independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Fri 24th Jan 2020 10:31am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Lovesexy singles, Bsides & outtakes
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #60 posted 09/15/12 9:47pm

PurpleJedi

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Then Prince dropped another bombshell: He didn't want to shoot any videos for the album. He boldly claimed to Warners' incredulous marketing team that the absence of a video would distinguish him from other pop stars, as well as create a sense of mystery about the album. No one accepted the argument, but the label couldn't force an artist of his stature to go in front of a camera. There would be no videos.

Chapter 10: Black

March 20, 1988: Alan Leeds' residence, Eden Prairie, Minnesota

p 125

Possessed: the Rise & Fall of Prince

Alan Leeds was among those beginning to harbor doubts about the direction of Prince's career. After working for many years with James Brown, Leeds accepted inconsistent behavior, arbitrary demands, and frequent bouts of hubris as part and parcel of a brilliant artist's character. And yet, Prince's actions were in some respects even more erratic and unpredictable than Brown's.

On a gray late-winter day, as a snowstorm gained force and began coating the Minneapolis suburb of Eden Prairie, Leeds was happy to have a day off from the hectic and exhausting routine of catering to Prince's every whim. It was warm inside, an NFL game was on, and Leeds was home with his family.

Then the phone rang.

As always, there were no pleasantries, no introductions. "I want to shoot a video," Prince said in a quiet, clipped voice. Leeds had to press to find out exactly what this meant. Did he want to make a clip for Alphabet Street, after all? Prince said yes, and Leeds asked if he had spoken to Fargnoli about this. No, Prince responded, he wanted to shoot without meddling from the managers or Warner Bros. They would just screw things up. Leeds cautioned that this meant the budget for the video would come out of Prince's pocket-didn't it make more sense to contact Warners, which would readily approve financing for the video?

No, Prince said. He wanted to do it on his own.

"Ok, when?" Leeds asked.

"Today."

Incredulous, Leeds did everything he could to dissuade Prince from making the video. It was mid-afternoon on a stormy Sunday. No respectable team of filmmakers could be assembled, particularly in Minneapolis where, as Leeds reminded Prince, there was not a film crew on every block as in Los Angeles. Even if a crew agreed to do the shoot, it was unlikely that adequate equipment could be rented and that everyone would make it through the snow to the set. How could this possibly be pulled off?

"Sounds to me like that's your problem, not mine," Prince retorted.

Leeds realized that, at the very least, he would have to placate Prince by placing some phone calls. Although the local community was not large, Leeds knew several skilled directors. Predictably, they refused the assignment. Working through his Rolodex, Leeds called filmmakers whom he considered B-List, and began to worry that even if someone agreed to take the job, the end result wouldn't be worth the time, effort, or money. As Leeds waited for callbacks, Prince continued to hector him by phone, "When are we shooting?" he asked repeatedly, undeterred by Leeds' warnings that no top-flight filmmakers were available. Prince told him to keep trying.


Frustrated that a rare day off was being spoiled, Leeds continued his efforts and finally found a director, Michael Barnard, who was eager for the assignment. But the question remained: Could Barnard locate a facility and equipment? The afternoon dragged into evening, and the snow kept falling. Prince kept barraging Leeds with phone calls. Finally, Barnard called: The shoot was a go. He had located a facility owned by a cable television company, as well as a truck full of basic equipment typically used to cover city council meetings for local access channels. Leeds, not surprised that matters had come to this, called Prince and told him the shoot was on.

By eleven p.m., with most of the city under snow, film was rolling. Prince had rounded up Sheila E and Cat Glover to participate. The video was shot against a blue screen, with the result that the footage looked startlingly amateurish and homemade. During the post-production process, Prince had Barnard jazz up the video by having various textual phrases dart across the screen, including "Don't buy The Black Album, I'm sorry," and "Ecstasy."

