independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince article by Matt Thorne in UK's Daily Telegraph
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/15/14 6:09am

Mindflux

avatar

Prince article by Matt Thorne in UK's Daily Telegraph

Can't see that this has been posted already, so here's a link to an article by Prince biographer, Matt Thorne, in today's UK-based Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.u...4-him.html

I agree with the sentiment that Prince needs to release a record that is "astonishing" from start to finish - that would be great smile

...we have only scratched the surface of what the mind can do...

My dance project;
www.zubzub.co.uk

Listen to any of my tracks in full, for free, here;
www.zubzub.bandcamp.com

Go and glisten wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/15/14 6:17am

naffi

avatar

Mindflux said:

Can't see that this has been posted already, so here's a link to an article by Prince biographer, Matt Thorne, in today's UK-based Telegraph.


http://www.telegraph.co.u...4-him.html

I agree with the sentiment that Prince needs to release a record that is "astonishing" from start to finish - that would be great smile


But that is every recording artist goal, why direct it solely at Prince/3EG? If the speed of the tickets sales in the UK/Europe is anything to go by, the interest is still there.
[Edited 5/15/14 6:27am]
You know you are in love, when you cannot fall asleep because your reality is finally better than your dreams - Dr Seuss
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/15/14 6:28am

Mindflux

avatar

naffi said:

Mindflux said:

Can't see that this has been posted already, so here's a link to an article by Prince biographer, Matt Thorne, in today's UK-based Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.u...4-him.html

I agree with the sentiment that Prince needs to release a record that is "astonishing" from start to finish - that would be great smile

But that is every recording artist goal, why direct it solely at Prince/3EG?

Because, despite there being great moments on albums of the last 2 decades, none have been spectacular all the way through. Matt Thorne (and I would imagine many other observers), feels that the way for Prince to truly cement his legacy as one of the all-time greats is to serve up something that matches his hype.

The reality is that few artists (certainly in comparison to how many make music) release truly stunning pieces of work that are consistent throughout. Prince has is in his career, but not for a while now. Given this and that the article is about Prince, is why you find Matt making such an assertion.

...we have only scratched the surface of what the mind can do...

My dance project;
www.zubzub.co.uk

Listen to any of my tracks in full, for free, here;
www.zubzub.bandcamp.com

Go and glisten wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/15/14 8:11am

tricky99

avatar

Mindflux said:

naffi said:

Mindflux said: But that is every recording artist goal, why direct it solely at Prince/3EG?

Because, despite there being great moments on albums of the last 2 decades, none have been spectacular all the way through. Matt Thorne (and I would imagine many other observers), feels that the way for Prince to truly cement his legacy as one of the all-time greats is to serve up something that matches his hype.

The reality is that few artists (certainly in comparison to how many make music) release truly stunning pieces of work that are consistent throughout. Prince has is in his career, but not for a while now. Given this and that the article is about Prince, is why you find Matt making such an assertion.

So you don't think Prince has already cemented his legacy as an all time great? I believe he did that eons ago. Everything now is basically gravy. No matter what he releases it will never be viewed as highly as the work of the past.

What would a stunning work consist of? How stunning could it be weighed against the 100s and 100s of songs we have already heard? We as fans have to be more realistic in what we expect from Prince. Appreciate what he does instead of lamenting what he doesn't do.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/15/14 8:33am

lezama

avatar

Anyone who pays attention to this site knows that no two Prince fans even like the same songs consistently, so such a pipe dream about recording an album that will be universally "astonishing" probably ain't gonna happen.

Change it one more time..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/15/14 9:24am

stillwaiting

Decent article for once. Most have been awful. He made fun of the Stormtroopers Laser assault in "The Breakdown," which is interesting that someone in the media would be smart enough to see that as such an important thing to some of us diehards that love the song. I'm still holding out hope for a "Laser Free" version on an album.

I believe Prince is by leaps and bounds a better songwriter than Dylan for the music, but way behind on the lyrics...but who isn't to Dylan? But Prince is far superior as a musician and over the top superior as a singer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/15/14 10:28am

Genesia

avatar

stillwaiting said:

Decent article for once. Most have been awful. He made fun of the Stormtroopers Laser assault in "The Breakdown," which is interesting that someone in the media would be smart enough to see that as such an important thing to some of us diehards that love the song. I'm still holding out hope for a "Laser Free" version on an album.

