independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 26th Jun 2019 6:57pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince the beginning of greatness: 4U- Prince 1976-1980
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Reply #30 posted 07/25/11 8:55am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

2elijah said:

My goodness, you are truly a Prince historian. You have it down to the notch.

I would love to be a part of a real Prince documentary in parts there is so much to his life as an artist. So much during these time periods that we still don't have or haven't seen pics and info on

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #31 posted 07/25/11 10:14am

2elijah

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

2elijah said:

My goodness, you are truly a Prince historian. You have it down to the notch.

I would love to be a part of a real Prince documentary in parts there is so much to his life as an artist. So much during these time periods that we still don't have or haven't seen pics and info on

Well, thanks for sharing, you do a great job of putting the photos and a little history behind them together, from various eras of his music/performance career, when you post them here. Not to mention, sometimes I find out about songs I've never heard by him, that you post here. It's amazing the plethora of songs he has written over the years.

The abortion ban issue...any relation to 2045 or pre-1848?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #32 posted 07/25/11 9:41pm

Whitnail

avatar

2elijah said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I would love to be a part of a real Prince documentary in parts there is so much to his life as an artist. So much during these time periods that we still don't have or haven't seen pics and info on

Well, thanks for sharing, you do a great job of putting the photos and a little history behind them together, from various eras of his music/performance career, when you post them here. Not to mention, sometimes I find out about songs I've never heard by him, that you post here. It's amazing the plethora of songs he has written over the years.

You know what is great, to come back here to the org, and some of you are still here, sharing stuff ´bout Prince n stuff, but also the wisdom and knowledge, that makes one grow wiser...i am so proud to be part of this community...

PS I apologise for my sentimental outbursts...but I really love this place sometimes

If it were not for insanity, I would be sane.

"True to his status as the last enigma in music, Prince crashed into London this week in a ball of confusion" The Times 2014
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #33 posted 07/26/11 12:38am

rudeboy4711

More ol skool pics and from Prince's first proffessional performance at the Capri Theater:

[img:$uid]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/rudeboy4711/1978200017E0.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/rudeboy4711/WITHDEZ.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/rudeboy4711/110.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/rudeboy4711/109.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/rudeboy4711/Prince_1976_Resize.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/rudeboy4711/0.jpg[/img:$uid]

[img:$uid]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e117/rudeboy4711/PrinceMorris.jpg[/img:$uid]

Judging from the second pic, it looks as if he had a lot of influence from Santana and Shuggie Otis

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #34 posted 07/26/11 11:22am

Whitnail

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Is there an actor/musician in the wings, a now-unrecognized future star that will someday rival the artistry of Prince, whose January 1979 concert at the Capri is ranked as one of his five best, and at which he signed his first recording contract?

http://www.thecapritheate...hp?paged=2



The Capri Theater
2027 West Broadway
Minneapolis, MN 55411



1.6.1979 Capri Theater Minn

2 letters...NO

although i thought Janelle might do it, but...NO

If it were not for insanity, I would be sane.

"True to his status as the last enigma in music, Prince crashed into London this week in a ball of confusion" The Times 2014
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #35 posted 07/26/11 11:45am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Whitnail said:

2elijah said:

Well, thanks for sharing, you do a great job of putting the photos and a little history behind them together, from various eras of his music/performance career, when you post them here. Not to mention, sometimes I find out about songs I've never heard by him, that you post here. It's amazing the plethora of songs he has written over the years.

You know what is great, to come back here to the org, and some of you are still here, sharing stuff ´bout Prince n stuff, but also the wisdom and knowledge, that makes one grow wiser...i am so proud to be part of this community...

PS I apologise for my sentimental outbursts...but I really love this place sometimes

lol I still enjoy it, now if we can fine tune the Org and cut out a lot of the nonsense, maybe even Prince will take some notice hehehe

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #36 posted 07/26/11 12:54pm

Whitnail

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Whitnail said:

You know what is great, to come back here to the org, and some of you are still here, sharing stuff ´bout Prince n stuff, but also the wisdom and knowledge, that makes one grow wiser...i am so proud to be part of this community...

PS I apologise for my sentimental outbursts...but I really love this place sometimes

lol I still enjoy it, now if we can fine tune the Org and cut out a lot of the nonsense, maybe even Prince will take some notice hehehe

that would be...heaven, or almost cool

If it were not for insanity, I would be sane.

