independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 20th Nov 2019 9:44pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What is "Joy In Repetition"about?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/20/11 12:47pm

whendovescry24
6

What is "Joy In Repetition"about?

I love the song , but i dont understand it what so ever...please help!!!

She gave her angels to her man her lover her son her father for all these things he ment to her she felt it right she gave her angels that summer night
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/20/11 12:55pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

it is about oh... 5 minutes

No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/20/11 1:06pm

Genesia

avatar

It's about the hypnotic quality of love - and how you don't always have to be searching for something new once you've found it.

We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/20/11 1:11pm

ColAngus

avatar

eek I like Genesia's take on it ...

I have always found "joy" to be a very poetic song .

Mysterious ... yet revealing ...

about the simplicity of life ... when it all boils down to "love" ...

he talks about her repeating 2 words ... (seemingly "fuck me" ... )

and then it turns out to be "love me" ....

which says alot about my dirty mind ... neutral

Colonel Angus may be smelly. colonel angus may be a little rough . but deep down ... Colonel angus is very sweet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/20/11 1:17pm

OnlyNDaUsa

avatar

Love is god

Also it is about seeking acceptance in a world full of sin
No one is coming for your abortion: they just want common-sense abortion regulations: background checks, waiting periods, lifetime limits, take a class, and a small tax.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/20/11 1:33pm

PositivityFore
ver

yeahthat yeahthat

Genesia said:

It's about the hypnotic quality of love - and how you don't always have to be searching for something new once you've found it.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/20/11 2:55pm

temptation68

Joy in repetition..... has a spoken word vibe mixed with a climactic LOVE journey
While definitely my take is its a sexual song (fuck me)... But ultimately Love Me!
Please do not get me started cause this is my favorite foreplay song..... I'm out!.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/20/11 2:58pm

TheFreakerFant
astic

avatar

Its about wanting to repeatedly re-live the magic moments of Love that you enjoy,

ie. example you keep kissing, you are enjoying the repetition of kissing each time and savouring it. In the songs case, its about the joy of holding someone...

[Edited 5/20/11 15:10pm]

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/20/11 3:48pm

funkomatic

Definitely too many civilized answers in this thread?! eek

Not only Prince is getting old as it seems! wink

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/20/11 4:03pm

dJJ

It's a good love story,

How she repeats "love me" is how I feel oftentimes,

And the sound of the words and the music, it's just enchanting, guitar is sooo good, his voice depicts the emotion of the song. I don't think I'm making sense here, however, maybe you understand.

It's my favorite song. It's on replay often lol

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/21/11 7:28am

ufoclub

avatar

It is about the terrible eternal longing for love, for her, and him. They are both l
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/21/11 7:32am

ufoclub

avatar

It is about the terrible eternal longing for love, for her, and him. They are both lonely and unfulfilled at the end and reduced to a mantra. Her pleading "love me" and him screaming "why can't you love me?" as he seems to be reduced to a mantra of frustration and passion. I wouldn't say this is a happy song. It's a scary song.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/21/11 8:19am

dJJ

ufoclub said:

It is about the terrible eternal longing for love, for her, and him. They are both lonely and unfulfilled at the end and reduced to a mantra. Her pleading "love me" and him screaming "why can't you love me?" as he seems to be reduced to a mantra of frustration and passion. I wouldn't say this is a happy song. It's a scary song.

Beautiful interpretation. And my experience uptill now with love is exactly what you describe. Not being able to meet eachoter need for love and not hearing or understanding eachother.

For me it still is a good love story, in the way that it represents love in a good way.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/21/11 8:29am

eireboy34

It's about the fact there is "joy" in "repetition"

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/21/11 8:34am

dJJ

eireboy34 said:

It's about the fact there is "joy" in "repetition"

Yes, however, to me it's not only about the physical side of love. It's also the need and longing for the heart love, I think.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 05/21/11 3:07pm

NONSENSE

Genesia said:

It's about the hypnotic quality of love - and how you don't always have to be searching for something new once you've found it.

beautiful answer.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 05/21/11 11:20pm

veronikka

ufoclub said:

It is about the terrible eternal longing for love, for her, and him. They are both lonely and unfulfilled at the end and reduced to a mantra. Her pleading "love me" and him screaming "why can't you love me?" as he seems to be reduced to a mantra of frustration and passion. I wouldn't say this is a happy song. It's a scary song.

so where is the joy in repetition in all this?