I believe Prince is by leaps and bounds a better songwriter than Dylan for the music, but way behind on the lyrics...but who isn't to Dylan? But Prince is far superior as a musician and over the top superior as a singer.


Do you think he doesn't know about prince.org? I'd lay odds he read the thread.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/15/14 12:17pm

lezama

avatar

stillwaiting said:

Decent article for once. Most have been awful. He made fun of the Stormtroopers Laser assault in "The Breakdown," which is interesting that someone in the media would be smart enough to see that as such an important thing to some of us diehards that love the song. I'm still holding out hope for a "Laser Free" version on an album.

I believe Prince is by leaps and bounds a better songwriter than Dylan for the music, but way behind on the lyrics...but who isn't to Dylan? But Prince is far superior as a musician and over the top superior as a singer.

At first I was like WTF but I've come to really love the lazers and can't imagine the song without them. My only real hope is for live strings and drums.

Change it one more time..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/15/14 12:32pm

iZsaZsa

avatar

Genesia said:



stillwaiting said:


Decent article for once. Most have been awful. He made fun of the Stormtroopers Laser assault in "The Breakdown," which is interesting that someone in the media would be smart enough to see that as such an important thing to some of us diehards that love the song. I'm still holding out hope for a "Laser Free" version on an album.



I believe Prince is by leaps and bounds a better songwriter than Dylan for the music, but way behind on the lyrics...but who isn't to Dylan? But Prince is far superior as a musician and over the top superior as a singer.




Do you think he doesn't know about prince.org? I'd lay odds he read the thread.


nod He said some of the same things I've read on here.
What?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/15/14 12:35pm

datdude

I enjoyed the article. Matt Thorne is quite informed. Others covering Prince should take their cues from someone like him who does his homework. I like that he seems to get that P HAS made good music since the 80s that deserves a closer look despite the unevenness of his albums. My fear is that something "astonishingly good from start to finish" somehow would still be "missed" by today's music industry, fans and critics alike. Its just been dumbed down too much. Lotus is my "case in point" btw.

Nice read tho!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/15/14 2:22pm

Mindflux

avatar

tricky99 said:

Mindflux said:

Because, despite there being great moments on albums of the last 2 decades, none have been spectacular all the way through. Matt Thorne (and I would imagine many other observers), feels that the way for Prince to truly cement his legacy as one of the all-time greats is to serve up something that matches his hype.

The reality is that few artists (certainly in comparison to how many make music) release truly stunning pieces of work that are consistent throughout. Prince has is in his career, but not for a while now. Given this and that the article is about Prince, is why you find Matt making such an assertion.

So you don't think Prince has already cemented his legacy as an all time great? I believe he did that eons ago. Everything now is basically gravy. No matter what he releases it will never be viewed as highly as the work of the past.

What would a stunning work consist of? How stunning could it be weighed against the 100s and 100s of songs we have already heard? We as fans have to be more realistic in what we expect from Prince. Appreciate what he does instead of lamenting what he doesn't do.

Of course I think he has and I'm sure most around here do too. And so too with many music journalists, musicians and less casual fans that don't necessarily frequent these parts. But with the general public.....not really. For all the credit he does get, it's not as general as for Michael Jackson, or the Beatles, or Bowie or any of the other legends you could put up there.

I don't necessarily need Prince to be better recognised or adored, I couldn't care less really - what he means to me is what is important. It was a link to an article and the bit I said I agreed with was the "astonishing" album, from start to finish. Yes, there have been hundreds of songs over the years that have already given that tingle, but it has been some time since he strung all that greatness in to one, cohesive, mind-blowing set.

...we have only scratched the surface of what the mind can do...

My dance project;
www.zubzub.co.uk

Listen to any of my tracks in full, for free, here;
www.zubzub.bandcamp.com

Go and glisten wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/15/14 3:19pm

funksterr

FAM alert. That article was written from the false land of unicorns and rainbows. This semmingly innocuos passage, reveals the writers true intentions and is particularly azz-kissingly comical:

"As a live performer, Prince genuinely has no equal, clocking up as many five-star reviews now as he did 30 years ago. What makes him unique is not just his extraordinary talent, but the way he uses it. He can satisfy the largest stadium audiences with his greatest hits, but also delight the fussiest hard-core fan with deep cuts, unreleased songs and revealing cover versions."

