independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > PEACH & BLACK PODCAST - Sign 'O' The Times Review Part 2
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/29/12 5:54am

dnaplaya

avatar

PEACH & BLACK PODCAST - Sign 'O' The Times Review Part 2

As the Peach & Black Podcast continues to recover from the Funk & Roll we experienced back in May, here's Part 2 of our Sign 'O' The Times album review to complete our thoughts and study of this incredible piece of work:

http://peachandblack.podb...-part-two/

and for those that missed it, Here is part 1:

http://peachandblack.podb...y-episode/

Enjoy!

[Edited 7/29/12 6:06am]

Xperience the Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com/
Become a fan: http://www.facebook.com/p...ackpodcast
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/29/12 10:11am

80spfantwp

avatar

Thanks Playa and the whole P&B team - love your enthusiasm - especially the comments about ICNTTPOYM - I totally agree with the sentiments mentioned (won't spoil it for those who haven't heard the pt 2 podcast yet).

cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/29/12 10:59am

2freaky4church
1

avatar

It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night is possibly the most overrated song ever! It's just a jam.

All you others say Hell Yea!! woot!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/29/12 11:13am

rialb

avatar

2freaky4church1 said:

It's Gonna Be A Beautiful Night is possibly the most overrated song ever! It's just a jam.

no no no!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/29/12 11:14am

rialb

avatar

Regarding Demi Moore and "If I Was Your Girlfriend." The film you are thinking of is Striptease, not Showgirls.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/29/12 1:34pm

ARock

avatar

hellz yea

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/29/12 4:44pm

Adorecream

Its great well worth the wait, I can not understand why the Captain does not like "If I was ur girlfriend", that song is THE Prince song.

Thanks 4 the shout out 2 guys!! cool

I can't wait for reviews of Dirty Mind, 1999, Lovesexy and Purple Rain.

[Edited 7/29/12 16:45pm]

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/30/12 3:49pm

NinaB

avatar

I've been looking forward 2 this smile
"We just let people talk & say whatever they want 2 say. 9 times out of 10, trust me, what's out there now, I wouldn't give nary one of these folks the time of day. That's why I don't say anything back, because there's so much that's wrong" - P, Dec '15
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/30/12 5:06pm

FunkyStrange

avatar

Adorecream said:

I can not understand why the Captain does not like "If I was ur girlfriend", that song is THE Prince song.

Me either ! I just don't get it, despite countless people telling me it is the best song EVER !

I just don't get why...

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/31/12 2:42am

rialb

avatar

FunkyStrange said:

Adorecream said:

I can not understand why the Captain does not like "If I was ur girlfriend", that song is THE Prince song.

Me either ! I just don't get it, despite countless people telling me it is the best song EVER !

I just don't get why...

I think that what people really want to know is do you consider "If I Was Your Girlfriend" to be better or worse than "The Morning After?" hmmm

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/31/12 3:18am

FunkyStrange

avatar

rialb said:

FunkyStrange said:

Me either ! I just don't get it, despite countless people telling me it is the best song EVER !

I just don't get why...

I think that what people really want to know is do you consider "If I Was Your Girlfriend" to be better or worse than "The Morning After?" hmmm

LOL no way am I gonna make any coment on that !

I would like to continue being alive smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/31/12 3:31am

rialb

avatar

FunkyStrange said:

rialb said:

I think that what people really want to know is do you consider "If I Was Your Girlfriend" to be better or worse than "The Morning After?" hmmm

LOL no way am I gonna make any coment on that !

I would like to continue being alive smile

Coward!

Incidentally, I genuinely like "The Morning After," maybe not more than "If I Was Your Girlfriend" but I think it is a nice little tune. Never understood the venom that is directed at it by many fans.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/31/12 1:51pm

FunkyStrange

avatar

rialb said:

FunkyStrange said:

LOL no way am I gonna make any coment on that !

I would like to continue being alive smile

Coward!

Incidentally, I genuinely like "The Morning After," maybe not more than "If I Was Your Girlfriend" but I think it is a nice little tune. Never understood the venom that is directed at it by many fans.

Ok smile I'll say this.