"True to his status as the last enigma in music, Prince crashed into London this week in a ball of confusion" The Times 2014
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #37 posted 07/26/11 1:33pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Whitnail said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

Is there an actor/musician in the wings, a now-unrecognized future star that will someday rival the artistry of Prince, whose January 1979 concert at the Capri is ranked as one of his five best, and at which he signed his first recording contract?

http://www.thecapritheate...hp?paged=2



The Capri Theater
2027 West Broadway
Minneapolis, MN 55411



1.6.1979 Capri Theater Minn

2 letters...NO

although i thought Janelle might do it, but...NO

I agree, there are some good performers/musicians out there

But I think the super star eras are over

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #38 posted 07/29/11 10:41am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

[img:$uid]http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/21303846/sn/172565132/name/n_a[/img:$uid]

Just As Long As We're Together

Released November 21, 1978
Recorded October-December 1977

The song consists of two verses and multiple repeats of the chorus before a coda at the end. The coda is actually an instrumental track originally called "Jelly Jam" that was added to "Just as Long as We're Together", and modified over time to blend into the main track. Andre Cymone co-leads on this song.

B-side:In Love

U can live your own life and I'll live mine
I will never try 2 keep U down
Even if I only see U some of the time
I'm just happy when U come around
Even if the sun don't shine
I'm warm enough when U're in these arms of mine
CHORUS:
Just as long as we're 2gether
Everything's alright (Everything's alright)
Everything's alright (Everything's alright)

There is nothin' that will overcome the love we share
Nothin' that will break us apart
Girl, I got 2 always have U in my hair
Gotta always have U in my heart
Ooh baby, your place or mine
I'll get the music baby, U bring the wine

Just as long as we're 2gether
Oh girl, there ain't nothin' better (Just as long as we're 2gether)

CHORUS

Just as long as there is U
I'll be around doing what U want me 2
Just as long as there is me
I'll be around singin' your melody, sugar
Just as long as we're 2gether (Everything's alright)
Oh baby, everything's alright
Just as long as we're 2gether (Everything's alright)
Oh girl, everything's alright
Just as long as we're 2gether (Everything's alright)
Oh girl, everything's alright
Don't U know there ain't nothin' better (Everything's alright)
I really want U baby in my life, U know
© 1978 Ecnirp Music Inc. - BMI

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #39 posted 07/29/11 11:46am

Timmy84

biggrin @ his tour photos. Look at Prince and Dez in one photo and Prince and 'Dre in another. cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #40 posted 08/02/11 7:38am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



http://deborahfeingold.wo...manners-4/

prince5_1980

Prince 1980 © Deborah Feingold

Back In 1980, NYC offered two alternative weeklies for those who needed to be in the know: the Village Voice and the Soho Weekly News. I was shooting for both back then and this assignment came from SWN. The shoot was at the Bottom Line, a club in Greenwich Village famous for showcasing new artists. The subject that night was then known as… Prince. My photo editor instructed me to shoot the usual concert shots but also asked that I wrangle a backstage portrait. Usually the editors handled that part of the assignment logistics but not this time. The concert stuff was easy for me, but having to talk my way backstage … not so easy for this shy girl.

There was a lot of noise about this mysterious young musician from Minneapolis, so I showed up early and waited by his dressing room door. After fifteen minutes of light door knocking, a large man opened the door. I looked up at him as he looked down at me; neither of us spoke. Then I heard a weird, high-pitched sound come out of me, asking to take a photo of Prince. His eyes never left my face as he shook his head no and shut the door. Privately relieved that I would only have to shoot the concert, I turned away just as the door reopened and an even larger man appeared. He introduced himself as Prince’s manager and told me, with words, that Prince did not do photo shoots. “Okay, just had to ask. Thank you.” I smiled and dashed off to jockey for position.

As the lights dimmed and the opening act walked onto the stage, I felt a hand on my shoulder. Turning around, I saw Prince’s manager signaling me to follow him. When we arrived at Prince’s dressing room, he smiled and said, “You were so damn polite, c’mon in and take some pictures.”