That explains it.

nod

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #61 posted 09/15/12 10:16pm

itsjustaroundt
hecorner

timmie said:

Don't forget the incredible b-side to Alphabet St:

Alphabet St. (This Is Not Music, This Is A Trip)

that blew my mind when it was released!

and the awesome I Wish U Heaven Extended parts 1+2+3

TOTALLY!!!!!! This is not music , This is a Trip is INCREDIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #62 posted 09/15/12 10:22pm

itsjustaroundt
hecorner

luvsexy4all said:

is that lovesexy remix in anyones "hands"???

my god, id love for it to be in my 'hands' !!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #63 posted 09/15/12 10:33pm

itsjustaroundt
hecorner

Does anyone have any insight into WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED WITH GLAM SLAM?

it was the first time since Prince broke big that a single FAILED to make the Hot 100.

I dont think it made the Hot 100 on the R+B chart either...

I mean, even less successful singles like America, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Anotherloverholenyohead, etc.. .

at LEAST they charted... some stations played them....

It was like Prince turned COLD to the marketplace after Alphabet St.

Anyone with any inside info? Was there an effort to make the single successful or was Warners just like, 'oh well' and just let it fade...

It just seems so strange that the single was not even a mediocre hit. it was NON EXISTENT!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #64 posted 09/16/12 8:17am

PurpleJedi

avatar

itsjustaroundthecorner said:

Does anyone have any insight into WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED WITH GLAM SLAM?

it was the first time since Prince broke big that a single FAILED to make the Hot 100.

I dont think it made the Hot 100 on the R+B chart either...

I mean, even less successful singles like America, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Anotherloverholenyohead, etc.. .

at LEAST they charted... some stations played them....

It was like Prince turned COLD to the marketplace after Alphabet St.

Anyone with any inside info? Was there an effort to make the single successful or was Warners just like, 'oh well' and just let it fade...

It just seems so strange that the single was not even a mediocre hit. it was NON EXISTENT!!

Good question.

I believe that by the time Glam Slam was released, not only was the establishment tired of his antics, but also the music of the time had changed. Lovesexy (the album) didn't really fit any format.

I remember calling Hot97 (which at the time was more dance/club) requesting that they play Glam Slam, and the girl didn't even know how to pronounce the title! (Meaning, it was nowhere on their radar.) Glam Slam wasn't really "dance", nor "rock" or even "r&b".

It probably would've needed special attention by WB in order to get disc jockeys to play it.

That's my opinion anyway.

By St. Boogar and all the saints at the backside door of Purgatory!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #65 posted 09/17/12 6:21am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

PurpleJedi said:

itsjustaroundthecorner said:

Does anyone have any insight into WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED WITH GLAM SLAM?

it was the first time since Prince broke big that a single FAILED to make the Hot 100.

I dont think it made the Hot 100 on the R+B chart either...

I mean, even less successful singles like America, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Anotherloverholenyohead, etc.. .

at LEAST they charted... some stations played them....

It was like Prince turned COLD to the marketplace after Alphabet St.

Anyone with any inside info? Was there an effort to make the single successful or was Warners just like, 'oh well' and just let it fade...

It just seems so strange that the single was not even a mediocre hit. it was NON EXISTENT!!

Good question.

I believe that by the time Glam Slam was released, not only was the establishment tired of his antics, but also the music of the time had changed. Lovesexy (the album) didn't really fit any format.

I remember calling Hot97 (which at the time was more dance/club) requesting that they play Glam Slam, and the girl didn't even know how to pronounce the title! (Meaning, it was nowhere on their radar.) Glam Slam wasn't really "dance", nor "rock" or even "r&b".

It probably would've needed special attention by WB in order to get disc jockeys to play it.

