independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Mon 20th Jan 2020 9:57am
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Lets listen to all the albums backwards.
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/05/09 4:05am

Huggiebear

avatar

Lets listen to all the albums backwards.

Just as an idea I decided to start listening to all the albums I have by Prince starting with Lotus then MPLS sound and going back right2 For You. Currently I am going Musicology, just to see how his sound changes as I go back. May be u should 2. I am also making notes on them as I go back and will keep it updated.

Lotusflow3r - Still sounds quite good after several listens, Musical numbers are better sounding, still love Crimson and Clover, Dreamer and $ and Colonized mind probably his best song for the millenium.

MPLSound - Still funky as hell, like the whole album, ballads improve with a few listens, very catchy jams, definetley sounds more retro than lotus

Indigo Nights - Still hard to stomach, very average but long winded and too many slow bits, some good singing by Shelby J though.

Planet Earth - Sounds better than ever, nearly as good as lotus. Lion of Judah and Planet Earth strong rock, lots of guitar and Guitar good fun

3121 - Still outstanding, great funky numbers like Black Sweat, dreamy ballads like TAC and superior jams like Get on the Boat and 3121. Lots of guitar here too, has anyone noticed how guitar obsessed hes been this decade.

SST Funky little single, good singing, Funky New Orleans has greast impro Jazz

Musicology doing it now, less guitar, Cinnamon girl still catchy, love this album and still will forever, after all it got me back into Prince. (Next Rainbow Children then Rave, well wish me luck)
So what are u going 2 do? R u just gonna sit there and watch? I'm not gonna stop until the war is over. Its gonna take a long time
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/05/09 4:27am

Mindflux

avatar

Salt and Banana cologne - hahaha....that's a winner of a mis-heard lyric!
...we have only scratched the surface of what the mind can do...

My dance project;
www.zubzub.co.uk

Listen to any of my tracks in full, for free, here;
www.zubzub.bandcamp.com

Go and glisten wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/05/09 5:24am

tomds

if you include the SST single, you have to include the b-sides from musicology (united states of division, glasscutter, silver tongue) and the funky track called F.U.N.K.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/05/09 6:12am

squirrelgrease

avatar

OK, I started doing this... but it's fuckin' up my stylus. Where can I get a turntable that plays in reverse?
If prince.org were to be made idiot proof, someone would just invent a better idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 05/05/09 7:01am

Mindflux

avatar

squirrelgrease said:

OK, I started doing this... but it's fuckin' up my stylus. Where can I get a turntable that plays in reverse?


Hehe - it was the first thought I had when I saw the thread title.

Having said that, I did listen to Boom in reverse only the other day, to try and decipher the backwards vocals. If only the results had been as interesting as the anticipation! By that I mean that the backwards messages don't really add any insight or say anything of any real substance. They are also buried so far down in the mix, that it is difficult to discern exactly what he is singing, but its along the lines of something in the mind of Solomon, dancing in the sun and, the clearest line that is sung say "Every time it comes I go" followed my a missy elliot style holler.

As I say, doesn't really add much to the track itself.
...we have only scratched the surface of what the mind can do...

My dance project;
www.zubzub.co.uk

Listen to any of my tracks in full, for free, here;
www.zubzub.bandcamp.com

Go and glisten wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 05/05/09 7:32am

Dayclear

Who's got time to do this? eek
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 05/05/09 8:26am

Close2u

Dayclear said:

Who's got time to do this? eek



yeahthat
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 05/05/09 10:05am

ernestsewell

squirrelgrease said:

OK, I started doing this... but it's fuckin' up my stylus. Where can I get a turntable that plays in reverse?


Adobe Audition. Reverse your MP3s.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 05/05/09 10:28pm

Huggiebear

avatar

I meant listen to them in the order they were made, and some one else said Bsides, well I said the albums and singles I have which includes FUNK. Remember I live in New Zealand which is not exactly a hotbed of Prince fandom, so album choices are very limited. As for time, they make great background noise.

God some of you guys need to get a grip, are you all really so pedantic and Sarcastic (All except ernestsewell, whose reply was quite sensible)
So what are u going 2 do? R u just gonna sit there and watch? I'm not gonna stop until the war is over. Its gonna take a long time
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 05/05/09 10:36pm

PEJ

avatar

Mindflux said:

Salt and Banana cologne - hahaha....that's a winner of a mis-heard lyric!




bananacologne was once a mod here biggrin
To Sir, with Love
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 05/05/09 11:20pm

GNS

Let's not and say we did.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 05/06/09 4:47am

Huggiebear

avatar

PEJ said:

Mindflux said:

Salt and Banana cologne - hahaha....that's a winner of a mis-heard lyric!




bananacologne was once a mod here biggrin



Well what is the lyric then
So what are u going 2 do? R u just gonna sit there and watch? I'm not gonna stop until the war is over. Its gonna take a long time
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 05/06/09 10:38am

Mindflux

avatar

Huggiebear said:

PEJ said:





bananacologne was once a mod here biggrin



Well what is the lyric then


"Soaked in banana cologne, no wonder you're all alone"

Mind you, I do have to wonder exactly what Salt & Banana cologne would actually smell like!!!


wink
[Edited 5/6/09 10:40am]
...we have only scratched the surface of what the mind can do...

My dance project;
www.zubzub.co.uk

Listen to any of my tracks in full, for free, here;
www.zubzub.bandcamp.com

Go and glisten wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 05/06/09 10:43am

purplecam

avatar

Huggiebear said:

Just as an idea I decided to start listening to all the albums I have by Prince starting with Lotus then MPLS sound and going back right2 For You. Currently I am going Musicology, just to see how his sound changes as I go back. May be u should 2. I am also making notes on them as I go back and will keep it updated.

Lotusflow3r - Still sounds quite good after several listens, Musical numbers are better sounding, still love Crimson and Clover, Dreamer and $ and Colonized mind probably his best song for the millenium.

MPLSound - Still funky as hell, like the whole album, ballads improve with a few listens, very catchy jams, definetley sounds more retro than lotus

Indigo Nights - Still hard to stomach, very average but long winded and too many slow bits, some good singing by Shelby J though.

Planet Earth - Sounds better than ever, nearly as good as lotus. Lion of Judah and Planet Earth strong rock, lots of guitar and Guitar good fun

3121 - Still outstanding, great funky numbers like Black Sweat, dreamy ballads like TAC and superior jams like Get on the Boat and 3121. Lots of guitar here too, has anyone noticed how guitar obsessed hes been this decade.

SST Funky little single, good singing, Funky New Orleans has greast impro Jazz

Musicology doing it now, less guitar, Cinnamon girl still catchy, love this album and still will forever, after all it got me back into Prince. (Next Rainbow Children then Rave, well wish me luck)

Good luck Huggiebear! I did the same you did last year but starting with For You-Planet Earth and it was a blast. Seems like you're having a good time and that's wonderful! woot! clapping
I'm not a fan of "old Prince". I'm not a fan of "new Prince". I'm just a fan of Prince. Simple as that
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 05/06/09 7:48pm

Huggiebear

avatar

Mindflux said:

Huggiebear said:




Well what is the lyric then


"Soaked in banana cologne, no wonder you're all alone"

Mind you, I do have to wonder exactly what Salt & Banana cologne would actually smell like!!!


NASTY!!!!!

wink
[Edited 5/6/09 10:40am]
So what are u going 2 do? R u just gonna sit there and watch? I'm not gonna stop until the war is over. Its gonna take a long time
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Lets listen to all the albums backwards.