independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 29th Jan 2020 1:19am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 77 Beverly Park
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 04/29/10 8:48am

Boysexy1992

77 Beverly Park

is it just me or is this instrumental beautiful
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 04/29/10 8:57am

Genesia

avatar

I love it. I've said this before, but the music sounds (to me) like Prince is coming out of a very dark place and into the light. Onto a sun-drenched patio with a warm breeze...a dry, citrus-laced Spanish white...and a dish of olives... cool
We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 04/29/10 9:17am

billymeade

avatar

The opening of it is bad-ass - wish he would've continued down that path. Then it opens up into Venus De Milo II: Electric Boogaloo. Pass.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 04/29/10 9:28am

ARock

avatar

I feel like they r two completely different (great) songs that should not have been meshed togeather
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 04/29/10 9:36am

Genesia

avatar

ARock said:

I feel like they r two completely different (great) songs that should not have been meshed togeather


I actually like that aspect of it. I get what he's trying to say. shrug
We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 04/29/10 9:53am

OperatingTheta
n

avatar

Reminds me of being in Ibiza in a bar by the beach, the sea-air ruffling my hair (when I actually had hair).

We then went clubbing and got crazy. But yes ... I kind of do like this instrumental. Prefer the jams on 'N.E.W.S' and 'Xpectation' though. 'C-Note' also.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 04/29/10 9:53am

Bohemian67

avatar

No, it's not just you. This song is first class.
"Free URself, B the best that U can B, 3rd Apartment from the Sun, nothing left to fear" Prince Rogers Nelson - Forever in my Life -
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 04/29/10 10:11am

errant

avatar

I like both parts of it, but I wish there was a full version of that gritty heavy metal part that starts it out.
"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 04/29/10 10:22am

PurpleLove7

avatar

moderator

Boysexy1992 said:

is it just me or is this instrumental beautiful


All of P's instrumentals are always so moving. I love this song. smile
Peace ... & Stay Funky ...

~* The only love there is, is the love "we" make *~

www.facebook.com/purplefunklover
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 04/29/10 10:28am

purpledoveuk

I'd better listen again... It's always seemed disposable to me but I haven't listen to it much
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 04/29/10 11:21am

luv4u

Moderator

avatar

moderator

music
Edmonton, AB - canada
Mod Goddess of the SNIP & BAN Making Moves - OF4S
Ohh purple joy oh purple bliss oh purple rapture!
REAL MUSIC by REAL MUSICIANS - Prince
"I kind of wish there was a reason for Prince to make the site crash more" ~~ Ben
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 04/29/10 11:24am

saafiir

avatar

yes
I'll die in your arms under the cherry moon...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 04/29/10 11:52am

NDRU

avatar

Initially I was also disappointed that it didn't continue what it began with, but now that I'm used to it I like it. It's not totally original sounding melodically, but it's a nice unexpected twist.

Plus it's surrounded by more uptempo songs. I don't feel this disc has too many ballads, as I think MPLSound does. This disc has definitely grown on me.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 04/29/10 1:17pm

dance4me3121

I remember buying the 3disc Lotus set the day after it came out and for sum reason i put in Lotus first. When this song was starting,I remember thinking "Oh man this song is gonna be BADASS!" but then it went slow.... its grown on me though.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 04/29/10 2:03pm

IstenSzek

avatar

Genesia said:

I love it. I've said this before, but the music sounds (to me) like Prince is coming out of a very dark place and into the light. Onto a sun-drenched patio with a warm breeze...a dry, citrus-laced Spanish white...and a dish of olives... cool


well said. that's what it feels like to me as well. kinda like going from
lust to love. very nice song.
and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 04/29/10 2:07pm

IstenSzek

avatar

NDRU said:

Initially I was also disappointed that it didn't continue what it began with, but now that I'm used to it I like it. It's not totally original sounding melodically, but it's a nice unexpected twist.

Plus it's surrounded by more uptempo songs. I don't feel this disc has too many ballads, as I think MPLSound does. This disc has definitely grown on me.


yeah, mpls could have used a bit more variation. ditch two ballads and
replace them with something a bit more 'band' sounding, but still some
hard hitting funk.

i'm thinking stuff like "f.u.n.k." and "turn me loose" might have been
good songs to put on there to ease up a bit on the linn and give that
album a little more 'life'.

funk as the opening cut, turn me loose in the middle and no more candy
to close it off, just to keep the book ends and the axis more organic.
the sound of that album is too bland and the vibe is too slow, which
takes away from the good songs that are on there.

now, lotusflower, i love start to finish. wouldn't change a thing on
that disc. great, great album.
and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 04/29/10 3:05pm

veronikka

heart
Rhythm floods my heart♥The melody it feeds my soul
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 04/29/10 3:15pm

Brofie

avatar

Boysexy1992 said:

is it just me or is this instrumental beautiful


Easily the most underrated track on the album and beyond the comprehension of the popular music audience - including most of Prince's fan base.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 04/29/10 4:16pm

errant

avatar

Brofie said:

Boysexy1992 said:

is it just me or is this instrumental beautiful


Easily the most underrated track on the album and beyond the comprehension of the popular music audience - including most of Prince's fan base.



really? that's what you think? pretty much everyone that's responded to this thread has said they like it.
"does my cock look fat in these jeans?"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 04/29/10 4:32pm

NDRU

avatar

errant said:

Brofie said:



Easily the most underrated track on the album and beyond the comprehension of the popular music audience - including most of Prince's fan base.



really? that's what you think? pretty much everyone that's responded to this thread has said they like it.


but that can't comprehend why they like it
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 04/29/10 4:56pm

colorblu

Genesia said:

I love it. I've said this before, but the music sounds (to me) like Prince is coming out of a very dark place and into the light. Onto a sun-drenched patio with a warm breeze...a dry, citrus-laced Spanish white...and a dish of olives... cool


yes sweet
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 04/29/10 4:58pm

colorblu

IstenSzek said:

Genesia said:

I love it. I've said this before, but the music sounds (to me) like Prince is coming out of a very dark place and into the light. Onto a sun-drenched patio with a warm breeze...a dry, citrus-laced Spanish white...and a dish of olives... cool


well said. that's what it feels like to me as well. kinda like going from
lust to love. very nice song
.


sexy 2 sun
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 04/30/10 1:56am

HamsterHuey

IstenSzek said:

now, lotusflower, i love start to finish. wouldn't change a thing on
that disc. great, great album.


I used the last hour to give it another try, but I still think it's lame, boring and uninspired as a whole, except a few of the songs that stand out. He's no great song writer anymore. Just an above average itty ditty writer.
>>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 04/30/10 4:37am

IstenSzek

avatar

HamsterHuey said:

IstenSzek said:

now, lotusflower, i love start to finish. wouldn't change a thing on
that disc. great, great album.


I used the last hour to give it another try, but I still think it's lame, boring and uninspired as a whole, except a few of the songs that stand out. He's no great song writer anymore. Just an above average itty ditty writer.


it's strange how we differ so much on this album hmmm
and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 04/30/10 4:50am

HamsterHuey

IstenSzek said:

HamsterHuey said:



I used the last hour to give it another try, but I still think it's lame, boring and uninspired as a whole, except a few of the songs that stand out. He's no great song writer anymore. Just an above average itty ditty writer.


it's strange how we differ so much on this album hmmm


Hey! We need lovers of bland stuff as well. razz

Colonised Mind, Crimson and Clover and Dreamer are great, love them, some of the others okay (Wall Of Berlin and The Morning After) but the rest is sub-par, bland and boring to me. I even had a listening session this morning, to see if the months mellowed me to the music, but no. I still have the same opinion after I had when I listened to it for the first time.

Let's not talk about MPLSound, okay? cool
>>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 04/30/10 5:00am

IstenSzek

avatar

HamsterHuey said:

IstenSzek said:



it's strange how we differ so much on this album hmmm


Hey! We need lovers of bland stuff as well. razz

Colonised Mind, Crimson and Clover and Dreamer are great, love them, some of the others okay (Wall Of Berlin and The Morning After) but the rest is sub-par, bland and boring to me. I even had a listening session this morning, to see if the months mellowed me to the music, but no. I still have the same opinion after I had when I listened to it for the first time.

Let's not talk about MPLSound, okay? cool


nice to see that we can still agree on that one highfive
and true love lives on lollipops and crisps
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 04/30/10 5:02am

HamsterHuey

IstenSzek said:

HamsterHuey said:

Let's not talk about MPLSound, okay? cool


nice to see that we can still agree on that one highfive


Phew. But then Maartje & Jurrie love that one to bits. In short; Prince fans will never agree. Ever. This site is useless.
>>
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 04/30/10 7:19am

datdude

billymeade said:

The opening of it is bad-ass - wish he would've continued down that path. Then it opens up into Venus De Milo II: Electric Boogaloo. Pass.



falloff
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 04/30/10 7:24am

Giovanni777

avatar

Love this piece.

Firstly, the way the initial distorted blues guitar musically morphs into the beautiful music following, and we R then hearing melodies Prince has never used before.

VERY reminiscent of traditional Italian music.

I'm also hearing something reminiscent of Stevie Wonder's 'Secret Life of Plants'.


.
[Edited 4/30/10 7:26am]
"He's a musician's musician..."
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 04/30/10 7:59am

Genesia

avatar

Giovanni777 said:

Love this piece.

Firstly, the way the initial distorted blues guitar musically morphs into the beautiful music following, and we R then hearing melodies Prince has never used before.

VERY reminiscent of traditional Italian music.

I'm also hearing something reminiscent of Stevie Wonder's 'Secret Life of Plants'.



It has a fado-ish feel, to me. I was listening to Carlos Ramos this morning...77 Beverly Park reminds me of Nao Venhas Tarde.

And since we know he hangs (occasionally, at least) with Ana Moura...
We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 2 12>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > 77 Beverly Park