independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Are You Also Working Your Way Through All Prince CDs?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/12/16 11:06am

sro100

avatar

Are You Also Working Your Way Through All Prince CDs?

Something I never did before.

In no particular order.

I forgot that some I didn't like at all; New Power Soul, Planet Earth, etc. now sound pretty darn good.

And others not so much.

Y'all?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/12/16 11:13am

purpleaslan

sro100 said:

Something I never did before.

In no particular order.

I forgot that some I didn't like at all; New Power Soul, Planet Earth, etc. now sound pretty darn good.

And others not so much.

Y'all?

yes but lsitening to "Dig U Better Dead" on Chaos gave me chills for obvious reason's and whilst listening to Exodus...then at the end "The Exodus Has Begun"....because of that ending "This is dedicated to his royal badness prince....rest in peace nigger"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/12/16 11:16am

CuddlyBear

avatar

My iPod has been doing the Prince shuffle since.....
Christopher damn!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/12/16 11:21am

suomynona

avatar

I did just that recently. In March I re-ripped almost everything in my iTunes library -- including Prince (900 songs). I also added almost everything in my collection to discogs here. Recently I've been going through iTunes and adding different artwork and all of the lyrics to tracks.

.

Thankfully, there is archive.org where you can enter dtt-lyrics.com and click on a date from 2008 to add lyrics to nearly every song recorded through that time, whether it was an outtake, associate artist...

.

Something fun to do to take your mind off of the epic fail that is 2016.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/12/16 11:23am

suomynona

avatar

purpleaslan said:

yes but lsitening to "Dig U Better Dead" on Chaos gave me chills for obvious reason's and whilst listening to Exodus...then at the end "The Exodus Has Begun"....because of that ending "This is dedicated to his royal badness prince....rest in peace nigger"

.

How about Mayte saying multiple times "Prince is dead" in Spanish on tGE?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/12/16 11:30am

dereksl

I've been going through his whole catalogue too. I ripped all the stuff I never got around to doing before and subscribed to Tidal to listen to a few albums and songs that weren't in my collection. Listening to it like this, the amount of material is almost overwhelming. It's also interesting how some songs age so much better than others.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/12/16 11:31am

CuddlyBear

avatar

suomynona said:

I did just that recently. In March I re-ripped almost everything in my iTunes library -- including Prince (900 songs). I also added almost everything in my collection to discogs here. Recently I've been going through iTunes and adding different artwork and all of the lyrics to tracks.


.


Thankfully, there is archive.org where you can enter dtt-lyrics.com and click on a date from 2008 to add lyrics to nearly every song recorded through that time, whether it was an outtake, associate artist...


.


Something fun to do to take your mind off of the epic fail that is 2016.


Adding artwork is my next project.
Christopher damn!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/12/16 11:35am

trufunk

Started before he passed, extracting files from my CD's to my PC, to load onto a sdhc to play in my truck.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/12/16 11:37am

PaisleyShark

I'm taking my time with this. I'm listening to all of the albums chronologically, and listening to each at least twice before moving on. There are a few albums I've never been into, so looking forward to see if anything's changed. I've not changed my mind that his first great album was 1999, but I liked the earlier albums more than I'd remembered.

I'm not only listening to those albums though - I've been listening to plenty of the rest of his catalogue, particularly AOA this week, and some of the NPGMC stuff. The chronological thing is agonist a side project!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/12/16 11:41am

DarkKnight1

avatar

Yep. Every single one of them.

(Insert something clever here)
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/12/16 11:50am

AlgeriaTouchsh
reek

Only insofar as I've misplaced my copy of Art Official Age - it was right here on the shelf with the best of them. I'm at a loss. Like a functioning adult misplacing his keys and crying instead of swearing and tearing the house apart.

I'm not going anywhere near HitNRun phase two. It's haunted.

i wish i'd never kissed your lips, bearded lady
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/12/16 12:14pm

Cloreen

avatar

.

Every one, in chronological order.

.

Up to "The Truth" right now.

.

Some random thoughts:

- Man, disc 2 of "Emancipation" is not very good.

- "prince" album is better than I thought. (Hated it in the past.)

- "Come" is superb. One of his top three albums. Yes, top three.

- "1999"...many of those songs go on far too long.

- "Crucial" really should have replaced "Adore" on "Sign O The Times."

- "Strays Of The World" is the worst song Prince ever recorded.

- "Cloreen Bacon Skin" is one of the greatest songs Prince ever recorded.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/12/16 12:20pm

purpleaslan

suomynona said:

purpleaslan said:

yes but lsitening to "Dig U Better Dead" on Chaos gave me chills for obvious reason's and whilst listening to Exodus...then at the end "The Exodus Has Begun"....because of that ending "This is dedicated to his royal badness prince....rest in peace nigger"

.

How about Mayte saying multiple times "Prince is dead" in Spanish on tGE?

well i never knew that's what she was saying..thank you for that info cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/12/16 12:45pm

funkaholic1972

avatar

sro100 said:

Something I never did before.

In no particular order.

I forgot that some I didn't like at all; New Power Soul, Planet Earth, etc. now sound pretty darn good.

And others not so much.

Y'all?

I have been doing the same thing and I seem to have a better appreciation for lots of songs now that I didn't like much before. I have often been very critical of Prince's new music, perhaps overly critical, and sometimes avoided playing some of the 'lesser' albums altogether. ALthough in some cases I still don't really feel the production side of some of his albums, some of the songs themselves are sounding better to me than before. I suppose a little bit of "you don't know what you got until it's gone" also comes into play here.

But right now I got stuck at the ATWIAD album. I liked it when it came out, but i didn't like it as much as Purple Rain. I was slightly disappointed about that at the time. Right now I just love the album beginning to end, I have been playing it over and over and it has definately shot up several places in my personal "Prince album Top 40".