This article reads like the writer is seriously IN LOVE with Prince. Like seriously has a romantic crush on the dude. I can breakdown in specifics why I have a problem with a lot of what he says, but to anyone that's been around a while you can't help but call BS at the end of every paragraph.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/15/14 5:21pm

GoldenEPump

avatar

funksterr said:

FAM alert. That article was written from the false land of unicorns and rainbows. This semmingly innocuos passage, reveals the writers true intentions and is particularly azz-kissingly comical:

"As a live performer, Prince genuinely has no equal, clocking up as many five-star reviews now as he did 30 years ago. What makes him unique is not just his extraordinary talent, but the way he uses it. He can satisfy the largest stadium audiences with his greatest hits, but also delight the fussiest hard-core fan with deep cuts, unreleased songs and revealing cover versions."

This article reads like the writer is seriously IN LOVE with Prince. Like seriously has a romantic crush on the dude. I can breakdown in specifics why I have a problem with a lot of what he says, but to anyone that's been around a while you can't help but call BS at the end of every paragraph.

Or that could be just, like, his opinion, man.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/15/14 6:40pm

SquirrelMeat

avatar

Good article in my opinion.

Prince has the chance to really cement is legacy with WB. I just fear the relationship will go sour again, because of Prince's demands.

.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/16/14 2:27am

Mindflux

avatar

funksterr said:

FAM alert. That article was written from the false land of unicorns and rainbows. This semmingly innocuos passage, reveals the writers true intentions and is particularly azz-kissingly comical:

"As a live performer, Prince genuinely has no equal, clocking up as many five-star reviews now as he did 30 years ago. What makes him unique is not just his extraordinary talent, but the way he uses it. He can satisfy the largest stadium audiences with his greatest hits, but also delight the fussiest hard-core fan with deep cuts, unreleased songs and revealing cover versions."

This article reads like the writer is seriously IN LOVE with Prince. Like seriously has a romantic crush on the dude. I can breakdown in specifics why I have a problem with a lot of what he says, but to anyone that's been around a while you can't help but call BS at the end of every paragraph.

Its a decent, considered article with the knowledge to back it up - you can't say that about 99% of the journalistic articles that have been written about Prince over the years!

So, just because he admires the man, he's not allowed to write a piece about him? Would you rather it be some hack who has only ever heard the major hits and refers to him as the "pint-sized popster"?!

And, the quote you used did nothing to further your point. Prince is widely regarded as being one of the best and most engaging live acts ever - this is not disputed anywhere. Yet you put that forward to show how this article is full of bullshit. FAIL!

...we have only scratched the surface of what the mind can do...

My dance project;
www.zubzub.co.uk

Listen to any of my tracks in full, for free, here;
www.zubzub.bandcamp.com

Go and glisten wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/16/14 3:51am

Pentacle

SquirrelMeat said:

Good article in my opinion.

Prince has the chance to really cement is legacy with WB. I just fear the relationship will go sour again, because of Prince's demands.

Yes, this is the only way. If all the Warners Bros albums receive special treatment, and the non-Warner albums stay out of print, then immortality is secured.

Stop the Prince Apologists ™
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/16/14 7:06am

tricky99

avatar

Mindflux said:

tricky99 said:

So you don't think Prince has already cemented his legacy as an all time great? I believe he did that eons ago. Everything now is basically gravy. No matter what he releases it will never be viewed as highly as the work of the past.

What would a stunning work consist of? How stunning could it be weighed against the 100s and 100s of songs we have already heard? We as fans have to be more realistic in what we expect from Prince. Appreciate what he does instead of lamenting what he doesn't do.

Of course I think he has and I'm sure most around here do too. And so too with many music journalists, musicians and less casual fans that don't necessarily frequent these parts. But with the general public.....not really. For all the credit he does get, it's not as general as for Michael Jackson, or the Beatles, or Bowie or any of the other legends you could put up there.

I don't necessarily need Prince to be better recognised or adored, I couldn't care less really - what he means to me is what is important. It was a link to an article and the bit I said I agreed with was the "astonishing" album, from start to finish. Yes, there have been hundreds of songs over the years that have already given that tingle, but it has been some time since he strung all that greatness in to one, cohesive, mind-blowing set.

How people view Prince will not change because of a steller album. They would have to hear it after all. And the masses are not going to care regardless of the the hype or reviews.

