independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 16th Dec 2019 1:44am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > PEACH & BLACK PODCAST : Crystal Ball Review Part Two
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/30/14 2:00am

FunkyStrange

PEACH & BLACK PODCAST : Crystal Ball Review Part Two

First Aired: Wednesday, January 29th, 2014
Running Time: 1hr:55mins

http://peachandblack.podb...-part-two/

Well whoever saw that coming ? It must be time for the Crystal Ball Review : Part Two

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/31/14 4:44pm

kaine

Are you guys serious about not having heard a studio version of DOW? Or is this because P might be listening and you don't want him to know you know about dem boots.
1980-Present
First album bought: Controversy
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/03/14 8:21am

djThunderfunk

avatar

I think the obvious answer to why some of the quality 90s tracks ended up here instead of as B-Sides is his relationship at the time with WB. He was trying to get out of the contract, why would he give them more songs than he had to. This way, he didn't have to share even more material with them. wink

REEFER MADNESS!
Joe Biden still thinks marijuana is a gateway drug:
https://www.businessinsid...t-2019-11/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/03/14 12:18pm

FunkyStrange

kaine said:

Are you guys serious about not having heard a studio version of DOW? Or is this because P might be listening and you don't want him to know you know about dem boots.

Kaine, we have 'heard' the studio version... exists wink

Maybe one day it will get an official release..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/03/14 8:19pm

NinaB

avatar

Great show ☺
I too have always wished it was the beautiful experience vers of Days of wild.
Glad to hear MC loves Sexual suicide too (the drums!)
Crystal ball (the track) is just amazing. worship
Moviestar & Cloreen
biggrin
Acknowledge me always gets me dancing.
I've always had a soft spot for Last heart since back in the day when i had it on crusty old boot tapes.
I prob play about half the tracks on here.
[Edited 2/3/14 20:30pm]
"We just let people talk & say whatever they want 2 say. 9 times out of 10, trust me, what's out there now, I wouldn't give nary one of these folks the time of day. That's why I don't say anything back, because there's so much that's wrong" - P, Dec '15
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/05/14 9:47am

rlittler81

avatar

I have loved these podcasts since day one. Always interesting, always funny.

The best part is that they make me want to go back and re-discover Prince's back catalogue.

Great work guys!

3121... Don't U Wanna Come?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/06/14 1:59pm

MarshallStacks

avatar

rlittler81 said:

I have loved these podcasts since day one. Always interesting, always funny.

The best part is that they make me want to go back and re-discover Prince's back catalogue.

Great work guys!

Totally agree. Peach & Black is the only Prince podcast I regularly listen to. The always interesting, at times fascinating discussion, the way that one of the panel will often mention some new aspect of a well known and much played track or an obscure one that I hadn't thought of before, which makes one view the song in a new way, the irreverent sense of humour, the occasional crazy review of a song by one panel member or another, and of course, the in-depth insight into every track they cover, is always worth listening to.

I don't always agree with their reviews, which is part of the fun of it, but in general, I can see the logic in their opinions. Their album review of the 2010 album in particular, has made me reassess it as a better and more interesting album than I had previously thought (esp as I had a low regard for it originally), so they persuaded me to revisit and reassess it smile .

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/07/14 6:01pm

artist76

avatar

Thanks for this.
I like the podcasts because there's no one around me with whom I can talk about Prince ever, so these are like the discussions I'll never get to have with real people.
Btw, I live in L.A. - I know, lol
But my situation is weird, trust me. I'm in a bubble that does not allow for Prince fans.
Anyway, I liked how it covered the songs in chronological order - it was more coherent, made CB make more sense!
Also made me realize how some of his 90s stuff was really rockin' - much more than the stuff I'm hearing lately, even though he's supposedly going back to RnR.
Agree that Cloreen serves no purpose but to show me that, wow, Morris is really an excellent drummer! And otherwise just an insight into the process, but not a song. That's what I thought all those recent live stream snippets were. I can do I without them.

Will there be a big, special Purple Rain episode later this year? Not just reviewing the album, but the movie too?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/08/14 11:57am

FunkyStrange

Yes Purple Rain is on the list for this year wink

Gonna be a big year !

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/08/14 10:57pm

batman89

avatar

Great review of a difficult compilation. Enjoyed the podcast as always guys...keep em coming please. How "Interactive" was not the opener on TGE I'll never get over, Such a shame...TGE in it's original format could have potentially been his ticket back in to the stratosphere. After the success of D&P only a couple of years earlier...a WB released TGE would have been incredible and I maintain that Prince may have never severed ties with WB...a theory but something I feel has merit.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/14/14 8:53am

Lordy

avatar

Another excellent podcast - cheers gents. Great to hear the universal love for "Hide the bone" - I absolutely LOVE this track. It's like a giant funk robot bursting through the earth's crust, striding the continents, taking big fat full funk swings at all pale-assed tunes, smashing them into the stratosphere where they belong. Wicked business.

.

Also a little surprised that "Acknowledge Me" got good love too. I really like it - reminds me of Bobby Brown - shades of "Every little step"?

.

Ah man, sad to say this, but am I right in saying that you've only got 3 Prince albums left to do - Dirty Mind, 1999 and Purple Rain? What are you going to do after that?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/14/14 2:15pm

FunkyStrange

Lordy said:

Another excellent podcast - cheers gents. Great to hear the universal love for "Hide the bone" - I absolutely LOVE this track. It's like a giant funk robot bursting through the earth's crust, striding the continents, taking big fat full funk swings at all pale-assed tunes, smashing them into the stratosphere where they belong. Wicked business.

.

Also a little surprised that "Acknowledge Me" got good love too. I really like it - reminds me of Bobby Brown - shades of "Every little step"?

.

Ah man, sad to say this, but am I right in saying that you've only got 3 Prince albums left to do - Dirty Mind, 1999 and Purple Rain? What are you going to do after that?

Best desription of a song - ever !!!

and yes there are not many albums left to review... as to the future, you'll just have to wait and see smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/21/14 5:23pm

rialb

avatar

FunkyStrange said:

Lordy said:

Another excellent podcast - cheers gents. Great to hear the universal love for "Hide the bone" - I absolutely LOVE this track. It's like a giant funk robot bursting through the earth's crust, striding the continents, taking big fat full funk swings at all pale-assed tunes, smashing them into the stratosphere where they belong. Wicked business.

.

Also a little surprised that "Acknowledge Me" got good love too. I really like it - reminds me of Bobby Brown - shades of "Every little step"?

.

Ah man, sad to say this, but am I right in saying that you've only got 3 Prince albums left to do - Dirty Mind, 1999 and Purple Rain? What are you going to do after that?

Best desription of a song - ever !!!

and yes there are not many albums left to review... as to the future, you'll just have to wait and see smile

I have seen the future and it will be...a full review of Bria Valente's Elixer!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/23/14 11:22pm

FunkyStrange

rialb said:

I have seen the future and it will be...a full review of Bria Valente's Elixer!

Well, there is a new episode making it's way through the Peach & Black studios this week, so you never know !

[Edited 2/23/14 23:22pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > PEACH & BLACK PODCAST : Crystal Ball Review Part Two