independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 11th Dec 2019 10:41pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale- A GREAT album!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 06/03/12 8:37am

FnkyManifesto7

The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale- A GREAT album!

I can't get enough of this album! It's not my favorite album, nor is it Prince's best album, but every track is great! Most of the material, besides Old Friends 4 Sale( recorded in 86), was recorded sometime in the 90s around the Love Symbol Era, the era where PRince's backing band was at its best! You can tell their presence in some of the tracks. I feel that this album is somewhat underated on the org, but it has mostly favorable reviews from critics. The only downside of the album is the fact that they didn't release Old Friends 4 Sale in it's original, best form from '86.

1. The Rest of My Life- 8/10 - This track is a decent opener to the album. It's fun, catchy and the solos are great. My only problem with it is that its too short (roughly a minute and a half long)

2. It's About That Walk-9/10- This track is also extremely fun and catchy, and so are the lyrics.

3. She Spoke 2 Me-10/10- A highligh f the album, the guitar solo is great, and I can't get the rhythm of the muted trumpets out of my head. The last few minutes or so where the hole entire song changes is great too!

4. 5 Women-9/10- Great bluesy track. Fits in prefectly with the album.

5. When the Lights Go Down- 10/10- My favorite track from the album. Composition is great, and the lyrics are genious. I love how the first almost half of the song is all instruments.

6. My little Pill- 7/10- I like it, but it's extremely short and just ends on you. Its more of a segue-ish song if anything.

7. There Is Lonely- 8/10- Another short track, but the guitar is slick and the lyrics are very dark, so it makes up for it.

8. Old Friends 4 Sale- 9/10- It annoys me that the song was reworked for the album, but it turned out to be very cool. Its one of Prince's most cinematic songs, it's very James -Bond-ish (hey, they should use this song for the new James Bond movie wink )

9. Sarah- 8/10- Great track, great lyrics, instrumentation, etc.

10. Extraordinary- 8/10- great oldie's like track. Vocals are great

Overall- 86-100 B+

how do you rank this album?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 06/03/12 10:50am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

I totally agree. I like the album

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 06/03/12 10:56am

FnkyManifesto7

luv4u said:

I totally agree. I like the album

Finally! A Reply! Does anyone know the exact year or sessions these tracks were recorded. Alls I know is that most, except for ld Friends 4 Sale were recorded around Love Symbol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 06/03/12 10:58am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/03/12 11:01am

Emancipation89

Yes, it's one of my favorite albums to listen to as a whole. I was immediately hooked by the opening track "The Rest of My Life", fun, melodious and fast-paced. And before you know it you're listening to "It's About That Walk" already, I just love how smoothly and steadily it takes you from one track to the next one.

I'd give 10/10 for "5 Women" and "Old Friends 4 Sale", 9/10 for "She Spoke to Me". Never was a huge fan of "When the Lights Go Down".

I've always considered "My Little Pill" as an intriguing segue that adds that extra quirkiness to the album. "There Is Lonely" was sort of an unexpected mood-change. "Sarah" makes me giggle. Such a fun, upbeat track to listen to, musically and lyrically.

And "Extraordinary" to me is part 2 of Damn U, very smooth and sensual.

FnkyManifesto7 said:

8. Old Friends 4 Sale- 9/10- It annoys me that the song was reworked for the album, but it turned out to be very cool. Its one of Prince's most cinematic songs, it's very James -Bond-ish (hey, they should use this song for the new James Bond movie wink )

I agree completely. There was a thread about What's Prince's most cinematic song? not too long ago and I said Old Friends 4 Sale as well. (Actually the entire album is quite cinematic don't you think?) I mean you just can't help but to picture really dramatic climax scene from a movie when you hear this song. Great storytelling too, I believe he never performed this song live but I'd really love to hear the live version one day.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/03/12 11:12am

FnkyManifesto7

luv4u said:

Check out http://www.princevault.co...nds_4_Sale

Wow- thanks! Haven't noticed this website before.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/03/12 11:59am

Bohemian67

avatar

My favourite album even above PR. Honoured enough to have its very own playlist in ITunes coz when I need it, I want it all there and ready! One of those albums I can put on no matter what my mood and if I'm down it will cheer me up. If I'm tired it energises, if I'm feeling funky, I feel funkier smile

