independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 21st Jul 2019 11:10pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "New World" what does Prince mean by this?
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 01/11/09 7:18pm

pplrain

avatar

"New World" what does Prince mean by this?

I've heard him use this term in many of his songs, what exactly does HE mean by this?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 01/11/09 7:23pm

Imago

I think he's talking about Brooklyn
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 01/11/09 7:25pm

JayJai

avatar

pplrain said:

I've heard him use this term in many of his songs, what exactly does HE mean by this?


It's either he's talkin bout the New World Order conspiracy or with relation to his JW belief about the earth being renewed and the like. It'll depend on which context he uses it in, I guess. Let's just hope it's the latter smile
I swear the words "HATER" is wayyy over-rated...smh
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 01/11/09 8:15pm

Genesia

avatar

I think he had probably read "Brave New World" by Aldous Huxley and was giving his take on it.
We don’t mourn artists because we knew them. We mourn them because they helped us know ourselves.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 01/11/09 9:57pm

GiGi319

I think he means the world we will live in after the 2nd coming.
love the one who is Love!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 01/11/09 10:59pm

toejam

avatar

It's most likely a religious reference - the Bible that is recommended by Jehovah's Witnesses is the New World Translation edition - the 'New World' refering to the 'paradise Earth' that will be inherited by believers.
[Edited 1/11/09 23:03pm]
Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 01/12/09 2:20am

novabrkr

He wasn't a JW when he recorded "Emancipation". The song "New World" might contain some abstract references to religion - this being Prince - but the song is more sci-fi -themed in its "post-apocalyptic" depiction (see also the brief liner notes in the booklet) than attempting to convery a religious view. "When the lines blur / every boy and girl / how you gonna make it in the brave new world?", "when the melting pot stirs / when you can't tell him from her?". It sequences into "The Human Body". Prince wrote "The Human Body" by being inspired by the thought of it being the "ultimate sequencer" (sequencers being what are used to trigger synthesizers in most forms of electronic dance music - however, Prince hadn't been using them too much himself),

These two cuts are thematically sort of linked too. So I think it's mainly just Prince's celebration of technology in overall, by enabling people to become somehow "freer". This was a common theme in the dance music of the 90s ("New World" however harking back also to his 80s sound, but as far as I can tell it was one of the first songs of his 90s output where he was using the new analog modeling synthesizers - the analog style synths had been mostly absent from his music since the late-80s).

... but I'm venturing into talking about synths here again, however the original song's definitely not one about his later beliefs. Mind you, this was also during the height of his androgynous, pan-sexual world-view when he didn't even identify himself as just a "man", and was rather public about it too in interviews.
[Edited 1/12/09 2:27am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 01/12/09 2:46am

toejam

avatar

^Total speculation on my part, but I think a small part of the reason why he became a JW was because he'd just written a song called "New World" and I suspect he took it as a 'sign' when he started becoming interested in the religion. Again, total speculation, but I think it makes sense.
Toejam @ Peach & Black Podcast: http://peachandblack.podbean.com
Toejam's band "Cheap Fakes": http://cheapfakes.com.au, http://www.facebook.com/cheapfakes
Toejam the solo artist: http://www.youtube.com/scottbignell
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 01/12/09 3:02am

TheEnglishGent

avatar

pplrain said:

I've heard him use this term in many of his songs, what exactly does HE mean by this?

In his recent songs, he's definitely referring to the new world as believed to be coming by the JW's. They don't believe that they will die and go to heaven but they will be resurrected to eternal life in paradise on earth. This new world will begin after the second coming of Jesus. Apparently. biggrin
RIP sad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 01/12/09 3:13am

novabrkr

toejam said:

^Total speculation on my part, but I think a small part of the reason why he became a JW was because he'd just written a song called "New World" and I suspect he took it as a 'sign' when he started becoming interested in the religion. Again, total speculation, but I think it makes sense.


Yeah, that's not a bad hypothesis actually. Prince was going through all kinds of "huge personal changes" in the 90s and it was as if each album release date on each subsequent year was a prophetic event or something. He definitely did employ a lot of retroactive symbolic rereading to a lot of his old concepts and recycled them into his new thinking later on (a lot of these concepts appear already on "Lovesexy"). That's how "artistic people" become usually so fixated on their own concepts, as each new phase offers a convenient, new re-reading for the old (even if some of the obvious contradictions would still remain in the "old text", but hey, Prince was always rather good at over-looking such things).
[Edited 1/12/09 3:14am]
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 01/12/09 1:41pm

wildgoldenhone
y

avatar

^Interesting.
In his latest songs,
the New World is the earthly Paradise.
flower

'M€€t m€ iπ ∆π°th€r W°®£d, $p∆©€, π J°y!' - FutureLover heart FutureQueen

Attn:
HI PRIVATE EYE
- plz contact L.k.g - thx


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 01/12/09 1:43pm

RunAmok

iz there earthly paradise?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 01/12/09 1:59pm

wildgoldenhone
y

avatar

RunAmok said:

iz there earthly paradise?

Oops, sorry,
I meant the future earthly Paradise.
smile

'M€€t m€ iπ ∆π°th€r W°®£d, $p∆©€, π J°y!' - FutureLover heart FutureQueen

Attn:
HI PRIVATE EYE
- plz contact L.k.g - thx


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 01/12/09 2:21pm

angel345

JayJai said:

pplrain said:

I've heard him use this term in many of his songs, what exactly does HE mean by this?


