independent and unofficial
Prince fan community
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Opinion of a Long time follower
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 03/29/09 6:45pm

Ronny

Opinion of a Long time follower

Since I am an authority on Prince and the Prince related I thought I'd weigh in on my opinions of the new albums.

If I'm going to be honest, I have to agree with those that say you could consolidate these two discs into one very excellent and solid album. I ask myself too often, 'why did he bother' or 'what was the purpose' of some of the tracks. Some just feel unnecessary....however, the good ones make up for those by how great they are..namely: colonized mind, dreamer, boom, wall of berlin (mainly for the playing on it), and $. Also superb are his new take on 'u're gonna c me, dance 4 me, no more candy (for the raw/retro feel - something new for him), crimson and clover, and 4ever. I immediately was impressed with $. It just has that 'thing' that only Prince can do. Dreamer definitely has that Jimi vibe but I love it...I would like him to do a whole album full of songs like this.

The Morning After and Love like Jazz are interesting...I know I'll like them eventually more than I do now. However, Chocolate Box, There Will Never B, Here, Better with Time all sound like stuff he did not have to put much effort into and so they make no sense (to me) why he'd put them on an album when cuts like 'large room, no light' continue to gather dust. An artist of his calibre releasing this kind of stuff when he is capable of so much more is frustrating (especially if you're heard the good stuff:)

Overall - love the stuff that is great...won't try too hard to like the other stuff.
tx
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 03/29/09 6:47pm

Dewrede

avatar

Here and particularly Better With Time are great !
[Edited 3/29/09 18:48pm]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 03/29/09 6:54pm

jayARDAHB

Ronny said:

Since I am an authority on Prince and the Prince related I thought I'd weigh in on my opinions of the new albums.

If I'm going to be honest, I have to agree with those that say you could consolidate these two discs into one very excellent and solid album. I ask myself too often, 'why did he bother' or 'what was the purpose' of some of the tracks. Some just feel unnecessary....however, the good ones make up for those by how great they are..namely: colonized mind, dreamer, boom, wall of berlin (mainly for the playing on it), and $. Also superb are his new take on 'u're gonna c me, dance 4 me, no more candy (for the raw/retro feel - something new for him), crimson and clover, and 4ever. I immediately was impressed with $. It just has that 'thing' that only Prince can do. Dreamer definitely has that Jimi vibe but I love it...I would like him to do a whole album full of songs like this.

The Morning After and Love like Jazz are interesting...I know I'll like them eventually more than I do now. However, Chocolate Box, There Will Never B, Here, Better with Time all sound like stuff he did not have to put much effort into and so they make no sense (to me) why he'd put them on an album when cuts like 'large room, no light' continue to gather dust. An artist of his calibre releasing this kind of stuff when he is capable of so much more is frustrating (especially if you're heard the good stuff:)

Overall - love the stuff that is great...won't try too hard to like the other stuff.
tx



You're an idiot.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 03/29/09 8:39pm

mzsadii

avatar

Even though I don't totally agree with what you said; thankj you for not making it yet another personal attack. Well delvered.
Prince's Sarah
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 03/29/09 8:46pm

mzkqueen03

avatar

..LOTUSFLOW3R collection has a lot of INSIDE stuff on it...i totally get every single track in the collection..i hear the messages and i appreciate the special effort prince has put in the collection..it really is worth all it's weight in solid gold..
...mzsexybaby sexy
..She's Just A Baby..but she's my lady..my loveR..my only friend!..true love that will last!..PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND..WHAT SHE SEES IN AN OLDER MAN..they never stop 2 think that maybe i'm what she's looking 4..THEY NEVER TAKE THE TIME..2 look in her mind
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 03/29/09 10:20pm

eaglebear4839

I can't see the point of consolidating this time around - the two sounds are so distinctly different from each other...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 03/30/09 11:24am

Ronny

Overall - love the stuff that is great...won't try too hard to like the other stuff.
tx[/quote]


You're an idiot.[/quote]



You are a damn, number one, bloody bastard,idiot #1.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 03/30/09 11:25am

Ronny

..and you are a Haramjada.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 03/30/09 11:30am

purplecam

avatar

mzsadii said:

Even though I don't totally agree with what you said; thankj you for not making it yet another personal attack. Well delvered.

I 2nd that completely.
I'm not a fan of "old Prince". I'm not a fan of "new Prince". I'm just a fan of Prince. Simple as that
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 03/30/09 11:32am

purplecam

avatar

eaglebear4839 said:

I can't see the point of consolidating this time around - the two sounds are so distinctly different from each other...

I feel the same way. The style of songs from both CD's are so different, it would just sound like some of Prince's past albums, a collection of songs with no cohesion to it. IMO, Prince did the right thing to have it broken off into 2 different CD's and I'm the happiest that he did it this way.
I'm not a fan of "old Prince". I'm not a fan of "new Prince". I'm just a fan of Prince. Simple as that
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 03/31/09 10:42pm

MissDeeDeeDee

avatar

purplecam said:

eaglebear4839 said:

I can't see the point of consolidating this time around - the two sounds are so distinctly different from each other...

I feel the same way. The style of songs from both CD's are so different, it would just sound like some of Prince's past albums, a collection of songs with no cohesion to it. IMO, Prince did the right thing to have it broken off into 2 different CD's and I'm the happiest that he did it this way.

Ur 2 sexy when u speak the truth!!! I have been down with P 4 25+yrs. and what know is some songs off a new album will get u right away but as time goes on he pulls up 2 that level 1 by 1 the songs start 2 open up a whole other groove that blows your mind and makes u fall in love with the Prince all over again Baby ...CREAM SHA BOOGIE BOP!!!!! biggrin
MissDeeDeeDee
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Opinion of a Long time follower