independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 25th Jan 2020 2:33am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Has he accomplished it all ? What could be left ?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/20/13 6:44pm

Controversy

avatar

Has he accomplished it all ? What could be left ?

Ok I just watch the Billboard Icon award and thought has he now accomplished everything ? What could be left for him ? He has Oscar, Brit awards, MTV awards, Billboard Icon, Grammys & RRHOF. He has had number one singles, highest selling albums, a hit movie and written no.1 songs for others. He has also performed everywhere with record breaking shows, 21 nights in London and the Superbowl etc

What could possibly be left for him ? Is there anything left ?

I just can't believe all the things people say !
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/20/13 7:17pm

Marrk

avatar

Retirement?

Not that i want this. Some will, no doubt. I'll point it out before they start.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/20/13 7:26pm

riocoolnes

avatar

Prince has only performed in latin america 3 times, ALso i don't think he's too huge in africa. WHy not spread the music prince.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/20/13 7:27pm

skywalker

avatar

Oh come now. Although I am sure Prince is grateful for all of the accolades, awards, records, etc, I doubt that is what motivates him to make music.

"New Power slide...."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/20/13 7:30pm

Marrk

avatar

skywalker said:

Oh come now. Although I am sure Prince is grateful for all of the accolades, awards, records, etc, I doubt that is what motivates him to make music.

Of course it doesn't. It better not anyway.

Yeah, we'll, we'll try to imagine what silence looks like.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/20/13 8:17pm

jillybean

avatar

He could open up the vault.
"She made me glad to be a man"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/20/13 10:17pm

PurpleSpirit31
9

riocoolnes said:

Prince has only performed in latin america 3 times, ALso i don't think he's too huge in africa. WHy not spread the music prince.

Basically, hes toured where the money is!! I am positive that he eyes the financial markets and if a countrys currency is strong enough then he will tour there!! lol lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/21/13 9:01am

riocoolnes

avatar

PurpleSpirit319 said:

riocoolnes said:

Prince has only performed in latin america 3 times, ALso i don't think he's too huge in africa. WHy not spread the music prince.

Basically, hes toured where the money is!! I am positive that he eyes the financial markets and if a countrys currency is strong enough then he will tour there!! lol lol

THeres a ton of money in latin america. All the biggest in the world tour there. Nobody knows Prince exists in Latin america. I went to mexico and said i love prince and they had no idea who he was lol.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/21/13 9:17am

leadline

avatar

Controversy said:

Ok I just watch the Billboard Icon award and thought has he now accomplished everything ? What could be left for him ? He has Oscar, Brit awards, MTV awards, Billboard Icon, Grammys & RRHOF. He has had number one singles, highest selling albums, a hit movie and written no.1 songs for others. He has also performed everywhere with record breaking shows, 21 nights in London and the Superbowl etc

What could possibly be left for him ? Is there anything left ?

He has yet to shave his head and go on tour only singing Debbie Gibson classics. So see, there is always a new area for him to turn.

"You always get the dream that you deserve, from what you value the most" -Prince 2013
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/21/13 9:20am

luvsexy4all

frre show on the great lawn of central Park

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/21/13 9:22am

steakfinger

riocoolnes said:

Prince has only performed in latin america 3 times, ALso i don't think he's too huge in africa. WHy not spread the music prince.

Because those macismo-ass cultures aren't too keen on udes who look like old lesbians?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/21/13 10:17am

Tremolina

Controversy said:

Ok I just watch the Billboard Icon award and thought has he now accomplished everything ? What could be left for him ? He has Oscar, Brit awards, MTV awards, Billboard Icon, Grammys & RRHOF. He has had number one singles, highest selling albums, a hit movie and written no.1 songs for others. He has also performed everywhere with record breaking shows, 21 nights in London and the Superbowl etc

What could possibly be left for him ? Is there anything left ?

If what you say is all that matters, then you are right: there is nothing left.


What a cold, lonely world.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/21/13 10:23am

Nothinbutjoy

avatar

There is still so much for him to do, if he chooses to. In no particular order:

.

Open the vault (highfive jillybean)

.

Remaster his past music

.

(IMHO) Write some songs that have soul stirring lyrics as well as great music

.

Help a protege actually have a great musical career

.

(IMHO)Date a woman closer to his own age

I'm firmly planted in denial
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/21/13 10:51am

3rdeyedude

avatar

Nothinbutjoy said:

There is still so much for him to do, if he chooses to. In no particular order:

.

Open the vault (highfive jillybean)

.

Remaster his past music

.

(IMHO) Write some songs that have soul stirring lyrics as well as great music

.

Help a protege actually have a great musical career

.