Ps. I’m not sure who was more shy that night. We shot for about a minute. I was extremely nervous as I struggled to engage him in the shoot. Not knowing what else to do, I handed him my camera and suggested that he take a picture, which he seemed happy and relieved to do!

prince6_1980





#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #41 posted 08/02/11 8:36am

rgsince81

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:

Nice Pix!!!!!! Thanks

Pray Daily!!!!! RIP AMY WINEHOUSE Keep Calm, Carry on
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #42 posted 08/02/11 8:56am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

With Prince planning to release no less than four new albums this year, we thought it would be fun to relive one of the boy wonder's earliest gigs. Don Snowden was at the Roxy in LA to witness the miniature Minneapolitan's "jarring mixture" of styles, his review appearing in the Los Angeles

Times on 29 November, 1979.--Barney Hoskyns, Editorial Director, Rock's Backpages

It must be a daunting prospect for anyone to make his or her performing debut, save for a couple of hometown Minneapolis tune-ups, before an industry-heavy crowd at the Roxy. That was the situation confronting Prince Wednesday night.

Prince, 19, is something of a wunderkind who produced, arranged and composed all the material and played all the instruments on his two Warner Bros. albums. His vinyl output, somewhat like Stevie Wonder's, is aimed squarely at the black-pop mainstream and crossover audiences but his live show is heavily influenced by hard-rock flash.

The result is a bizarre combination of musical and visual elements. Guitarist Des Dickerson (black leather jacket and leopard skin pants) and bassist Andre Cymone (legs encased in plastic wrap) both look more punk than funk. Prince largely sticks to guitar and throws enough pelvic grinds and phallic guitar poses at the audience to give most obnoxiously macho rock stars a run for their money.

Prince sings in a thin falsetto that recalls Eddie Holman (remember "Hey There, Lonely Girl"?), but his vocals lack the power to cut through the instrumental attack on the rock-oriented material that comprised half of the hour-long set. The largely black audience responded more favorably to the more restrained, carefully crafted funk exercises like "Sexy Dancer" and "I Wanna Be Your Lover." The latter is the nation's No. 1 soul single this week and also rising fast on the pop charts.

The slack pacing and Prince's uneasiness as a front man can be chalked up to a simple lack of stage experience, but a more pressing problem is his attempt to straddle two disparate musical worlds. That's not necessarily a bad move, but it is a jarring mixture at this point. Prince obviously is a talented new arrival, but he needs to reconcile those two musical instincts if he is to maximize his potential as a live performer.

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #43 posted 08/02/11 9:04am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Wendy Melvoin: I'll just go back quickly when I was 13 and my twin sister and I used to sneak out of the house and we used to go to a club in hollywood called the Starwood. I remember we were dancing I was 13 and we were pretending to be 16 17 still underage but u know... and I heard this song on the dancefloor Soft n Wet and I ran up 2 the dj at the time, I was like OMG who's that girl that your playing and he was like oh no thats not a girl that's just this kid from Minneapolis his name is Prince he's 19 bla bla bla and that's where it started 4 me.
Chicago Public Radio:Sound Opinions 2009

Soft And Wet

Hey lover, I've got a sugarcane
That I wanna lose in U, baby can U stand the pain?
Hey lover, sugar don't U see?
There's so many things that U do 2 me... ooh baby!

(Hey lover) All I wanna see is the love in your eyes
And all I wanna hear is your sweet love sighs
(Hey lover) All I wanna feel is your burning flame
Tell me, tell me baby that U feel the same
Tell me that U feel the same way I do
Tell me that U love me girl

If this is lust, then I must confess I feel it everyday
If this is wrong, then I long 2 be as far from right as I may
Soft and wet, soft and wet

Soft and wet, soft and wet

Everytime I am with U, U just love me 2 death
Ooh wee baby, U leave me without breath ... oh baby
Ooh yeah

(Hey lover) U're just as soft as a lion tamed
And U're just as wet as the evening rain
(Hey lover) I really dig it when U call my name
Your love is driving me, U're driving me insane
Crazy baby, oh girl, crazy about your love

Soft and wet
U know U are soft and wet
4 sure girl, your love is soft and wet
Ooh, soft and wet


© 1978 Ecnirp Music Inc. - BMI

[Edited 8/2/11 9:12am]

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #44 posted 08/05/11 10:55am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #45 posted 08/05/11 10:59am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #46 posted 08/10/11 6:29am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

OldFriends4Sale said:

New York City, February 1980.

1._ 2.André 3.Prince 4.Cynthia Horner, at the time editorial director for teen magazine Right On!