Rhythm floods my heart♥The melody it feeds my soul
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 05/22/11 9:21am

ufoclub

avatar

veronikka said:

ufoclub said:

It is about the terrible eternal longing for love, for her, and him. They are both lonely and unfulfilled at the end and reduced to a mantra. Her pleading "love me" and him screaming "why can't you love me?" as he seems to be reduced to a mantra of frustration and passion. I wouldn't say this is a happy song. It's a scary song.

so where is the joy in repetition in all this?

The joy could be the drive for an endless cycle of relationships or love, to hope for one over and over again.

"Holding someone is truly believing, there's joy in repetition"

Take the tone of the music (slow voodoo like atmosphere) and the actual words that are said at the end ("Why can't you love me? Come on and love me!"), this is a song that might be about trying over and over again, the joy is seemingly a spell-like, possibly tragic thing. It's more like addiction. So the use of the word "joy" might be the same as saying there's joy in heroin addiction.

But of course only Prince knows for sure what it means to him.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 05/22/11 9:26am

NouveauDance

avatar

It's about getting porked.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 05/22/11 10:55am

novabrkr

ufoclub said:

veronikka said:

so where is the joy in repetition in all this?

The joy could be the drive for an endless cycle of relationships or love, to hope for one over and over again.

"Holding someone is truly believing, there's joy in repetition"

Take the tone of the music (slow voodoo like atmosphere) and the actual words that are said at the end ("Why can't you love me? Come on and love me!"), this is a song that might be about trying over and over again, the joy is seemingly a spell-like, possibly tragic thing. It's more like addiction. So the use of the word "joy" might be the same as saying there's joy in heroin addiction.

But of course only Prince knows for sure what it means to him.

Yes, I think you've nailed it by bringing up the aspect of an endless cycle and comparing it to an addiction. I tried to write a similar response, but couldn't come up with as good an explanation as you did.

It's certainly not about "joy" in some simplistic, one-dimensional sense. Prince's vocals at the end of the track should be a direct indication of that. The performance conveys a strong sense of despair and even suffering. I'd like to know what he was reading at the time, because the idea and especially the title of the song ("joy in repetition") seem to reflect several central psychoanalytic ideas. I doubt Prince was really gettin' his Freud on at the time, but perhaps he was into something else that employed those thoughts.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 05/22/11 6:15pm

terrig

to become as good a musician as prince in there is endles endless repetition. the mechanical physical practice of mastering the music....the end musical product being his ultimate expression of joy, all kinds of emotion and thought...connected to the attempt at mastering the human condition of love....

'Holding someone is truly believing there's joy in repetition.'

there's a wonderful hypnotic deep meditative state one can enter when you're in a state of repetition. smile it's blissful if you're in love with whatever or whoever you're doing....

at least that's what i think it means.

keep at it until you get it right ? smile

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 05/22/11 6:25pm

Spinlight

avatar

novabrkr said:

ufoclub said:

The joy could be the drive for an endless cycle of relationships or love, to hope for one over and over again.

"Holding someone is truly believing, there's joy in repetition"

Take the tone of the music (slow voodoo like atmosphere) and the actual words that are said at the end ("Why can't you love me? Come on and love me!"), this is a song that might be about trying over and over again, the joy is seemingly a spell-like, possibly tragic thing. It's more like addiction. So the use of the word "joy" might be the same as saying there's joy in heroin addiction.

But of course only Prince knows for sure what it means to him.

Yes, I think you've nailed it by bringing up the aspect of an endless cycle and comparing it to an addiction. I tried to write a similar response, but couldn't come up with as good an explanation as you did.

It's certainly not about "joy" in some simplistic, one-dimensional sense. Prince's vocals at the end of the track should be a direct indication of that. The performance conveys a strong sense of despair and even suffering. I'd like to know what he was reading at the time, because the idea and especially the title of the song ("joy in repetition") seem to reflect several central psychoanalytic ideas. I doubt Prince was really gettin' his Freud on at the time, but perhaps he was into something else that employed those thoughts.