(IMHO)Date a woman closer to his own age

dating a woman closer to his own age? why on earth would he want to do that?

yuck!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/21/13 11:16am

IstenSzek

avatar

what's left? ehm, taking a year or 2 to look back at his past catalogue

and try to remaster all his WB albums with bonus material such as the

bsides and outtakes.

then get a decent website to sell all his remasters as well as all of his

post WB releases (also including outtakes etc).

get as much of his recorded material as possible together in 1 place,

with the option to buy hardcopies and downloads.

it would be so great and so clear to have everything he's done put up

in one single place.

once all of that is done. once the best bits left in the vault have been

put alongside the classic albums as bonus material or companion cds,

he can just release an album or a single every few years whenever

he feels like it.

but his legacy should be taken care of. remastered, outtakes put with

projects they 'belong to' and prime quality vault material that doesn't

belong anywhere else should go onto another crystal ball type release.

all the singles, all the bsides, all the non album one off project songs,

the npgmc stuff, the 3121 stuff etc etc.

because right now he's got this enormous body of work and everything

from the WB era is sub par quality soundwise and everything after WB

is either out of print or almost impossible to find.

and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/21/13 11:37am

Nothinbutjoy

avatar

3rdeyedude said:

Nothinbutjoy said:

There is still so much for him to do, if he chooses to. In no particular order:

.

Open the vault (highfive jillybean)

.

Remaster his past music

.

(IMHO) Write some songs that have soul stirring lyrics as well as great music

.

Help a protege actually have a great musical career

.

(IMHO)Date a woman closer to his own age

dating a woman closer to his own age? why on earth would he want to do that?

yuck!!

.

If you need to be told there is no help for you.

I'm firmly planted in denial
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/21/13 1:33pm

PurpleJedi

avatar

Rennaissance?

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/21/13 3:03pm

nursev

Bring his Purple ass to Texas lol that is DFW lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/21/13 3:11pm

nursev

and do a smoother version of D&P lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/21/13 3:33pm

NouveauDance

avatar

Make another great studio album that is recognised outside his core fanbase.

.

And I mean recognised as a great album, not recognised because of marketing gimmicks. An album that has a similar impact for him as, for example, what 'Ray Of Light' did for Madonna - I think Prince has yet to do this. (Am not saying he needs to, or I particularly want that, or he hasn't released great studio albums since the 80s - just saying he hasn't done this yet).

.

He is now universally heralded as a living legend and he is in demand live as this legacy act, but his studio work commands absolutely no attention outside of their marketing gimmicks (Emancipation, Rave(?), Musicology, Planet Earth, Lotusflow3r, 20Ten were all backed by marketing gimmicks - I leave out 3121 because that was backed by more down to traditional marketing and promotional methods but still failed to make an impact musically). I also think people are unwilling to even give a new album a fair hearing because of the image he has that he releases SO much and not releasing anything of merit since the early 90s.

.

And of course the (re-)release and proper reverential treatment of his back catalogue and unreleased music from the 80s.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/21/13 8:15pm

naffi

avatar

Tony award - time to bring some Princely music to Broadway, not necessarily Purple Rain, could get a bit more creative like Rock of Ages or We will rock you.
You know you are in love, when you cannot fall asleep because your reality is finally better than your dreams - Dr Seuss
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/22/13 5:48am

luvsexy4all

thems internet radio shows sound GREAT if u r looking for remastered sounding ttracks

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/22/13 5:50am

NouveauDance

avatar

luvsexy4all said:

thems internet radio shows sound GREAT if u r looking for remastered sounding ttracks

Hell yeah! dunce

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/22/13 6:21am

funkomatic

Lol, there are millions of things Prince hasn't accomplished yet, it's just you who seems to run out of ideas pretty quickly.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/22/13 6:25am

funkyhead

the only thing left is to be a decent human being and treat those in the past with some bloody respect.

Creatively I guess there's little left, he's old and now needs youngsters to help him..alas it has so far led to non essential mediocre music. He could just do 1 bloody amazing album I guess, fuck off to space and do a song [and stay up there for a few years!!]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/22/13 8:33am

thecashb

Not sure if this would be considered an accomplishment but for my own selfish reasons, I'd like to see him tour playing the drums or bass.

"Who wrote that"?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/22/13 8:48am

Nothinbutjoy

avatar

funkyhead said:

the only thing left is to be a decent human being and treat those in the past with some bloody respect.

Creatively I guess there's little left, he's old and now needs youngsters to help him..alas it has so far led to non essential mediocre music. He could just do 1 bloody amazing album I guess, fuck off to space and do a song [and stay up there for a few years!!]

.

Only because he seems to THINK he needs youngsters to help him. IMHO, if he would get that out of his head, his lyrics would definitely benefit.

I'm firmly planted in denial
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/22/13 3:08pm

whipchorus

Have an actual chart hit in his 50s. Not beyond other fifty-something popular acts.

Lest we forget his hits started to dry up whilst he was merely in his 30s.

[Edited 5/22/13 15:11pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/23/13 12:10am

nursev

He needs to make another Gospel cd without the freaky voice, his voice has always sounded great doing spiritual songs wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/23/13 12:27am

databank

avatar

Opening the vault would be something really MASSIVE if done properly and in a major way. Just think of the incredible amount of material recorded for 35 years, let alone the live shows and rehearsals!

Also Prince never "crossed-over" beyond the realm of American popular music (his msuical world, no matter how big by comparison to many others, is quite small by comparison to a guy like Bill Laswell). He won't do it but experimenting into world music, real electronic music, dub, ambient or any other kind of experimental genre would be a wonderful way for him to renew himself.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Has he accomplished it all ? What could be left ?