5._6._

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #47 posted 08/10/11 6:30am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Rolling Stone
-----

RECORDS

PRINCE
Warner Bros.

By Stephen Holden

Not only does Prince possess the most thrilling R&B falsetto since Smokey Robinson, but this nineteen-year-old. Minneapolis-bred Wunderkind is his own writer-producer and one-man band, playing synthesizer, guitar, drums and percussion. Whereas Prince's debut album (last year's For You) stressed his instrumental virtuosity, Prince teems with hooks that echo everyone from the Temptations to Jimi Hendrix to Todd Rundgren. But Smokey Robinson's classic Motown hits, in which the singer's falsetto signified his erotic thrall, are Prince's chief models.

The biggest difference between Robinson and Prince is the latter's blatant sexuality. Prince sings exclusively in falsetto. Instead of narrative ballads that trace the progress of relationships, Prince's songs are erotic declarations issued on the dance floor or in bed, virtually interchangeable arenas here. These compositions begin and end in sexual heat. The garish, synthesized textures of such tunes as "I Wanna Be Your Lover" and "Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?" don't so much imitate a band backing a singer as enclose his voice in a feverish calliope of the mind, underscoring the urgency of lyrics like "I wanna be the only one you come for," "Sexy dancer, when you rub my body/...it gets me so hot" and "I want to come inside of you." The simplicity of Prince's words, hooks and rhythms are pure pop. With a trace more sophistication, he could become a solo Bee Gees of the libido.

ROLLING STONE

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #48 posted 08/10/11 9:13pm

kimrachell

wow! great photos! eek biggrin biggrin

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #49 posted 08/11/11 7:01am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

SashaNicole said:

OldFriends4Sale said:


What for an guitar is that ? Whats the name of it?

I've actually never noticed that one until you highlighted it, something to look into

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #50 posted 08/11/11 11:45am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



Possessed: the Rise & Fall of Prince
p 30 chapt 2 One Man Band

The tour resumed and eventually hooked up with the popular funkster Rick James, with Prince serving as the opening act. Featuring an established veteran and an up-and-coming artist, these shows were a bonanza for fans and were billed by promoters as "The Battle of Funk," which helped generate rivalry between the two bands. Often, Prince's concise, energetic sets were more appealing than James' ponderous two-hour performances. "We were young and hungry, and we started kicking his butt." remembered Rivkin.

http://www.thedawnexperie....php?t=196


Saturday, March 29, 2008 — by Wow Jones
In an earlier post, I wrote about an interesting anecdote from the Rick James autobiography regarding Rick James’ and Prince’s rivalry.
In a post on a Prince website message board, a member wrote about his/her experiences watching Prince open up for Rick James. What he/she revealed is just as insightful as Rick James’ account.
————————————————————————————————-
PDogz (wildgoldenhoney from Prince.org) account at a Rick James concert, check it out:
1979: Attended a Rick James concert in Charlotte, NC. Prince was the opening act - Blew EVERYONE away! Rick James could not compare when he followed Prince’s act. In fact, about 20 minutes into Rick’s set, people in the audience started walking out. It wasn’t that Rick James performed poorly, it was just that after seeing Prince - there was no where else to go! Prince wore everybody out! I feel like I was a part of history that night. May Rick James be resting peacefully.
His entire set was about 45 minutes or so of complete mayhem and frenzy!
When you first entered the Coliseum, there was no curtain and everything was setup at the front edge of the stage: mic-stands, keyboards, and very few other props. The drum set was in the middle of the stage placed up on a little riser with an oval-shaped sign over it (which was first covered in canvas) that had “PRINCE” spelled out in lights, as in the logo on his 1979 “Prince” album. Everybody was just standing around, jamming to the pre-concert music that they play over the system, smoking joints, grooving, and basically waiting for Rick James.
No one really knew who Prince was yet. In fact, I thought we were about to see a band called “Prince For You” (the title of his first album). I didn’t know yet that Prince was an individual and not just the name of a band. I thought certainly that no one would be actually named “Prince”.