If he isn't considered a legend now he never will be. Even a steller album fades with time in the masses eyes becuase there are always new masses lol. U think most kids have even heard PR. They may know it exists but actually listened to it? probably not.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/16/14 11:39am

Mindflux

avatar

tricky99 said:

Mindflux said:

Of course I think he has and I'm sure most around here do too. And so too with many music journalists, musicians and less casual fans that don't necessarily frequent these parts. But with the general public.....not really. For all the credit he does get, it's not as general as for Michael Jackson, or the Beatles, or Bowie or any of the other legends you could put up there.

I don't necessarily need Prince to be better recognised or adored, I couldn't care less really - what he means to me is what is important. It was a link to an article and the bit I said I agreed with was the "astonishing" album, from start to finish. Yes, there have been hundreds of songs over the years that have already given that tingle, but it has been some time since he strung all that greatness in to one, cohesive, mind-blowing set.

How people view Prince will not change because of a steller album. They would have to hear it after all. And the masses are not going to care regardless of the the hype or reviews.

If he isn't considered a legend now he never will be. Even a steller album fades with time in the masses eyes becuase there are always new masses lol. U think most kids have even heard PR. They may know it exists but actually listened to it? probably not.

I don't believe that to be true and you understimate young music lovers and the impact that a widely acclaimed and appreciated album has (although, perhaps not as powerful as the golden age of record-buying).

When I was a kid, I didn't just listen to what was current. Once I really started to fall in love with music and buy my own records (not just taping the Top 40), I started with Prince and Madonna and the Beastie Boys etc etc, but as my tastes broadened (and I'm talking around 14/15 years old), I started listening to Pink Floyd (records produced 15-25 years before that time), Led Zeppelin (even older), Jimi, The Doors, Beatles, Zappa etc. Then moved on to old roots reggae, then progressive rock.....do you see what I'm getting at? You're assuming that kids who listen to Katy Perry/Timberlake or any of the other current big names, will only listen to a certain type and time-frame of music. Some do, some don't. Those with a genuine passion for music will listen to many styles and many artists from a range of time.

[Edited 5/16/14 11:41am]

...we have only scratched the surface of what the mind can do...

My dance project;
www.zubzub.co.uk

Listen to any of my tracks in full, for free, here;
www.zubzub.bandcamp.com

Go and glisten wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/16/14 11:54am

tricky99

avatar

Mindflux said:

tricky99 said:

How people view Prince will not change because of a steller album. They would have to hear it after all. And the masses are not going to care regardless of the the hype or reviews.

If he isn't considered a legend now he never will be. Even a steller album fades with time in the masses eyes becuase there are always new masses lol. U think most kids have even heard PR. They may know it exists but actually listened to it? probably not.

I don't believe that to be true and you understimate young music lovers and the impact that a widely acclaimed and appreciated album has (although, perhaps not as powerful as the golden age of record-buying).

When I was a kid, I didn't just listen to what was current. Once I really started to fall in love with music and buy my own records (not just taping the Top 40), I started with Prince and Madonna and the Beastie Boys etc etc, but as my tastes broadened (and I'm talking around 14/15 years old), I started listening to Pink Floyd (records produced 15-25 years before that time), Led Zeppelin (even older), Jimi, The Doors, Beatles, Zappa etc. Then moved on to old roots reggae, then progressive rock.....do you see what I'm getting at? You're assuming that kids who listen to Katy Perry/Timberlake or any of the other current big names, will only listen to a certain type and time-frame of music. Some do, some don't. Those with a genuine passion for music will listen to many styles and many artists from a range of time.

[Edited 5/16/14 11:41am]

Sure but you are Mindflux not one of the great unwashed masses lol. I get your point but those adventuous youngsters have or will discover Prince without him doing anything else let alone a steller album.

I'm not arguing against him producing one but just saying there is already plenty to digest and prove his legendaryness. One more steller album will not the difference make.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/16/14 12:37pm

Mindflux

avatar

tricky99 said:



Mindflux said:




tricky99 said:




How people view Prince will not change because of a steller album. They would have to hear it after all. And the masses are not going to care regardless of the the hype or reviews.



If he isn't considered a legend now he never will be. Even a steller album fades with time in the masses eyes becuase there are always new masses lol. U think most kids have even heard PR. They may know it exists but actually listened to it? probably not.




I don't believe that to be true and you understimate young music lovers and the impact that a widely acclaimed and appreciated album has (although, perhaps not as powerful as the golden age of record-buying).