The rest of my life - Such a happy track and piano & horns, too cool 10/10

About that walk - Too funky....attitude song, the music the well timed breaks between it all just perfect, also happy happy. I likes the 'ah' here and there and the casual talk 10/10

She spoke to me - Hard to describe. The moment i hear the bassline I have to move. 8.20 minutes of sheer bliss. Lyrics great, sexy voice, smooth and creamy tune.....the break down of the instruments is just heaven! The guitar & keys so funky, the percussion & bass so perfect!!! The horns get a little hectic but it all comes back to the theme and it fits in. I wish no body talked in life and we could all just make sounds like this to each other instead. Hmmm 10/10

5 women - melodius and bassy ballad, lovely lyrics, hypnotic tune, stunning outro 10/10

When the lights - my favourite track often goes on repeat. Just the percussion and I'm sold. Then the keys with it. Vocals and lyrics gorgeous. If the word perfection was a tune. This is it. 10/10 (I wonder now if Space really is my favourite song or not?) hmmm

My little pill - I don't listen to this one. I should give it a zero. But I'll give it 5 coz it's short.

There is lonely - Luuuvly low registaaaaaaaaaaa. Super haunting track, music, lyrics and build up really good. On this whole album you hear every individual sound, that's what I love about it. 9/10

OFFS - Took me a while to like this one. But when it pops up on the ipod I like it more and more. Great vocals and now I know the album was meant for a movie, understand its place. Good track but after the previous jazzy ones a slight mood drop. 'night fell darkest in Persia' love that line. Hey, I just heard 'only heaven knows' why in there. Hmmm clever how lines can inspire new songs. 8/10

Sarah - Fun track. Great instrument mix, a tad bit high horns in a few places. 8/10

Extraordinary - Another perfect piece of music. Idealistic dreamy Prince. Love it, the music, lyrics, and delivery. Tip-top! 10/10

So 90, a straight A+ only Little pill that brings it down. I wish he'd make another album like this.

foodnow

"Free URself, B the best that U can B, 3rd Apartment from the Sun, nothing left to fear" Prince Rogers Nelson - Forever in my Life -
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/03/12 1:09pm

rdhull

avatar

Bohemian67 said:

My favourite album even above PR.

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/03/12 1:47pm

MarquessMarq

avatar

Love it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 06/03/12 1:55pm

rdhull

avatar

MarquessMarq said:

Love it.

More than Rain? SOTT?

c'mon baby, where's ya guts?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 06/03/12 2:04pm

Spinlight

avatar

It's way too short, but I dig the album. "She Spoke To Me" is in my top 20 of all time; when I heard the extended version I was thrilled. "It's About That Walk" was an instant classic for me. I really like the overdubs on "5 Women" and having crystal clear and properly mastered versions of "Sarah", "There Is Lonely", and "The Rest of My Life" is amazing.

Totally dig "Extraordinary", but was not that into "When The Lights Go Down."

Never liked the revamped "Old Friends 4 Sale" or "My Little Pill", so wasn't that thrilled with those 2.

All in all, I think its a much more clever outtake release than Crystal Ball was. The song choices seemed smart and appropriate. It is totally too short and I could see about 3-4 more songs on here rounding it out. I wish Crystal Ball had this intuitive and exciting approach to it, but I felt CB was kind of lazily slapped together with no real regard to what the fans might want - rather it seemed to be just what Prince wanted to see released. Guess I can't blame him for doing his own thing, but it was a let down for me.

Wish CBII had happened because that seemed like it would be along the lines of The Vault:OF4S in that the song choices seemed more cohesive and interesting.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 06/03/12 2:26pm

Red

The Vault & Truth albums on heavy rotation here.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 06/03/12 3:31pm

SDNafka

avatar

FnkyManifesto7 said:

I can't get enough of this album! It's not my favorite album, nor is it Prince's best album, but every track is great! Most of the material, besides Old Friends 4 Sale( recorded in 86), was recorded sometime in the 90s around the Love Symbol Era, the era where PRince's backing band was at its best! You can tell their presence in some of the tracks. I feel that this album is somewhat underated on the org, but it has mostly favorable reviews from critics. The only downside of the album is the fact that they didn't release Old Friends 4 Sale in it's original, best form from '86.