Then… BAMM! The lights went out, and you could make out 3 shadowy figures move onto the stage, and then stood with their backs to the audience. The rest of the band took their place, and all you could hear over the sound system was someone speaking in a low, sort of foreboding tone:

“Charlotte, are you ready for me?” — Prince

The drum roll hit, the stage lights came up, and Andre, Prince, and Dez turned and all charged about 4 or 5 steps toward the audience – and everybody freaked the Hell out! These guys looked scary as shit! The one in the middle (who I soon learned was Prince) had this spiky hairdo, full make-up, a pink leather motorcycle jacket, panties, black stockings, and pumps! The audience reaction was pure fright! Then Prince reached around to his back, pulled his guitar around to the front, then the whole band started jamming “Sexy Dancer”, and the crowd quickly got over their fright and started rocking to the music and jamming along - all hands were in the air. By the end of that first song, everybody was like: “Oh shit! This guy AIN’T playing!” The party was ON full blast!
Their play list consisted of songs from his first two albums, but the song they did that most sticks out in my mind is when they played “Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?”, because Prince was ad-libbing a lot. Like:
Why you wanna treat me so bad? Is it the clothes I wear?
Why you wanna treat me so mean? Is it the style of my hair?

But what completely blew people away was when they played their encore: “I Wanna Be Your Lover”.

Prince went mad, threw off that cool ass pink leather jacket, peeled off his stockings, threw them at the audience, and was running around the stage jamming to the beat with nothing but his guitar, bikini underwear, and high-heeled boots (with little stars on the side). And then once he was done jacking-off the microphone (as if he were giving it head - Prince was a real whore on stage back then), tossed his guitar to the side, reached his hand down into his panties to cover his dick, and pulled his panties all the way down to his knees, gyrating toward the audience with only his hand covering his dick! WTF!!! The audience was going crazy! At the end of his set, Prince said “Damn Charlotte, we’re gonna have to come back here again soon!”

And that was it! I was a stoned-cold Prince fan! I started telling people about Prince the next day!
At that point, everybody was standing around like they had completely forgot about Rick James. But the roadies came out and moved all of Prince’s stuff off stage, the sign over the drums came apart into two pieces and they removed that. But what really tripped me out was once all of Prince’s equipment was off stage, they removed the backdrop that was behind Prince’s set, and you could see that the stage was actually HUGE and that Prince had only been setup right up at the front. There was a giant curtain hanging behind all of that. After several more moments of getting everything set up, the lights dimmed again, the music started, the curtain opened up, and there you could see that this stage was about a mile wide and a mile deep! This was Rick James’s stage!
Rick came out, and The King of Punk Funk reminded you of what you came here for! His show was awesome, but I’ll save it for another thread. But it was interesting to note that many people in the audience started moving out, because at least initially, Rick was no comparison to what we had all just seen out there! Don’t get me wrong, Rick tore the roof off that sucker, but it was hard to stop thinking about what we had just seen Prince do out there.
Rick’s show was about 2 hours long, and the Stoned City Band succeeded in funking us to death! The show was actually exhausting! I remember thinking “How in the Hell can they do this every night, and from town to town?” Ahh, the memories!


#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #51 posted 08/11/11 11:46am

TylerHippie

avatar

OldFriends4Sale said:



Possessed: the Rise & Fall of Prince
p 30 chapt 2 One Man Band

The tour resumed and eventually hooked up with the popular funkster Rick James, with Prince serving as the opening act. Featuring an established veteran and an up-and-coming artist, these shows were a bonanza for fans and were billed by promoters as "The Battle of Funk," which helped generate rivalry between the two bands. Often, Prince's concise, energetic sets were more appealing than James' ponderous two-hour performances. "We were young and hungry, and we started kicking his butt." remembered Rivkin.

http://www.thedawnexperie....php?t=196


Saturday, March 29, 2008 — by Wow Jones
In an earlier post, I wrote about an interesting anecdote from the Rick James autobiography regarding Rick James’ and Prince’s rivalry.
In a post on a Prince website message board, a member wrote about his/her experiences watching Prince open up for Rick James. What he/she revealed is just as insightful as Rick James’ account.
————————————————————————————————-
PDogz (wildgoldenhoney from Prince.org) account at a Rick James concert, check it out:
1979: Attended a Rick James concert in Charlotte, NC. Prince was the opening act - Blew EVERYONE away! Rick James could not compare when he followed Prince’s act. In fact, about 20 minutes into Rick’s set, people in the audience started walking out. It wasn’t that Rick James performed poorly, it was just that after seeing Prince - there was no where else to go! Prince wore everybody out! I feel like I was a part of history that night. May Rick James be resting peacefully.
His entire set was about 45 minutes or so of complete mayhem and frenzy!
When you first entered the Coliseum, there was no curtain and everything was setup at the front edge of the stage: mic-stands, keyboards, and very few other props. The drum set was in the middle of the stage placed up on a little riser with an oval-shaped sign over it (which was first covered in canvas) that had “PRINCE” spelled out in lights, as in the logo on his 1979 “Prince” album. Everybody was just standing around, jamming to the pre-concert music that they play over the system, smoking joints, grooving, and basically waiting for Rick James.
No one really knew who Prince was yet. In fact, I thought we were about to see a band called “Prince For You” (the title of his first album). I didn’t know yet that Prince was an individual and not just the name of a band. I thought certainly that no one would be actually named “Prince”.