I would rather listen to 'The Morning After' than 'IIWYGF' any day of the week but as to which is better I think IIWYGF is the better quality track even though I don't actually like it that much myself.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/31/12 9:51pm

stillwaiting

I really want to like these guys. I try to listen to the whole thing, but it tends to remind me of the "Director's Commentary" you get on a DVD where you have to watch the entire movie to hear somebody chat over the movie. You get some amazing comments, and a lot of filler. Instead of making the smart 30-90 minute segment, the Director's commentary is forced to be the length of the movie.

In the case of the Peach & Black guys, maybe a little editing is in order. There is actually a lot of well thought out comments in most of their stuff, I just get bored waiting for it sometimes. And the fact that one guy doesn't like the SOTT title track, and either the same guy or another one doesn't like If I Was Your Girlfriend? These two songs are like finding MJ fans saying Billie Jean and Earth Song are awful. The guy who doesn't like SOTT says the song was added at the last minute....but he apparently doesn't know his Prince history that well, and that SOTT was on the July 1986 configuration of The Dream Factory in 1986, and on one of the 1986 Crystal Ball track listings.

Despite my complaints, I'll keep trying to listen to their work. Maybe I'll like it better later. It's better than anything I likely would've done.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 08/01/12 1:31am

rialb

avatar

stillwaiting said:

I really want to like these guys. I try to listen to the whole thing, but it tends to remind me of the "Director's Commentary" you get on a DVD where you have to watch the entire movie to hear somebody chat over the movie. You get some amazing comments, and a lot of filler. Instead of making the smart 30-90 minute segment, the Director's commentary is forced to be the length of the movie.

In the case of the Peach & Black guys, maybe a little editing is in order. There is actually a lot of well thought out comments in most of their stuff, I just get bored waiting for it sometimes. And the fact that one guy doesn't like the SOTT title track, and either the same guy or another one doesn't like If I Was Your Girlfriend? These two songs are like finding MJ fans saying Billie Jean and Earth Song are awful. The guy who doesn't like SOTT says the song was added at the last minute....but he apparently doesn't know his Prince history that well, and that SOTT was on the July 1986 configuration of The Dream Factory in 1986, and on one of the 1986 Crystal Ball track listings.

Despite my complaints, I'll keep trying to listen to their work. Maybe I'll like it better later. It's better than anything I likely would've done.

Eh, I completely disagree. I love the long episodes. It's fun to hear them really dig into the songs and be very in depth.

I also like the fact that sometimes a popular song gets a thumbs down or an unpopular song will be praised. It makes me consider songs from a different perspective.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 08/01/12 2:00am

fragglerock

avatar

stillwaiting said:

And the fact that one guy doesn't like the SOTT title track, and either the same guy or another one doesn't like If I Was Your Girlfriend? These two songs are like finding MJ fans saying Billie Jean and Earth Song are awful.

It'd be a bit boring if everyone agreed and they all said the same things...

stillwaiting said:

The guy who doesn't like SOTT says the song was added at the last minute....but he apparently doesn't know his Prince history that well, and that SOTT was on the July 1986 configuration of The Dream Factory in 1986, and on one of the 1986 Crystal Ball track listings.

I'm pretty sure it was "U GOT THE LOOK" which they said was one of the last tracks added to the album.

[Edited 8/1/12 2:02am]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 08/01/12 12:33pm

bgoldsmith1999

Hi trying to download this podcast as i have every other previously to listen to later on mp4 player- but not giving me option to "save target as", any ideas anybody?

Thanks in advance

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 08/01/12 6:07pm

stillwaiting

fragglerock said:

stillwaiting said:

And the fact that one guy doesn't like the SOTT title track, and either the same guy or another one doesn't like If I Was Your Girlfriend? These two songs are like finding MJ fans saying Billie Jean and Earth Song are awful.

It'd be a bit boring if everyone agreed and they all said the same things...

stillwaiting said:

The guy who doesn't like SOTT says the song was added at the last minute....but he apparently doesn't know his Prince history that well, and that SOTT was on the July 1986 configuration of The Dream Factory in 1986, and on one of the 1986 Crystal Ball track listings.

I'm pretty sure it was "U GOT THE LOOK" which they said was one of the last tracks added to the album.

