independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Tue 21st Jan 2020 1:11pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > too much guitar?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/03/11 9:43am

4everyours

too much guitar?

I feel like a hypocrite as I pose this question as there was a time where I was calling for him to play more guitar whether live or on CD but for the past several years it seems like he is playing guitar on everything and almost seems uncomfortable on stage without it. At first I thought this was due to his decreased mobility due to hip issues, age or whatever as it seemed like a way to "hide" behind his guitar. And if so, I do not blame him, father time catches up with all of us but I seem to miss some of his instrument diversity. I feel like for a lot of songs he feels the need to insert blistering guitar solos or riffs and they are great but could it be that if you see it too much you are no longer in awe or appreciative of it? Like the thread implies, this is merely a question not a statement but something that I have struggled with and just curious if anyone else has questioned this.

I do recognize that this could appear to be "sacreligious" and please note that no one is a bigger fan of the Endorphina Machine, Interactive, Bambi, Electric Chair, PR, The Cross/Christ, etc..... than I so don't nuke me or think I am anti-rock guy cause not at all but I just miss a bit of that, as I said, diversity as I like when he does piano as well as bass. I know he has messed with the bass here and there in concert but it seems to be just a few bars and then he sets it down. The guitar thing really hit me when I was watching the French TV thing and he grabbed the guitar at the beginning of DMSR, now I know he handed it back realitively fast, but what did he need it for on that song you have a rhythm guitar player behind you, sort of. lol

A side thought is that most of us have access to every performance in some way so I know that for the average person who may see him every few years they are still amazed and I still am too even by the standards (watch Milan version of PR, whew!!) so I can appreciate that argument.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/03/11 10:45am

robertgeorgeak
abob

4everyours said:

I feel like a hypocrite as I pose this question as there was a time where I was calling for him to play more guitar whether live or on CD but for the past several years it seems like he is playing guitar on everything and almost seems uncomfortable on stage without it. At first I thought this was due to his decreased mobility due to hip issues, age or whatever as it seemed like a way to "hide" behind his guitar. And if so, I do not blame him, father time catches up with all of us but I seem to miss some of his instrument diversity. I feel like for a lot of songs he feels the need to insert blistering guitar solos or riffs and they are great but could it be that if you see it too much you are no longer in awe or appreciative of it? Like the thread implies, this is merely a question not a statement but something that I have struggled with and just curious if anyone else has questioned this.

I do recognize that this could appear to be "sacreligious" and please note that no one is a bigger fan of the Endorphina Machine, Interactive, Bambi, Electric Chair, PR, The Cross/Christ, etc..... than I so don't nuke me or think I am anti-rock guy cause not at all but I just miss a bit of that, as I said, diversity as I like when he does piano as well as bass. I know he has messed with the bass here and there in concert but it seems to be just a few bars and then he sets it down. The guitar thing really hit me when I was watching the French TV thing and he grabbed the guitar at the beginning of DMSR, now I know he handed it back realitively fast, but what did he need it for on that song you have a rhythm guitar player behind you, sort of. lol

A side thought is that most of us have access to every performance in some way so I know that for the average person who may see him every few years they are still amazed and I still am too even by the standards (watch Milan version of PR, whew!!) so I can appreciate that argument.

been thinking this myself. the beauty of his earlier guitar playing was the economy he displayed, letting the song breathe, keeping it low in the mix, nice and subtle. i'm thinking of something like when doves cry or alphabet st as examples. i'm tired of prince shredding guitar solos when they're not needed, he might think of himself as technically more competent but it's BORING!!! so predictable and unoriginal. his best tours have been when he lays off the guitar for the most part, but don't expect it to change soon considering he's just added a guitarist to the band who struggles with barre chords.

don't play me...i'm over 30 and i DO smoke weed....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/03/11 11:02am

thedance

avatar

lol

seems like Prince can't do just 1 thing right to escape complaints these days.