That's my opinion anyway.

true, As much as I loved the SOTT/Lovesexy era, I strongly believe what was happening musically in his camp was something that could have solidified him in a way that he would not have to try to fit in with what was happening in the music scene

I love Glam Slam, as a Prince fan I get to a big degree his message, but I think overall it could easily go over peoples heads. Love the video, nice tongue twisting words,

also Prince should have done more smaller shows in the States, not touring the SOTT tour and focusing more on the European audience helped him there but not in the states

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #66 posted 09/17/12 6:28am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Paisley4u said:

The appreciation of Lovesexy is overshadowed by the admirating 4 his precedent: Sign O the times!

I was overwelmed by the fresh sound and great production on this album, it was my fav Prince album 4 more than a decade! After SOTT this was a powerfull, compact punch in your face!

These days I prefer SOTT and PR, maybe because I´ve listened 2

Lovesexy 2 much.

Escape is a great b-side-I also love Glam Slam so this is almost the same.

And yes, Scarlett Pussy sounds like something from the SOTT period.

I didn´t know Electric Chair, Pink Cashmere and Still would stand all time were recorded

in this period, thanx 4 the info! Imagine Lovesexy would have been a CD release with those songs included!!!!!!!!!! I loooove Electric Chair....and also Pink Cashmere, it would have made this album even better, and I already was such a fan of Lovesexy!

[Edited 9/14/12 12:51pm]

1.) yeah sorta I think maybe tainted by the fact he didn't tour the states with SOTT, and stuck us with a movie concert instead

2.) I think the continuous play feel of the album might not have helped it either

3.) I loved a lot of the guitar work on Lovesexy, I still listen to a lot of the PR era music:album bsides proteges outtakes etc and ATWIAD the whole project

4.) Yes, a lot of cool songs came out of the Lovesexy experience, I suspect the Future as well since it feels/sounds just like the Line. I wish he would have still released Rave as the followup because a lot of those songs might have been on that album. He still could have released Batman, even though they weren't expecting a full album from Prince, just some songs.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #67 posted 09/17/12 11:21am

djThunderfunk

avatar

itsjustaroundthecorner said:

Does anyone have any insight into WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED WITH GLAM SLAM?

it was the first time since Prince broke big that a single FAILED to make the Hot 100.

I dont think it made the Hot 100 on the R+B chart either...

I mean, even less successful singles like America, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Anotherloverholenyohead, etc.. .

at LEAST they charted... some stations played them....

It was like Prince turned COLD to the marketplace after Alphabet St.

Anyone with any inside info? Was there an effort to make the single successful or was Warners just like, 'oh well' and just let it fade...

It just seems so strange that the single was not even a mediocre hit. it was NON EXISTENT!!

In my not-so-humble opinion, Glam Slam is the worst song on the album, the only "track" (heh, song on the single track) I don't like.

I was surprised that it was chosen as the second single but not surprised it failed...

I always thought Anna Stesia, Lovesexy or Positivity would have been better choices. wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #68 posted 09/19/12 9:36am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #69 posted 09/19/12 9:50am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Cross The Line is an unreleased song by Ingrid Chavez, recorded with an improvised musical backing by Prince in mid-December, 1987, at Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen, MN, USA (shortly after cancelling the release of "The Black Album", ... Prince's music comprised of reversed synth and organ sounds following Ingrid Chavez's spoken part. Her vocals were later lifted and incorporated into Intermission, which (as a studio track played over the PA) opened the second half of Lovesexy Tour shows. Cross The Line remains unreleased, however

In the Distance, a Light shines

In the Distance
A Light shines and I know it is mine
Someday I will touch it
because it calls me
It says Cross the Line, Cross the Line

* excerpt from a poem by Ingrid Chavez

The Line is an unreleased song recorded on 22 December, 1987 (six days after Dance On, during a stretch of sessions focused on the Lovesexy album). It was written in response to a poem by Ingrid Chavez which Prince had recorded with her earlier in the month, entitled Cross The Line. The Line was included on an early version of the album, compiled on 21 January, 1988, but was removed for a February configuration, replaced by I Wish U Heaven.