When I was a kid, I didn't just listen to what was current. Once I really started to fall in love with music and buy my own records (not just taping the Top 40), I started with Prince and Madonna and the Beastie Boys etc etc, but as my tastes broadened (and I'm talking around 14/15 years old), I started listening to Pink Floyd (records produced 15-25 years before that time), Led Zeppelin (even older), Jimi, The Doors, Beatles, Zappa etc. Then moved on to old roots reggae, then progressive rock.....do you see what I'm getting at? You're assuming that kids who listen to Katy Perry/Timberlake or any of the other current big names, will only listen to a certain type and time-frame of music. Some do, some don't. Those with a genuine passion for music will listen to many styles and many artists from a range of time.


[Edited 5/16/14 11:41am]



Sure but you are Mindflux not one of the great unwashed masses lol. I get your point but those adventuous youngsters have or will discover Prince without him doing anything else let alone a steller album.



I'm not arguing against him producing one but just saying there is already plenty to digest and prove his legendaryness. One more steller album will not the difference make.



I won't argue with you on that :-)

BUT, I do think that Prince has suffered at the hands of the "Slave" years - the outside-of-the-music antics have somewhat overshadowed his reputation amongst the general public. As I've said on other threads, I really couldn't care less abut his general popularity - what he means to me is far more important. But I do thi k that many have forgotten just how good he is and a new, solid, focussed, creative album might turn that apathy. (Though, with the way the music biz is these days, he will probably need a few killer singles to boot).

Peace smile
...we have only scratched the surface of what the mind can do...

My dance project;
www.zubzub.co.uk

Listen to any of my tracks in full, for free, here;
www.zubzub.bandcamp.com

Go and glisten wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/16/14 1:51pm

funksterr

Mindflux said:

funksterr said:

FAM alert. That article was written from the false land of unicorns and rainbows. This semmingly innocuos passage, reveals the writers true intentions and is particularly azz-kissingly comical:

"As a live performer, Prince genuinely has no equal, clocking up as many five-star reviews now as he did 30 years ago. What makes him unique is not just his extraordinary talent, but the way he uses it. He can satisfy the largest stadium audiences with his greatest hits, but also delight the fussiest hard-core fan with deep cuts, unreleased songs and revealing cover versions."

This article reads like the writer is seriously IN LOVE with Prince. Like seriously has a romantic crush on the dude. I can breakdown in specifics why I have a problem with a lot of what he says, but to anyone that's been around a while you can't help but call BS at the end of every paragraph.

Its a decent, considered article with the knowledge to back it up - you can't say that about 99% of the journalistic articles that have been written about Prince over the years!

So, just because he admires the man, he's not allowed to write a piece about him? Would you rather it be some hack who has only ever heard the major hits and refers to him as the "pint-sized popster"?!

And, the quote you used did nothing to further your point. Prince is widely regarded as being one of the best and most engaging live acts ever - this is not disputed anywhere. Yet you put that forward to show how this article is full of bullshit. FAIL!

I chose that passage, because it is particularly loaded and if you didn't know any better, the BS in it could slide right past your radar. I could write paragraphs of counterpoints and criticisms about that article to illustrate how full of it the writer really is, but for those with eyes to see that paragraph aone should suffice. But on this one point alone, would anyone say that Prince concerts today are equal or better than the shows from 30 years ago? He does the concerts now for the paycheck and that's it. He spends the majority of the show trying to make sure he doesn't even sing his own lyrics. The Prince of today is a JW puppet coasting off our collective memories of the time when he thought for himself. None of us go to his shows seeking out his JW inspired material. That's why he plays mashups of ANYTHING that's familiar. Is that honestly better than his shows from 1984???

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/16/14 4:09pm

skywalker

avatar

Let's consider this:

-

Many of Prince's "stellar" albums from the glorious 80's we're not initially received as such. AWTWIAD, Parade, SOTT, Lovesexy all were released to mixed reviews by critics and a continually sagging response/sales from the masses.

-

Prince "needs" a "hit" album like he needs anotherloverholeinhishead.
"New Power slide...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/16/14 6:22pm

lezama

avatar

funksterr said:

He does the concerts now for the paycheck and that's it. He spends the majority of the show trying to make sure he doesn't even sing his own lyrics. The Prince of today is a JW puppet coasting off our collective memories of the time when he thought for himself. None of us go to his shows seeking out his JW inspired material.

OR he plays shows because he actually enjoys playing music (what a revolutionary thought.. i know.. ) its only the only thing he knows and has ever done. And religion has ALWAYS been a part of his music. If it offends you now, throw away everything and find another musician to listen to. Most of his audience isn't religious and still could give two shites whether he's JW or not.