Personally I find his guitarplaying just brilliant, when you see him play live - it's chockingly good.

you guys are really ungrateful, imo.

wink

Prince 4Ever. heart
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/03/11 11:06am

Timmy84

Nah I love his guitar playing. Just wished he did a rock album - but he never will. lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/03/11 11:08am

V10LETBLUES

LOVE the guitar playing!

The more the better.

For me that has grown to be my favorite part of listening to new Prince music, live or otherwise.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/03/11 11:29am

robertgeorgeak
abob

thedance said:

lol

seems like Prince can't do just 1 thing right to escape complaints these days.

Personally I find his guitarplaying just brilliant, when you see him play live - it's chockingly good.

you guys are really ungrateful, imo.

wink

we're giving our opinions, how is that being ungrateful???

don't play me...i'm over 30 and i DO smoke weed....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/03/11 12:13pm

derrick31

V10LETBLUES said:

LOVE the guitar playing!

The more the better.

For me that has grown to be my favorite part of listening to new Prince music, live or otherwise.

Yep!<img src=" src="http://prince.org/i/s/icon_lol.gif" />

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/03/11 12:20pm

thebanishedone

Love the guitar,on his original early tours he played guitar in every song

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/03/11 12:46pm

4everyours

thebanishedone said:

Love the guitar,on his original early tours he played guitar in every song

You make a great point, thanks! For the poster who talk about "complaining", I was not complaining just merely asking a question among other like minded people about something I observed and wonder if others thought the same. The notion by some folks on here that anything that could even suggest a negative Prince comment is to be banished and never uttered again is crazy.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/03/11 1:03pm

Mdizzles

4everyours said:

thebanishedone said:

Love the guitar,on his original early tours he played guitar in every song

You make a great point, thanks! For the poster who talk about "complaining", I was not complaining just merely asking a question among other like minded people about something I observed and wonder if others thought the same. The notion by some folks on here that anything that could even suggest a negative Prince comment is to be banished and never uttered again is crazy.

well this IS a Prince fan forum.... you're gonna get that every now and then.lol

but to answer your question... i semi-agree with you.... i think I prefer when he had a rhythm guitar that was able to hold down those parts while he did something else on piano or anything else he decided to do during the song.

but at the same time... the mans a great player and i love hearing him play.

I guess what i'm really saying is... i'm torn. lol.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/03/11 1:09pm

armpit

avatar

4everyours said:

I feel like a hypocrite as I pose this question as there was a time where I was calling for him to play more guitar whether live or on CD but for the past several years it seems like he is playing guitar on everything and almost seems uncomfortable on stage without it. At first I thought this was due to his decreased mobility due to hip issues, age or whatever as it seemed like a way to "hide" behind his guitar. And if so, I do not blame him, father time catches up with all of us but I seem to miss some of his instrument diversity. I feel like for a lot of songs he feels the need to insert blistering guitar solos or riffs and they are great but could it be that if you see it too much you are no longer in awe or appreciative of it? Like the thread implies, this is merely a question not a statement but something that I have struggled with and just curious if anyone else has questioned this.

I do recognize that this could appear to be "sacreligious" and please note that no one is a bigger fan of the Endorphina Machine, Interactive, Bambi, Electric Chair, PR, The Cross/Christ, etc..... than I so don't nuke me or think I am anti-rock guy cause not at all but I just miss a bit of that, as I said, diversity as I like when he does piano as well as bass. I know he has messed with the bass here and there in concert but it seems to be just a few bars and then he sets it down. The guitar thing really hit me when I was watching the French TV thing and he grabbed the guitar at the beginning of DMSR, now I know he handed it back realitively fast, but what did he need it for on that song you have a rhythm guitar player behind you, sort of. lol

A side thought is that most of us have access to every performance in some way so I know that for the average person who may see him every few years they are still amazed and I still am too even by the standards (watch Milan version of PR, whew!!) so I can appreciate that argument.