All I can do is hope that many more 'Prince re-appreciation moments' will follow in the years to come.

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/12/16 1:03pm

NorthC

Yes, but I'm getting to the point where I need a break. Bob Dylan... Otis Redding... I need to hear some other music... But with the same feel... Call me Mr. Pitiful... sad
[Edited 5/12/16 13:05pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/12/16 1:09pm

NorthC

Cloreen said:

.


Every one, in chronological order.


.


Up to "The Truth" right now.


.


Some random thoughts:


- Man, disc 2 of "Emancipation" is not very good.


- "prince" album is better than I thought. (Hated it in the past.)


- "Come" is superb. One of his top three albums. Yes, top three.


- "1999"...many of those songs go on far too long.


- "Crucial" really should have replaced "Adore" on "Sign O The Times."


- "Strays Of The World" is the worst song Prince ever recorded.


- "Cloreen Bacon Skin" is one of the greatest songs Prince ever recorded.


Interesting... You may be right about 1999... As for Emancipation CD 2, he recorded that being in love and happy with his unborn child... Maybe that influences the way you listen to it? And I always loved the jam you named yourself after. cool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/12/16 1:15pm

KingSausage

avatar

I WAS, but then the new Radiohead came out.
"Drop that stereo before I blow your Goddamn nuts off, asshole!"
-Eugene Tackleberry
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/12/16 1:16pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

Way too soon. I'll have to come back to Prince's music when the worst has passed and it can make me happy again...the way it used to.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/12/16 1:20pm

thedance

avatar

Cloreen said:

.

Every one, in chronological order.

.

Up to "The Truth" right now.

.

Some random thoughts:

- Man, disc 2 of "Emancipation" is not very good.

- "prince" album is better than I thought. (Hated it in the past.)

- "Come" is superb. One of his top three albums. Yes, top three.

- "1999"...many of those songs go on far too long.

- "Crucial" really should have replaced "Adore" on "Sign O The Times."

- "Strays Of The World" is the worst song Prince ever recorded.

- "Cloreen Bacon Skin" is one of the greatest songs Prince ever recorded.

^ those "thoughts" haha.. they are smart-ass comments sorry, not to be takes seriously from others than P-newbies... lol


1999 is one of Prince's best and coolest albums.. personally I love everything on it.. music

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/12/16 1:24pm

thedance

avatar

..... yes, I have been listening to every album from 1999 up to (including) Emancipation....

I am ejoying then all. I only skipped Arm Of Orion, and a few on Emancipation (my iTunes, I have 30 of those songs skipping 6)......

I enjoyed every album 1982-1996......... a great trip....! music

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/12/16 1:26pm

thedance

avatar

last week I had Art Official Age on repeat.... great album..... heart

So many great songs, especially:

Clouds
Way Back Home

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/12/16 1:36pm

ThirdStrike

avatar

trufunk said:

Started before he passed, extracting files from my CD's to my PC, to load onto a sdhc to play in my truck.

EXACT same thing I'm doing now. It's actually therapuetic. Well, that and constantly listening to the SiriusXM Prince Tribute Channel. Speaking of which, if you all haven't done so already I'd encourage you to sign that petition to keep the station going permanently. It's set to end tomorrow...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/12/16 1:44pm

NorthC

^All good things they say never last...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/12/16 1:49pm

ThirdStrike

avatar

NorthC said:

^All good things they say never last...

^Ok then, how about the "never last" part be sometime in the year 2046?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/12/16 1:53pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

ThirdStrike said:

NorthC said:

^All good things they say never last...

^Ok then, how about the "never last" part be sometime in the year 2046?

Yeah, when I'm gone.

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/12/16 1:55pm

ThirdStrike

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

ThirdStrike said:

^Ok then, how about the "never last" part be sometime in the year 2046?

Yeah, when I'm gone.

I'd say me too, but I'd want it to stick around so my 7 year old can enjoy it forever as well...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/12/16 2:00pm

AlgeriaTouchsh
reek

KingSausage said:

I WAS, but then the new Radiohead came out.

srsly? I can't listen to that filmic string drone malaise in this state. I don't care how many Lotus Flowers Thom Yorke pulls - I ain't in the mood!

razz

nice to see the old database errors back

i wish i'd never kissed your lips, bearded lady
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/12/16 3:34pm

tiara195

avatar

I'm 19 albums down going in no particular order. I've never listened to Come, The Rainbow Children or Emancipation all the through before for some reason. So, it feels good finding those songs that you've overlooked or only listened to snippets of. It's like finding new music. I haven't even touched the unreleased songs or concerts yet, but I'm enjoying this beautiful ride.
[Edited 5/12/16 15:39pm]
We could have big fun 💜
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/12/16 4:06pm

TrivialPursuit

avatar

No, but I do listen to the music whenever it is on the radio or elsewhere. What's hard for me is the live stuff.

Just when U think U've got more than enough, that's when it all up and flies away.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/12/16 4:22pm

NorthC

thedance said:

last week I had Art Official Age on repeat.... great album..... heart

So many great songs, especially:

Clouds
Way Back Home


Yeah! I luuuvvv Clouds, but... I will NEVER like Breakfast Can Wait, but it sits nicely at the end of side 2, so I can lift the needle off and just pretend that crap doesn't exist at all... Can I make you breakfast some time... No! Bugger off! Let me sleep! Close my eyes and ears and pretend this shit doesn't exist... And listen to the rest of it... And then Art Official Age becomes a very, very fine album... The voices on Way Back Home are just heavenly....
[Edited 5/13/16 1:04am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Are You Also Working Your Way Through All Prince CDs?