Well, he was going through a really rough time, by most accounts, with Susannah at the time of this recording.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 05/22/11 8:03pm

HonestMan13

avatar

It's about going into a seedy bar in a bad part of town and seeing some chick that you dig then you throw her over your shoulder and run out the back door into an alley and get y'all freakinastinessexing on! razz It's very poetic!

When eye go 2 a Prince concert or related event it's all heart up in the house but when eye log onto this site and the miasma of bitchiness is completely overwhelming!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 05/22/11 8:36pm

mrInsatiable

avatar

Definitely a personal favorite of mine, Joy In Repetition. like many 'mysterious' Prince songs, is open to a myriad of interpretations. For me, it is a song about a woman whose plaintive wail of Love Me resonates and captivates a man who, like everyone else in the bar, had overlooked and underappreciated her.

This woman, so desperate, so longing for love, screams out for someone, anyone, to love her. It is a cry for unconditional love. And this man, who wasn't necessarily searching for her, hears her. He understands her. He apparently wants someone to love and she needs to be loved.

As far as the meaning of the title, I think it also can be interpreted in a number of ways. For me, the Joy In Repetition is that she is perfectly happy and content only crying to be loved. How does the line go - 'no one was watching her and she didn't seem to care'? There can be joy in pain, joy in longing, joy in repeated heartfelt angst. It's great song for anyone who just wants to be 'loved'.

Does anybody know you're here? This house of ill-repute...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 05/22/11 8:47pm

Militant

avatar

moderator

Spinlight said:

Well, he was going through a really rough time, by most accounts, with Susannah at the time of this recording.

Yup, very much a part of those legendary 1986 sessions. "The Cross", "Sign O' The Times", "Joy In Repetition", "I Could Never Take The Place Of Your Man" and "Everybody Wants What They Don't Got" were all done within the same week, mid July 1986.

This week commenced just 8 days after the theatrical release of "Under The Cherry Moon" and it would have been quite clear at that point that the movie was not getting the reception that Prince wanted.... to put it lightly. No doubt he was very frustrated in many ways at the time and this spurred the creation of some of his most inspired work.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 05/22/11 8:59pm

eyewishuheaven

avatar

Creeeeepy... this song came up on shuffle just as I was reading this.

It's about dish soap.

PRINCE: the only man who could wear high heels and makeup and STILL steal your woman!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 05/23/11 1:26am

soainst

ufoclub said:

It is about the terrible eternal longing for love, for her, and him. They are both lonely and unfulfilled at the end and reduced to a mantra. Her pleading "love me" and him screaming "why can't you love me?" as he seems to be reduced to a mantra of frustration and passion. I wouldn't say this is a happy song. It's a scary song.

very interesting observation, this song (and also couple other of my favs) joins those two seemingly opposites: love and frustration / lust and desperation / companionship and lonliness in ONE song. This is the unbalancing part. There is tons of songwriting on one OR the other subject line. Prince combines them in a very tricky way, where there is only a thin line between those two extremes.

Computer Blue is kind of like this, rollercoasting almost like an opera from the full spectrum of emotions, the killer example for me is the end of the guitar solo where the high note goes from crying (sad) to screaming (mad) although it´s the same note, just the way he plays and places it. Spooky but geniously arranged. If you listen to the Long Version of She is always in my hair or pay close attention to the lyrics (maybe I marry her, maybe not, maybe I will not be lost...) you will also find those opposites again.

I like Joy in Repetition also for the unique lyrics and hypnotic chords. The song is almost like you keep listening to a story because you really want to hear the end.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 05/23/11 1:40am

eireboy34

eyewishuheaven said:

Creeeeepy... this song came up on shuffle just as I was reading this.

It's about dish soap.

Well now we know! lol

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 05/23/11 4:33am

dJJ

I love all the responses, what you all felt and think from this song.

In the end eyewishuheaven nailed it. lol lol lol

It allways has been one of my favourites, after all these interpretations, song is in my top 3.

99% of my posts are ironic. Maybe this post sides with the other 1%.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 05/23/11 5:08pm

mzsadii

avatar

If you love enough, it just might catch on.

Prince's Sarah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > What is "Joy In Repetition"about?