than 9 or 10 songs that Prince recorded in a 2-week period.

Of course, that also depends on who handles the estate and those releases. MJ was at least smart enough to put a couple of trusted friends and lawyers in charge of his shit. Because let's face it, if Katharine, or Joseph, or any of those brothers were in charge of MJ's estate, it'd be an even bigger shitfest, and it'd probably still be in debt, with no music released in the last seven years.



Speak for yourself. As a lifelong MJ fan, I couldn't careless about the eccentricities, and am just as invested and passionate about his music as I am about Prince's.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/05/16 11:26am

fabriziovenera
ndi

avatar

both

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/05/16 12:02pm

HatrinaHaterwi
tz

avatar

shrug IDK. It would depend lyrically and musically upon the songs and how they're presented.

If they're some that hard hitting FUNK from back in the Prince and The Revolution days...I'd probably be like...



If they're previously unfinished songs from any era and for some dumb ass reason someone thinks it would be a good idea to have the likes of say Justin Timberfake or Beyawnce added...then uhh...

Here's what bothers ME:

Prince died of an overdose of the drug Fentanyl. Of which, it is very highly fucking likely that he never even knew he'd taken.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/05/16 12:05pm

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

Better.

But nobody needs to 'polish' up anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/05/16 12:05pm

NorthC

Guitarhero said:



CROWNS1 said:


I hope they don't commercialize him. I don't want to hear his music on a Ford commercial confused



I hate most adverts so i agree.


I'm a Bob Dylan fan and his Love Sick was used in a Victoria's Secret commercial, so... I'm prepared for anything.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/05/16 12:16pm

DoItAllNight4U

avatar

Well if it sucks then it will be indifferent to me. We still have almost 40 albums to enjoy Purple Yoda with.

If it's good, then AWESOME, one more to the list cool

"I was here in the beginning and I'll be here forever more"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/05/16 12:21pm

Aerogram

avatar

I'd snap it up in an instant.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/05/16 12:23pm

Guitarhero

If Wendy & Lisa are involved in polishing the songs they worked on with Prince , then cool. Same with other band members who worked on songs with him in the 90's and 00's. People who actually were involved will know more how Prince would have wanted them finished.

[Edited 6/5/16 12:25pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/05/16 12:28pm

Empress

New music would be fantastic! I will be grateful for any unreleased music from Prince. I'm also hoping for some live concerts too.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/05/16 12:39pm

Guitarhero

Empress said:

New music would be fantastic! I will be grateful for any unreleased music from Prince. I'm also hoping for some live concerts too.

Yes please nod

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/05/16 12:46pm

Marrk

avatar

It's not the same guys. It feels kind of hollow and tinged with sadness. You won't give any posthumous releases the same kind of love, maybe not that many listens either. It'll surpise you how that works. The enjoyment is just not the same. Trust me. neutral

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/05/16 12:48pm

FunkiestOne

avatar

CROWNS1 said:

I hope they don't commercialize him. I don't want to hear his music on a Ford commercial confused

.

You can be sure that's going to happen. There's not even a question.

.

But new albums of old material would be just about the same as it always was, although I will appreciate them even more. I was just listening to Lovesexy and cherishing that album more than I have in a long time. All of Prince's songs just seem extra special now.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/05/16 12:50pm

mikeyaddict

avatar

I kinda hope there were a couple of albums in the pipeline - that were pretty much complete say hnr 3 or free urself. They would feel like genuine new albums - after that i would listen to new stuff but pray that it wasn't touched by someone else and was how P had completed it. Stuff in demo or rough form, would love to hear but don't anyone filling in or 'finishing' it off for him. It's real isn't it. He's Defoe gone. Feels so unfair over again. Love Purple Family. Xxo
Comin str8 outta Preston...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/05/16 1:52pm

pdiddy2011

I'd love a new release soon. I personally think the first official release or 2 could be something he pretty much had in the pipeline to come out anyway.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/05/16 2:05pm

andymacfunky

avatar

I would love to think that the Vault is lovingly collated and released without others 'completing' songs. However, I don't think that there is big bucks in releasing this material. The big wrekka sales came immediately after Prince's (blessed are we by his memory) death. There is a community (us) who would buy releases from the Vault, but I suspect that they would need to be deluxe packages to make it profitable. I'd love to see someone of the calibre of Alan Leeds oversee the project.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/05/16 5:33pm

GoldStandard

avatar

HITNRUN PHASE THREE

[img:$uid]http://i.imgur.com/tEIOLwZ.jpg[/img:$uid]

[Edited 6/5/16 17:33pm]

Nobody I know gun' bite
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/05/16 7:02pm

roxy831

avatar

I'm dealing with the quandrum of 2 generations that experienced 2 different Princes (does that make sense?). I pulled up after Emancipation due to his drastic changes and the fact that I then had my own band to be concerned about, so anything after 1999 really did not get my full, undivided attention. BUT you release the CDs based on the year, I'm in. I WILL cry, I WILL get mad all over again, but I will be grateful that even though he didn't leave a will, he left his music for this world to explore. That's what's up...

Welcome home class. We've come a long way. - RIP Prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/05/16 7:03pm

slakk

avatar

CROWNS1 said:

I hope they don't commercialize him. I don't want to hear his music on a Ford commercial confused

What about a Corvette commercial?

The color of the Pharaoh's hand is purple
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/05/16 7:16pm

callimnate

avatar

Better - If it was an album of old unreleased material.

Worse - If it was HitNRun III

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/05/16 7:20pm

thanks2joniand
u

GoldStandard said:

HITNRUN PHASE THREE


[Edited 6/5/16 17:33pm]




YES! THIS A MILLION TIMES. My dream is Tidal will drop HitnRun Phase 3 on June 7th. I know it's not going to happen but I can dream
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Would A New Album Make You Feel Better Or Worse?