The song includes a chanted portion used in live shows since early 1987, "People, people. I've got a brand new dance", which mentions Housequake. The track ends with Boni Boyer singing lyrics from Take My Hand, Precious Lord. A scream by Boni Boyer from this track was later used in the opening seconds of Acknowledge Me (credited incorrectly to "Bonni Boyer"), with the liner notes stating that The Line was "2 b released at a later date". The song remains unreleased, however.

-PrinceVault

Can U talk 2 me with your body, baby?
Can U tell me what I wanna hear?
Can U lay on me a good enough reason 2 cross the line?
Yeah, ho! {x2}

Can U be my lover and still be my friend? (Can U be my friend?)
Can U stick with me till the bitter end? (The bitter end)
Can U lay on me a good enough reason 2 cross the line?
Yeah, ho! (Cross the line)

CHORUS:
The line, line - it's a happy step 2 make
It takes time, time - all is what it takes
The line, line - and soon your life is so much better
The water's so much better on the other side (Cross the line)

Can U tolerate? Why am I not so free?
How I did the plan
Can U understand I'm a free man?
But will I stop the dam if I don't cross the line?
Yeah, ho! {x2}
Ow!

Hey
Cross the line sugar, cross the line {x2}
Cross the line

CHORUS

(Cross the line)

Cross the line sugar, cross the line {x3}

I want U 2 cross the line, hey! {sample used in "Acknowledge Me"}
Talk 2 me, say the things I wanna hear, oh!
Cross the line

Cross the line

Cross the line
Baby, baby, baby, can U make me cross the line?
Cross the line, sugar, cross the line
U know U got 2 cross the line!

(New dance) {repeat in BG}
People, people, I got a brand new dance {x2}
Ain't talkin' 'bout Housequake! No!
Ain't talkin' 'bout Shake 'N' Bake! No!
Ain't talkin' 'bout Rice-O-Roni! No!
I'm talkin' 'bout Macaroni? No!
Lord have mercy

Boni? (What?)
On the 2 (Yeah!)
What we gonna do? (Kangaroo!)
Say it! (Kangaroo!)
Come on
Boni? (What?)
On the 2 (Yeah!)
What U wanna do? (Kangaroo!)
Do the do (Do the do!)

Cross the line {repeat}
Baby, baby, baby, cross the line {repeat 2 fade}

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on, help me stand
I try, I have need, I am whole
Through the door, through the shore
Precious Lord, I believe in your name

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #70 posted 09/26/12 5:46am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #71 posted 09/26/12 1:26pm

HamsterHuey

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/GlamSlam.jpg[/img:$uid]
[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/GlamSlam702A-sidelabel.jpg[/img:$uid]
[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/GlamSlam703B-sidelabel.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/GlamSlam704sticker.jpg[/img:$uid]

>>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #72 posted 09/26/12 1:29pm

HamsterHuey

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/IWishUHeaven7German01frontcover.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/IWishUHeaven7German02backcover.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/IWishUHeaven7German03A-sidelabel.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/IWishUHeaven7German04B-sidelabel.jpg[/img:$uid]

[Edited 9/26/12 13:30pm]

>>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #73 posted 09/26/12 1:30pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

I actually never bought the albums/LP, I bought tapes

Do you still have your copies?

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #74 posted 09/26/12 1:32pm

HamsterHuey

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/IWishUHeaven12German01frontcover-1.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/IWishUHeaven12German02backcover.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/IWishUHeaven12German03A-sidelabel.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/IWishUHeaven12German04B-sidelabel.jpg[/img:$uid]

[Edited 9/26/12 13:32pm]

>>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #75 posted 09/26/12 1:35pm

HamsterHuey

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/AlphabetSt7German01frontcover.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/AlphabetSt7German03A-sidelabel.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/AlphabetSt7German04B-sidelabel.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v652/hhja/PRN/AlphabetStCDsingle.jpg[/img:$uid]

>>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #76 posted 09/27/12 4:40am

SoulAlive

itsjustaroundthecorner said:

Does anyone have any insight into WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED WITH GLAM SLAM?

it was the first time since Prince broke big that a single FAILED to make the Hot 100.