1. The Rest of My Life- 8/10 - This track is a decent opener to the album. It's fun, catchy and the solos are great. My only problem with it is that its too short (roughly a minute and a half long)

2. It's About That Walk-9/10- This track is also extremely fun and catchy, and so are the lyrics.

3. She Spoke 2 Me-10/10- A highligh f the album, the guitar solo is great, and I can't get the rhythm of the muted trumpets out of my head. The last few minutes or so where the hole entire song changes is great too!

4. 5 Women-9/10- Great bluesy track. Fits in prefectly with the album.

5. When the Lights Go Down- 10/10- My favorite track from the album. Composition is great, and the lyrics are genious. I love how the first almost half of the song is all instruments.

6. My little Pill- 7/10- I like it, but it's extremely short and just ends on you. Its more of a segue-ish song if anything.

7. There Is Lonely- 8/10- Another short track, but the guitar is slick and the lyrics are very dark, so it makes up for it.

8. Old Friends 4 Sale- 9/10- It annoys me that the song was reworked for the album, but it turned out to be very cool. Its one of Prince's most cinematic songs, it's very James -Bond-ish (hey, they should use this song for the new James Bond movie wink )

9. Sarah- 8/10- Great track, great lyrics, instrumentation, etc.

10. Extraordinary- 8/10- great oldie's like track. Vocals are great

Overall- 86-100 B+

how do you rank this album?

I agree with pretty much every word you said (or typed) here. Its one of the few 90s albums I still listen to regularly. I have She Spoke 2 Me and When the Lights Go Down in my "travelling to work on the train" mix on my mp3 player, so I hear them at least once a week.

Oh yeah, and When the Lights Go Down is the prefect track to put on if you're planning to...get extremely friendly with someone...put that on and light a few candles and let the games begin!

"Don't hate me cos I'm beautiful"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 06/03/12 3:46pm

NeonCraxx

avatar

My least favorite Prince album actually.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 06/03/12 3:52pm

Harlepolis

For a long time I thought "Sarah" was an outtake from 86 until I found out that it was recorded in 93. Great track.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 06/03/12 3:53pm

SDNafka

avatar

NeonCraxx said:

My least favorite Prince album actually.

You have heard New Power Soul haven't you?wink

"Don't hate me cos I'm beautiful"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 06/03/12 4:00pm

Serious

avatar

A very underrated Prince album IMO

With a very special thank you to Tina: Is hammer already absolute, how much some people verändern...ICH hope is never so I will be! And if, then I hope that I would then have wen in my environment who joins me in the A....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 06/03/12 5:32pm

mzsadii

avatar

This album ranks high w/me, besides, it has a song named after me. lol

Prince's Sarah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 06/03/12 5:32pm

smiler69

there isn't even one song on this album that I don't like....hard to say, least favourite is Extraordinary but is a nice finisher for the album.

Favourite is She Spoke 2 Me...

This is what it's like in the dream factory...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 06/03/12 5:34pm

Adorecream

Totally agree, bought it off Itunes last year (It came out in my Prince void between 1998 and 2005) and decided its pretty good, theres no real garbage, From my much maligned list.

1 The Rest of my life 6
2 Its about that walk 9
3 She spoke to me 10
4 5 women 6
5 When the lights go down 6
6 My little pill 5
7 There is lonely 7
8 Old friends 4 sale 8
9 Sarah 7
10 Extraordinary

7

The Marks are out of ten. The first track is okay but a bit short. Track 2 and Track 3 are the highlights, she spoke 2 me is amongst his best. I love the jazzy interlude at the end too "I'm just digging the scene bay bee" And I love the line "Your ass is like a fine cut diamond, mounted on two legs of stone". The rest is okay, Old friends is pretty good, but the Charade version (1985) is so much better. Sarah and extraordinary type songs could go on every other album. But for all of its collective merits (Most of the stuff was from the Symbol to Chaos period) it was second rate next to those albums, if it was on Come or new songs on the Hits, it would have been better. My little pill is a self indulgent experiment, buts its amusing at least, the part about the Pixie doing his laundry and the universe his will is funny.

