independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sun 21st Jul 2019 7:16pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Does anyone know the truth about P & WB
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 07/03/07 3:06pm

prime

avatar

Does anyone know the truth about P & WB

On 3121 I read that Prince ownes is publishing (for all his music). What is the differance between the publishing and masters ... or I should ask... What is it for Prince? What power does he have? Does this mean when WB lends his music out (Lil' Wayne Diamonds and Girls eek ) and he gets paid or does he have some say in what goes where?

I read a long time ago that starting in 1999 he gets 1 master back per year starting with "FOR YOU".
Prime aka The Kid

"I need u to dance, I need u to strip
I need u to shake Ur lil' ass n hips
I need u to grind like Ur working for tips
And give me what I need while we listen to PRINCE"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 07/03/07 3:22pm

Anxiety

starting in 1999? hmmm, we'll have to wait for borisfishpaw on this one, but that doesn't sound right.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 07/03/07 3:44pm

KoolEaze

avatar

prime said:

On 3121 I read that Prince ownes is publishing (for all his music). What is the differance between the publishing and masters ... or I should ask... What is it for Prince? What power does he have? Does this mean when WB lends his music out (Lil' Wayne Diamonds and Girls eek ) and he gets paid or does he have some say in what goes where?

I read a long time ago that starting in 1999 he gets 1 master back per year starting with "FOR YOU".



If that were true, he´d own the masters to all the albums up until SOTT or even Lovesexy. Then again, I vaguely recall reading something along those lines around the time he started using his name again.
" I´d rather be a stank ass hoe because I´m not stupid. Oh my goodness! I got more drugs! I´m always funny dude...I´m hilarious! Are we gonna smoke?"




http://kooleasehvac.com/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 07/03/07 3:46pm

Se7en

avatar

He starts getting legal ownership of his masters in 2013 ... which is 35 years after For You came out. Then he gets 1 back a year in the order they came out.

I say legal ownership because he most surely has physical ownership. He just can't do anything with them legally. He can't reissue them on his own in their current configuration, which is why he was going to rerecord all of his albums.

Prince still gets royalties, and he also has a say in how his songs are used. How much he gets (vs. how much WB gets) I don't know.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 07/03/07 3:49pm

sunlite

Prince owns all the music he releases today. I believe that @ the end of 1999 Prince regained control of his name and Publishing. As far as his WB catalogue, he will get an album back a year, starting in 2013 with For You.
Release Yourself
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 07/03/07 5:01pm

datdude

this is some str8 bulls$*%. 2013?!? i HATE the industry. they're on some corporate plantation sh#*. F*#$ em all! no wonder he's playing the game on his terms now. i hope his antics with PE kills this industry whore cow all the quicker.

what album did he stop with WB? was it Emancipation? if so, not counting the Hits/B-sides releases that'll be 19 albums and he'll be about 67 when he's REALLY free.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 07/03/07 5:07pm

prime

avatar

2013 ... first I have heard that ... WOW

I wonder what was going on at the time he signed this becaus ehe signed the contract...did he need money (no -he was #5 on the money list wit $49 million in 1992) ... so what the heck...

I am surprised he hasn't been able to get enough $$$ to buy them back.
Prime aka The Kid

"I need u to dance, I need u to strip
I need u to shake Ur lil' ass n hips
I need u to grind like Ur working for tips
And give me what I need while we listen to PRINCE"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 07/03/07 5:38pm

thedoorkeeper

prime said:

I am surprised he hasn't been able to get enough $$$ to buy them back.


Who says they are for sale?

Plus he might not feel too positive
about paying for music he created.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 07/03/07 10:34pm

Raze

avatar

Publishing refers to the songwriting. His publishing deal expired in 1999. His publishing is now handled through Universal.

The master is the physical recording of the song in the mix that appeared on a release.
"Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you." - Kahlil Gibran
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/04/07 1:01am

FlamingRaindro
p

datdude said:

this is some str8 bulls$*%. 2013?!? i HATE the industry. they're on some corporate plantation sh#*. F*#$ em all! no wonder he's playing the game on his terms now. i hope his antics with PE kills this industry whore cow all the quicker.

what album did he stop with WB? was it Emancipation? if so, not counting the Hits/B-sides releases that'll be 19 albums and he'll be about 67 when he's REALLY free.

rolleyes ignorant... disbelief
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/04/07 5:36am

Se7en

avatar

FlamingRaindrop said:

datdude said:

this is some str8 bulls$*%. 2013?!? i HATE the industry. they're on some corporate plantation sh#*. F*#$ em all! no wonder he's playing the game on his terms now. i hope his antics with PE kills this industry whore cow all the quicker.

what album did he stop with WB? was it Emancipation? if so, not counting the Hits/B-sides releases that'll be 19 albums and he'll be about 67 when he's REALLY free.

rolleyes ignorant... disbelief


Prince's last few original albums for WB were Come, The Gold Experience, Chaos & Disorder and The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale.