I dont think it made the Hot 100 on the R+B chart either...

I mean, even less successful singles like America, If I Was Your Girlfriend, Anotherloverholenyohead, etc.. .

at LEAST they charted... some stations played them....

It was like Prince turned COLD to the marketplace after Alphabet St.

Anyone with any inside info? Was there an effort to make the single successful or was Warners just like, 'oh well' and just let it fade...

It just seems so strange that the single was not even a mediocre hit. it was NON EXISTENT!!

"Glam Slam" was a poor choice for the second single disbelief I don't know why Prince chose that song.It works well as an album track,but it is too dull and uneventful to be a single in 1988.In my area,we had an R&B station that always played the new Prince singles."Glam Slam" was the first Prince single that they neglected.Pop radio also ignored it.I saw the video on MTV only a few times.

I've said this many times: the title track should have been the second single! It's a fast,powerful song,and unlike "Glam Slam",it is very danceable.Pop and R&B stations would have ate it up.Ever since 'Parade',I began to notice a pattern.Prince would choose a strong first single,then screw things up with the second single.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #77 posted 09/27/12 8:04am

Fonkyman

Good seeing all this in here, nice one. Excuse me if I go off topic a bit but it's all Old Friends' fault for starting the thread. smile

Glam Slam is a dud for me unless it's live, like a lot of his later stuff...

I loved more or less everything he released in the '80s. For every album, 12" and 7" that he released I'd buy the vinyl and the tape if I could get it. Not to mention the boots. I didn't like CDs when they turned up. I'd only play the vinyl once to make sure it wasn't scratched then I'd put it away and just listen to the tapes... I know, I'm fonkymental. For a while there I was even doubling up on the vinyl. I had three copies of Lovesexy... It's alright, they took me away in '89 and gave me pills so I'm all, bedda, now... Honest.

When I think of Lovesexy, I don't really think of the album or it's singles first. I think of the gig which was mind blowing. To me, his albums just kept getting better back then. Dirty Mind, Controversy, '99 to Purple Rain, then ATWIAD which I hated at first, took back to the 'Staw' and rebought within a week realising it was a blinder. Parades only song I didn't like was Kiss (What, shoot... me?) then we got SOTT which was obviously brilliant, straight away.

Lovesexy was a whole other thing though. He wrapped up a bit of everything, in the live shows especially. Far too camp on some of the merchandise yeah, but it didn't stop me buying it. I wasn't so sure God was alive or there was anything on the roof like he was tellin us but Kiss took the roof right off of Wembley. So did Lovesexy. I couldn't believe it when he played Superfunky and Bob George. "Don't buy the black album", my arse. The album was a blinder, if you could ignore the cover and didn't mind Glam Slam. It was like he'd perfected his craft and produced it better than ever. Sounded like it to me anyway. As always, he'd reinvented himself and as always he delivered but with Lovesexy it was like Prince but on superfunky steroids. yes You needed the break in the gig just to let you down to earth for a minute. I've never heard him better it or even get anywhere near. Seeing him come round the stage in that TBird from the Alphabet St vid was a blast too.

I was convinced he'd release the title track as a single and couldn't wait to hear the 12". I'm still waiting, like the rest of ya. Positivity seemed like a likely single too but that never happened. The video to Alphabet Street looked bad, even for the time but for all we knew, that was how he wanted it. Interesting reading the story on it. I Wish U Heaven didn't bother me much, til I got the 12" which I couldn't get enough of. Take this beat, all day long. Video was better than Alphabet St. and I could never tire of seeing Sheila in all that gear. I'd prolly still leave my missus but Fonky shh on all of that. My biggest gripe, if any, would be with the clear crappy sleeve Alphabet St and Glam Slam came in. Glam Slam? Mmm, yeah well, not my cup o tea really. Less it's live.