Then… BAMM! The lights went out, and you could make out 3 shadowy figures move onto the stage, and then stood with their backs to the audience. The rest of the band took their place, and all you could hear over the sound system was someone speaking in a low, sort of foreboding tone:

“Charlotte, are you ready for me?” — Prince

The drum roll hit, the stage lights came up, and Andre, Prince, and Dez turned and all charged about 4 or 5 steps toward the audience – and everybody freaked the Hell out! These guys looked scary as shit! The one in the middle (who I soon learned was Prince) had this spiky hairdo, full make-up, a pink leather motorcycle jacket, panties, black stockings, and pumps! The audience reaction was pure fright! Then Prince reached around to his back, pulled his guitar around to the front, then the whole band started jamming “Sexy Dancer”, and the crowd quickly got over their fright and started rocking to the music and jamming along - all hands were in the air. By the end of that first song, everybody was like: “Oh shit! This guy AIN’T playing!” The party was ON full blast!
Their play list consisted of songs from his first two albums, but the song they did that most sticks out in my mind is when they played “Why You Wanna Treat Me So Bad?”, because Prince was ad-libbing a lot. Like:
Why you wanna treat me so bad? Is it the clothes I wear?
Why you wanna treat me so mean? Is it the style of my hair?

But what completely blew people away was when they played their encore: “I Wanna Be Your Lover”.

Prince went mad, threw off that cool ass pink leather jacket, peeled off his stockings, threw them at the audience, and was running around the stage jamming to the beat with nothing but his guitar, bikini underwear, and high-heeled boots (with little stars on the side). And then once he was done jacking-off the microphone (as if he were giving it head - Prince was a real whore on stage back then), tossed his guitar to the side, reached his hand down into his panties to cover his dick, and pulled his panties all the way down to his knees, gyrating toward the audience with only his hand covering his dick! WTF!!! The audience was going crazy! At the end of his set, Prince said “Damn Charlotte, we’re gonna have to come back here again soon!”

And that was it! I was a stoned-cold Prince fan! I started telling people about Prince the next day!
At that point, everybody was standing around like they had completely forgot about Rick James. But the roadies came out and moved all of Prince’s stuff off stage, the sign over the drums came apart into two pieces and they removed that. But what really tripped me out was once all of Prince’s equipment was off stage, they removed the backdrop that was behind Prince’s set, and you could see that the stage was actually HUGE and that Prince had only been setup right up at the front. There was a giant curtain hanging behind all of that. After several more moments of getting everything set up, the lights dimmed again, the music started, the curtain opened up, and there you could see that this stage was about a mile wide and a mile deep! This was Rick James’s stage!
Rick came out, and The King of Punk Funk reminded you of what you came here for! His show was awesome, but I’ll save it for another thread. But it was interesting to note that many people in the audience started moving out, because at least initially, Rick was no comparison to what we had all just seen out there! Don’t get me wrong, Rick tore the roof off that sucker, but it was hard to stop thinking about what we had just seen Prince do out there.
Rick’s show was about 2 hours long, and the Stoned City Band succeeded in funking us to death! The show was actually exhausting! I remember thinking “How in the Hell can they do this every night, and from town to town?” Ahh, the memories!


What kind of jacket is that?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #52 posted 08/11/11 11:46am

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #53 posted 08/11/11 11:47am

Timmy84

OldFriends4Sale said:

With so much happening / or not happening with Prince, and him being in a very 'different' place now, I want to look at his beginning, the few years that lead up to the release of For U & Prince. Talk about the foundation of the person doing the W2A shows.

[Edited 8/5/11 11:27am]

Whoa, that's the first time I've seen THIS picture. When was it taken? 1979? '80?