Change it one more time..
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/17/14 2:42am

Marrk

avatar

Mindflux said:

tricky99 said:

Sure but you are Mindflux not one of the great unwashed masses lol. I get your point but those adventuous youngsters have or will discover Prince without him doing anything else let alone a steller album.

I'm not arguing against him producing one but just saying there is already plenty to digest and prove his legendaryness. One more steller album will not the difference make.

I won't argue with you on that smile BUT, I do think that Prince has suffered at the hands of the "Slave" years - the outside-of-the-music antics have somewhat overshadowed his reputation amongst the general public. As I've said on other threads, I really couldn't care less abut his general popularity - what he means to me is far more important. But I do thi k that many have forgotten just how good he is and a new, solid, focussed, creative album might turn that apathy. (Though, with the way the music biz is these days, he will probably need a few killer singles to boot). Peace smile

His visibility is a problem outside his fanbase too. His views on youtube are shocking on the 3EG channel. Nobody is looking for Prince. He's in the UK at present, any chance he'd go on TV whilst he's here? Probably not. I can't remember the last time he did.

[Edited 5/17/14 2:43am]

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/17/14 4:45am

funksterr

lezama said:

funksterr said:

He does the concerts now for the paycheck and that's it. He spends the majority of the show trying to make sure he doesn't even sing his own lyrics. The Prince of today is a JW puppet coasting off our collective memories of the time when he thought for himself. None of us go to his shows seeking out his JW inspired material.

OR he plays shows because he actually enjoys playing music (what a revolutionary thought.. i know.. ) its only the only thing he knows and has ever done. And religion has ALWAYS been a part of his music. If it offends you now, throw away everything and find another musician to listen to. Most of his audience isn't religious and still could give two shites whether he's JW or not.

Nah.. if it was just about playing music he wouldn't bother promoting the hits, which all require heavy editing to fit the constraints of his more recent beliefs. There is no reason to play them if he believes they are immoral or whatever. He'd have to charge less money, but he could tour and play his new songs exclusively, if it was just about playing live. But no he promises the hits and then butchers them in the name of religion. Somebody said the Daily Telegraph article was "well informed".. why wasn't any of that in the article?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/20/14 2:20pm

murph

Marrk said:

Mindflux said:

tricky99 said: I won't argue with you on that smile BUT, I do think that Prince has suffered at the hands of the "Slave" years - the outside-of-the-music antics have somewhat overshadowed his reputation amongst the general public. As I've said on other threads, I really couldn't care less abut his general popularity - what he means to me is far more important. But I do thi k that many have forgotten just how good he is and a new, solid, focussed, creative album might turn that apathy. (Though, with the way the music biz is these days, he will probably need a few killer singles to boot). Peace smile

His visibility is a problem outside his fanbase too. His views on youtube are shocking on the 3EG channel. Nobody is looking for Prince. He's in the UK at present, any chance he'd go on TV whilst he's here? Probably not. I can't remember the last time he did.

[Edited 5/17/14 2:43am]

Well...that has more to do with Prince's over the top policing of Youtube...Common sense, right? As for that no one wanting to see Prince on TV stuff?....That's silly no? He was on TV the last time he was in the UK...And he didn't even have to perform to get buzz...That's the one of the attributes Prince still has...A stellar reputation as a live act which gives him a card to appear on TV pretty much anytime he is promoting an album or tour...

I understand that this place has become over run by bitchy, Prince fans...But some of the over the top comments here need to be turned down a bit...This place feels less like Prince fan site and more of an alcoholics anonymous for fans who can't quit the Midget....

[Edited 5/20/14 14:21pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/20/14 2:47pm

80spfantwp

avatar

disregard

[Edited 5/20/14 14:55pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/20/14 3:06pm

Aerogram

avatar

All Prince has to do is make sure his next record is astonishing.

To me, that sums up both this article and people's expectations of Prince after all this time.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/20/14 4:28pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

Marrk said:

He's in the UK at present, any chance he'd go on TV whilst he's here? Probably not. I can't remember the last time he did.

Brit Awards. Three months ago.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/20/14 5:08pm

nursev

lezama said:

Anyone who pays attention to this site knows that no two Prince fans even like the same songs consistently, so such a pipe dream about recording an album that will be universally "astonishing" probably ain't gonna happen.



agreed
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince article by Matt Thorne in UK's Daily Telegraph