I loved everything about Lovesexy. Even the labels were looking good.

Must be something about those coaches from Wembley? I lost my tourbook too, on the Group Travel coach, bought one for 50p on ebay a little while ago. wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #78 posted 09/27/12 8:23am

thedance

avatar

Lovesexy is such a beautiful album,

I love it deeply. heart

Thanks for making this thread.

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #79 posted 09/27/12 11:35am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Fonkyman said:

Good seeing all this in here, nice one. Excuse me if I go off topic a bit but it's all Old Friends' fault for starting the thread. smile

Glam Slam is a dud for me unless it's live, like a lot of his later stuff...

I loved more or less everything he released in the '80s. For every album, 12" and 7" that he released I'd buy the vinyl and the tape if I could get it. Not to mention the boots. I didn't like CDs when they turned up. I'd only play the vinyl once to make sure it wasn't scratched then I'd put it away and just listen to the tapes... I know, I'm fonkymental. For a while there I was even doubling up on the vinyl. I had three copies of Lovesexy... It's alright, they took me away in '89 and gave me pills so I'm all, bedda, now... Honest.

When I think of Lovesexy, I don't really think of the album or it's singles first. I think of the gig which was mind blowing. To me, his albums just kept getting better back then. Dirty Mind, Controversy, '99 to Purple Rain, then ATWIAD which I hated at first, took back to the 'Staw' and rebought within a week realising it was a blinder. Parades only song I didn't like was Kiss (What, shoot... me?) then we got SOTT which was obviously brilliant, straight away.

Lovesexy was a whole other thing though. He wrapped up a bit of everything, in the live shows especially. Far too camp on some of the merchandise yeah, but it didn't stop me buying it. I wasn't so sure God was alive or there was anything on the roof like he was tellin us but Kiss took the roof right off of Wembley. So did Lovesexy. I couldn't believe it when he played Superfunky and Bob George. "Don't buy the black album", my arse. The album was a blinder, if you could ignore the cover and didn't mind Glam Slam. It was like he'd perfected his craft and produced it better than ever. Sounded like it to me anyway. As always, he'd reinvented himself and as always he delivered but with Lovesexy it was like Prince but on superfunky steroids. yes You needed the break in the gig just to let you down to earth for a minute. I've never heard him better it or even get anywhere near. Seeing him come round the stage in that TBird from the Alphabet St vid was a blast too.

I was convinced he'd release the title track as a single and couldn't wait to hear the 12". I'm still waiting, like the rest of ya. Positivity seemed like a likely single too but that never happened. The video to Alphabet Street looked bad, even for the time but for all we knew, that was how he wanted it. Interesting reading the story on it. I Wish U Heaven didn't bother me much, til I got the 12" which I couldn't get enough of. Take this beat, all day long. Video was better than Alphabet St. and I could never tire of seeing Sheila in all that gear. I'd prolly still leave my missus but Fonky shh on all of that. My biggest gripe, if any, would be with the clear crappy sleeve Alphabet St and Glam Slam came in. Glam Slam? Mmm, yeah well, not my cup o tea really. Less it's live.

I loved everything about Lovesexy. Even the labels were looking good.

Must be something about those coaches from Wembley? I lost my tourbook too, on the Group Travel coach, bought one for 50p on ebay a little while ago. wink

Lovesexy 2 me felt like a transition (literally into his New Power sound) but it still felt like previous Prince

Lovesexy Positivity When 2 R in Love I Wish U Heaven, he could have released and (MUST) did videos for all of them, no rush jobs... the masses didn't get to the concerts & aftershows, so those that didn't it would have to help thru videos, maybe some mini shows work that new feeling he had, but alas it passed

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #80 posted 09/27/12 12:36pm

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

Thanx 4 this Old Friends....