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #54 posted 08/11/11 11:48am

Timmy84

OldFriends4Sale said:

I call 'Dre, Prince and Dez the original "Dream Team". Hahaha. cool

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #55 posted 08/11/11 12:01pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #56 posted 08/11/11 12:02pm

Timmy84

OldFriends4Sale said:

Is it me or does he remind me of Morris in the first picture? lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #57 posted 08/11/11 12:27pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

Timmy84 said:

OldFriends4Sale said:

I call 'Dre, Prince and Dez the original "Dream Team". Hahaha. cool

lol I did like they way they rocked together

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #58 posted 08/15/11 5:45pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator

[img:$uid]http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/21303846/sn/729295210/name/n_a[/img:$uid]

It's Gonna Be Lonely

We've been 2gether 4 quite some time
I'd think by now U'd know
It'll take 4ever 2 get U off my mind
If ever U decide 2 go
I guess I got a little insecurity
When it's concerning U
I guess I'm just afraid that if U ever leave
I'd be in a messed-up state of blue

And I'd be so lonely
Without U loving me, I know it's gonna be lonely
Without U giving me every little single thing that I need
Lonely

Whatever's in your kiss, it really turns me on
Till I go right out of my mind
And who could ever resist your accent from gay Paree
It gets me every time
I betcha thatcha never knew that in my dreams
U are the star
The only bummer is that U always want 2 leave
Who do U think U are?

Don't U know it's gonna be lonely?
Without U loving me, I know it's gonna be lonely
Without U giving me every little single thing that I need
Lonely

It's gonna be lonely
Without U loving me, giving me everything that I need
Oh pretty baby, can't U see it's gonna be lonely?

Without U loving me
I know, I know it's gonna be lonely

Oh, whatever's in your kiss
I never could resist
Oh baby, don't go!

We've been 2gether 4 quite some time
It would take 4ever 2 get U off my mind
Oh girl!

Without U loving me
I know it's gonna be lonely

Without U by my side
Don't U know that I could die, baby?

Without U loving me
Can't U see it's gonna be lonely?

It's gonna be lonely, baby
So lonely, baby

© 1979 Ecnirp Music Inc. - BMI


[img:$uid]http://d.yimg.com/kq/groups/21303846/sn/566039218/name/n_a[/img:$uid]

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #59 posted 08/15/11 5:47pm

OldFriends4Sal
e

avatar

moderator



Still Waiting

All my friends tell me about the loves they've had
Can't they see what they're doing 2 me, it makes me feel so bad
Cuz I'm so alone and broken-hearted
It ain't like my life is ended, but more like it never started
The love my friends rap about I keep anticipating
I try so hard but don't U know my patience is fading away, away

Still waiting - I'm waiting 4 that love
Still waiting - I wish on every star above
Still waiting - Waiting 4 the love 2 come around ... oh love
Waiting 4 the love 2 come around

People say that I'm 2 young, 2 young 2 fall in love
But they don't know
They really don't know that's all that I've been dreamin' of
Cuz I spend my nights just-a-cryin'
And I spend my days just-a-tryin'
2 find that love 2 call my own
Cuz I'm sick and tired of bein' alone

Still waiting - Waiting 4 that love
Still waiting - I wish on every star above
Still waiting - I'm waiting 4 the love 2 come around ... oh
(Waiting 4 the love) Don't U know that I'm waiting
(Waiting 4 the love) Still
(Waiting 4 the love) 2 come around now
I need somebody 2 hold onto, baby

Waiting and waiting, don't U know that I'm..
Still waiting - I'm waiting 4 your love sugar
Still waiting - If U're out there girl, please come 2 me
Still waiting - Don't make me cry no more
Still waiting - If U're out there baby, please come 2 me
Still waiting - I'm wishing and wishing 4 days baby
Still waiting - If U're out there girl, please come 2 me
Still waiting {x2}


© 1979 Ecnirp Music Inc. - BMI

#IDEFINEME #ALBUMSSTILLMATTER

A Liar Shall Not Tarry In My Presence

What's the matter with your life
Is poverty bringing U down?
Is the mailman jerking U 'round?
Did he put your million dollar check
In someone else's box?
Tell me, what's the m
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 2 of 3 <123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Prince the beginning of greatness: 4U- Prince 1976-1980