independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 21st Oct 2019 12:08am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > My ranking and reviews of the new tracks.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 09/09/13 3:33am

MattyJam

avatar

My ranking and reviews of the new tracks.

How do you rate them?

Here's my ranking:

1. RNR Love Affair At first all I could hear was Take Me With U, but with repeated listens it forged its own identity. The song is insanely catchy, particularly the bridge ("This kind of love don't come from a prayer..."). Definitely the best of the recent tracks. 9/10

2. Screwdriver I'm a sucker for these kind of pop/rock ditties and nobody really does them these days except for Prince. It sounds less polished than his other recent rock tracks, more raw and spontaneous, which is a welcome change. I particularly like the Let's Go Crazy-esque guitar playing at the end. 8/10

3. Boyfriend Much of Prince's recent attempts at R&B make me cringe, but this is sweet. Love the horns and the chorus gets stuck in your head. Funky little R&B number that doesn't overstay its welcome. 7/10

4. Groovy Potential Chilled out, breezy little number. Strangely catchy considering its lack of any real chorus. Great use of horns and some nice guitar licks throughout. I particularly love the breakdown at the end which takes the song to a whole other level. 7/10

5. That Girl Thang Love Prince's acoustic tracks. This is very hypnotic and really works. I'd take this over ballads like Satisfied or Sea of Everything any day. 7/10

6. Live Out Loud I find it hard to be interested in his newer protégés (I couldn't even sit through one listen of Bria's album), but this song is decent. Quite an anthemic chorus, nothing spectacular but it gets stuck in your head. 6/10

7. Fixurlifeup A decent enough track, a few clunky lyrics but it kind of works. After the second verse the song seems to lose its steam. Guitar solo is a mess. 6/10

8. Breakfast Can Wait A very strange choice of single, just doesn't really go anywhere or offer anything particularly interesting to say, musically or otherwise. Not terrible, but definitely not single worthy material. 5/10
[Edited 9/9/13 3:45am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 09/09/13 4:43am

bigd74

avatar

What about Extralovable Reloaded? I love it, way better than the last one with the Andy Allo rap. Would still love Same Page Different Book and Laydown extended in proper quality.
[Edited 9/9/13 4:43am]
She Believed in Fairytales and Princes, He Believed the voices coming from his stereo

If I Said You Had A Beautiful Body Would You Hold It Against Me?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 09/09/13 5:39am

SuperSoulFight
er

U forgot The Breakdown- even if I've heared only half of it, it's easily the best of all of these. So that's half a good Prince song in 8 months. I really cannot say that "2013 is going to be big".
[Edited 9/9/13 5:39am]
[Edited 9/9/13 5:41am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 09/09/13 5:45am

thedance

avatar

Easy:



1. Breakfast Can Wait
, a sexxy ballad... 8/10

2................................... the rest = crap.

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 09/09/13 5:48am

SlowNslipp3ryG
r00vy

10 for everything for me cool no complaints

CCMCC Graduate....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 09/09/13 5:57am

thedance

avatar

Same Page, Different Book.

^ is okay but nothing special.

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 09/09/13 6:56am

MattyJam

avatar

SuperSoulFighter said:

U forgot The Breakdown- even if I've heared only half of it, it's easily the best of all of these. So that's half a good Prince song in 8 months. I really cannot say that "2013 is going to be big".
[Edited 9/9/13 5:39am]
[Edited 9/9/13 5:41am]


Waiting to hear a studio version of that one...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 09/09/13 7:01am

errant

avatar

Ain't Gonna Miss U & Extraloveable reloaded?
"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 09/10/13 7:50am

dJJ

My favorite songs.

The Breakdown.

I love this song. Very curious how it sounds like when it's officially a song.

Breakfast can wait.
Loved it when I first heard it and I still love it.

Girl thang.

One of my favorites.
I bought it and loved it. Listened to it over and over again. Then my computer crashed. I lost the song, and can't buy it anymore. It's my favorite, so hope that I can get it again.

Groovy Potential.
Love it. Nuff said.

R&R affair.
Catchy, sweet lyrics and I like the video.

Fix Ur Life Up.

Again, a personal favorite. I really dig the song. And I really like the video.


Screwdriver.

I like this song. Makes me laugh and it works good live. I'm not fond of the video. I think a video of a life performance would be much better. I like the coloring and other techniques, but the way it is now, it's somewhat silly.

Boyfriend.

Like it. It's not on the top of my list, but it's a nice song. I like the lyrics. Yes, I'm a dreamy girl.

Extralovable

Smooth song. But it's too smooth for my taste. Can't get into it. I get bored, don't even listen to the whole song. It's a no for me.

Same Page, Different Book

I like Shelby on this song. I really apreciate the most lyrics in this song. However what I don't like is the line about Galations. I guess its shows that I'm not JW.

Liveoutloud

No. I don't know, it's just not appealing to me. Despite the lyrics. It's not a sticky one for me.


Ain't gonna miss you.

No. Not my thing.


3rdEyegirl:

Menstrual cycle.
Love it.

Octopus Heart.

Love it.

Big city
Never heard it.



99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 09/10/13 1:01pm

ConsciousConta
ct

What's the dance version of Fix Ur Life Up, that plays before the Stockholm show? That's hot.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 09/10/13 4:49pm

dJJ

ConsciousContact said:

What's the dance version of Fix Ur Life Up, that plays before the Stockholm show? That's hot.



Meh, if I remember correctly, I was not impressed. Very mainstream simple dance track.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 09/11/13 8:53am

mushmackalenta

Rock n roll love Affair 8
Same page Different book 7 (for some reason this always sounds better than does in my mind)
Screwdriver 7
Fix u're life up 7
Extra loveable reloaded 7
Boyfriend 8
breakfast Can Wait 8
Ain't Gonna Miss u 7
Groovy Potential 9
Girl thang 5

I find it hard to believe Groovy Potential is an out take. It's one his best in years.
[Edited 9/11/13 9:00am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 09/11/13 9:14am

ConsciousConta
ct

dJJ said:

ConsciousContact said:

What's the dance version of Fix Ur Life Up, that plays before the Stockholm show? That's hot.



Meh, if I remember correctly, I was not impressed. Very mainstream simple dance track.


The beauty is in the simplicity wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 09/12/13 3:35am

dJJ

ConsciousContact said:

dJJ said:



Meh, if I remember correctly, I was not impressed. Very mainstream simple dance track.


The beauty is in the simplicity wink



In general yes. But this song no. For me that is.

I grew up with dance music and had the luck to be surrounded with a few of the best dj's ever.

I just can't handle this kind of simplicity. But, maybe it works for others. I'm not the golden standard when it comes to music wink

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > My ranking and reviews of the new tracks.