independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Thu 14th Nov 2019 3:08am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince on American Bandstand 1.26.1980
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 10/18/13 9:44am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Prince on American Bandstand 1.26.1980

January 26. 1980
American Bandstand w/ Dick Clark:
I Wanna Be Your Lover
Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?

prince (784) Animated Gif on Giphy prince (784) Animated Gif on Giphy

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 10/18/13 9:46am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

". These two R&B successes were performed on January 26, 1980, on American BandstandAmerican BandstandAmerican Bandstand was a television show that aired in various versions from 1952 to 1989, hosted from 1957 until its final season by Dick Clark, who also served as producer...


with this first backing band. Legend has it that Prince became annoyed when, during the interview segment, host Dick Clark expressed surprise that Prince and his bandmates were from Minneapolis "of all places". Prince refused to speak, instead answering a question by gesturing with his hand. It was later admitted by Dez Dickerson that it was planned from the beginning as a way to disconcert Clark. Dickerson was quoted as saying, "Great. We're illiterate, but we play well."

prince (784) Animated Gif on Giphy

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 10/18/13 9:47am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

American Bandstand's Top 10 Moments

By Jorge Gomez,
With the passing away of Dick Clark, we look back to look at some of the best moments that Clark and 'American Bandstand' have brought us.

American Bandstand began its run in 1952, with Dick Clark taking over as host in 1956. He remained the show’s host until the end of its run, which came in 1989. The show consisted of teenagers dancing to the current hits of the time. It also included musical guests, which varied from Janet Jackson to The Doors.

Bandstand helped Dick Clark become a television icon and it inspired other musical shows, like Soul Train and the UK’s Top of the Pops.

With Clark’s recent passing, we take a look back at some of the best moments that Clark brought us with American Bandstand.

10. Prince makes his national TV debut


Read more at http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/04/american-bandstands-top-10-moments#ZwvWmR4IUr5g2dUu.99

In 1980, Prince made his national television debut on American Bandstand. At the age of 19, the Purple One performed “I Wanna Be Your Lover” and “Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad.” In the interview with Clark, he revealed that he did not accept anyone’s record deals, despite people wanting to sign him because he would not be allowed to produce. This appearance by Prince was at the beginning of what would become a successful career. Throughout his career, Prince would go on to win seven Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, an Academy Awards, and be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.


Read more at http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/04/american-bandstands-top-10-moments#ZwvWmR4IUr5g2dUu.99
#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 10/18/13 10:51am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Prince's First Appearance on American Bandstand

The two hour Dick Clark tribute show that aired on New Year's Eve counted down the top 30 moments/clips from his career, an eclectic selection of highlights that showcased Clark's versatility, ad-libbing skills and peerless ability to connect with artists (and fans) from several different generations. Choosing such a list is inherently subjective because Clark's multi-decade career cannot be summarized in just two hours--or, to be more precise, his career could be summarized in several different ways if only two hours are available to do so.

One clip that did not make the cut is Prince's American Bandstand debut, a performance that became as infamous for Prince's brief answers when being interviewed by Clark as it did for Prince's precocity; Prince's debut album, "For You," contained this soon to be famous declaration on the cover: "Produced, Arranged, Composed & Performed by Prince." Clark explained that Prince turned down several record deals until he obtained the right to make that declaration not just a dream or a boast but a reality. Although Prince was in fact 21--not 19, as he told Clark--when he appeared on American Bandstand, he was just a teenager when he put together "For You."

http://chanceandnecessity...rican.html

prince (784) Animated Gif on Giphy

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 10/18/13 12:36pm

Billmenever

He looked nervous.

Why didn't he ever appear on Soul Train?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 10/18/13 12:52pm

G3000

This was Prince at his most Flamboyant, (hands on the hips..the voice during the interview). When he say's "They would let me produce myself," I was like eek ! I wonder what was a reasoning behind it? He never acted this whimsical again...why Prince WHY?? confuse

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 10/18/13 1:29pm

thaddlephakkum

Sexy mf shakin that ass, shakin that ass, shakin that ass



  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 10/18/13 1:36pm

LadyZsaZsa

avatar


batting eyes!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 10/18/13 5:27pm

MadamGoodnight

4 fingers lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 10/22/13 8:18am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Billmenever said:

He looked nervous.

Why didn't he ever appear on Soul Train?

it was an act...

I thought he did years later during 1999 era... or was that Solid Gold

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 10/25/13 7:56am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Clark long remembered his tough interview with a quiet Prince

  • Article by: JON BREAM , Star Tribune
  • Updated: April 18, 2012 - 9:09 PM

Dick Clark picked up the phone and cut to the chase. "What is this interview for?" said the man who was involved with too many TV projects for a reporter to keep track of. He wanted to know the subject and the media in which this interview was to be presented.

When he learned it was "The American Music Awards" for a newspaper, he said to fire away and, in his answers, he proceeded to drop more expletives than Axl Rose at a Guns N' Roses concert.

That interview took place in 1995. I asked one of popular music's all-time most important tastemakers to revisit his infamous 1980 interview with Prince, our local hero, on "American Bandstand." Prince was just starting out. While he was exciting when he performed, he was shy and standoffish when trying to talk.

Clark asked the musician how many instruments he played. Prince answered, "Thousands."

Dick Clark picked up the phone and cut to the chase. "What is this interview for?" said the man who was involved with too many TV projects for a reporter to keep track of. He wanted to know the subject and the media in which this interview was to be presented.

When he learned it was "The American Music Awards" for a newspaper, he said to fire away and, in his answers, he proceeded to drop more expletives than Axl Rose at a Guns N' Roses concert.

