independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Sat 17th Aug 2019 3:37pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Prince: Music and More > PRINCE' S NEW BAND NO GOOD!
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 02/21/06 9:44am

dbosch7

PRINCE' S NEW BAND NO GOOD!

I hear so much positive stuff about 3121 and the SNL and Brit-awards performances, but am I the only one disappointed? I already miss the beats from John blackwell, where did he go??? Also Renato was far superior to mr. Hayes and no Candy? Of course Prince kicked ass on the live performances, but seems like his band has no real talented players just some mediocre background band!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 02/21/06 9:50am

PurpleRein

First

Give it time.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 02/21/06 9:54am

Anx

yeah, i don't know WHO those hacks were on the brits...some chicks named wendell and lisia were playing with him, and then there was some lady with big no-nos playing percussion. puhleeze! rolleyes
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 02/21/06 10:18am

siriusfunk

What? You can't be serious. Please tell me you are a newbie to Prince? Wendy, Lisa and Sheila? I personally have been waiting for this type of reunion for years! This is an obsurd posting. Is this Pepe Willie posting this? Are you still upset about Prince leaving your band in the 70's? Come on man! That was a long time ago. Wendy, Lisa and Prince did sounded so much better together than you. Don't be so bitter! neutral
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 02/21/06 10:22am

Anx

siriusfunk said:

What? You can't be serious. Please tell me you are a newbie to Prince? Wendy, Lisa and Sheila? I personally have been waiting for this type of reunion for years! This is an obsurd posting. Is this Pepe Willie posting this? Are you still upset about Prince leaving your band in the 70's? Come on man! That was a long time ago. Wendy, Lisa and Prince did sounded so much better together than you. Don't be so bitter! neutral



lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 02/21/06 10:23am

Handclapsfinga
snapz

Anx said:

yeah, i don't know WHO those hacks were on the brits...some chicks named wendell and lisia were playing with him, and then there was some lady with big no-nos playing percussion. puhleeze! rolleyes

big no-nos falloff wait, what's her name...sheena p. or something?
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 02/21/06 10:25am

siriusfunk

Ok, this isn't Pepe, I know it's Dick Cheney? You are just upset because your administration is doing such a horrible job. 1st you lied to us about WMDs, then you dropped the ball on Hamas? You still haven't caught Osama, you screwed the pooch on Katrina, you've declared war on our civil liberties, you just realized that instead of declaring war on Iraq you should have invited Sadam on a hunting trip instead of your good friend and you also just sold 6 of our biggest sea ports to the United Arab Emirates (where much of the money for the september 11 attacks came from?) Now you are trying to divert our attention away from your horrible decisions by knocking Wendy, Lisa and Sheila? Come on man? Go back to what you do best, depleting our earth of it's natural resources, lying to the public and leave picking band members to Prince.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 02/21/06 10:28am

Handclapsfinga
snapz

siriusfunk said:

Ok, this isn't Pepe, I know it's Dick Cheney? You are just upset because your administration is doing such a horrible job. 1st you lied to us about WMDs, then you dropped the ball on Hamas? You still haven't caught Osama, you screwed the pooch on Katrina, you've declared war on our civil liberties, you just realized that instead of declaring war on Iraq you should have invited Sadam on a hunting trip instead of your good friend and you also just sold 6 of our biggest sea ports to the United Arab Emirates (where much of the money for the september 11 attacks came from?) Now you are trying to divert our attention away from your horrible decisions by knocking Wendy, Lisa and Sheila? Come on man? Go back to what you do best, depleting our earth of it's natural resources, lying to the public and leave picking band members to Prince.

ooh! ooh! sirius, you forgot the fact that he shot some ol' guy in the face, that too...mr.green

but yeah, in all seriousness, save yer kvetching for AFTER the album/tour has passed. it ain't even march yet.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 02/21/06 10:31am

dewalliz

I personally don't care who's plays with Prince for this tour. When I am going to see 3121 tour this summer or whatever, I am going to pay to see Prince. Without Prince, yall aint gonna see me there. biggrin
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 02/21/06 10:37am

dbosch7

siriusfunk said:

What? You can't be serious. Please tell me you are a newbie to Prince? Wendy, Lisa and Sheila? I personally have been waiting for this type of reunion for years! This is an obsurd posting. Is this Pepe Willie posting this? Are you still upset about Prince leaving your band in the 70's? Come on man! That was a long time ago. Wendy, Lisa and Prince did sounded so much better together than you. Don't be so bitter! neutral




Prince's band during ONA and Musicology tour was very funky! I don't feel Wendy and Lisa added anything to the Brit Awards performance and thought the band was kinda lame, not nearly as tight as last couple uf years
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 02/21/06 10:41am

metalorange

avatar

I prefer Mr Hayes' funky playing to Renato's clinical jazz playing on keyboards. I prefer John Blackwell to Cora although I haven't really heard much of her yet to make a fully informed opinion. Same with Josh the bass player, although I must admit I got a bit fed up with the way Rhonda did that bass feedback thing all the time. Prince's horn section of Maceo, Candy and Boyer were great, but I think it would be a nice change to hear the songs without a horn section this time around.

So for me, it's a mixed blessing I think....
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 02/21/06 10:44am

Anx

i really hope he lays off the horns this time around. i don't mind them in general, but it got a little much after a while.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #12 posted 02/21/06 10:44am

Doozer

avatar

dbosch7 said:


Prince's band during ONA and Musicology tour was very funky! I don't feel Wendy and Lisa added anything to the Brit Awards performance and thought the band was kinda lame, not nearly as tight as last couple uf years


The band is essentially new, and he had guest musicians at the Brits on top of all that. What you saw during the ONA and Musicology tour was a band that had been together for 4-5 years. Give them, oh, more than two television appearances to develop an identity.
Check out The Mountains and the Sea, a Prince podcast by yours truly and my wife. More info at https://www.facebook.com/TMATSPodcast/
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #13 posted 02/21/06 10:50am

superspaceboy

avatar

Handclapsfingasnapz said:

Anx said:

yeah, i don't know WHO those hacks were on the brits...some chicks named wendell and lisia were playing with him, and then there was some lady with big no-nos playing percussion. puhleeze! rolleyes

big no-nos falloff wait, what's her name...sheena p. or something?



