independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > PEACH & BLACK PODCAST - Sign 'O' The Times Review Part 2
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 08/16/12 2:39am

rialb

avatar

aiden3121 said:

Lordy said:

Another great episode chaps - so good that I'm feeling slightly guilty that us Brits are kicking Oz ass all over the Olympics. Ahem wink.

Please don't take ANY notice of 'stillwaiting'. Everybody's entitled to their opinion but I don't think I'm the only one in thinking that each minute of your podcasts are nothing less than fun or engaging for a passion that we all share. You've got a great dynamic, complement each other well and provide valuable info to a novice guitar player like myself. And as Toejam mentioned, you guys point out things that I missed and make me return to the music and see Princes' songs in a new light.

I was lucky enough to be a teenager in the 80s, awaiting each album with baited breath and to be honest most of the albums initially left me a little or very disappointed on first listen because of my high expectation but with repeated rotations I realised my folly. However, with "Sign of the Times" I was gobsmacked from the off and realised that I was listening to a classic straight off - for me it sounded so ahead of its' time, packed with fascinating diversity that made me think "Wow - this guy just got rid of the Revolution and comes up with this?!". You gotta share the mans' disappointment when "The Joshua Tree" got the grammy nod. Shame.

(Oh, and the "Scandalous" vs "Adore" debate? Come on! "Adore" everytime!! It's the Prince tour de force!!!)

Scandalous is a far superior track imo i think its his best ballad ever i would have adore maybe 3rd or 4th

I think "Scandalous" is the better song but "Adore" sounds better. He really nailed the production/arrangement on it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 08/22/12 3:32pm

FunkyStrange

avatar

rialb said:

It may be too time consuming for those folks with better things to do with their time but I find it is helpful to listen to each podcast twice. The first time you just listen to it straight through and the second time you pause it often and dive into the songs when they mention interesting bits.

Commitment !! smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 08/23/12 4:08pm

rialb

avatar

FunkyStrange said:

rialb said:

It may be too time consuming for those folks with better things to do with their time but I find it is helpful to listen to each podcast twice. The first time you just listen to it straight through and the second time you pause it often and dive into the songs when they mention interesting bits.

Commitment !! smile

Or perhaps an unintentional admission that I should be committed. nuts

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 08/24/12 6:41am

batman89

avatar

Thanks guys...always eager to listen to the new discussion and appreciate the time and effort that goes into each great episode.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 08/25/12 2:19pm

FunkyStrange

avatar

Check out our latest show here - http://peachandblack.podbean.com/2012/08/24/the-time-the-first-two-albums-review/

[Edited 8/25/12 14:20pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 08/25/12 3:31pm

purplethunder3
121

avatar

I guess the thread on the new podcast got banished ti Prince Associates... razz

"Music gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination and life to everything." --Plato
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 08/26/12 12:28am

FunkyStrange

avatar

purplethunder3121 said:

I guess the thread on the new podcast got banished ti Prince Associates... razz

It appears so smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 08/27/12 3:17pm

NouveauDance

avatar

Still working my way through the first part - I physically gasped when one of you said you don't like Dorothy Parker eek lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 08/28/12 12:06am

rialb

avatar

NouveauDance said:

Still working my way through the first part - I physically gasped when one of you said you don't like Dorothy Parker eek lol

That had to be the Captain. He is a different kind of thinker.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 08/28/12 2:09am

NouveauDance

avatar

heehee. btw that episode was a bit echoey - was this a technical glitch that you decided to keep in for the spirit of the occasion? razz

eek! Erm, that wasn't a backhanded compliment, just a little ribbing! smile

[Edited 8/28/12 2:41am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/28/12 4:39am

FunkyStrange

avatar

rialb said:

NouveauDance said:

Still working my way through the first part - I physically gasped when one of you said you don't like Dorothy Parker eek lol

That had to be the Captain. He is a different kind of thinker.

yeah that was probably me, it's not one of my favourites ..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/28/12 4:41am

FunkyStrange

avatar

NouveauDance said:

heehee. btw that episode was a bit echoey - was this a technical glitch that you decided to keep in for the spirit of the occasion? razz

eek! Erm, that wasn't a backhanded compliment, just a little ribbing! smile

[Edited 8/28/12 2:41am]

yeah it all comes down to skype's performance when we record, so we just forge ahead problems or not, usually it means more work to make it listenable but it can be hard for us to all get our schedules together ..

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/28/12 3:57pm

NouveauDance

avatar

No offense meant, the second half was mucho better.

Captain was it you too who said you didn't like IIWYG? I actually said out loud "you are f-ing high right now" when I heard that. Never heard anyone say they did anything but love IIWG lol razz

With no turntable atm, it did inspire me to get the vinyl rip though after hearing constantly about the vinyl's virtues through the show.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/28/12 4:11pm

rialb

avatar

NouveauDance said:

No offense meant, the second half was mucho better.

Captain was it you too who said you didn't like IIWYG? I actually said out loud "you are f-ing high right now" when I heard that. Never heard anyone say they did anything but love IIWG lol razz

With no turntable atm, it did inspire me to get the vinyl rip though after hearing constantly about the vinyl's virtues through the show.

Was MC constantly prattling on about how superior the vinyl was? I didn't notice. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/28/12 6:23pm

FunkyStrange

avatar

NouveauDance said:

No offense meant, the second half was mucho better.

Captain was it you too who said you didn't like IIWYG? I actually said out loud "you are f-ing high right now" when I heard that. Never heard anyone say they did anything but love IIWG lol razz

With no turntable atm, it did inspire me to get the vinyl rip though after hearing constantly about the vinyl's virtues through the show.

LOL yeah that was me, usually those songs that EVERYONE likes, I won't for some reason..

my brain is..... different hehe smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/29/12 3:03am

rialb

avatar

FunkyStrange said:

NouveauDance said:

No offense meant, the second half was mucho better.

Captain was it you too who said you didn't like IIWYG? I actually said out loud "you are f-ing high right now" when I heard that. Never heard anyone say they did anything but love IIWG lol razz

With no turntable atm, it did inspire me to get the vinyl rip though after hearing constantly about the vinyl's virtues through the show.

LOL yeah that was me, usually those songs that EVERYONE likes, I won't for some reason..

my brain is..... different hehe smile

I think that the only time I objected to your "differentness" was when you were fairly apathetic about "Condition of the Heart." As Toejam said that gave me a condition of the heart. wink

The podcast is definitely much more interesting for having you on it. Otherwise it would just be a bunch of guys saying how brilliant Prince is which is okay but gets a bit boring. Also, who would be there to defend "We Gets Up?"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/29/12 4:21am

NouveauDance

avatar

I always liked We Get's Up too lol

Seriously, it always gave me a Lovesexy vibe.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 2 <12
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > PEACH & BLACK PODCAST - Sign 'O' The Times Review Part 2