...There's such a thing as too much guitar? lol

"I don't think you'd do well in captivity." - random person's comment to me the other day
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/03/11 2:05pm

treehouse

His guitar playing has improved, and it keeps him engaged with the songs. Whenever he takes it off, the energy drops.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/03/11 2:57pm

robertgeorgeak
abob

treehouse said:

His guitar playing has improved, and it keeps him engaged with the songs. Whenever he takes it off, the energy drops.

that's because the bands he's been using for years haven't the fearlessness of the revolution or the early npg. in those days prince could lay off playing and create some drama and tension in his performance, wendy and brownmarks rhythm playing was always simple and in the pocket allowing the epic baby i'm a star extended jams to be different every night he played. levi seacer was a great musician and bandleader in his own right too, i don't see that in his band at the moment.

don't play me...i'm over 30 and i DO smoke weed....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/03/11 3:46pm

thebanishedone

Prince only do what he does the best in the world play guitar

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/03/11 4:21pm

Rinluv

avatar

Only thing I have a problem with in Prince's guitar, is the solos. I love the solos but NOW a days he seems to go overboard with the solos. And Im like ok Prince we all know you can play.

Some people think I'm kinda cute
But that don't compute when it comes 2 Y-O-U.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/03/11 5:22pm

treehouse

robertgeorgeakabob said:

that's because the bands he's been using for years haven't the fearlessness of the revolution or the early npg.

I don't disagree, but I don't think that's it entirely...I doubt he was even capable of the solos on Fury during SNL, or While My Guitar Gently weeps until recently.

Playing Purple Rain 150+ times a year would get boring without him finding something inspiring about it, and while I do think he's overcompensating for Andy Allo, I also think the passion in those guitar solos is genuine, more than filler. Better the guitar than his overbearing backup singers taking over. If that era is over, I'm happy. Oh, and worse yet, was the Purple Rain era when the kick drum would solo for 2 minutes waiting for Prince to come back on stage with a new hat on.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/04/11 2:16am

physco185

i enjoy the way Prince takes on his guitar.... he is great at it and should never stop... Prince is a supa cool guitar player music

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/04/11 7:11am

carinemjj

avatar

I do enjoy him playing his guitar, no problem with that at least it's him doing what he loves to do. I'd say more guitar & Prince, less Maceo maybe...

Yeah, I love Graffiti Bridge movie, so what? ''Oooooooooooh Montreal, say it!''
If you can't be nice to someone on the net, you probably ain't worth much talking to in real life either.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 07/04/11 7:21am

Cravens

avatar

The instrumentation matters very little to me with Prince. He could write, record and perform on with rubber band, like this:

... but in the end, it's more important that he sells his passion for what he does to me.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 07/04/11 8:29am

dandeeland

nah he needs to play more guitar. I wish he would go more rock rather this funk style he always try to do. The only bad thing to me is that his guitar playing the last few years has been really sloppy and lazy. HOWEVER, I would rather hear that than anything else he does like these dance jams or ballads. The more guitar the better, sloppy or not

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 07/04/11 8:31am

dandeeland

Oh and I HATE when he plays Piano. That is the ultimate snooze fest when he does these piano medleys. Thats what I wish he would stop doing. Guitar...keep playing!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 07/04/11 10:27am

RodeoSchro

avatar

Timmy84 said:

Nah I love his guitar playing. Just wished he did a rock album - but he never will. lol

Yeah, but you burn your own Prince rock album, and it'll have dozens of songs on it!

Second Funkiest White Man in America

P&R's Palladin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 07/04/11 10:41am

Timmy84

RodeoSchro said:

Timmy84 said:

Nah I love his guitar playing. Just wished he did a rock album - but he never will. lol

Yeah, but you burn your own Prince rock album, and it'll have dozens of songs on it!

TRUE! falloff

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > too much guitar?