Emancipation was his first full-length album of new material (3-disc album BTW) that was free from WB involvement.

There were also 2 greatest hits packages released "recently" (The Very Best Of Prince and Ultimate), which fulfill that part of WB's contract with Prince.

The 2 sides have been playing nice lately. Examples: Prince has a song on the WB soundtrack for Happy Feet, and WB worked with Prince on the Ultimate song selections (for cursing and content that conflict with P's beliefs now).
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/04/07 5:47am

datdude

thanks Seven for the clarity. i stopped counting at Emancipation, so if my math is correct, he'd own everything up to that point when he's 67.

given this highly public past history, with the one album deals he's done with Arista (Rave) and Columbia (PE) and 3121 (?), i trust he'll own those masters too.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 07/04/07 12:13pm

Raze

avatar

Se7en said:

FlamingRaindrop said:


rolleyes ignorant... disbelief


Prince's last few original albums for WB were Come, The Gold Experience, Chaos & Disorder and The Vault: Old Friends 4 Sale.

Emancipation was his first full-length album of new material (3-disc album BTW) that was free from WB involvement.

There were also 2 greatest hits packages released "recently" (The Very Best Of Prince and Ultimate), which fulfill that part of WB's contract with Prince.

The 2 sides have been playing nice lately. Examples: Prince has a song on the WB soundtrack for Happy Feet, and WB worked with Prince on the Ultimate song selections (for cursing and content that conflict with P's beliefs now).



side note: The Gold Experience has weird ownership issues. I think it's the one that they *jointly* own. Which explains why it's out of print.
"Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you." - Kahlil Gibran
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 07/04/07 12:51pm

blacksweat

avatar

Kiss written by Prince (publishing)

Kiss recorded by Prince/Tom Jones/Dollar/Kevin Taylor/Westlife (master recordings)

Using the above as an example...Prince owns the publishing of Kiss and receives money every time it's released/performed regardless of who recorded it; however he doesn't own his recording (master) of Kiss.
I'm hot and I don't care who knows it...I got a job to do. cooked
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 07/04/07 4:38pm

prime

avatar

blacksweat said:

Kiss written by Prince (publishing)

Kiss recorded by Prince/Tom Jones/Dollar/Kevin Taylor/Westlife (master recordings)

Using the above as an example...Prince owns the publishing of Kiss and receives money every time it's released/performed regardless of who recorded it; however he doesn't own his recording (master) of Kiss.


Performed??? I don't believe he gets paid for someone performing it LIVE... Prince (or anyone else) only gets paid if the person is making money off of it.
Prime aka The Kid

"I need u to dance, I need u to strip
I need u to shake Ur lil' ass n hips
I need u to grind like Ur working for tips
And give me what I need while we listen to PRINCE"
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 07/04/07 5:03pm

Raze

avatar

prime said:

blacksweat said:

Kiss written by Prince (publishing)

Kiss recorded by Prince/Tom Jones/Dollar/Kevin Taylor/Westlife (master recordings)

Using the above as an example...Prince owns the publishing of Kiss and receives money every time it's released/performed regardless of who recorded it; however he doesn't own his recording (master) of Kiss.


Performed??? I don't believe he gets paid for someone performing it LIVE... Prince (or anyone else) only gets paid if the person is making money off of it.



if it's performed live in front of a paying audience, he gets paid for it. theoretically. a big act performing in front a large crowd? he definitely gets paid. some local band in a bar? i doubt it.
"Half of what I say is meaningless; but I say it so that the other half may reach you." - Kahlil Gibran
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 07/04/07 5:12pm

planetChar

avatar

prime said:

blacksweat said:

Kiss written by Prince (publishing)

Kiss recorded by Prince/Tom Jones/Dollar/Kevin Taylor/Westlife (master recordings)

Using the above as an example...Prince owns the publishing of Kiss and receives money every time it's released/performed regardless of who recorded it; however he doesn't own his recording (master) of Kiss.


Performed??? I don't believe he gets paid for someone performing it LIVE... Prince (or anyone else) only gets paid if the person is making money off of it.



In most countries, venues which have live music also must pay fees to organizations like ASCAP. When they have live acts, they are required to list the songs the performer played. This list then gets sent to local agencies that protect song writers/pay royalties. If any song titles/composers match those that have been registered, the songwriter does get a very small amount of money from that performance of his song. All this to say, that it's possible for Prince to also get paid when others perform his music live. And especially if it's being broadcast on television/radio.
we're like two petals from the same flower, baby...
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 07/05/07 1:44am

blacksweat

avatar

Prince receives performance income in the UK and other countries every time a song he has written is played. Whether that be on TV/Radio/Concert/Football Pitch/Ice Cream Van/Local School/DVD etc....he earns a great deal every year just on the back of Nothing Compares 2 U and Manic Monday.

Paul McCartney brings in £500,000 a year just on performance income from 'Yesterday'.
I'm hot and I don't care who knows it...I got a job to do. cooked
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > Does anyone know the truth about P & WB