That interview took place in 1995. I asked one of popular music's all-time most important tastemakers to revisit his infamous 1980 interview with Prince, our local hero, on "American Bandstand." Prince was just starting out. While he was exciting when he performed, he was shy and standoffish when trying to talk.

Clark asked the musician how many instruments he played. Prince answered, "Thousands."

Asked how long he'd been playing, Prince merely raised four fingers.

Clark remembered it vividly. "He didn't talk to me," the "Bandstand" host said 15 years after the fact. "I've always said that was one of the most difficult interviews I've ever conducted, and I've done 10,000 musician interviews."

Was it Prince? Was it Clark? Was it the moment?

"No, that's the nature of the man," said Clark, who had since worked with Prince a few times on "The American Music Awards."

"He's an extraordinary performer and not a particularly verbose one in public conversation. Though once you're off-camera, he's like everybody else -- very normal. It's like all of the mystery people in entertainment. Michael Jackson's not a communicator in public but in the privacy of a room, he's like everybody else: He talks. And Prince is the same. ... But I don't advise him on career moves."

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 10/25/13 9:00am

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Billmenever said:

He looked nervous.

Why didn't he ever appear on Soul Train?

it was an act...

I thought he did years later during 1999 era... or was that Solid Gold

soild gold twice IIRC (and he was on Midnight Special too Jan 8 1980)

and then in the 90s Soul Train (he did Now and Acknowledge me and maybe Love Sign?)



Midnight Special Jan 8 1980 Why you wanna.... I wanna be...


Solid Gold Dec 14 1992: 1999



Solid Gold Apri 4 1993 LRC


Soul Train April 9th? 1994 "The Most Beautiful Girl In The World" "Now" "Acknowledge Me" "Love Sign"

[Edited 10/25/13 9:13am]

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 10/26/13 4:49am

BartVanHemelen

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

with this first backing band. Legend has it that Prince became annoyed when, during the interview segment, host Dick Clark expressed surprise that Prince and his bandmates were from Minneapolis "of all places". Prince refused to speak, instead answering a question by gesturing with his hand. It was later admitted by Dez Dickerson that it was planned from the beginning as a way to disconcert Clark. Dickerson was quoted as saying, "Great. We're illiterate, but we play well."

Yet if you believe Pepe Willie (which I don't) Prince was genuinely shy at that time. He said so in that rubbish documentary aired on BBC Three a couple of years ago.

© Bart Van Hemelen
This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties, and confers no rights.
It is not authorized by Prince or the NPG Music Club. You assume all risk for
your use. All rights reserved.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 11/11/13 6:27am

rudeboynpg

avatar

G3000 said:

This was Prince at his most Flamboyant, (hands on the hips..the voice during the interview). When he say's "They would let me produce myself," I was like eek ! I wonder what was a reasoning behind it? He never acted this whimsical again...why Prince WHY?? confuse

It was a calculated publicity stunt and rebellious prank concocted by Prince. He was using the American Bandstand apperance to trying to create some shock and outrage to get people talking about him and create a sense of mystery about himself with silence and create a provocatively androgynous image. Prince had no personal dislike for Dick Clark. Prince admitted years later, "Not sure why but Mr Clark seemed 2 genuinely like me, and I liked him also."

From David Hill's book A Pop Life:

[Edited 11/11/13 17:13pm]

prince "Don't dance with the devil in the pale moonlight. The curious try and always die." prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 11/13/13 4:21pm

chriss

avatar

This says he was 19 in 1980. NOT! He was 21!

OldFriends4Sale said:

American Bandstand's Top 10 Moments

By Jorge Gomez,
With the passing away of Dick Clark, we look back to look at some of the best moments that Clark and 'American Bandstand' have brought us.

American Bandstand began its run in 1952, with Dick Clark taking over as host in 1956. He remained the show’s host until the end of its run, which came in 1989. The show consisted of teenagers dancing to the current hits of the time. It also included musical guests, which varied from Janet Jackson to The Doors.

Bandstand helped Dick Clark become a television icon and it inspired other musical shows, like Soul Train and the UK’s Top of the Pops.

With Clark’s recent passing, we take a look back at some of the best moments that Clark brought us with American Bandstand.

10. Prince makes his national TV debut


Read more at http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/04/american-bandstands-top-10-moments#ZwvWmR4IUr5g2dUu.99

In 1980, Prince made his national television debut on American Bandstand. At the age of 19, the Purple One performed “I Wanna Be Your Lover” and “Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad.” In the interview with Clark, he revealed that he did not accept anyone’s record deals, despite people wanting to sign him because he would not be allowed to produce. This appearance by Prince was at the beginning of what would become a successful career. Throughout his career, Prince would go on to win seven Grammy Awards, a Golden Globe, an Academy Awards, and be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2004.


Read more at http://thecelebritycafe.com/feature/2012/04/american-bandstands-top-10-moments#ZwvWmR4IUr5g2dUu.99

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 11/16/13 5:26pm

nursev

MadamGoodnight said:

4 fingers lol



lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 11/16/13 11:43pm

Jamzone333

avatar

I remember seeing this performance. If I'm correct, the night before, Prince appeared on the Midnight Special...good times...
"A united state of mind will never be divided
The real definition of unity is 1
People can slam their door, disagree and fight it
But how U gonna love the Father but not love the Son?
United States of Division"
gigglebowfroguitar
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 11/20/13 8:42am

Mandingo

I actually think that P was telling Dick 2 talk 2 the hand upon his coming on the show..

That all sounded so wrong neutral

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince on American Bandstand 1.26.1980