independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 22nd Feb 2020 10:31am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's songs for other artists/associates you wish he'd reclaim like Shhh or never gave to other acts
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/09/13 6:44am

vikfunk

avatar

Prince's songs for other artists/associates you wish he'd reclaim like Shhh or never gave to other acts

Edit: What I meant is P should've recorded and released those songs (instead of giving it away) himself back then when they're fresh, and not re-record it now in 2013 smile. So, for example I wish he'd record or at least reclaim GGLT from the Time in 1981 or at least still in the early 80s.

The Screams of Passion

Mutiny

Manic Monday

Gigolo Gets Lonely Too

777-9311

[Edited 9/9/13 7:16am]

Is everybody wet?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/09/13 6:52am

thedance

avatar

yeah Shhh was fantastic, originally offered to/ made by Tevin Campbell.

I am not so sure Prince these days can repeat that again - with success.

To hear a "new 2013" version of the classic "Manic Monday" - that would probably make our ears bleed.

Imho Prince has lost it, the classics from back then wouldn't be great, when re-recorded.

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/09/13 7:17am

vikfunk

avatar

thedance said:

yeah Shhh was fantastic, originally offered to/ made by Tevin Campbell.

I am not so sure Prince these days can repeat that again - with success.

To hear a "new 2013" version of the classic "Manic Monday" - that would probably make our ears bleed.

Imho Prince has lost it, the classics from back then wouldn't be great, when re-recorded.

My thought exactly. I'm not talking about re-recording them now, but rather he should've recorded the songs himself back then. I've edited my post for clarity.

Is everybody wet?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/09/13 7:31am

kookooman73

Love Thy Will Be Done is my favourite ever Prince song. It's beautiful in every which way!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/09/13 7:52am

khemseraph

kookooman73 said:

Love Thy Will Be Done is my favourite ever Prince song. It's beautiful in every which way!!

Oh my I wished he had put this out himself.along with a love bizarre...not that I minded sheila,screams of passion,all day all night,eternity and 101
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/09/13 10:25am

dJJ

I think he can still use material from other era's for new output.

Recently I heard recordings of '77. I hope he will release those, or use that disco, funky, jazzy style.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/09/13 10:40am

SuperSoulFight
er

Yo Mister
I just wish he'd do that one live. Even as a duet with Shelby, what the hell. I love that song. cool
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/09/13 10:44am

SuperSoulFight
er

Oh, btw, he still plays Mutiny. I never expected to hear it live, but there I was in the Melkweg Amsterdam and he did it! Followed by Chocolate! Awesome! There's still hope, guys!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/09/13 10:53am

dJJ

SuperSoulFighter said:

Yo Mister I just wish he'd do that one live. Even as a duet with Shelby, what the hell. I love that song. cool



I think Shelby and Prince work well as friends.

On stage or in a duet, not so much.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/09/13 10:56am

Efan

avatar

100 MPH

I'm fine that he gave it away and I don't care if he ever records it; I just would love to hear him do it live sometime.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/09/13 1:26pm

scorp84

I might not want to hear them now, but if he released the original tracks with his scratch vocals, I would be really eager to hear em!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/09/13 1:30pm

Javi

Like others have said, "Manic Monday" and "Love... Thy Will Be Done". Two of my favourite Prince tunes.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/09/13 1:45pm

errant

avatar

Open Book & Love Thy Will Be Done
"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/09/13 1:46pm

errant

avatar

Desire
"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 09/09/13 1:47pm

errant

avatar

Noon Rendezvous
"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 09/10/13 1:14am

Javi

errant said:

Desire

Oh yes. One of the most delicious melodies Prince has ever written.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 09/10/13 2:06am

funkaholic1972

avatar

scorp84 said:

I might not want to hear them now, but if he released the original tracks with his scratch vocals, I would be really eager to hear em!

That would be awesome: a remastered boxset of his original 80's sattelite groups albums, but with Prince singing all the vocals!

RIP Prince: thank U 4 a funky Time!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 09/10/13 8:01am

dJJ

Snowman.