I find this period fascinating!

In fact, I'm quite disappointed that Rave was not released then, it would probably go down as his best album IMO...there are some great tracks on there.

I mean look at this...Still Would Stand and Moonbeam Levels and Pink Cashmere on the same album, would have been amazing!

1. Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic
2. If I Had a Harem
3. Good Judy Girlfriend
4. Pink Cashmere
5. Electric Chair
6. Am I Without U
7. God Is Alive
8. Still Would Stand All Time
9. Moonbeam Levels

I guess it was a case of timing, Batman came along and P took that...that's a pretty good album but much more commercialised than Rave would have been and I guess then P decided to use some of the songs in GB afterwards...

Also perhaps WB would have baulked at another spiritual record right after Lovesexy anyway...Batman was a lot safer commercially.

I still maintain it would have been seen as his masterpiece though!!!

[Edited 9/27/12 12:39pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #81 posted 09/27/12 1:00pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

TheFreakerFantastic said:

Thanx 4 this Old Friends....

I find this period fascinating!

In fact, I'm quite disappointed that Rave was not released then, it would probably go down as his best album IMO...there are some great tracks on there.

I mean look at this...Still Would Stand and Moonbeam Levels and Pink Cashmere on the same album, would have been amazing!

1. Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic
2. If I Had a Harem
3. Good Judy Girlfriend
4. Pink Cashmere
5. Electric Chair
6. Am I Without U
7. God Is Alive
8. Still Would Stand All Time
9. Moonbeam Levels

I guess it was a case of timing, Batman came along and P took that...that's a pretty good album but much more commercialised than Rave would have been and I guess then P decided to use some of the songs in GB afterwards...

Also perhaps WB would have baulked at another spiritual record right after Lovesexy anyway...Batman was a lot safer commercially.

I still maintain it would have been seen as his masterpiece though!!!

i am sooo with you on that, the Rave music came out of the inspiration and freedom of the Lovesexy/Aftershows, it would have been a perfect follow up

The Batman soundtrack wasn't even supposed to be a full album of Prince songs, just a few

So that could have worked perfectly releasing a Prince album and including 3-4 songs on the Batman soundtrack

I could see songs like the Line the Future Dance with the Devil could have been a nice Bside 2 God is Alive, the Line a Bside 2 Rave, the Future a B side 2 Still Would Stand All Time

I could see the title track, Pink Cashmere, Electric Chair, Moonbeams or God Is Alive as the album singles

U have me salivating right now

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #82 posted 09/27/12 1:19pm

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

^ Yep it would have been FANTASTIC!!!

I've never heard Am I Without U? have u?

I've heard Carmen's version of Good Judy Girlfriend but not P's original...not sure if that's circulating?!

[Edited 9/27/12 13:20pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #83 posted 09/27/12 2:04pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

TheFreakerFantastic said:

^ Yep it would have been FANTASTIC!!!

I've never heard Am I Without U? have u?

I've heard Carmen's version of Good Judy Girlfriend but not P's original...not sure if that's circulating?!

[Edited 9/27/12 13:20pm]

Never heard it, I wonder is it titled differently

never heard G J G by Prince either

In A Large Room was always called In A Rats Race

Wednesday is What Will I Do ...

Maybe I need to do a relistening study, lol we've probably had it all along

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #84 posted 09/27/12 2:39pm

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

^ I've heard Carmen's version....it's just OK but I wouldn't RAVE about it (pardon the pun wink)

Am I without U (?) may be another title for 'Inside of U' or as its more commonly known 'The Grand Progression' but this is pure speculation.

I understand that Inalargeroomwithnolight is the proper title, it's also known as Welcome 2 the Rat Race but i remember Prince refuted that second title on one of his websites (think it was L40A or the NPGMC)

It amazes me that Wednesday has never leaked considering it was on the original tracklist for Purple Rain...i heard a rumour there is a live version out there but i've never heard of it.

