independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Other artists music Prince has used in his work
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/16/16 10:12pm

batman89

avatar

Other artists music Prince has used in his work

The closing instrumental 'theme' song featured on "Rave un2 the year 2000" is the same score used as the closing credits on "Falling Down" (1993 Michael Douglas movie). I believe James Newton Howard composed the piece.

Share some other examples of Prince using other artists music within his own work (omitting commissioned work such as Clare Fischer etc).
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/17/16 12:29am

thedance

avatar

I believe theres a sample or two in the song "7"

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/17/16 12:30am

thedance

avatar

We Will Rock You was played during the intro at the Superbowl. Originally a Queen song.

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/17/16 1:42am

databank

avatar

batman89 said:

The closing instrumental 'theme' song featured on "Rave un2 the year 2000" is the same score used as the closing credits on "Falling Down" (1993 Michael Douglas movie). I believe James Newton Howard composed the piece. Share some other examples of Prince using other artists music within his own work (omitting commissioned work such as Clare Fischer etc).

I had no idea, thx for the info smile

It wasn't credited on the DVD, was it? eek

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/17/16 3:31am

MattyJam

avatar

batman89 said:

The closing instrumental 'theme' song featured on "Rave un2 the year 2000" is the same score used as the closing credits on "Falling Down" (1993 Michael Douglas movie). I believe James Newton Howard composed the piece. Share some other examples of Prince using other artists music within his own work (omitting commissioned work such as Clare Fischer etc).

Don't recall this piece of music used in that film. I just searched the OST for Falling Down on Youtube and can't find that piece anywhere. I'm pretty sure the music on the credits for Rave was a piece composed by Prince. It sounds very similar to the music that seagues between the end of Mr Happy and leads into In This Bed Eye Scream.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/17/16 4:13am

milesb

Big City is blatantly ripping off the Jamaica Funk bassline

My password is what
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/17/16 5:05am

databank

avatar

MattyJam said:

batman89 said:

The closing instrumental 'theme' song featured on "Rave un2 the year 2000" is the same score used as the closing credits on "Falling Down" (1993 Michael Douglas movie). I believe James Newton Howard composed the piece. Share some other examples of Prince using other artists music within his own work (omitting commissioned work such as Clare Fischer etc).

Don't recall this piece of music used in that film. I just searched the OST for Falling Down on Youtube and can't find that piece anywhere. I'm pretty sure the music on the credits for Rave was a piece composed by Prince. It sounds very similar to the music that seagues between the end of Mr Happy and leads into In This Bed Eye Scream.

I have the movie, I'll check it out soon.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/17/16 5:39am

skipthecharade
s

If you also mean samples, I listened to The P yesterday and had big fun hearing a sample of Dominator - Human Resource in it. (as far as that's the original sound).

Fun because the members of HR were locals from where I lived then and that track was very popular those days.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/17/16 12:07pm

Cthulhu

skipthecharades said:

If you also mean samples, I listened to The P yesterday and had big fun hearing a sample of Dominator - Human Resource in it. (as far as that's the original sound).


Fun because the members of HR were locals from where I lived then and that track was very popular those days.


In wich song did you hear that?

Would be funny to me because Dominator was from my hometown biggrin
Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/17/16 12:26pm

skipthecharade
s

Cthulhu said:

skipthecharades said:

If you also mean samples, I listened to The P yesterday and had big fun hearing a sample of Dominator - Human Resource in it. (as far as that's the original sound).

Fun because the members of HR were locals from where I lived then and that track was very popular those days.

In wich song did you hear that? Would be funny to me because Dominator was from my hometown biggrin

In the song The P. (unreleased rap track).

Then we might have the same hometown or at least close! smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/17/16 1:28pm

TheDigitalGard
ener

The James Brown sample in Gett Off.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 03/17/16 2:08pm

Miles

Well, Sly and the Family Stone's Family Affair is sampled throughout Y Should Eye Do That When Eye can Do This? for starters smile.


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 03/18/16 12:32am

Cthulhu

skipthecharades said:



Cthulhu said:


skipthecharades said:

If you also mean samples, I listened to The P yesterday and had big fun hearing a sample of Dominator - Human Resource in it. (as far as that's the original sound).


Fun because the members of HR were locals from where I lived then and that track was very popular those days.



In wich song did you hear that? Would be funny to me because Dominator was from my hometown biggrin


In the song The P. (unreleased rap track).


Then we might have the same hometown or at least close! smile


Cheers! I will take a look in my collection.

Dordrecht represents!
Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 03/18/16 3:37am

skipthecharade
s

Cthulhu said:

skipthecharades said:

In the song The P. (unreleased rap track).

Then we might have the same hometown or at least close! smile

Cheers! I will take a look in my collection. Dordrecht represents!

My place of birth! biggrin

Lived in HIA for a long time, and believe one of the members came from there as well.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 03/18/16 4:27am

Cthulhu

skipthecharades said:



Cthulhu said:


skipthecharades said:



In the song The P. (unreleased rap track).


Then we might have the same hometown or at least close! smile



Cheers! I will take a look in my collection. Dordrecht represents!

My place of birth! biggrin


Lived in HIA for a long time, and believe one of the members came from there as well.


Nice!
And that could be the case, yes.
Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 03/20/16 8:44pm

princeiscool

avatar

A sample from "sweet nothings" by Brenda Lee is in Kiss. It's right after the lyric, "if you want to impress me".
[Edited 3/20/16 20:52pm]
"this is where the PURPLE PARTY PEOPLE be"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 03/20/16 9:11pm

TrevorAyer

Fishbone in billy jack bitch
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 03/21/16 4:38am

databank

avatar

princeiscool said:

A sample from "sweet nothings" by Brenda Lee is in Kiss. It's right after the lyric, "if you want to impress me". [Edited 3/20/16 20:52pm]

It's not a sample but yeah, the Mazarati background vocals are a perfect imitation! Great catch, I never knew biggrin

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 03/21/16 7:45am

bonatoc

avatar

databank said:

princeiscool said:

A sample from "sweet nothings" by Brenda Lee is in Kiss. It's right after the lyric, "if you want to impress me". [Edited 3/20/16 20:52pm]

It's not a sample but yeah, the Mazarati background vocals are a perfect imitation! Great catch, I never knew biggrin


David Z said it himself, as OldFriends4Sale pointed out here:
http://prince.org/msg/7/422286

The Colors R brighter, the Bond is much tighter
No Child's a failure
Until the Blue Sailboat sails him away from his dreams
Don't Ever Lose, Don't Ever Lose
Don't Ever Lose Your Dreams
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 03/21/16 8:11am

CoolMF

Don't forget Jimi's "Little Miss Lover" sample in "Tick Tick Bang".

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 03/21/16 9:26am

steakfinger

I like the major elements of Bang a Gong by T. Rex that make up a large part of Cream. I also like how he repurposed Phone Sex by GOMAB for Girl 6. LoLz

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 03/28/16 6:39pm

BobGeorge909

avatar

Not exactly used or sampled. Somewhere between heavily influenced and emulated....but Europa by Santana in WILMHOY. I'm not crazy familiar with Santana's Europa but a close friend of mine who's also a huge Santana fan was always impresses that Prince referenced the ditty
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/02/16 8:42am

Chas

avatar

There's a website that has many of his samples: Who Sampled?

It lists 87 times he's sampled people.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/02/16 10:36am

luvsexy4all

i listened to tangerine dream..wheres the IIWYG sample???

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Other artists music Prince has used in his work