Overall it got 71/100 a B on my scale which means its a solid album but not great album. There are two very stand out tracks and one weak one. The rest ios average, but not filler, but adequate enough. It scored higher than Emancipation on my list and much higher than New Powersoul and just higher than Rave. The only better album from this (1996 -2000) period was Crystal Ball, but most of the high scorers were older songs.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 06/03/12 5:35pm

NeonCraxx

avatar

SDNafka said:

NeonCraxx said:

My least favorite Prince album actually.

You have heard New Power Soul haven't you?wink

I knew somebody was going to ask me that.

Yes I have. I enjoy that album way more, it has some awesome tracks I like

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 06/03/12 5:46pm

Adorecream

She spoke 2 me is a great song. I remember being one of the few people to go see Girl 6 back in 1996. My theatre in Dunedin New Zealand was nearly deserted and my mate did not like it. I thought the movie was alright, but I remember "She spoke 2 me" and "Don't talk to strangers" and thinking I should buy the soundtrack, but was 2 broke. The movie was a flop.

But the sexy falsetto brings cream to the song and the hornz adds more cream and then his jazzy breakdown, harmony vocals just drown me in the cream of this song. Its just that good.

Did anyone else remember Girl 6? about a phone sex hostess stalked by a crazed caller.

Got some kind of love for you, and I don't even know your name
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 06/03/12 5:57pm

SDNafka

avatar

NeonCraxx said:

SDNafka said:

You have heard New Power Soul haven't you?wink

I knew somebody was going to ask me that.

Yes I have. I enjoy that album way more, it has some awesome tracks I like

I was just doing a bit of stirring. Everyone finds different aspects of Prince's music that appeal to them. I don't mind 2 or 3 of the tracks on NPS. though it would be in my bottom 5 Prince albums.

"Don't hate me cos I'm beautiful"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 06/03/12 5:59pm

SDNafka

avatar

Adorecream said:

She spoke 2 me is a great song. I remember being one of the few people to go see Girl 6 back in 1996. My theatre in Dunedin New Zealand was nearly deserted and my mate did not like it. I thought the movie was alright, but I remember "She spoke 2 me" and "Don't talk to strangers" and thinking I should buy the soundtrack, but was 2 broke. The movie was a flop.

But the sexy falsetto brings cream to the song and the hornz adds more cream and then his jazzy breakdown, harmony vocals just drown me in the cream of this song. Its just that good.

Did anyone else remember Girl 6? about a phone sex hostess stalked by a crazed caller.

I bought the soundtrack as soon as it came out. I've still never seen the movie. I'd only ever have seen the movie to hear the music anyway.

"Don't hate me cos I'm beautiful"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 06/03/12 7:22pm

KCOOLMUZIQ

Its a "MasterPiece"!!!! "When The Lights Go Down"(Unlike a troll said) is in my all time top favorite Prince slow jams list..."She Spoke To Me" & "Extraordinary" was two addicted trax that eye needed therapy to stop playing over & over again..... giggle

eye will ALWAYS think of prince like a "ACT OF GOD"! N another realm. eye mean of all people who might of been aliens or angels.if found out that prince wasn't of this earth, eye would not have been that surprised. R.I.P. prince
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 06/03/12 10:25pm

ScissorsRockPa
per

Great album, period.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 06/03/12 11:46pm

jonylawson

WHEN THE LIGHTS GO DOWN could be one of my all time fave songs.period

sshe spoke to me..10/10.amazing track

old friends 4 sale...fuckin horrible.butchered the original

its about that walk? 9/10? you high on banana skins?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 06/04/12 6:33am

Graycap23

Serious said:

A very underrated Prince album IMO

Yep.........

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 06/04/12 6:45am

Poplife88

avatar

When the Lights Go Down is one his best songs...absolutely brilliant. 5 Women is also one of the highlights for me.

The whole album is great, but it bugs me too that its not the original version of Old Friends 4 Sale. It would be close to perfect if he didnt re-record that song.

We're gonna need a bigger boat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 06/04/12 10:39am

MadamGoodnight

My faves on this: Extraordinary, a lot like Inseparable by Natalie Cole. Luv that one. 5 Women, I like listening to that bluesy sound, and the wordplay. OF4S haunting & sad. She Spoke To Me, sexy, jazzy tune...*speak 2 me baby*.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale- A GREAT album!