SHEENA?

Christian Zombie Vampires

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #14 posted 02/21/06 10:51am

PurpleCharm

dewalliz said:

I personally don't care who's plays with Prince for this tour. When I am going to see 3121 tour this summer or whatever, I am going to pay to see Prince. Without Prince, yall aint gonna see me there. biggrin


ditto
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #15 posted 02/21/06 10:58am

Handclapsfinga
snapz

superspaceboy said:

Handclapsfingasnapz said:


big no-nos falloff wait, what's her name...sheena p. or something?



SHEENA?

it's a wonder she played percussion at all though, since she's an amazon. nod
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #16 posted 02/21/06 11:31am

SpecialEd

avatar

Prince has never had a weak band. Every single one served a purpose and fit the era. This one will as well. Basically you are just critiquing the Dunhams right now.
Glug, glug like a mug
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #17 posted 02/21/06 11:57am

andyman91

avatar

This is great, Wendy & Lisa are back and people are asking where Kirky J & Larry are, and what happened to the horns in Let's Go Crazy!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #18 posted 02/21/06 12:06pm

minneapolisgen
ius

avatar

metalorange said:

Prince's horn section of Maceo, Candy and Boyer were great, but I think it would be a nice change to hear the songs without a horn section this time around.

Yes!

pray
"I saw a woman with major Hammer pants on the subway a few weeks ago and totally thought of you." - sextonseven
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #19 posted 02/22/06 6:49am

Anx

what i don't understand is why he won't bring tony m. back. mad
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #20 posted 02/22/06 7:08am

minneapolisgen
ius

avatar

Anx said:

what i don't understand is why he won't bring tony m. back. mad

blowup






biggrin
"I saw a woman with major Hammer pants on the subway a few weeks ago and totally thought of you." - sextonseven
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #21 posted 02/22/06 7:08am

Anx

hater! lol
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #22 posted 02/22/06 7:29am

minneapolisgen
ius

avatar

Anx said:

hater! lol

nod
"I saw a woman with major Hammer pants on the subway a few weeks ago and totally thought of you." - sextonseven
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #23 posted 02/22/06 7:27pm

PurpleHippyUK

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks this...

I don't care who supports Prince...there isn't anyone good enough to even share a stage with the man...

I'm not saying he's not had good back up over the years...because he has...and it was great seeing the re-united trinity of Wendy, Lisa and Sheila at the BRITS....

...But I haven't seen prince play live since 1990 (saw him every year from 85 onwards)....I'd take him with Her Majesty the Queen playing a penny whistle with the corgis guesting on La la la he he hee if need be....

peace
We can Funk!!!!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #24 posted 02/22/06 7:32pm

Krystal666

avatar

dbosch7 said:

I hear so much positive stuff about 3121 and the SNL and Brit-awards performances, but am I the only one disappointed? I already miss the beats from John blackwell, where did he go??? Also Renato was far superior to mr. Hayes and no Candy? Of course Prince kicked ass on the live performances, but seems like his band has no real talented players just some mediocre background band!


To be honest...I wasn't really that enamored with his band of the past few years. I would absoulty go crazy if he got Hayes, Levi, Rosie and Michael B back together. I LOVE MICHAEL B!!!!! The best drummer Prince ever had imo!
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #25 posted 02/22/06 9:08pm

jone70

avatar

I'm not feelin the current line up either. (I don't mean Wendy, Lisa & Sheila--I think that was a special guest appearance.) I mean Cora, Josh, Mr. Hayes, Nandy & Maya as "back up singers." I saw the Tamar concert in NYC and don't get me wrong, the band was good, but not outstanding, imho. I am really hoping that this line up will be Tamar's band and that Prince will have his own line up for the tour.

All accounts I've read state that Tamar will be Prince's opening act on 3121--so my thought then is: is it really feasible that this band could do the opening Tamar set, Prince's set & possible aftershows? In my opinon no...they are not seasoned enough. Like I said, they are a good band, but nothing about them stood out. They were a "back-up" band.

I can take or leave the horns. But I would LOVE to see Sheila & Rhonda back in the mix, or Mr. Blackwell. I just want Prince to bring the FUNK.

twocents
The check. The string he dropped. The Mona Lisa. The musical notes taken out of a hat. The glass. The toy shotgun painting. The things he found. Therefore, everything seen–every object, that is, plus the process of looking at it–is a Duchamp.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #26 posted 02/23/06 4:17am

Paisley4u

avatar

Isn't it possible this was just a band he put 2gether 4 the TV appearences?
maybe he'll tour with another line up??
Love4oneanother
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #27 posted 02/23/06 4:27am

Heiress

hah! this thread
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #28 posted 02/23/06 4:58am

seekay

Heiress said:

hah! this thread

hah! you
One minute you're bleeding. The next minute you're hemorrhaging. The next minute you're painting the Mona Lisa
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #29 posted 02/23/06 5:17am

Heiress

seekay said:

Heiress said:

hah! this thread

hah! you


Who the heck are you anyway - my new stalker? hmmm

I suggest you find better things to do.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Page 1 of 3 123>
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Prince: Music and More > PRINCE' S NEW BAND NO GOOD!