[Edited 9/27/12 14:42pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #85 posted 09/27/12 5:51pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

TheFreakerFantastic said:

^ I've heard Carmen's version....it's just OK but I wouldn't RAVE about it (pardon the pun wink)

Am I without U (?) may be another title for 'Inside of U' or as its more commonly known 'The Grand Progression' but this is pure speculation.

I understand that Inalargeroomwithnolight is the proper title, it's also known as Welcome 2 the Rat Race but i remember Prince refuted that second title on one of his websites (think it was L40A or the NPGMC)

It amazes me that Wednesday has never leaked considering it was on the original tracklist for Purple Rain...i heard a rumour there is a live version out there but i've never heard of it.

Eric Leeds in an interview was talking about the music they did with P W&L the revolution, he was recalling certain unreleased song and he called it Welcome 2 the Rat Race as well,

Yes I know, the only snippet of Wednesday w/Princes voice is like 1.5 min long

live huh gotta see if it was ever messed with during PR or rehearsals then

was the Line ever performed or Scarlet Pussy?

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #86 posted 09/28/12 4:37am

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

^ No idea but I think the Line (both versions) is a very deep and spiritual track. Underrated IMO.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #87 posted 10/03/12 8:16am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Recorded Paisley Park Studios, December 1987–January 1988
Released September 20, 1988

"I Wish U Heaven" is a song by Prince, and the third single from his 1988 album, Lovesexy. It is a joyful, spiritual song with few lyrics, which runs 2:43. The 12" single is a substantially extended three-part suite which runs over ten minutes.

Part One of the mix starts with a stripped-down version of the Lovesexy album song, remixed with a dance beat. The original drum programming and rhythmic electric guitar riffs are deleted for much of the song.

Part Two is a gospel rendition with new lyrics, continuing the spiritual theme. This part of the song was often sung in concert during the Lovesexy World Tour. The beginning of this section paraphrases lyrics from "Housequake", from the previous album Sign "☮" the Times. Prince also quotes the film Scarface with the lines "Say hello to my little friend..." and then introduces the "Blue Angel", a new blue version of his custom "White Cloud" guitar featured in the film Purple Rain. Sheila E. is also given a call out, and her voice can be heard responding in this section.

Part Three is based on an outtake called "Take This Beat" and deviates quite a bit from the original theme. This segment has Prince using his "Jamie Starr" persona to humorously tout the fact that the he's funky, musically talented, and has plenty of beats (songs) that are "so fine". The song ends with a looped repeat of the title. This version of the song became one of the highlights during the supporting tour in which Prince would usually order the house lights to be turned up, and instruct the crowd during a call and response segment.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #88 posted 10/03/12 8:20am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #89 posted 10/03/12 8:31am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Initial tracking took place in on 31 January, 1988 at Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen, MN, USA (two days after re-recording Lovesexy). Recording and remixing dates for I Wish U Heaven (Part 1, 2 & 3) are not known, but this likely took place in Spring or early Summer, 1988, at Paisley Park Studios, shortly before leaving on the Lovesexy Tour. - source PrinceVault

I Wish U Heaven

Doubts of our conviction,

follow where we go

And when the world's compassion

ceases, still I know F

or your every touch

I thank you so much

For your every kiss I
I wish u love

I wish u heaven

I wish u heaven
If I see eleven,

you can say it's seven

Still I wish u heaven
I wish u love

I wish u heaven I wish u heaven
La la la la la, do do do do do La la la la la, do do do do do La la la la la
I wish u heaven I wish u heaven
I, I, I, I, I wish u heaven I wish u heaven
I wish u heaven I wish u heaven
I wish u heaven I wish u heaven I wish u heaven

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence
I will make you cyber shit in your pants!
What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 3 of 4 <1234>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Lovesexy singles, Bsides & outtakes