independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Destroy unreleased music?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/25/16 2:02am

2olskool4u

Destroy unreleased music?

I think he's given us enough already, I just don't want to see someone making millions churning all this stuff out. I just hope his will is water-tight and whatever he wanted, really happens. Maybe some free music and definitely some videos/movies, but I have a feeling everything may get ugly soon, Theres something I dont trust about his 'family', hope I'm wrong
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/25/16 2:07am

bluegangsta

avatar

Given that you've offered literally no reasoning behind your feelings, maybe you shouldn't present/ act on them as assertions?

Always cry 4 love, never cry 4 pain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/25/16 2:09am

dualboot

avatar

I actually suspect there is a selfdestruct button on the roof (big round shape).
The man was so in control of wiping his existence and control.

The stuff Will need proper curation or stay hidden.

I share your concern based on thirty plus years of viewing how prince and related inter(acted).
[Edited 4/25/16 2:11am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/25/16 2:15am

MattyJam

avatar

Why destroy his lifes work? If he himself had strong feelings about this and made it known that he wanted his work destroyed in the event of his death then fair enough. It would break my heart, but I would accept it if that were his wishes. But if he never felt strong enough to put something in place for when he died, then it seems needlessly destructive and almost disrespectful to destroy his lifes work.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/25/16 2:19am

ProtegeGlow

avatar

Prince put his unreleased music in a "vault" so clearly he never wanted it destroyed, otherwise he would have just thrown it out. Some of his music he first recorded and stored away before he dug it out and worked on it again years later.

Why destroy music? Music IS creation. Some of his work may have never been "finished", that doesn't mean that there is no worth in hearing it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/25/16 2:28am

KaresB

I may be naive but I can imagine we are all in for a big, pleasant surprise after all.

I can imagine Prince suspecting (or knowing) he won't live long and deliberately holding back releases as he knew the way he would present them himself would not please most of us, especially on this site.

I mean he's been following or at least regularly checking out the org, he was obviously aware that we had quite legitimate concerns about him editing, remixing or in any way twinkering with his own back catalog. Most of us wouldn't want him to change his old songs and most certainly no-one wanted him to "touch up" or "rethink" any of his unreleased gems.


A lot of us also expressed our concerns regarding how he himself would put together new releases - would the artwork be professional enough? Would the mastering be good enough? etc - as his independent releases often proved these things shouldn't be left up to him alone.

So I can imagine him thinking: "okay, I wouldn't be able to please you guys anyway, so let's just wait until I'm gone and someone else will take care of all this stuff professionally".

Yes, I can still dream.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/25/16 2:28am

Pentacle

MattyJam said:

Why destroy his lifes work? If he himself had strong feelings about this and made it known that he wanted his work destroyed in the event of his death then fair enough. It would break my heart, but I would accept it if that were his wishes. But if he never felt strong enough to put something in place for when he died, then it seems needlessly destructive and almost disrespectful to destroy his lifes work.


Kafka also asked for his work to be destroyed and thank god it didn't happen.

But I'm not sure if he put his request in an official document.

Stop the Prince Apologists ™
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/25/16 3:11am

OperatingTheta
n

The recently published Rolling Stone interview from 2014 has specific and clear ideas from Prince about how the vault releases should be handled if he was no longer communicating in 'real time.'

Hopefully, his wishes and suggestions will be followed.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/25/16 4:29am

paulludvig

OperatingThetan said:

The recently published Rolling Stone interview from 2014 has specific and clear ideas from Prince about how the vault releases should be handled if he was no longer communicating in 'real time.' Hopefully, his wishes and suggestions will be followed.

Yup. It's pretty clear from that interview that he wanted the vault material released. Some albums had already been sequensed, the rest had been grouped according to time periods.

The wooh is on the one!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/25/16 4:36am

KoolEaze

avatar

Pentacle said:

MattyJam said:

Why destroy his lifes work? If he himself had strong feelings about this and made it known that he wanted his work destroyed in the event of his death then fair enough. It would break my heart, but I would accept it if that were his wishes. But if he never felt strong enough to put something in place for when he died, then it seems needlessly destructive and almost disrespectful to destroy his lifes work.


Kafka also asked for his work to be destroyed and thank god it didn't happen.

But I'm not sure if he put his request in an official document.

Kafka ordered his best friend Max Brodt to destroy his unpublished work after his death but he didn´t listen.

Kafka was the first artist that came to my mind as well. I don´t know how to feel about this. On the one hand we should respect the artist´s wish, on the other hand preserving the art is probably just as important when we look at the bigger picture and the effect of preserving the art in question. In Kafka´s case, preserving the art was , in my opinion, the better decision for various reasons, and I think the same goes for Prince´s unreleased material.

" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/25/16 6:02am

leecaldon

OperatingThetan said:

The recently published Rolling Stone interview from 2014 has specific and clear ideas from Prince about how the vault releases should be handled if he was no longer communicating in 'real time.' Hopefully, his wishes and suggestions will be followed.

Is that alluding to a time when he's no longer with us?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/25/16 6:07am

BanishedBrian

2olskool4u said:

I think he's given us enough already, I just don't want to see someone making millions churning all this stuff out. I just hope his will is water-tight and whatever he wanted, really happens. Maybe some free music and definitely some videos/movies, but I have a feeling everything may get ugly soon, Theres something I dont trust about his 'family', hope I'm wrong

If the issue is not wanting someone to profit from it, there's a simple solution: just release the music online for free. There is absolutely no reason to be destroying his work. It'd be like someone destroying all of van Gogh's paintings when he died.

No Candy 4 Me
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/25/16 6:09am

BklynDiamond

avatar

In rencent interviews he always responded to the vault music as "someone will release it, but I doubt it will be me." So he was not adverse to it coming out.

I would like a DVD of the piano and mic tour for those of us unfortunate ones who didn't get a chance to see it. A compliation of all his videos would be nice as well.

I also would like some of the unreleased stuff, I know a lot of it is already out there but I don't have it all and would like it.

Because of their half-baked mistakes, we get ice cream, no cake; all lies, no truth; is it fair to Kill the YOUTH ~~ Party Up
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Destroy unreleased music?