It's either he's talkin bout the New World Order conspiracy or with relation to his JW belief about the earth being renewed and the like. It'll depend on which context he uses it in, I guess. Let's just hope it's the latter smile

I was thinking about the same: Possibly New World Order or the second coming of Christ.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 01/12/09 2:24pm

RunAmok

wildgoldenhoney said:

RunAmok said:

iz there earthly paradise?

Oops, sorry,
I meant the future earthly Paradise.
smile


thx jizz checking smile
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 01/12/09 2:29pm

wildgoldenhone
y

avatar

RunAmok said:

wildgoldenhoney said:


Oops, sorry,
I meant the future earthly Paradise.
smile


thx jizz checking smile

But you're welcome to move to Fiji or something.
biggrin


'M€€t m€ iπ ∆π°th€r W°®£d, $p∆©€, π J°y!' - FutureLover heart FutureQueen

Attn:
HI PRIVATE EYE
- plz contact L.k.g - thx


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 01/12/09 2:31pm

NDRU

avatar

novabrkr said:

He wasn't a JW when he recorded "Emancipation". The song "New World" might contain some abstract references to religion - this being Prince - but the song is more sci-fi -themed in its "post-apocalyptic" depiction (see also the brief liner notes in the booklet) than attempting to convery a religious view. "When the lines blur / every boy and girl / how you gonna make it in the brave new world?", "when the melting pot stirs / when you can't tell him from her?". It sequences into "The Human Body". Prince wrote "The Human Body" by being inspired by the thought of it being the "ultimate sequencer" (sequencers being what are used to trigger synthesizers in most forms of electronic dance music - however, Prince hadn't been using them too much himself),

These two cuts are thematically sort of linked too. So I think it's mainly just Prince's celebration of technology in overall, by enabling people to become somehow "freer". This was a common theme in the dance music of the 90s ("New World" however harking back also to his 80s sound, but as far as I can tell it was one of the first songs of his 90s output where he was using the new analog modeling synthesizers - the analog style synths had been mostly absent from his music since the late-80s).

... but I'm venturing into talking about synths here again, however the original song's definitely not one about his later beliefs. Mind you, this was also during the height of his androgynous, pan-sexual world-view when he didn't even identify himself as just a "man", and was rather public about it too in interviews.
[Edited 1/12/09 2:27am]


I agree with your take, especially the first paragraph. The lyrics point more to the way we've gotten away from nature in this "brave new world" and how are we gonna make it?

A pill that feels like sex, a pill that will stop the wrinkles, a pill to cause abortions...what's all for?

I think he says the world is filled with big promises, but when you can alter biology, then who will you & I be? (Excuse me, I mean U & I!)

Prince's futuristic style & use of synths says to me that he is not afraid of the future, or reluctant to embrace the new, but that with the good comes the bad, and the 20th century gave humans issues that they had never seen before.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 01/12/09 2:36pm

RunAmok

wildgoldenhoney said:

RunAmok said:



thx jizz checking smile

But you're welcome to move to Fiji or something.
biggrin



y, is that where u r?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 01/12/09 2:41pm

wildgoldenhone
y

avatar

RunAmok said:

wildgoldenhoney said:


But you're welcome to move to Fiji or something.
biggrin



y, is that where u r?

I think I've heard that Fiji is like a paradise.
rainbow

'M€€t m€ iπ ∆π°th€r W°®£d, $p∆©€, π J°y!' - FutureLover heart FutureQueen

Attn:
HI PRIVATE EYE
- plz contact L.k.g - thx


  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 01/12/09 3:09pm

RunAmok

wildgoldenhoney said:

RunAmok said:



y, is that where u r?

I think I've heard that Fiji is like a paradise.
rainbow


ah, got it - thx again wink
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 01/12/09 5:10pm

Tame

avatar

I do believe that the "Holy Spirit," has control of everybody...I believe the New World will be an understanding of this revelation to some. Love will eventually dominate what isn't of love. We as a race are in this transition and aggravation is getting 2 the forces that will be suppressed. In the new world people will become more aware of our unity and as a race we will conquer all of the things that are threatening our existence. That is high technology in all fields of science and medicine. The Planet will completely Heal.
"The Lion Sleeps Tonight...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 01/12/09 5:14pm

Dayclear

But didn't he sing a song on emancipation called How we connamakeit in this brand new world? I don't think that had much to do with religion, it's just the future.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 01/14/09 8:57am

funkydiva

avatar

New World Records
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 01/14/09 10:35am

Desertflower

avatar

GiGi319 said:

I think he means the world we will live in after the 2nd coming.

That,s what I,m thinking too.
See you in me in the mirrow a 1000 lightyears from here.
See you in the purple rain.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 01/14/09 11:07am

pplrain

avatar

GiGi319 said:

I think he means the world we will live in after the 2nd coming.

So what exactly is the second coming? The second time that Jesus comes to earth? which begs the other question, when exactly? and will this be on earth? or is it "paradise" after death?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 01/14/09 11:12am

kimrachell

wildgoldenhoney said:

RunAmok said:



thx jizz checking smile

But you're welcome to move to Fiji or something.
biggrin



my best friend is from fiji, it looks like a paradise, but has many political problems, that's why they had to flee the country. i think it's only a paradise for those that go as tourist. confused
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 01/14/09 2:34pm

JayJai

avatar

pplrain said:

GiGi319 said:

I think he means the world we will live in after the 2nd coming.

So what exactly is the second coming? The second time that Jesus comes to earth? which begs the other question, when exactly? and will this be on earth? or is it "paradise" after death?


start this in P & R...u'll get alot of answers. Some u may like, some u may not, it might even turn into an argument, but u'll eventually get the right answer wink
I swear the words "HATER" is wayyy over-rated...smh
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > "New World" what does Prince mean by this?