independent and unofficial
Prince fan community site
Wed 1st Apr 2020 12:29pm
Welcome! Sign up or enter username and password to remember me
Forum jump
Forums > Associated artists & people > Micki Free still using Prince's name in his credits
« Previous topic  Next topic »
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
Author

Tweet     Share

Message
Thread started 05/27/15 8:08am

FUNKYNESS

Micki Free still using Prince's name in his credits

I saw a recent promo for Free lkisted his accomplishments and I noticed Prince was inlcuded in the long line of big name artists that he has worked with. Free has done this for years - despite seeming to have a generally negative impression from meeting Prince. If he has done much more than jam with Prince, I wouldnt call him on it but he hasnt recorded, composed, or toured with Prince to my knowledge. I am a huge fan and I have all his albums - which as hardly sold anywhere except though his website.

Save America - Stop Illegal Immigration. God bless America. PEACE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #1 posted 05/28/15 8:07am

databank

avatar

FUNKYNESS said:

I saw a recent promo for Free lkisted his accomplishments and I noticed Prince was inlcuded in the long line of big name artists that he has worked with. Free has done this for years - despite seeming to have a generally negative impression from meeting Prince. If he has done much more than jam with Prince, I wouldnt call him on it but he hasnt recorded, composed, or toured with Prince to my knowledge. I am a huge fan and I have all his albums - which as hardly sold anywhere except though his website.

I guess if I'd done as little as being on stage with P or such an iconic figure for half a minute I'd put it on my website too, it makes sense.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #2 posted 05/28/15 5:25pm

FUNKYNESS

databank said:

FUNKYNESS said:

I saw a recent promo for Free lkisted his accomplishments and I noticed Prince was inlcuded in the long line of big name artists that he has worked with. Free has done this for years - despite seeming to have a generally negative impression from meeting Prince. If he has done much more than jam with Prince, I wouldnt call him on it but he hasnt recorded, composed, or toured with Prince to my knowledge. I am a huge fan and I have all his albums - which as hardly sold anywhere except though his website.

I guess if I'd done as little as being on stage with P or such an iconic figure for half a minute I'd put it on my website too, it makes sense.

It makes sense for someone who isnt a professional with a long career in music; not for an accomplished veteran like Free. It looks bogus and petty because he hasnt actually done anything with Prince.

Save America - Stop Illegal Immigration. God bless America. PEACE
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #3 posted 05/31/15 2:13pm

SPYZFAN1

Well...we all know he played basketball with P (thanks to Charlie Murphy). Didn't P want to him to be the new guitarist in The Time (or with Morris?)

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #4 posted 06/03/15 3:19pm

NouveauDance

avatar

If I scrubbed the bogs for a day at Google headquarters, I'd still put down that I worked there on my CV.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #5 posted 06/05/15 11:52am

langebleu

avatar

moderator

^ Especially if Larry Page is looking for new personal lavatory attendant

ALT+PLS+RTN: Pure as a pane of ice. It's a gift.
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #6 posted 06/23/15 9:23am

databank

avatar

FUNKYNESS said:

databank said:

I guess if I'd done as little as being on stage with P or such an iconic figure for half a minute I'd put it on my website too, it makes sense.

It makes sense for someone who isnt a professional with a long career in music; not for an accomplished veteran like Free. It looks bogus and petty because he hasnt actually done anything with Prince.

Go and stop people in the street and ask them if they know who Micki Free is lol

He was a member of a very successful band for a very short time, 30 years ago, but past that his accomplishments, no matter how great, have kept him out of superstardom.

Now I see where u're coming from but I read that kind of things in a lot of non-stars professional musicians's official bio: if u've jammed for even a minute with a very famous act, you just put it in your bio, that's something pretty usual in the business, really.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #7 posted 06/30/15 6:41am

regcart

It was rumored that Miki Free was asked to be a part of Mazarati or The Time and he jammed with Prince and MF is one hell of a Guitarist he ROCKS & RIPS IT. He is one cool DUDE!!!!

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #8 posted 06/30/15 10:55am

databank

avatar

regcart said:

It was rumored that Miki Free was asked to be a part of Mazarati or The Time and he jammed with Prince and MF is one hell of a Guitarist he ROCKS & RIPS IT. He is one cool DUDE!!!!

I'm really not sure but I think he was supposed to be one of the Coco Boys alongsite Lenny Kravitz and Tony LeMans in some musical, possibly Dream factory or an early draft of GB.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #9 posted 07/01/15 10:28pm

SoulAlive

databank said:

regcart said:

It was rumored that Miki Free was asked to be a part of Mazarati or The Time and he jammed with Prince and MF is one hell of a Guitarist he ROCKS & RIPS IT. He is one cool DUDE!!!!

I'm really not sure but I think he was supposed to be one of the Coco Boys alongsite Lenny Kravitz and Tony LeMans in some musical, possibly Dream factory or an early draft of GB.

Yeah,that project was actually called The Dawn.It was a movie idea that Prince was working on in 1986.He wanted Mazarati to play a big part in it,but their lead singer Sir Casey Terry abruptly left the group.Prince wanted Micki Free to join the band,replacing Terry.

Later,in 1991,when Jesse Johnson had to leave the Time to deal with personal issues,Prince suggested to the guys that Micki would be a great replacement.

  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #10 posted 07/02/15 4:32am

databank

avatar

SoulAlive said:

databank said:

I'm really not sure but I think he was supposed to be one of the Coco Boys alongsite Lenny Kravitz and Tony LeMans in some musical, possibly Dream factory or an early draft of GB.

Yeah,that project was actually called The Dawn.It was a movie idea that Prince was working on in 1986.He wanted Mazarati to play a big part in it,but their lead singer Sir Casey Terry abruptly left the group.Prince wanted Micki Free to join the band,replacing Terry.

Later,in 1991,when Jesse Johnson had to leave the Time to deal with personal issues,Prince suggested to the guys that Micki would be a great replacement.

Thx for clarifying. But were did Tony and Lenny fit into that plan if Mazarati was supposed to be the Coco Boys? eek

Funny thing also Mark took Mazarati with him when he left in 86 so that probably couldn't have happened anyway.

A COMPREHENSIVE PRINCE DISCOGRAPHY (work in progress ^^): https://sites.google.com/...iscog/home
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
Reply #11 posted 07/05/15 8:31pm

phunkdaddy

avatar

SoulAlive said:

databank said:

I'm really not sure but I think he was supposed to be one of the Coco Boys alongsite Lenny Kravitz and Tony LeMans in some musical, possibly Dream factory or an early draft of GB.

Yeah,that project was actually called The Dawn.It was a movie idea that Prince was working on in 1986.He wanted Mazarati to play a big part in it,but their lead singer Sir Casey Terry abruptly left the group.Prince wanted Micki Free to join the band,replacing Terry.

Later,in 1991,when Jesse Johnson had to leave the Time to deal with personal issues,Prince suggested to the guys that Micki would be a great replacement.

What was the reason Casey left? Micki would have been a damn good replacement. His

vocal style may have fit Mazarati better than it did Shalamar.

Don't laugh at my funk
This funk is a serious joint
  - E-mail - orgNote - Report post to moderator
  New topic   Printable     (Log in to 'subscribe' to this topic)
« Previous topic  Next topic »
Forums > Associated artists & people > Micki Free still using Prince's name in his credits