I like that song.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 09/11/13 1:04am

databank

avatar

Side projects aside, Prince hits given to others or made hits by others are:

Chaka's I Feel For You

Sinead's Nothing Comparse 2 U

Sheena Easton's Sugar Walls

The Bangles' Manic Monday

and to a lesser but significant enough degree, Martika's Love... Thy Will Be Done (not such a hit in terms of sales but it had massive airplay on radio & TV in Europe)

Prince sings I Feel For You and Nothing Comparse 2 U all the time.

Love... Thy Will Be Done has been per4med live every once in a while but would definitely deserve to be on the setlist more often.

That leaves us with Manic Monday and Sugar Walls.

Obviously Prince can't sing Sugar Walls himself and also I'm not sure the lyrics would fit with his current philosphy but since he seems pretty alright with sexual songs as long as they don't contain profanities, I say it would be wonderful to have Shelby or Elisa sing it biggrin

As for Manic Monday, it's a mystery to me: it was such a massive hit, every one knows that song! But I don't think it's been inculded in a single setlist, ever. Prince SHOULD sing it when he does "hits" shows, it really belongs there. I was even thinking that there could be a funky mash-up between Manic Monday and 1999, since they share the same melody and chords more or less. Try and sing Manic Monday over the synth "ta-taa-taa-taa" of 1999, it works like wonder biggrin biggrin biggrin

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 09/11/13 1:28am

Javi

databank said:

Side projects aside, Prince hits given to others or made hits by others are:

Chaka's I Feel For You

Sinead's Nothing Comparse 2 U

Sheena Easton's Sugar Walls

The Bangles' Manic Monday

and to a lesser but significant enough degree, Martika's Love... Thy Will Be Done (not such a hit in terms of sales but it had massive airplay on radio & TV in Europe)

Prince sings I Feel For You and Nothing Comparse 2 U all the time.

Love... Thy Will Be Done has been per4med live every once in a while but would definitely deserve to be on the setlist more often.

That leaves us with Manic Monday and Sugar Walls.

Obviously Prince can't sing Sugar Walls himself and also I'm not sure the lyrics would fit with his current philosphy but since he seems pretty alright with sexual songs as long as they don't contain profanities, I say it would be wonderful to have Shelby or Elisa sing it biggrin

As for Manic Monday, it's a mystery to me: it was such a massive hit, every one knows that song! But I don't think it's been inculded in a single setlist, ever. Prince SHOULD sing it when he does "hits" shows, it really belongs there. I was even thinking that there could be a funky mash-up between Manic Monday and 1999, since they share the same melody and chords more or less. Try and sing Manic Monday over the synth "ta-taa-taa-taa" of 1999, it works like wonder biggrin biggrin biggrin

Yeah, I have the same feelings regarding "Manic Monday". By the way, there's been a David McAlmont show in London recently (I opened a thread about it) where he started with the famous "1999" riff just to go on singing the lyrics of "Manic Monday". So more or less the mash-up we'd like Prince himself to do... biggrin

[Edited 9/11/13 1:29am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 09/11/13 1:50am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

errant said:

Open Book & Love Thy Will Be Done

Love Thy Will Be Done but I want Prince singing on the NPG version with the guitars.

RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 09/11/13 1:25pm

errant

avatar

TheEnglishGent said:



errant said:


Open Book & Love Thy Will Be Done


Love Thy Will Be Done but I want Prince singing on the NPG version with the guitars.




Never really cared for that version. Too Vegas and cheesy sounding.
"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 09/11/13 7:50pm

callimnate

avatar

To me.... SHHHHHH only ever sounded fantastic on the Beautiful Experience show from Paisley Park.

As always with P, it was over-produced on TGE. mad

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 09/14/13 7:27am

MrNorway

In my opinion Prince should`ve never have given away "The Dance Electric". That would be a fantastic song to put out on one of his own albums. Besides that one I also don`t think that Patti Labelle does the fantastic song "I hear your voice" justice, so Prince should never have given that one away either. Prince`s demo is so much better IMHO.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 09/14/13 7:46am

mikeyaddict

avatar

Cool - Rereleased now with his vocal itd be a hit.
Comin str8 outta Preston...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 09/14/13 11:31am

fabriziovenera
ndi

Neon Telephone

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince's songs for other artists/associates you wish he'd reclaim like Shhh or never gave to other acts