[Edited 8/1/12 2:02am]

It was SOTT. I listened to parts of Part 1 again, since I wasn't paying attention the first time.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 08/02/12 8:00pm

chewymusic

avatar

Great to get to listen to the SOTT pt 2 episode! Thanks guys!

I think it must be that Captain doesn't listen to lyrics that he doesn't

get IIWYG. Although I'm not quite sure how he's missing out on the sheer emotion

of it.

It's cool though, to each his own.

I seem to remember all you guys praising that Emacipation song Savior barf

lol

"Hyperactive when I was small, Hyperactive now I'm grown, Hyperactive 'till I'm dead and gone"
__ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ __ ___

"Midnight is where the day begins"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 08/03/12 5:48am

Adorecream

FunkyStrange said:

Adorecream said:

I can not understand why the Captain does not like "If I was ur girlfriend", that song is THE Prince song.

Me either ! I just don't get it, despite countless people telling me it is the best song EVER !

I just don't get why...

Are you Captain, if so you are the funniest dude on the show, you are like the two old guys on the muppets, can I call you Waldorf? lol lol

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 08/03/12 9:47am

rialb

avatar

Adorecream said:

FunkyStrange said:

Me either ! I just don't get it, despite countless people telling me it is the best song EVER !

I just don't get why...

Are you Captain, if so you are the funniest dude on the show, you are like the two old guys on the muppets, can I call you Waldorf? lol lol

That's not the Captain but it is his official representative. He is much too important to mix with us regular Prince fans so he has someone do that for him. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 08/03/12 7:53pm

Elle85n09

avatar

Great job gentlemen. Whether or not I agree with your opinions, I always enjoy listening to the reviews. The eloguent points made in your final summations are well deserved for SOTT; this album is truly timeless. Looking forward to the next review. peace

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 08/04/12 2:21am

Adorecream

rialb said:

Adorecream said:

Are you Captain, if so you are the funniest dude on the show, you are like the two old guys on the muppets, can I call you Waldorf? lol lol

That's not the Captain but it is his official representative. He is much too important to mix with us regular Prince fans so he has someone do that for him. lol

Yes so he can listen to the Morning After and other classic Prince songs.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 08/05/12 2:05am

Lordy

avatar

Another great episode chaps - so good that I'm feeling slightly guilty that us Brits are kicking Oz ass all over the Olympics. Ahem wink.

Please don't take ANY notice of 'stillwaiting'. Everybody's entitled to their opinion but I don't think I'm the only one in thinking that each minute of your podcasts are nothing less than fun or engaging for a passion that we all share. You've got a great dynamic, complement each other well and provide valuable info to a novice guitar player like myself. And as Toejam mentioned, you guys point out things that I missed and make me return to the music and see Princes' songs in a new light.

I was lucky enough to be a teenager in the 80s, awaiting each album with baited breath and to be honest most of the albums initially left me a little or very disappointed on first listen because of my high expectation but with repeated rotations I realised my folly. However, with "Sign of the Times" I was gobsmacked from the off and realised that I was listening to a classic straight off - for me it sounded so ahead of its' time, packed with fascinating diversity that made me think "Wow - this guy just got rid of the Revolution and comes up with this?!". You gotta share the mans' disappointment when "The Joshua Tree" got the grammy nod. Shame.

(Oh, and the "Scandalous" vs "Adore" debate? Come on! "Adore" everytime!! It's the Prince tour de force!!!)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 08/09/12 11:37pm

fragglerock

avatar

Adorecream said:

rialb said:

That's not the Captain but it is his official representative. He is much too important to mix with us regular Prince fans so he has someone do that for him. lol

Yes so he can listen to the Morning After and other classic Prince songs.

lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 08/13/12 4:24am

AndrewMc

Great podcast, keep up the good work guys. Would be great to hear longer snippets of songs / illustrate the point sometimes by playing the tune at that time... like Captain says he loves the synths at 3.12, would be great to hear them. What an album SOTT is. We need a remaster!! Sides 3&4 untouchable. Strange Relationship is probably the weakest track, but it's still a wonderful song. IGBABN is such a funky jam that it adds to the overall feel. Table to the Chair. Have some.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 08/13/12 3:47pm

rialb

avatar

AndrewMc said:

Great podcast, keep up the good work guys. Would be great to hear longer snippets of songs / illustrate the point sometimes by playing the tune at that time... like Captain says he loves the synths at 3.12, would be great to hear them. What an album SOTT is. We need a remaster!! Sides 3&4 untouchable. Strange Relationship is probably the weakest track, but it's still a wonderful song. IGBABN is such a funky jam that it adds to the overall feel. Table to the Chair. Have some.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that they are not permitted to play long snippets of songs. I think there are fair use laws that enable them to play very brief bits but if they play too much the purple police may come a-knockin' at their door.

It may be too time consuming for those folks with better things to do with their time but I find it is helpful to listen to each podcast twice. The first time you just listen to it straight through and the second time you pause it often and dive into the songs when they mention interesting bits.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 08/15/12 5:14am

AndrewMc

rialb said:

AndrewMc said:

Great podcast, keep up the good work guys. Would be great to hear longer snippets of songs / illustrate the point sometimes by playing the tune at that time... like Captain says he loves the synths at 3.12, would be great to hear them. What an album SOTT is. We need a remaster!! Sides 3&4 untouchable. Strange Relationship is probably the weakest track, but it's still a wonderful song. IGBABN is such a funky jam that it adds to the overall feel. Table to the Chair. Have some.

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that they are not permitted to play long snippets of songs. I think there are fair use laws that enable them to play very brief bits but if they play too much the purple police may come a-knockin' at their door.

It may be too time consuming for those folks with better things to do with their time but I find it is helpful to listen to each podcast twice. The first time you just listen to it straight through and the second time you pause it often and dive into the songs when they mention interesting bits.

Thanks for that Rialb - that makes sense. Sorry to diss Strange Relationship as I see it's one of your fav tracks. It's defo better live - saw a great piano version in Dublin on the ONA tour with Prince on the keys - it works really well in a concert setting.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 08/15/12 7:32am

rialb

avatar

AndrewMc said:

rialb said:

I'm not 100% certain but I believe that they are not permitted to play long snippets of songs. I think there are fair use laws that enable them to play very brief bits but if they play too much the purple police may come a-knockin' at their door.

It may be too time consuming for those folks with better things to do with their time but I find it is helpful to listen to each podcast twice. The first time you just listen to it straight through and the second time you pause it often and dive into the songs when they mention interesting bits.

Thanks for that Rialb - that makes sense. Sorry to diss Strange Relationship as I see it's one of your fav tracks. It's defo better live - saw a great piano version in Dublin on the ONA tour with Prince on the keys - it works really well in a concert setting.

No need to apologise, if you don't like "Strange Relationship" that's okay. wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 08/16/12 12:10am

aiden3121

Lordy said:

Another great episode chaps - so good that I'm feeling slightly guilty that us Brits are kicking Oz ass all over the Olympics. Ahem wink.

Please don't take ANY notice of 'stillwaiting'. Everybody's entitled to their opinion but I don't think I'm the only one in thinking that each minute of your podcasts are nothing less than fun or engaging for a passion that we all share. You've got a great dynamic, complement each other well and provide valuable info to a novice guitar player like myself. And as Toejam mentioned, you guys point out things that I missed and make me return to the music and see Princes' songs in a new light.

I was lucky enough to be a teenager in the 80s, awaiting each album with baited breath and to be honest most of the albums initially left me a little or very disappointed on first listen because of my high expectation but with repeated rotations I realised my folly. However, with "Sign of the Times" I was gobsmacked from the off and realised that I was listening to a classic straight off - for me it sounded so ahead of its' time, packed with fascinating diversity that made me think "Wow - this guy just got rid of the Revolution and comes up with this?!". You gotta share the mans' disappointment when "The Joshua Tree" got the grammy nod. Shame.

(Oh, and the "Scandalous" vs "Adore" debate? Come on! "Adore" everytime!! It's the Prince tour de force!!!)

Scandalous is a far superior track imo i think its his best ballad ever i would have adore maybe 3rd or 4th

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > PEACH & BLACK PODCAST - Sign 'O' The Times Review Part 2